PDA

View Full Version : The air down there.

nut_stock
03-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Is it safe to assume that power pitchers will be sucessful in Tuscon while breaking ball pitchers will get lit up. Being at a high elevation, I would think that the only 2 pitches that would be effective are a fastball and changeup, while curves and sliders would merely be floaters that get crushed. Any Experts on this???

czalgosz
03-26-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Is it safe to assume that power pitchers will be sucessful in Tuscon while breaking ball pitchers will get lit up. Being at a high elevation, I would think that the only 2 pitches that would be effective are a fastball and changeup, while curves and sliders would merely be floaters that get crushed. Any Experts on this???

Actually, fastballs are killed at elevation - even though you can get slightly more velocity, they don't move as much, so major-league hitters don't have problems hitting them.

No pitcher does well at elevation, but sinkerballers do less badly, because they tend to get more grounders.

I would be interested to see what a knuckleballer could do for the Rockies.

Chisoxfn
03-26-2002, 08:07 PM
If I were the rockies I'd get ground ball pitchers who can throw pretty hard. I'm not expert but I wouldn't do what they are doing now which is paying guys like Neagle tons of money and someone like Hampton good bucks. Another pitcher that could work is a control pitcher but nothing moves well in elevation and no pitcher likes pitching in it.