PDA

View Full Version : Punchinello's

Walker29
05-03-2007, 08:25 PM
After Sunday's game vs. LAA, the wife and I went to Punchinello's. The place was nearly empty except for another couple in the beer garden. Anyways, one of the bartender's mentioned it had been sold to the group that owns Mother Hubbard's and they were going to totally revamp it with flat screens and a menu. He said the new name would be "Rookie's". Anybody else here, hear of this or when its supposed to take place. Punchinello's as it is a great place to go after a game with a great beer garden, but no food if you don't count the hot dog/pizza cart that appears sporadically throughout the season.

Vernam
05-03-2007, 08:54 PM
After Sunday's game vs. LAA, the wife and I went to Punchinello's. The place was nearly empty except for another couple in the beer garden. Anyways, one of the bartender's mentioned it had been sold to the group that owns Mother Hubbard's and they were going to totally revamp it with flat screens and a menu. He said the new name would be "Rookie's". Anybody else here, hear of this or when its supposed to take place. Punchinello's as it is a great place to go after a game with a great beer garden, but no food if you don't count the hot dog/pizza cart that appears sporadically throughout the season.:o: For everyone who wants the neighborhood around USCF to be more like Wrigleyville, be careful what you wish for.

Vernam

Rowandws33
05-03-2007, 09:18 PM
i really dont want a wrigleyville type a thing..

SOXandILLINI
05-03-2007, 09:18 PM
:o: For everyone who wants the neighborhood around USCF to be more like Wrigleyville, be careful what you wish for.

Vernam
i really hope you're kidding. while not a huge fan of wrigleyville, the area around uscf is a morgue.

HotelWhiteSox
05-03-2007, 09:26 PM
:o: For everyone who wants the neighborhood around USCF to be more like Wrigleyville, be careful what you wish for.

Cub fans?

Walker29
05-03-2007, 09:41 PM
One bar with flat screens and decent food 4 BLOCKS from USCF does not make the area around The Cell "Wrigleyville South" by any means, my friend.

Vernam
05-03-2007, 09:52 PM
One bar with flat screens and decent food 4 BLOCKS from USCF does not make the area around The Cell "Wrigleyville South" by any means, my friend.Don't put words in my mouth. Mother Hubbard's? Rookies? 'Nuff said. :rolleyes:

Vernam

MUsoxfan
05-03-2007, 10:26 PM
i really hope you're kidding. while not a huge fan of wrigleyville, the area around uscf is a morgue.

I agree. I like the local dive bars like Schaller's and Shinnicks, but it would be nice to class the area up a little bit. A bar that doesn't need rabbit-ears for the TVs and has a decent menu wouldn't be a bad place to start

skobabe8
05-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I agree. I like the local dive bars like Schaller's and Shinnicks, but it would be nice to class the area up a little bit. A bar that doesn't need rabbit-ears for the TVs and has a decent menu wouldn't be a bad place to start

Completely agree.

Mitchells Tap added some really nice TVs. But they dont even have room for a kitchen. I'm all for some bars that I can go to for a decent meal. If that means "Wrigleyville establishments", oh well.

chisoxfanatic
05-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Mitchells Tap added some really nice TVs. But they dont even have room for a kitchen. I'm all for some bars that I can go to for a decent meal. If that means "Wrigleyville establishments", oh well.

How great would it be to have a place in Bridgeport much like Morgan's by University Village! That place is so trendy and would really help class up the Bridgeport portion of Halsted.

skobabe8
05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
How great would it be to have a place in Bridgeport much like Morgan's by University Village! That place is so trendy and would really help class up the Bridgeport portion of Halsted.

I would love a place like Morgans or Juniors here in Bridgeport. I'm holding onto some hope that the new building at 35th and Halsted will have something comparable.

cbotnyse
05-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I heard this as well. And I'm very happy about it. Bridgeport needs a nice bar or two desperately. It has to be the only neighborhood left where a dive bar is the only option.

This doesn't mean Bridgeport is turning into Wrigleyville. But someone tell me what is wrong with Wrigleyville? (besides being filled with Cub fans) Yeah yeah traffic, congestion, trendyness.....I get it. But I'd like to walk (not drive) out of the Cell after a big Sox win and have the option of going to a nice dinner or a bar packed with fans, where they serve more than a can of Old Style.

IlliniSox4Life
05-04-2007, 08:10 AM
This doesn't mean Bridgeport is turning into Wrigleyville. But someone tell me what is wrong with Wrigleyville? (besides being filled with Cub fans) Yeah yeah traffic, congestion, trendyness.....I get it. But I'd like to walk (not drive) out of the Cell after a big Sox win and have the option of going to a nice dinner or a bar packed with fans, where they serve more than a can of Old Style.

That's the key part. What the development around the Cell really needs is options. The more different types of places there are, the more people will have incentive and be attracted to go to the park and support the team. Whether it's a trendy bar, a dive bar, a dance club, or whatever type of establishment, it would be nice if they just had a lot more development in the area. One of the great things about Sox fans is that there really isn't a stereotype for them (well, an accurate stereotype). They come from a lot of different backgrounds and enjoy a lot of different things. For the good of the team, I think it would be best to have a ton of different options around the Cell to give people with different preferences the ability to get a bigger benefit from going to a Sox game.

MP#3
05-04-2007, 08:22 AM
I noticed last game I went to they were doing some work on the public housing units right next to field, anyone know if there getting torn down? If so maybe the area could get re-zoned and they could put something in there.

Kilroy
05-04-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't know... the whole neigborhood bars before and after the game thing is so NOT White Sox. I like tailgating before and after about 1000 times better than that.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't know... the whole neigborhood bars before and after the game thing is so NOT White Sox. I like tailgating before and after about 1000 times better than that.

I didn't realize there were guidelines for being a Sox fan.:rolleyes:

As others have pointed out, it's all about options. You want to walk a few blocks to an upscale bar? Go nuts. You want to grab a beer in the lots after the game and then jump on the expressway to head home? Go nuts.

Kilroy
05-04-2007, 08:49 AM
I didn't realize there were guidelines for being a Sox fan.:rolleyes:

I wasn't saying or implying anything like that. I was just saying that it doesn't fit the Sox game experience. Its not what we do. Just like throwing back visitor's home run balls. But I'm sure that because there's money to be made, places will open, people will go, etc.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I wasn't saying or implying anything like that. I was just saying that it doesn't fit the Sox game experience. Its not what we do. Just like throwing back visitor's home run balls. But I'm sure that because there's money to be made, places will open, people will go, etc.

Who is "we"? I know plenty of people that don't tailgate. Some people love it, some people hate it. To each their own.

For serious tailgaters, how does a nice bar a few blocks away negatively impact the tailgate experience? It isn't as if people are going to give up on tailgating just because a couple bars open up.

Jaffar
05-04-2007, 09:04 AM
I wonder if it is the same "Rookies (http://www.rookiespub.com)" that is in St.Charles. They have pretty good food.

Kilroy
05-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Who is "we"? I know plenty of people that don't tailgate. Some people love it, some people hate it. To each their own.

For serious tailgaters, how does a nice bar a few blocks away negatively impact the tailgate experience? It isn't as if people are going to give up on tailgating just because a couple bars open up.

Of course to each his own. My point was that the neighborhood bar thing doesn't seem to fit on the southside. Not that I was against it coming.

Walker29
05-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I enjoy a good tailgate as much as the next person, but there are Sox Fans that do not drive to the game. I personally take the El from the North Side to most games, therefore I'm looking forward to the day where there are some nicer upscale sportsbar options where we can enjoy pre- and post-game activities. Even Comerica Park has a few a bars a couple steps outside the stadium. Clark St. between Addison and Waveland in Wrigleyville has at least 6 bars end to end alone. I don't think anybody's calling for that, just more options. More restaraunts/sports bars in the area means more $$ for the area and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

Goose
05-04-2007, 10:03 AM

Hey...Knock yourself out if that is what you like to do. For me, I live in the city and do not drive to games. What is there for me to do? Would you mind if I came up to your tailgate and began drinking your beer and eating your burgers? Cuz that is all I have left as an option...that or go someplace far from the park to get a beer.

***** with "so NOT WHITE SOX".

MUsoxfan
05-04-2007, 10:13 AM

You also have to keep in mind that it's not just about Sox fans. The area around the Cell is a booming neighborhood with people that are paying $500k for townhomes and condos. I'm sure that the "new" people of Bridgeport would like to have a good burger and drink out of a bottle instead of a can from time to time.

TomBradley72
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't know... the whole neigborhood bars before and after the game thing is so NOT White Sox.

But it could be...and I think that would be a good thing. We get so caught up in the "Wrigleyville" crap....go to most of the ballparks around the country (I've been lucky enough to visit 18 of them) and almost ALL have more/better options for pre/post game drinks/food than the White Sox neighborhood offers. I like tailgating...but it would be great if their were more options around the Cell.

When did flat screen TVs, a decent kitchen and a decent atmosphere become a bad thing? :dunno:

INSox56
05-04-2007, 10:57 AM

After? I've never been able to get more than 30 minutes out of the lots before getting so bothered by the security guys to leave that I'd rather leave than stay. (Note: I also don't like to piss ppl off and make their jobs harder, so I stick with their policy and leave after the game)

DumpJerry
05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
After? I've never been able to get more than 30 minutes out of the lots before getting so bothered by the security guys to leave that I'd rather leave than stay. (Note: I also don't like to piss ppl off and make their jobs harder, so I stick with their policy and leave after the game)
If you check the Sox' website, it will tell you the tailgating rules: two hours before the game. Stop when the first pitch takes place. Thirty minutes after the game, no food after the game (if you think about it, it makes sense since care are driving out of the lot and if there are Weber grills all over the place, it would be a mess).

All I have to say is:
*whisper* If you build it, they will come *whisper*

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
If you check the Sox' website, it will tell you the tailgating rules: two hours before the game. Stop when the first pitch takes place. Thirty minutes after the game, no food after the game (if you think about it, it makes sense since care are driving out of the lot and if there are Weber grills all over the place, it would be a mess).

All I have to say is:

If you bribe the guards with tailgate food and drink, they'll let you tailgate after the first pitch.

:cool:

puckereduppiet
05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I like tailgating and someplace after the game!
:gulp:

INSox56
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM

All I have to say is:

I know, that's why I said I'll stick to their policy. :wink:

WikdChiSoxFan
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Morgan's is a soulless pit of misplaced frachised suburban vomit sprawl. You use trendy like it's a compliment. They trashed a historic neighborhood to build kitsch crap.

Keep it local. Keep it family owned. Keep it Bridgeport.

Save us Jane Jacobs!

WikdChiSoxFan
05-04-2007, 02:32 PM
You also have to keep in mind that it's not just about Sox fans. The area around the Cell is a booming neighborhood with people that are paying $500k for townhomes and condos. I'm sure that the "new" people of Bridgeport would like to have a good burger and drink out of a bottle instead of a can from time to time.

I have no problem with losing a classless establishment like jimbo's. But if these "new" people push out Pancho's, Franco's, Polo, Freddies, Maxwell St. Depot, Phil's for Bar Louie, Potbelly's, Chili's, Maggiano's, California Pizza Kitchen...well, then, I don't know what I'll do.

chisoxfanatic
05-04-2007, 02:41 PM
I have no problem with losing a classless establishment like jimbo's. But if these "new" people push out Pancho's, Franco's, Polo, Freddies, Maxwell St. Depot, Phil's for Bar Louie, Potbelly's, Chili's, Maggiano's, California Pizza Kitchen...well, then, I don't know what I'll do.

I'm not talking about getting rid of those great spots. I'm talking about classing up the Bridgeport portion of Halsted Street. There are empty storefronts right over there near where Mitchell's is. Put great establishments like Morgan's over there (and, yes, I DID say 'great', because I happen to really like Morgan's). It would go a long way in the gentrification process.

Jerko
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm not talking about getting rid of those great spots. I'm talking about classing up the Bridgeport portion of Halsted Street. There are empty storefronts right over there near where Mitchell's is. Put great establishments like Morgan's over there (and, yes, I DID say 'great', because I happen to really like Morgan's). It would go a long way in the gentrification process.

I think people are worried that the smaller, family owned places will go out of business if these "trendy" places take root in the neighborhood. I don't really see the great need of having a restaurant to go to before or after a ballgame (I can eat and drink more than my share at the park), but some people enjoy that. I guess the perfect way would be to keep the smaller places and sprinkle in the chains, but eventually, the smaller places would close.

spiffie
05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I think people are worried that the smaller, family owned places will go out of business if these "trendy" places take root in the neighborhood. I don't really see the great need of having a restaurant to go to before or after a ballgame (I can eat and drink more than my share at the park), but some people enjoy that. I guess the perfect way would be to keep the smaller places and sprinkle in the chains, but eventually, the smaller places would close.
I think the thing is that for me I would like to be able to make an entire day out of it. And I have no desire to tailgate, so my preference would be to go somewhere, preferably after the game on weekends, or before the game on weekdays. Honestly, I'd prefer more restaurants than bars, but I know that's not going to be likely.

MUsoxfan
05-04-2007, 02:56 PM

It's not just about the events surrounding Sox games. I have friends that live in Bridgeport and it would be nice to have a wider variety of dining/drinking options than the fish fry at Schaller's or the bag of Vitner's chips at Shinnicks when we get together. The way this neighborhood is evolving, it won't be too long before this starts happening.

I'm not begging for a Chili's or a Bar Louie (although I do quite enjoy Bar Louie), but there's nothing stopping these family owned places from stepping up to the plate and putting a nice menu together.

MeteorsSox4367
05-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Since I work on 35th and Michigan (would that neighborhood be Bronzeville, Douglas, East Bridgeport or East U.S. Cellular?), we often order lunch from some of the fine Bridgeport establishments. I think that even if some chains were to come in, the locally-owned establishments would remain. Places like Freddie's and Polo are simply too damn good to close.

One thing I would love to see in Bridgeport is a bookstore. Where that would go, however, I'm not sure.

skottyj242
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM

The people that own bigger bars need to feed their families too.

AnkleSox
05-04-2007, 03:19 PM

I personally usually DO go to bars after the game, as do many people I know. The difference is that I have to pay $10 for a cab ride to get anywhere where theres more than just one dive bar sitting around.

Don't get me wrong, I love the dive bars as well, but being a young guy that enjoys bar hopping (and I know there are plenty others that are true sox fans as well), I wouldn't mind a few bars around the area. I don't think the fans would let it turn into wrigleyville south, due to the hatred for the cubs and their fans. As someone mentioned earlier, there's nothing wrong with options to have before and after the game.

Personally, I love tailgating BEFORE the game, then going out to bars AFTER. Having a few bars around the park wouldn't mean that everyone has to give up tailgating.

hawkjt
05-04-2007, 03:36 PM
I live on the NW side and go to a fair number of sox games ,always by el, and am usually wishing for a decent sportsbar to take friends to after the game... not wanting wrigleyville , just a single nightspot would do fine..

WikdChiSoxFan
05-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, I don't mean to be as horribly disrespectful as I was. You are entitled to your own opinion. Plus you are a priest, and I am still a lowly personality here on WSI. Anyway, the sad thing that Jerko sort of alluded to, is that there is no middle ground. There is no happy medium where a couple chains can sprinlke in and not push out the locally privately owned original establishments. The time is now, and bridgeport residents are poised to lose this battle. A sweeping indifference has taken the nation in similar instances and old-timers who wax poetic about good ol' puffers are left in the wake. I have no problem with change, but the dramatic flip that could happen once banks label bridgeport as the next something, more developers will flood the area and the identity and history of a neighborhood will be gone. And of course, this isn't going to happen immediately. And certainly there may be some triumphs, the Ramova may still stand, Franco's may never need to pack away the Daley portrait, and Schaller's will continue to pump out senior nights a planty. But I can not stand losing a community as genuine as bridgeport to the demons like podmajersky and their vision of an artists haven pilsen... only to have all the creativity and vitatily be sucked out by the lack of diversity, life, etc. Let alone to the all out nuking that university village has done. and my mom can point out the window of her infiniti and finger the distant brick clad parking garages and say "that looks nice"... I got no beef with my mom, or with suburbanites, (that is to say, I was one...) it's an entirely different lifestyle that has it's pluses and minuses, like anything, but...

no, i'm done, this is just a rant... and it's my opinion against yours, which really isn't all that different or conflicting, you want a nice place to eat and drink, a plasma to watch the game on, I can respect that, I'll even buy you a Smithwick's... but what I don't want to see is a restaurant that has no tie to or respect for bridgeport/the sox/or their heritages...

places like uni village, morgan's, etc. work on a if you build it "they" will come... well there is a "we" that is already in bridgeport... bankers don't understand this, nor do they like it...

bah, that's it, i'm starting a bar/restaurant in bridgeport... i will serve plasmas with a local flavor... time to let it all ride on a pennystock...

once again, sorry for being a passionate jerk...

thepaulbowski
05-04-2007, 04:11 PM
It's not just about the events surrounding Sox games. I have friends that live in Bridgeport and it would be nice to have a wider variety of dining/drinking options than the fish fry at Schaller's or the bag of Vitner's chips at Shinnicks when we get together. The way this neighborhood is evolving, it won't be too long before this starts happening.

I'm not begging for a Chili's or a Bar Louie (although I do quite enjoy Bar Louie), but there's nothing stopping these family owned places from stepping up to the plate and putting a nice menu together.

It would be nice to have some more options and not have to leave the neighborhood as much to go out to do things. Why do people fear any sort of change? :?:

PatK
05-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Vernam

Yeah, who would want increased property values and more food and drink options than you know what to do with?

I'd like to have more than just one or two options after the game if I decide to go out afterwards.

Yes, there are places, but if you're a casual fan or not familiar with the area, you really have no idea where to go. You don't have that problem with Wrigley.

As much as I dislike the Cubs and the irritating Chads and Trixies, if I go to a game there I know I have pretty much limitless options of what I can do after the game.

AnkleSox
05-04-2007, 05:29 PM
but what I don't want to see is a restaurant that has no tie to or respect for bridgeport/the sox/or their heritages...

I think if bars and restaurants were to start popping up they would make it a point to connect themselves w/ the White Sox. It would be bad business, and to be honest extremely dumb of them not to do it.

MCHSoxFan
05-04-2007, 05:46 PM
This is not a bar, but, they have great food and you sit outside. It is called Parkside Cafe. They have burgers, fries, ice cream, hot dogs, steak/chicken wraps, and Italian Beef. Good prices. Owners/Workers are friendly. It is located on 33rd & Princeton, right across from Armour Square Park. If you want a more upscale place to eat/drink, go to Tratoria 31. It is located on 31st and Wallace. It is right across from Scoops Ice Cream. They have Italian food, but they have also have steak, lamb/pork chops, veal, and eggplant. I love the pasta and meatballs. Good people/prices. A steak is $14.95 for dinner (Includes patatoes and vegitables). Opens at 5 for night games. Opens at 12 for day games. Hope this helps!!! :D:

cbotnyse
05-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, I don't mean to be as horribly disrespectful as I was. You are entitled to your own opinion. Plus you are a priest, and I am still a lowly personality here on WSI. Anyway, the sad thing that Jerko sort of alluded to, is that there is no middle ground. There is no happy medium where a couple chains can sprinlke in and not push out the locally privately owned original establishments. The time is now, and bridgeport residents are poised to lose this battle. A sweeping indifference has taken the nation in similar instances and old-timers who wax poetic about good ol' puffers are left in the wake. I have no problem with change, but the dramatic flip that could happen once banks label bridgeport as the next something, more developers will flood the area and the identity and history of a neighborhood will be gone. And of course, this isn't going to happen immediately. And certainly there may be some triumphs, the Ramova may still stand, Franco's may never need to pack away the Daley portrait, and Schaller's will continue to pump out senior nights a planty. But I can not stand losing a community as genuine as bridgeport to the demons like podmajersky and their vision of an artists haven pilsen... only to have all the creativity and vitatily be sucked out by the lack of diversity, life, etc. Let alone to the all out nuking that university village has done. and my mom can point out the window of her infiniti and finger the distant brick clad parking garages and say "that looks nice"... I got no beef with my mom, or with suburbanites, (that is to say, I was one...) it's an entirely different lifestyle that has it's pluses and minuses, like anything, but...

no, i'm done, this is just a rant... and it's my opinion against yours, which really isn't all that different or conflicting, you want a nice place to eat and drink, a plasma to watch the game on, I can respect that, I'll even buy you a Smithwick's... but what I don't want to see is a restaurant that has no tie to or respect for bridgeport/the sox/or their heritages...

places like uni village, morgan's, etc. work on a if you build it "they" will come... well there is a "we" that is already in bridgeport... bankers don't understand this, nor do they like it...

bah, that's it, i'm starting a bar/restaurant in bridgeport... i will serve plasmas with a local flavor... time to let it all ride on a pennystock...

once again, sorry for being a passionate jerk...I completely hear where you're coming from. I lived in Bridgeport for 2 years and my grandfather's entire side were some of the first residents and still all live there today.

I don't think some of your concerns about Bridgeport losing its identity and history will be lost. Bridgeport is not about the bars or restaurants, its all about the people. Generations of families live there and have no intentions of moving, even with gentrification. I think they actually welcome it. Why? Property values. Most residents there own there houses because they have owned them for so long, so when their value goes up, its all cash in the bank.

That is the one enormous, unchangeable, difference between Wrigleyville and Bridgeport. Wrigleyille is a melting pot from people all over the country. Bridgeport is home to families that have been there, and will continue to be there forever. A few chain restaurants and better options to eat and drink after games, will only add to the neighborhood.

Vernam
05-04-2007, 10:46 PM
I think people are worried that the smaller, family owned places will go out of business if these "trendy" places take root in the neighborhood. I don't really see the great need of having a restaurant to go to before or after a ballgame (I can eat and drink more than my share at the park), but some people enjoy that. I guess the perfect way would be to keep the smaller places and sprinkle in the chains, but eventually, the smaller places would close.Yep, that's how I feel. If "upscale" places move into vacant storefronts, then more power to them. But I hate to see old-school taverns give way to trendiness. Whichever way people want to celebrate a Sox victory (assuming there's ever another one) is fine with me. And I'd defer to people who actually live in Bridgeport, if they'd welcome a place like Morgan's or Mother Hubbard's. It just ain't my style, and I hope places like Cobblestones won't disappear. I think we're still a year or three away from seeing Pershing described as "gentrified." :wink:

Vernam

ewokpelts
05-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Morgan's is a soulless pit of misplaced frachised suburban vomit sprawl. You use trendy like it's a compliment. They trashed a historic neighborhood to build kitsch crap.

Keep it local. Keep it family owned. Keep it Bridgeport.

Save us Jane Jacobs!I concur. Trendy= bad=wrigleyville

bigfoot
05-05-2007, 02:02 AM
I completely hear where you're coming from. I lived in Bridgeport for 2 years and my grandfather's entire side were some of the first residents and still all live there today.

I don't think some of your concerns about Bridgeport losing its identity and history will be lost. Bridgeport is not about the bars or restaurants, its all about the people. Generations of families live there and have no intentions of moving, even with gentrification. I think they actually welcome it. Why? Property values. Most residents there own there houses because they have owned them for so long, so when their value goes up, its all cash in the bank.

That is the one enormous, unchangeable, difference between Wrigleyville and Bridgeport. Wrigleyille is a melting pot from people all over the country. Bridgeport is home to families that have been there, and will continue to be there forever. A few chain restaurants and better options to eat and drink after games, will only add to the neighborhood.

Bingo! We have a winner. I bet that the residents of Bridgeport should be the final arbiters of this discussion. No matter how many games are attended, the homeowners of the area shouldn't have to stand guard of their front lawns from the flower-watering Chads on the Northside. The value of a given property will go up when the property is viewed as desireable as income producing or a "good place to live". Sometimes the two co-exist, sometimes not.

MUsoxfan
05-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Bingo! We have a winner. I bet that the residents of Bridgeport should be the final arbiters of this discussion. No matter how many games are attended, the homeowners of the area shouldn't have to stand guard of their front lawns from the flower-watering Chads on the Northside. The value of a given property will go up when the property is viewed as desireable as income producing or a "good place to live". Sometimes the two co-exist, sometimes not.

So wait, I fail to see the correlation you draw that links having a few nice restaurants to lawn pissing. People piss on lawns just as easily now with the bars in existence.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-05-2007, 03:28 AM
can we stop trying to compare this to wrigleyville?

this is development. it's a good thing for bridgeport, and it's a good thing for the city of chicago as a whole.

we can kid ourselves all we want, but the bars that are currently in bridgeport do not fulfill the potential of the market.

if you want to impede development, just buy up the storefronts. otherwise, this isn't a debate as much as it is whining.

tony1972
05-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Vernam
Why are we Sox fans so resistant to any type of changes? This would benefit the White Sox organization and the fans...

skobabe8
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
So wait, I fail to see the correlation you draw that links having a few nice restaurants to lawn pissing. People piss on lawns just as easily now with the bars in existence.

Someone puked outside my front doorstep Saturday night.

I think this is a really interesting topic. People are so passionate on both sides, and its hard to relate and understand what lifelong residents of Bridgeport feel unless you are one.

All I really want is a place like Bourbon Street. A place that is huge and has a local flavor, is tied to the White Sox, and has great food as well as drink options. A place with a nice big outdoor area, huge TVs inside, and maybe even a stage. Theres plenty of room to develop something along 35th st.

Beer Can Chicken
05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Someone puked outside my front doorstep Saturday night.

I think this is a really interesting topic. People are so passionate on both sides, and its hard to relate and understand what lifelong residents of Bridgeport feel unless you are one.

All I really want is a place like Bourbon Street. A place that is huge and has a local flavor, is tied to the White Sox, and has great food as well as drink options. A place with a nice big outdoor area, huge TVs inside, and maybe even a stage. Theres plenty of room to develop something along 35th st.

Speaking of puking on your doorstep - ask the residents of Merrionette Park and Mt Greenwood how they feel about Bourbon St.

That being said, I agree that Bridgeport needs a nice, big sports bar with excellent tvs etc. It will happen soon, it may not happen in Bridgeport but there is plenty of development east of the Ryan that I'm sure would love to snag a bar like Bourbon St.

paciorek1983
05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
It's about time something else was offered near the park rather than cheesy little dive bars. I'd like to see some regular type sports bar/restaurants in the immediate area of the ballpark.

Some people assume just because a few nice places will pop up that it will be "Wrigleyfying" the area...uh duh, don't ya think there are sports bars-restaurants around other ballparks throughout America?:redneck

If anyone reads any ballpark reviews, one of the the oft criticized things about the park is that there is no pre-post entertainment around it. For out-of-towners that can be seen as a huge negative.

Having some establishments around the park will be a great benefit for the Sox, even in the lean years.

My guess is that some places will start popping up along State St, across from Park Boulevard.

It's been a long time since I've been to Shoeless Joe's, but I think that would be cool to have one in near USCF.

skobabe8
05-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Speaking of puking on your doorstep - ask the residents of Merrionette Park and Mt Greenwood how they feel about Bourbon St.

That being said, I agree that Bridgeport needs a nice, big sports bar with excellent tvs etc. It will happen soon, it may not happen in Bridgeport but there is plenty of development east of the Ryan that I'm sure would love to snag a bar like Bourbon St.

I'm sure there are some rough nights for the people who live right around Bourbon Street, thats for sure.

I wouldnt mind to see it east of the Ryan, even though it would be further from me. With that area re-inventingitself like it is, it might be a better fit vs. Bridgeport.

comet2k
05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
What Bridgeport really needs is another World Championship. Can't get enough of those. Everything else is secondary.

05-10-2007, 10:28 AM
We got tailgating, we dont need bars!! We got outstanding food on the inside, so if you leave there hungry, then something is wrong!

skobabe8
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
We got tailgating, we dont need bars!! We got outstanding food on the inside, so if you leave there hungry, then something is wrong!

Great points.

Not everyone drives to the games. Not everyone wants to pay $4.50 for a hotdog. Not everyone wants to go right home after the game.

WikdChiSoxFan
05-10-2007, 11:17 AM
all right, just out of curiousity....

how many have you guys visited:

Punchinello's
Puffer's / Mitchell's Tap
Catcher's Inn
Ramova Grill
George's
Jimbo's
Schaller's Pump
Schinnick's
Polo Cafe
Franco's
Scoops
Freddie's
Phil's (well ordered from)
O'Malley's
Maxwell Street Depot
Tratorria 31 (I think that's what number it is)
Berenice's
Healthy Food
Pancho's Pistolas
Happiness (there's other chinese places, but i like this one the best)
San Jose (What's that other mexican place called on Halstead, used to be on 35th, my memory is failing)
Hot Wings
Bridgeport Diner
Please feel free to add to this list....

how many of you have just walked to the L or your car?

anyways, sometime this year, please try out a couple of these places...
i highly recommend Franco's, Polo Cafe, and Pancho's (<~mmmm...margarita's)...oh and Healthy Food!

skobabe8
05-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Punchinello's a few times
Puffer's / Mitchell's Tap lots of times
Catcher's Inn once
Ramova Grill never
George's a few times
Jimbo's a few times
Schaller's Pump couple of times
Schinnick's once
Polo Cafe never, but will soon
Franco's a few times
Scoops once
Freddie's a few times-great value
Phil's (well ordered from) once-good pizza
O'Malley's once
Maxwell Street Depot couple of times
Tratorria 31 (I think that's what number it is) once and VERY good
Berenice's never-do they have food?
Healthy Food never
Pancho's Pistolas always
Happiness (there's other chinese places, but i like this one the best) a few times, i think the one on 31st is a lil better
San Jose (What's that other mexican place called on Halstead, used to be on 35th, my memory is failing)
Hot Wings has been closed since last fall
Bridgeport Diner lots, usually for breakfast

South Side Shrimp House pretty good seafood
35th St. Red Hots The best place for a dog and fries IMO

twentywontowin
05-10-2007, 11:46 AM
(What's that other mexican place called on Halstead, used to be on 35th, my memory is failing)

Tacos Erendira.

Sargeant79
05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Tacos Erendira.

Yep. I used to live next to the car wash on Halsted and 35th place...ate there regularly. Pancho Pistolas is great...eat there are least a couple times a month. O'Malley's has great burgers, but they keep odd business hours. Or I should say, they're closed at wierd times.

I don't think Berenice's serves food.

The Polo Cafe is outstanding. One of the best steaks I've ever had and the service is phenomenal.

Schaller's has some of the best burgers too...and you gotta try their hash browns.

Scoops just opened last year. Pretty good stuff though if you have a sweet tooth.

There's plenty of good places in the neighborhood, but not much for tourists or the post-ballgame crowd that doesn't live in the city. Whoever suggested that the east side of the Ryan is where any new restaurants or bars should go is right on the money. There is much more space for development, parking and traffic would be less of an issue, and you wouldn't be displacing any existing businesses then. Doing this allows for the best of both worlds for everyone.

05-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Great points.

Not everyone drives to the games. Not everyone wants to pay $4.50 for a hotdog. Not everyone wants to go right home after the game.

No need for the teal. 80% of the crowd does drive, if not more. When you have lots 8 lots full and other lots around it, that a pretty good sign, and we are lucky enough to be able to tailgate with the other fans (even for a time after the game, we normally stay an hour). Wrigley you cant tailgate, so u are forced to go to the bars and restaurants. Tailgating is one of the best parts of going to the game.

itsnotrequired
05-10-2007, 12:46 PM
No need for the teal. 80% of the crowd does drive, if not more. When you have lots 8 lots full and other lots around it, that a pretty good sign, and we are lucky enough to be able to tailgate with the other fans (even for a time after the game, we normally stay an hour). Wrigley you cant tailgate, so u are forced to go to the bars and restaurants. Tailgating is one of the best parts of going to the game.

Any evidence to back this up?

Jerko
05-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Guys come on. It's obvious a ton of people drive to the games. Not everybody who drives likes tailgating though, so a nice place to go afterwards would be welcome. I live really close to the Cell so I don't need to "make a day" out of going to a game, and if I want to stay out a little afterwards I can go to the Stadium Club or to a bar that already exists. I can see others wanting bigger and better places than a small neighborhood joint. I don't think it's NECESSARY to have a place like this to enjoy a ball game, but some people like that kind of stuff. If it happens, fine, if not, fine.

Law11
05-10-2007, 12:54 PM

I tend to agree here but there are occasions when a nice sit down meal before a game is a nice change as well.

Went down to STL recently and hit a sports rest joint around the park and walked to the game.. Thought it was a great time.. It does have its advantages.. Options.. like so many here have said is the key..

billcissell
05-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Judging from the "gentrification" of Bridgeport over the last 5-10 years, it is inevitable that a few places will pop up in the near future.

Too bad Jerry reneged on his promise to the McCuddy family when he put up the new park. McCuddy's and O'Brien's right next store were your basic neighborhood taverns. Many Sox fans stopped in before, during or after games for a drink. But I really don't remember either place selling food. Strictly shot and beer Bridgeport bars with photos on the wall dating back to the glory days of the 20s and 30s.

Jimbo's at 33rd and Princeton is closing soon. It's a vast improvement over a dump called F's Inn that used to be there in the early and mid 70s. Cops would only enter the place with riot gear on, as the local thugs ran the place with an iron fist. They had a really nasty way of dealing with fans who wandered in before or after games. I nearly got killed one night after a game in '74 because our group "wasn't from the 'hood". We merely wanted to enjoy a cold one and wait for the traffic to ease up before heading home after a night game.

Yea, it would be nice to have a place to go to before or after the game. Maybe they could reopen Cafe Bohemia?

Vernam
05-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Yea, it would be nice to have a place to go to before or after the game. Maybe they could reopen Cafe Bohemia?:thumbsup: I could go for a nice hippopotamus steak after the game: http://tinyurl.com/2y4ndh

Vernam

Walker29
05-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Well, if anybody does hear about the future of Punchinello's that would be great, I would be interested. The "neighborhood bars" that many of you speak of sound like great places to talk Sox baseball and meet up before or after games. I've been to a couple of them and my knowledge of other establishments in Bridgeport has come from this board. This is definately not a Wrigleyville vs. Bridgeport discussion though. The area around the Cell is probably near or below the bottom of the MLB in regards to nightlife/entertainment/dining/bar options near the park. (and by near I mean within a 1 block radius.)

mrfourni
05-10-2007, 05:48 PM
The area around the Cell is probably near or below the bottom of the MLB in regards to nightlife/entertainment/dining/bar options near the park. (and by near I mean within a 1 block radius.)

anaheim isn't anything to write home about either. unless you're a fan of adult entertainment

soxinem1
05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
In the 80's Wrigleyville and Bridgeport were very similar. Most of the occupants were from the neighborhood, the local 'dive' bars and a few restaurants made up the landscape. Safety wise, Wrigleyville was probably worse.

Now the Wrigleyville area is a more transient population. Not to stereotype, but Bridgeport is still a working class, not too interested in frills-type, trendy stuff. We all know the deal on Addison Street.

It is great to see the huge amount of development and value increases in Bridgeport, but I doubt we are going to see a bunch of trendy, touresty type stuff, and that's fine by me (and many of the natives, I'm sure they as well feel the same).

cbotnyse
05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, if anybody does hear about the future of Punchinello's that would be great, I would be interested. The "neighborhood bars" that many of you speak of sound like great places to talk Sox baseball and meet up before or after games. I've been to a couple of them and my knowledge of other establishments in Bridgeport has come from this board. This is definately not a Wrigleyville vs. Bridgeport discussion though. The area around the Cell is probably near or below the bottom of the MLB in regards to nightlife/entertainment/dining/bar options near the park. (and by near I mean within a 1 block radius.)did you read the thread at all? :smile: it's gonna be called "Rookie's" with new owners. The inside isn't very big so I don't know how much they could do with the space. If it has a good selection of beers (no cans please) with a few plasma TV's I'll be happy.

maurice
05-10-2007, 08:20 PM
The area around the Cell is probably near or below the bottom of the MLB in regards to nightlife/entertainment/dining/bar options near the park. (and by near I mean within a 1 block radius.)

Actually, it's not unusual for a 1 block radius around a stadium to be nothing but parking lots or parking garages. 1/8th of a mile isn't a very long walk. Wrigley's lack of parking really is an exception to the general rule.

KenBerryGrab
05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
. McCuddy's and O'Brien's right next store were your basic neighborhood taverns. Many Sox fans stopped in before, during or after games for a drink. But I really don't remember either place selling food. Strictly shot and beer Bridgeport bars with photos on the wall dating back to the glory days of the 20s and 30s.

McCuddy's had dogs and sausages, including Ma McCuddy's special mustard mixes, one with onions, another with relish.

WikdChiSoxFan
05-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Punchinello's a few times
Puffer's / Mitchell's Tap lots of times
Catcher's Inn once
Ramova Grill never
George's a few times
Jimbo's a few times
Schaller's Pump couple of times
Schinnick's once
Polo Cafe never, but will soon
Franco's a few times
Scoops once
Freddie's a few times-great value
Phil's (well ordered from) once-good pizza
O'Malley's once
Maxwell Street Depot couple of times
Tratorria 31 (I think that's what number it is) once and VERY good
Berenice's never-do they have food?
Healthy Food never
Pancho's Pistolas always
Happiness (there's other chinese places, but i like this one the best) a few times, i think the one on 31st is a lil better
Hot Wings has been closed since last fall
Bridgeport Diner lots, usually for breakfast

South Side Shrimp House pretty good seafood
35th St. Red Hots The best place for a dog and fries IMO

Well of course you have sko, you live there... i was mainly trying to poll the people who drive to the park and haven't given any of the local establishments a chance....

puckereduppiet
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
There needs to be more bars closer to the stadium. It's not just about drinking, you can do that in your seat. Discussions about the game afterwards. Why do you think WSI is such a success.:D:

paciorek1983
05-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Well of course you have sko, you live there... i was mainly trying to poll the people who drive to the park and haven't given any of the local establishments a chance....

Sounds great, but honestly, considering none of those places are in viewing distance from the park, or in really close proximity to walk, noone unfamiliar with the neighborhod is going to go to these places.

There needs to be places built on 35th right after the viaduct, such as where the nu style lampshade co. is, or the mechanic shop next to it(?). Or there needs to be something better at the Jimbo's location, or places built along State St. across from Park Boulevard.

Walker29
05-15-2007, 02:59 PM
After hearing great things about Cobblestone's on this board, my wife and I made the walk there after Saturday Night's game. There were only about a dozen people in the place and it was very quiet. We may have missed the boat since we stayed thru the extra innings, the fireworks and walked the 4 blocks.Cobblestone's was definately nicer on the inside then Jimbo's or Punchinello's. I think the kitchen was closed though. The only bad part was walking back to the 35th st. red line stop. The neighborhood between the Cell and 39th has some beautiful new development row homes but it was a very dark and dare I say "spooky" walk. A CTA employee clocking busses even warned us to "be careful". Anyways, I see Cobblestone's as being a great place for those driving to and from the game or taking advantage of their "parking deal". Probably more fun during day games or big series games not May showdowns with KC. I do agree with some of the posters that have said that any upgrade to the current state of pre/post game entertainment options needs to be visible from the park itself or the parking lot to make any sort of impact.

maurice
05-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Cobblestones seems to be more crowded pre-game. Folks take advantage of their parking lot, stop in for a drink or a snack, head to the game, and then drive off when the game ends.

The walk north from Cobblestones toward 35th St is unbelieveably safe.

You also can take the Pershing bus from Cobblestones to the Red Line station.

skobabe8
05-15-2007, 05:09 PM

I've only lived in Bridgeport for a little over 8 months. I moved here to catch the last couple of weeks of the regular season last year. The majority of my experience is from when I used to drive in from Indiana and park on 31st st., walk to the game and hit the establishments along the way. The only difference between then and now is that I hit Mitchells alot more. :cool:

Walker29
05-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Cobblestones seems to be more crowded pre-game. Folks take advantage of their parking lot, stop in for a drink or a snack, head to the game, and then drive off when the game ends.

The walk north from Cobblestones toward 35th St is unbelieveably safe.

You also can take the Pershing bus from Cobblestones to the Red Line station.

Thanks for the info, the CTA worker wasn't too helpful in pointing out the bus route. The walk north to 35th, I'm sure is safe...just eerily quiet and dark. My dad lives in Lemont and I've told him about Cobblestone's, he's always looking for easy/cheap parking and he's looking forward to us meeting up there, so I'm sure I'll give it another try. Do they have an outdoor setup?