PDA

View Full Version : Pods out till June says Ozzie..

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Manager Ozzie Guillen says Podsednik (groin) likely will remain out until June.
Granted, Guillen (to our knowledge) is not a doctor, but the team does plan to take it nice and slow with Podsednik. The important thing is to get him completely healed before putting him back on the field. Sporting News..

Thats not good news for the slumping offense.

DMarte708
05-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Manager Ozzie Guillen says Podsednik (groin) likely will remain out until June.
Granted, Guillen (to our knowledge) is not a doctor, but the team does plan to take it nice and slow with Podsednik. The important thing is to get him completely healed before putting him back on the field. Sporting News..

Thats not good news for the slumping offense.
I'm glad this was considered before the April when Podsednik made a miraculous recovery from offseason surgery.

It seems time after time, team after team, you rush a player back too soon from injury and it ends up hurting in the long run.

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 10:30 AM
agreed. He was hitting the ball great before he got hurt to.

05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I really don't think we can rely on Pods anymore. He has been injury riddled since mid-2005. If he is the answer, we are screwed. The type of player he is might be the answer but as much as I like Pods, we should expect him not to be the same and to have nagging injuries the rest of the season.

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
i think pablo should stay in the leadoff spot from now on. He has really good speed, I feel pablo could hit for a good avg if he was playing everyday.. That's until pods can come back.

balke
05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
i think pablo should stay in the leadoff spot from now on. He has really good speed, I feel pablo could hit for a good avg if he was playing everyday.. That's until pods can come back.

I thought he should be in the top 3 somewhere in the order, until last game when he was swinging for the fences. He's out bloop hit, swipe a bag, make something happen guy now that Pods is out. Hopefully he can do some of that in the next few weeks.

lostfan
05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Pablo doesn't really have the plate discipline to be a leadoff hitter (yet).

Then again, 2006 Pods didn't either.

TomBradley72
05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
It's time for KW to make a move.

We're at risk of losing Buehrle, Dye and Iguchi after this season...the window on this particular mix of players is closing.

Trying to get by with Sweeney/Ozuna/Mackowiak as our LFs...is not a World Series approach...especially with Toby Hall being a long shot to be healthy and Thome an ongoing risk for injury.

Our outfield situation this year is analagous to our bullpen last year...it's the achilles heal of the team.

DumpJerry
05-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm glad this was considered before the April when Podsednik made a miraculous recovery from offseason surgery.

It seems time after time, team after team, you rush a player back too soon from injury and it ends up hurting in the long run.
:tealtutor:

eriqjaffe
05-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Our outfield situation this year is analagous to our bullpen last year...it's the achilles heal of the team.Our outfield situation this year isn't much different than it was last year, except that Mackowiak isn't going to be subjected to playing center.

balke
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
It's time for KW to make a move.

We're at risk of losing Buehrle, Dye and Iguchi after this season...the window on this particular mix of players is closing.

Trying to get by with Sweeney/Ozuna/Mackowiak as our LFs...is not a World Series approach...especially with Toby Hall being a long shot to be healthy and Thome an ongoing risk for injury.

Our outfield situation this year is analagous to our bullpen last year...it's the achilles heal of the team.

If we bring someone in, it creates a log-jam of mediocre blah in the outfield.

I don't agree with replacing Podsednik right now, because that leaves us with Erstad and Iguchi as our 1-2 all season.... and we get that much slower. If we can trade for a leadoff 2B or SS with speed that'd be great, but it probably won't happen.

soxfan43
05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I know Ozzie and everyone loves Sweeney, but with Pods out, wouldn't it make more sense to bring up Owens? THis team has no speed, and with the bats dead, they can't score at all. Something needs to be done to get more speed on this team.

eriqjaffe
05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
You can have all the speed in the world, but it doesn't matter a bit if none of it can get on base in the first place.

Ultimately, the solution is to just throw more no-hitters.

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 11:42 AM
i think pablo would be fine in the leadoff spot..

soltrain21
05-04-2007, 11:45 AM
You can have all the speed in the world, but it doesn't matter a bit if none of it can get on base in the first place.

Well our team doesn't score, so we might be experiencing some pretty long games.

GoSox2K3
05-04-2007, 11:58 AM

I'm also glad that that Pods and the team, knowing that he was injury-prone and just coming back from an injury, were cautious with his workouts so that he wouldn't do something like injure himself in the training room.

TomBradley72
05-04-2007, 12:02 PM
If we bring someone in, it creates a log-jam of mediocre blah in the outfield.

I don't agree with replacing Podsednik right now, because that leaves us with Erstad and Iguchi as our 1-2 all season.... and we get that much slower. If we can trade for a leadoff 2B or SS with speed that'd be great, but it probably won't happen.

I think you have to make your moves based on Pods NOT coming back and being of any real help...he had a stellar 1st half in 2005 and a great post season...but the 2nd half of 2005, all of 2006, and the 1st half of 2007 he hasn't been much of a factor...so for almost 2 full seasons out of the 2.5 seasons he's been with the team he hasn't really contributed. I'd like to see KW make a bold move using some of the pitching inventory in the organization.

CLR01
05-04-2007, 12:04 PM

That is the opinion of a few posters here.

TomBradley72
05-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm also glad that that Pods and the team, knowing that he was injury-prone and just coming back from an injury, were cautious with his workouts so that he wouldn't do something like injure himself in the training room.

The guy is made of glass....he had a solid week or two in spring training...then another few weeks of productive play...he hurt himself WORKING OUT on his own...the Sox never rushed him....he's just an injury prone/fragile palyer.

lostfan
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
That is the opinion of a few posters here.
Can you say Parrothead? :smile:

2 runs allowed on 4 hits is just not good enough!

roadrunner
05-04-2007, 12:25 PM
This news is not surprising at all. He's an injury prone player that has been on and off ever since the 05 all star break. It's also not surprising to see Thome on the DL. Kenny is to blame for creating a roster not capable of dealing with these forseeable injuries. Mack, Cintron, Pablo, BA aren't helpful in this situation. Erstad was supposed to be the fourth outfielder but instead became the starter. Lofton would've been nice. KW needs to make a move to keep this team in contention.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 12:36 PM
This news is not surprising at all. He's an injury prone player that has been on and off ever since the 05 all star break. It's also not surprising to see Thome on the DL. Kenny is to blame for creating a roster not capable of dealing with these forseeable injuries. Mack, Cintron, Pablo, BA aren't helpful in this situation. Erstad was supposed to be the fourth outfielder but instead became the starter. Lofton would've been nice. KW needs to make a move to keep this team in contention.

KW is not to blame. The players you mention are subs filling in as regulars. If they were better than subs, they would be starting or on other teams.

Anderson isn't even on the 25 man roster right now.

balke
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I think you have to make your moves based on Pods NOT coming back and being of any real help...he had a stellar 1st half in 2005 and a great post season...but the 2nd half of 2005, all of 2006, and the 1st half of 2007 he hasn't been much of a factor...so for almost 2 full seasons out of the 2.5 seasons he's been with the team he hasn't really contributed. I'd like to see KW make a bold move using some of the pitching inventory in the organization.

He scores runs at a higher rate than anyone else on the team. He's also the only speed the Sox have on the team. I want to see Erstad get adjusted to that #2 spot, and have that solid 1-2 at the top of the order. I don't think going out of the organization is the real answer here, until they lose a few more games. This is 4 games in a row, not 10 out of 14 or something ridiculous.

roadrunner
05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
KW is not to blame. The players you mention are subs filling in as regulars. If they were better than subs, they would be starting or on other teams.

Anderson isn't even on the 25 man roster right now.

Your statement only proves my point. I never stated that the players I mentioned were of starter quality. My point is they aren't even very helpful bench players capable of stepping in for an injured regular. They are capable of playing occasionally and may be useful in some in game situations but that's it. The fact that BA isn't on the roster (with two players down) only underscores how bad of a decision it was to include him on the opening day roster in the first place. The last time I checked, it's Kenny's job to construct the 25 man roster.

balke
05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
The guy is made of glass....he had a solid week or two in spring training...then another few weeks of productive play...he hurt himself WORKING OUT on his own...the Sox never rushed him....he's just an injury prone/fragile palyer.

I agree its very frustrating he's injures so much of late. He looked real strong coming out of the gate though, and I don't think the Sox are going to find anything better via trade, unless they trade for power which they don't need.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
I agree its very frustrating he's injures so much of late. He looked real strong coming out of the gate though, and I don't think the Sox are going to find anything better via trade, unless they trade for power which they don't need.

Podsednik's injury history:

On Class AA Tulsa disabled list with pulled right hamstring (5/6-13/98).
On Class A Charlotte disabled list with jammed right shoulder (6/7-7/3/98).
On Class AA Tulsa disabled list with strained right groin (4/8-7/10/99); included rehabilitation assignment to GCL Rangers (7/5-10/99).
On Class AA Tulsa disabled list with broken right hamate bone (4/6-5/22/00).
On Class AAA Tacoma disabled list recovering from left knee surgery (5/4-6/12/01).
On Class AAA Tacoma disabled list with pulled left groin (8/14-26/01).
On White Sox disabled list with strained left adductor (8/13-29/05); included rehabilitation assignment to Class AAA Charlotte (8/26-28/05).

balke
05-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Podsednik's injury history:

On Class AA Tulsa disabled list with pulled right hamstring (5/6-13/98).
On Class A Charlotte disabled list with jammed right shoulder (6/7-7/3/98).
On Class AA Tulsa disabled list with strained right groin (4/8-7/10/99); included rehabilitation assignment to GCL Rangers (7/5-10/99).
On Class AA Tulsa disabled list with broken right hamate bone (4/6-5/22/00).
On Class AAA Tacoma disabled list recovering from left knee surgery (5/4-6/12/01).
On Class AAA Tacoma disabled list with pulled left groin (8/14-26/01).
On White Sox disabled list with strained left adductor (8/13-29/05); included rehabilitation assignment to Class AAA Charlotte (8/26-28/05).

Okay, let's get Abreu then. :)

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Okay, let's get Abreu then. :)

He was healthy with the Brewers but was a wreck in the minors.

TomBradley72
05-04-2007, 01:32 PM
He scores runs at a higher rate than anyone else on the team. He's also the only speed the Sox have on the team. I want to see Erstad get adjusted to that #2 spot, and have that solid 1-2 at the top of the order.

And he's been healthy about 20-25% of the two and a half years he's been with the White Sox. It's not his capabilities when he's healthy I'm questioning. I think assuming Pods will stay healthy from June though October is insanity..his history doesn't support the assumption.

jenn2080
05-04-2007, 01:36 PM

If we still had Ross Gload we would not have anything to worry about. As always that man is on fire.

TomBradley72
05-04-2007, 01:45 PM
If we still had Ross Gload we would not have anything to worry about. As always that man is on fire.

I thought we need to call the "teal police"...but you're right...he's hitting .307 :cool:

RowanDye
05-04-2007, 01:50 PM

Other than his suspect defense in the outfield, not that what we have right now is much better.

CLR01
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM

Might as well go back and get Rowand, Durham, Maggs and Frank too. We would be set.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 01:57 PM

:rolleyes:

SBSoxFan
05-04-2007, 01:58 PM
He was healthy with the Brewers but was a wreck in the minors.

So, he wasn't hurt in the majors until he came to the Sox. hhmmmm ... looks at Herm

roadrunner
05-04-2007, 02:08 PM

I still don't understand why the team seemed to think so little of Ross. He certainly would've been useful to plug in for either Pods or Thome.

I fear that the left field/DH situation is going to turn into the fifth starter problem we used to have. Instead of Munoz, Rauch etc we have Mack,Anderson,Terrero,Sweeney etc

balke
05-04-2007, 02:48 PM
And he's been healthy about 20-25% of the two and a half years he's been with the White Sox. It's not his capabilities when he's healthy I'm questioning. I think assuming Pods will stay healthy from June though October is insanity..his history doesn't support the assumption.

He's had 500+ at bats the past 4 seasons.

I don't think he'll be a 70 base guy through June, but I don't think its "insanity" to think he'll be healthy enough to play and contribute at a high rate.

TomBradley72
05-04-2007, 03:13 PM
He's had 500+ at bats the past 4 seasons.

I don't think he'll be a 70 base guy through June, but I don't think its "insanity" to think he'll be healthy enough to play and contribute at a high rate.

Wasn't healthy the 2nd half of 2005, wasn't healthy most of last year (healthy enough to play...not healthy enough to run.... SB % was .667, only 11 SBs in the 2nd half), not healthy for most of the first half of this year.

Light hitting, mediocre defensively, if he can't run/steal bases...not much use to us.

lostfan
05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I still don't understand why the team seemed to think so little of Ross. He certainly would've been useful to plug in for either Pods or Thome.

I fear that the left field/DH situation is going to turn into the fifth starter problem we used to have. Instead of Munoz, Rauch etc we have Mack,Anderson,Terrero,Sweeney etc
I don't think they thought "little" of him, they just couldn't get him ABs enough and acknowledged that by trading him to a team that could.

JB98
05-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Pablo doesn't really have the plate discipline to be a leadoff hitter (yet).

Then again, 2006 Pods didn't either.

Pablo will never have the plate discipline to be a leadoff hitter. He's a 31-year-old veteran. I'm pretty sure he is what he is. He does spark our offense when he's in there, and I wouldn't be opposed to him getting more PT at this point.

JB98
05-04-2007, 05:48 PM

They didn't think little of Ross. They traded him for pitching, and pitching is more important than a backup 1B/DH.

lostfan
05-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Pablo will never have the plate discipline to be a leadoff hitter. He's a 31-year-old veteran. I'm pretty sure he is what he is. He does spark our offense when he's in there, and I wouldn't be opposed to him getting more PT at this point.
I only had the word "yet" in there to appease anyone that wanted to start an argument that I didn't feel like finishing. Pablo is not an ideal leadoff hitter at all, but I guess he's better than nothing.

JB98
05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
I only had the word "yet" in there to appease anyone that wanted to start an argument that I didn't feel like finishing. Pablo is not an ideal leadoff hitter at all, but I guess he's better than nothing.

I think he's OK leading off against left-handed pitching. I wouldn't do that everyday. It might not be a bad time to start him in left and have hit near the bottom of order tonight. Mack is STRUGGLING, and I don't expect much from Sweeney offensively.

We need a spark, and Pablo has sparked us in the past. That said, Ozzie will probably play Mack because the opponent is starting a RHP.

UserNameBlank
05-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Wasn't healthy the 2nd half of 2005, wasn't healthy most of last year (healthy enough to play...not healthy enough to run.... SB % was .667, only 11 SBs in the 2nd half), not healthy for most of the first half of this year.

Light hitting, mediocre defensively, if he can't run/steal bases...not much use to us.

I agree on pretty much everything you've said in this thread. Pods made some great contributions to this club in '05 that no Sox fan will ever forget, but it's time to cut bait. He had groin surgery and strained a hip muscle in less than 3 months, not to mention all the other times he has gone down in his career.

Pods is done with the Sox and as far as LF, they need to decide whether or not Sweeney will be our future there. They need to think about Thome as well since he's no spring chicken and has been hampered by injuries since 2005. Plus he is only signed through '08. If the Sox sign Dye in the offseason then Dye could maybe play some LF and then move to DH for the last couple of years on his contract, opening up RF for Sweeney.

IMO, the Sox can't wait for the offseason to answer all the questions about their OF. Anderson didn't play this year despite being on the roster out of ST. Is he still in the organizational plans for CF? Is Sweeney going to stick in the corners? Pods will be gone, what about Dye? Would the Sox actually think of starting an OF in '08 of Fields-Anderson-Sweeney? KW has to either make a move for a future centerpiece now or re-sign Dye in order to have some flexibility. If he is still thinking about an overhaul next year and would be willing to start Fields-Anderson-Sweeney, then I'd at least like to see the Sox assume the contract of a productive OF as patchwork for this year.

eriqjaffe
05-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Ultimately, a team without much speed might benefit from putting higher OBP guys at the top of the order. Currently, Iguchi has the highest OBP amongst the healthy.

1) Iguchi 2B
2) Erstad CF
3) Konerko 1B
4) Dye RF
5) Crede 3B
6) Pierzynski C
7) Uribe SS
8) Sweeney DH
9) Mackowiak / Ozuna platooning in LF

But, still, that's a pretty ugly lineup.

JB98
05-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Ultimately, a team without much speed might benefit from putting higher OBP guys at the top of the order. Currently, Iguchi has the highest OBP amongst the healthy.

1) Iguchi 2B
2) Erstad CF
3) Konerko 1B
4) Dye RF
5) Crede 3B
6) Pierzynski C
7) Uribe SS
8) Sweeney DH
9) Mackowiak / Ozuna platooning in LF

But, still, that's a pretty ugly lineup.

Really, it's one bat short: Thome's. If everyone else would just produce up to their career norms, we'd be OK. Not great, but OK.

SoxSpeed22
05-04-2007, 06:06 PM
So how exactly are they gonna score without hitting home runs? :thud:
And as for Gload, I'd take Sisco over him any second of any day.

Tragg
05-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Really, it's one bat short: Thome's. If everyone else would just produce up to their career norms, we'd be OK. Not great, but OK.
It would also lack a lead-off hitter.
Pods' 2005 OBP was okay for a leadoff hitter - coupled with his speed, he was in the top, say, quartile of leadoff hitters. Without him, we have nothing at the top. (with all due respect to Erstad, in a good lineup, he bats 8th).

ThomesHomie
05-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Anyone else think we should look into dealing him or getting a replacement. I mean, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt when he came back this year, but is he ever going to be the same ol pods, and stay like that ?

balke
05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Anyone else think we should look into dealing him or getting a replacement. I mean, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt when he came back this year, but is he ever going to be the same ol pods, and stay like that ?

It would be nice to replace him from within the organization. It looks like there's nothing that's going to provide that from the minors though. Ozuna is blowing his chance at becoming an everyday major leaguer. He's the guy we want to step it up right now, and get on base as a speedy guy in leadoff.

JB98
05-05-2007, 01:07 PM
It would be nice to replace him from within the organization. It looks like there's nothing that's going to provide that from the minors though. Ozuna is blowing his chance at becoming an everyday major leaguer. He's the guy we want to step it up right now, and get on base as a speedy guy in leadoff.

Ozuna is not playing everyday. So, how is he blowing his chance to become an everyday major-leaguer?

balke
05-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Ozuna is not playing everyday. So, how is he blowing his chance to become an everyday major-leaguer?

He could step it up right now and fill in for Pods in the leadoff role. He's shown signs in the past that he can get on base and inject speed in the lineup in limited play. If he would step up right now with the offense slumping, I think he would be our LF replacement. He had a .365 OBP last season in limited play.

JB98
05-05-2007, 01:16 PM
He could step it up right now and fill in for Pods in the leadoff role. He's shown signs in the past that he can get on base and inject speed in the lineup in limited play. If he would step up right now with the offense slumping, I think he would be our LF replacement. He had a .365 OBP last season in limited play.

To do that, he needs Ozzie to put him in the lineup. We've seen a steady diet of Mackowiak and Sweeney in LF.

soxfanatlanta
05-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Although he is a horrible defensive player in LF, I'd give him a chance batting lead off: at this point I'd try anything.

balke
05-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Probably because the last game he played he was trying to hit hr's, instead of trying to squeeze one through the infield, or bunt himself on.