PDA

View Full Version : catching prospects

EMachine10
05-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Some of our young catching prospects seem to be off to good starts offensively this year. In particular, Donny Lucy and Francisco Hernandez. Lucy was a 2nd round pick, so I am excited to see him really come around and BA had Hernandez as one of our top prospects 2 years ago. My question is, how are these guys defensively, if any knows. I can't find the defensive stats. Are these guys throwing out runners? Keeping them on 1st? And I heard Lucy is getting praise from the BIR pitchers for calling a solid game. Anybody have any input on this?

Daver
05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Donny Lucy is a strong defensive catcher, always has been, good plate coverage, keeps runners in check, quick release on throws, and an accurate arm. The only thing he doesn't do is call games, but I don't think they even teach that to catchers anymore.

DSpivack
05-04-2007, 04:22 AM
Donny Lucy is a strong defensive catcher, always has been, good plate coverage, keeps runners in check, quick release on throws, and an accurate arm. The only thing he doesn't do is call games, but I don't think they even teach that to catchers anymore.

Why? Is this the not most important aspect of catching? Or do players move around positions a lot that it is not taught until late-stage development?

CHIsoxNation
05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Why? Is this the not most important aspect of catching? Or do players move around positions a lot that it is not taught until late-stage development?

I think most of the time they end up getting the call from the coaches on the bench. I've noticed that a lot with younger catchers, always looking into the dugout for the calls. But most veterans have enough trust from the coaches and pitching staff to call their own game.

maurice
05-04-2007, 11:39 AM
He calls his own pitches, but he doesn't call the entire game.

Lucy only looks into the dugout when there are runners on (for pitchouts, etc.).

Daver
05-04-2007, 05:59 PM

There is a large difference between calling games and calling pitches, Lucy does call pitches.

goldglovesox
05-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Donny does call the pitches and handles the staff better than anyone in our system. He takes tremendous pride in that and takes a pitchers struggles personal. The head into the dugout, as mentioned above, is only to see if they have a special play on (pitchout pickoff etc.) The pitchers love to throw to him and he works harder than anyone in preparing himself for the game behind the dish. If you go to the game you will see, he does a tremendous job of getting his guy into a rythym on the mound and they seldom shake him.

EMachine10
05-05-2007, 12:01 PM
excellent to hear, thanks guys