PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Fans

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Whenever the Sox play in Kansas City, I get a little bored watching the games because their fans rarely make noise. They just sit there and don't really cheer (I mean I can understand why). And the thing is, they are also Chiefs fans, and I always hear about how great of a home field advantage the Chiefs have since their fans get into the game. These past 2 days, I noticed its the same for Seattle fans. They were very quiet until the end of the game. As is the case with KC, they make tons of noise at Seahawks games. I believe the Seahawks stadium has the most number of false start penalties than any other stadium because of crowd noise. Does anyone else tend to get bored while watching games when the crowd doesn't seem too into it? I mean at least the games in New York, Boston, Cleveland, Los Angeles the fans get into the game and therefore I can also get into it, even if we are on opposite sides. Is it just that the atmosphere for a football game is more exciting than at baseball games?

twentywontowin
05-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Try going to a St. Louis Cardinals game. They are quiet all the time.

FedEx227
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM

Oh yeah, you see these people before the game and there are 10,000 people outside all decked in gear and you're thinking when you get in there it's going to be a mad-house. Could hear a pin drop innings 2-8.

DumpJerry
05-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Whenever the Sox play in Kansas City, I get a little bored watching the games because their fans rarely make noise.
They have fans? I always see empty seats in the background on the television.

It's not like they have set the world on fire with their play in the past few years.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Are you watching Sox games on CSN? The crowd always sounds like it is miked poorly on CSN, even in packed houses. Fox and ESPN have way better crowd noise.

FedEx227
05-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Are you watching Sox games on CSN? The crowd always sounds like it is miked poorly on CSN, even in packed houses. Fox and ESPN have way better crowd noise.

True, it's definitely difficult to judge how loud the fans are just on TV. I think you have to be in attendance to really get a feel.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2007, 11:25 PM
True, it's definitely difficult to judge how loud the fans are just on TV. I think you have to be in attendance to really get a feel.

CSN sound sucks. Hawk and DJ sound like they are in a barrel and there is way too much bass. WGN sounds much better and ESPN/Fox sound the best.

fenway, I'm looking in your direction...

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I agree that it is hard, if not impossible to judge how intense fans are based on the noise on TV, but ya know, fans for teams like KC and Seattle don't have a whole lot to be excited about right now. Look at the Seattle fan base in the Kingdome, or when we played there in 2000, they were intense. Look at KC in the seventies, they were intense then. Mind you, there were a lot of years when the fan base here wasn't that intense either.

CLR01
05-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Oh yeah, you see these people before the game and there are 10,000 people outside all decked in gear and you're thinking when you get in there it's going to be a mad-house. Could hear a pin drop innings 2-8.

Cardinal games put me to sleep. I've been to about a dozen over the last few years and at each game I have to get up and walk around every few innings to keep myself awake.

DSpivack
05-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Cardinal games put me to sleep. I've been to about a dozen over the last few years and at each game I have to get up and walk around every few innings to keep myself awake.

I've only once even had the notion to nod off in a Sox game. I went alone a few years ago and the Sox were losing in a blowout. I think I missed an at-bat.

PKalltheway
05-03-2007, 01:40 AM
Eh, watching the Royals isn't that exciting, so I won't blame their fans for being quiet. I went to a Reds/Royals game last year here in Cincy and it was the only game that I have ever been to in which I nearly fell asleep.:o: :o: :o: I was sitting near the top of the upper deck so I knew nothing was going to come my way.

Nothing like that has ever happened to me before then or since then.

DumpJerry
05-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Back in '84 my mom guilted me into a Cubs' game. I napped for about 4 innings.

I did not return to that place until 2004 for a Sox game. It was nightmare, maybe I fell asleep at that one, too. It was the first loss of a three-game sweep.:angry:

Baby Fisk
05-03-2007, 10:00 AM
The loudest it ever gets at Rogers Centre is when they play ads and promos on the Jumbotron in between innings. No joke. Once play resumes it becomes dead silent again. Last year, they started blasting a giant air horn whenever the Jays hit a HR, to help bring the crowd to life.

chisoxmike
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM

I've heard Cardinal fans are very strange. My brother went to a game over there last summer and they dont like it when you get loud. When the Sox played them here last summer, the Cardinals fans sitting by were giving us strange looks when we were standing in the 9th inning.

I remember watching the World Series last year and thinking their fans sucked for the final out. When they won, the fans were acting like they had just won a regular season game.

FedEx227
05-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I've heard Cardinal fans are very strange. My brother went to a game over there last summer and they dont like it when you get loud. When the Sox played them here last summer, the Cardinals fans sitting by were giving us strange looks when we were standing in the 9th inning.

It's true. Pujols came up and my friends and I stood up to applaud him and we got looks like we had shot somebody.

And it's so weird, because they are outside of the stadium for hours before hand, it's a see of red in downtown St. Louis before a Cardinals game, so you get this impression that they are just unbelieveably rapid fans, then you don't hear a peep out of them all game.

Law11
05-03-2007, 11:11 AM
It's true. Pujols came up and my friends and I stood up to applaud him and we got looks like we had shot somebody.

And it's so weird, because they are outside of the stadium for hours before hand, it's a see of red in downtown St. Louis before a Cardinals game, so you get this impression that they are just unbelieveably rapid fans, then you don't hear a peep out of them all game.

I'm with you. I went down there last yr vs KC see the new stadium, you would think a little interstate rivalry would get a spark or something going but, nada, zippo, nothing...

There was a fireworks display going on downtown along the river about the 8th inning and more people were watching that than the game which was tied at the time.. Just found it a bit odd.

DumpJerry
05-03-2007, 01:31 PM

I remember watching the World Series last year and thinking their fans sucked for the final out. When they won, the fans were acting like they had just won a regular season game.

They feel seeing the Cards is a religious experience and, therefore, you should conduct yourself as if you're in church.

ewokpelts
05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
They feel seeing the Cards is a religious experience and, therefore, you should conduct yourself as if you're in church.that may not need to be in teal...

FedEx227
05-03-2007, 02:12 PM
that may not need to be in teal...

Even church isn't that quiet.

PKalltheway
05-04-2007, 01:17 AM

Wow, that is weird. You think that a team with as much success as they have had during this decade, the fans would be wild. I don't know, I find that so strange that their fans act all....I don't know....weird I guess...sounds like their games are quieter than a Pirates/Rockies Wednesday afternoon game in mid-September when both teams are like 30 games out.

DumpJerry
05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
I think I have figured it out. They always come up here in droves for the Cards/Cub series. They sit there watching the ballgame (which is a violation of the cultural rules of The Urinal) with the constant distraction of Chad and Trixie doing their mating dance, which only gets worse and worse with each beer and spiked Coke.

To reassure themselves that they will never become what they hate (Cub fans), they go to the other extreme.

It's an extension of the "good child" syndrome where the sibling of a "bad" child will go to an extreme to impress the parents that s/he will not also lead a life of drugs and jail.

lumpyspun
05-04-2007, 09:37 AM
The Wednesday game in Seattle was the second lowest attended game in Safeco history. So, that had a bit to do with the quite fans :smile:.

But, for the most part you are correct. Mariner fans are not overly loud and rambunctious until the end of the game. I was talking to a very knowledgable seat attendant at the game and he was very proud of the culture they have created there where there is no frivilous yelling and screaming going on.

And yes, if you go to a Seahawks game you basically need earplugs. Go figure.

DumpJerry
05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
The Wednesday game in Seattle was the second lowest attended game in Safeco history. So, that had a bit to do with the quite fans :smile:.

But, for the most part you are correct. Mariner fans are not overly loud and rambunctious until the end of the game. I was talking to a very knowledgable seat attendant at the game and he was very proud of the culture they have created there where there is no frivilous yelling and screaming going on.

And yes, if you go to a Seahawks game you basically need earplugs. Go figure.
It may be because a lot of the Mariners' biggest fans are a few thousand miles west cheering for Ichiro.

Dan Mega
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM

I've gone to a few and each time I tried to cheer or heckle I was told to shush by fans sitting around me. One guy said "we don't do that here". A little self-righteous you think?

Rockin Robin
05-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I just watched a Twins game and thought there had been some kind of bomb scare, and the place was evacuated...

Fenway
05-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Tuesday night saw the quitest crowd of 40,000 I have ever seen at Rogers Centre. The loudest noise came during the "Chili Pepper" race.

The game was a blowout early and in the 8th inning fans in the upper deck were making paper airplanes. This amused Jerry Remy so much he made a couple and threw them out of the booth.

Fenway
05-10-2007, 09:06 AM
The Jays asked for this one

Toronto losing 9-1 in the bottom of the 9th and the scoreboard flashed "let's Make Some Noise"

Thought I was in Philadelphia :tongue: