PDA

View Full Version : How Not to Think Right Now

Viva Medias B's
05-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Someone not happy with our play as of late and inclined to be a dark cloud would think this:

In the last two days, things have gone 100% wrong!!!!

We lost yesterday :angry: and today :angry:

Tigers won yesterday :angry: and today :angry:

Twins won today :angry: and are currently winning :angry:

Indians won yesterday :angry: but are currently tied :unsure:

Cubs won twice today :angry: :angry: (not that we should care what the Cubs do, of course, but we all know their winning coupled with our losing is not pleasant)

Wow! That sounds pretty dark cloudish, doesn't it? But this is not the time to be a dark cloud. Like the rest of you, I am certainly not happy about this at all. However, let's not lose focus. When we start hitting, we will start winning. Sure, being 4 back and a distant fourth right now is not easy to take. But it's only the beginning of May and the winning the hitting and pitching will provide will make quick work of that deficit.

Rowandws33
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
iam not even close to being worried yet..not by a long shot

CLR01
05-02-2007, 10:17 PM
But it's only the beginning of May and the winning the hitting and pitching will provide will make quick work of that deficit.

I slit my wrist a minute before you posted this. :(: :mad:

oeo
05-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Considering we're pitching well, and our offense can't get any worse, I think we'll be alright. I honestly don't know what's up right now, because they were swinging the bats fine just a week and a half ago. Hopefully they get out of this on Friday and put up 15 runs.

CLR01
05-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Considering we're pitching well, and our offense can't get any worse, I think we'll be alright. I honestly don't know what's up right now, because they were swinging the bats fine just a week and a half ago. Hopefully they get out of this on Friday and put up 15 runs.

They miss Anderson. :(:

Rowandws33
05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
agreed..they miss his cool hair and funny jokes...

Jurr
05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Jerry Manuel used to sit back and say, "When this team gets hot, it's going to stay that way for a long time."

JM's Sox teams had a load of talent but rested on its laurels, waiting for magic to happen. It never did.

I hope that Ozzie and his staff are a little more proactive about the situation and force the offense to relax and not try to win games with one swing.

I'm sick and ****ing tired of watching Sox games that resemble 9 innings of extra inning baseball. Why do games drag on through extras most of the time? Well, it's because everyone is trying to be the hero with the walkoff. It's not a good approach for the first nine. Enough is enough. I don't want to see the Sox facing an 8 or 9 game deficit after May because they're "waiting on the offense to get hot because it's just going to happen."

chisoxfanatic
05-02-2007, 10:34 PM

What happens when this catches up with our pitching and IT goes south? This is just unacceptable for our offense. There's nothing around that.

Jurr
05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
What happens when this catches up with our pitching and IT goes south? This is just unacceptable for our offense. There's nothing around that.
It's definitely my biggest worry.

chisoxfanatic
05-02-2007, 10:39 PM
It's definitely my biggest worry.
Seriously, Mark Buehrle's the only one of our main guys who are on contract years right now who's making ANY case for himself right now. A month is way too long for this to be going. We're already in May now, guys. April's over!

Viva Medias B's
05-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Twins lose :smile:

dcb56
05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Someone not happy with our play as of late and inclined to be a dark cloud would think this:

Wow! That sounds pretty dark cloudish, doesn't it? But this is not the time to be a dark cloud. Like the rest of you, I am certainly not happy about this at all. However, let's not lose focus. When we start hitting, we will start winning. Sure, being 4 back and a distant fourth right now is not easy to take. But it's only the beginning of May and the winning the hitting and pitching will provide will make quick work of that deficit.

Um, the team is under .500 and in 4th place, so I don't think there's such a thing as a dark cloud at this point. This isn't 2005 when people would wet their pants after the Sox, who had already built a substantial division lead, would drop a game or two. Right now the offense is garbage and the team isn't winning, so is it really that big a deal that some people choose to vent their frustrations on an internet message board? Besides, the people freaking out here seem rather pedestrian compared to what's been going on during the radio postgame shows.

Frontman
05-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Jerry Manuel used to sit back and say, "When this team gets hot, it's going to stay that way for a long time."

JM's Sox teams had a load of talent but rested on its laurels, waiting for magic to happen. It never did.

I hope that Ozzie and his staff are a little more proactive about the situation and force the offense to relax and not try to win games with one swing.

I'm sick and ****ing tired of watching Sox games that resemble 9 innings of extra inning baseball. Why do games drag on through extras most of the time? Well, it's because everyone is trying to be the hero with the walkoff. It's not a good approach for the first nine. Enough is enough. I don't want to see the Sox facing an 8 or 9 game deficit after May because they're "waiting on the offense to get hot because it's just going to happen."

And I think Ozzie is trying. Mixing up the lineup, trying players all over, not resting on anything. I feel bad that Danks got the loss today, as I really think Ozzie was hoping for a go-ahead run just to get him a W finally.

If this team is in "Oh-woe-is-us" mode since Pods and Thome are on the shelf, someone needs to kick them hard in the rear and tell them to get up, dust themselves off, and get out there and play flamin' baseball already.

I'm not in :chickenlittle mode, not by a long shot, but I'm certainly not enjoying White Sox baseball right now. For cryin' out loud, I've begun to catch myself thinking, "Well, we're in the 7/8/9th inning, how are the Sox going to blow it this time?" And that's terrible, but their track record hasn't given me a ton of optimism. And its not "well, the bullpen stinks or the pitching stinks" is bonehead plays in the field, as well as not knowing how to get on base, much less manufacture runs.

Meh, we got a 3 game set against the Angels. Let's get at least 2 out of 3 in LA, and I'll feel better.

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Well, I'm not ready to jump off the ship yet but I'm taking close note of the emergency exits and re-reading what to do in case of an emergency....someone mentioned "what happens if the pitching goes south?" then we wind up looking like the Nationals. Maybe I'm nervous because we waited all of last year for this team to hit its "stride" or maybe the memories of Jerry Manuel's talent loaded teams that did squat are re-emerging (already mentioned, I know) but this team just hasn't shown me a whole lot, especially since Thome and Pods went down. We're not by any means out of it and it is soo early, but we need to show some signs of life and soon. It's impossible to win a pennant in May, but it is very possible to lose one.

Rowandws33
05-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Sox wait on the longball 2 much

BeviBall!
05-03-2007, 08:32 AM
The lineup without Thome and a healthy Pods is a 4th place team in this division, so I'm not sure why people are surprised. Weather the injury storm and hope it comes around. What else can you do?

Railsplitter
05-03-2007, 09:00 AM
The lineup without Thome and a healthy Pods is a 4th place team in this division, so I'm not sure why people are surprised. Weather the injury storm and hope it comes around. What else can you do?

Try hitting golf balls in BP, as in Mr. Baseball

cws05champ
05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm just waiting for the White Flag posts to start: Trade Burhrle and Dye now so we get major talent in return!!!!

We'll turn it around soon, I just hope the Sox don't dig a 10 game hole to get out of!

credefan24
05-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Well, they definately need to find their stroke. But, at least the starting pitching is not slumping. I think that once they get out of this offensive slump, they'll start putting together some wins.

nevr say dye sox
05-03-2007, 10:29 AM
KW needs to upgrade the bench next yr. Our bench flat out sucks! Cinton is a decnt utility guy, but his bat is terrible. Macowiak flat out sucks. Our bench did nothing last year and KW stuck with it this yr. It is need of definate upgrade next season!

itsnotrequired
05-03-2007, 11:10 AM
KW needs to upgrade the bench next yr. Our bench flat out sucks! Cinton is a decnt utility guy, but his bat is terrible. Macowiak flat out sucks. Our bench did nothing last year and KW stuck with it this yr. It is need of definate upgrade next season!

The Sox bench is just fine at doing what they do...being bench players. These guys should not be making regular starts but are forced to due to injuries.

So people are calling for the benches head now? If some on WSI had their way, half the team and coaching staff would be gone by now.

soxfanatlanta
05-03-2007, 11:11 AM

Alex Cintron .285/.310
Rob Mackowiak .290/.360
Ross Gload .327/.354
Pablo Ozuna .328/.365

Seriously, they sucked big time. We had the sense to get rid of Gload, but why stop there? What the hell are these bums still doing here?

Ugh...

FedEx227
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM

The main problem is our bench has turned into our starting OF. That's a problem. Our bench is one of the best in the league, at being bench players, not everyday guys.

Chez
05-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I gotta say that after the World Series Championship in 2005, losses and short losing streaks just don't bother me like they use to. Relax. Once we get healthy, we'll get right back in the race.

nevr say dye sox
05-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I remember last year reading on WSI as soon as our pitching turns around will start winning. Well it never did, and the Sox came in third place. Were four games back, and by the end of this weekend it could be seven. Now there saying it looks like Posednik is going to be out another month, which means June. And Thome isn't looking promising either. I don't think our line up is good with Mackowiak, and Terrero, and Ozuna in it.

lostfan
05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I remember last year reading on WSI as soon as our pitching turns around will start winning. Well it never did, and the Sox came in third place. Were four games back, and by the end of this weekend it could be seven. Now there saying it looks like Posednik is going to be out another month, which means June. And Thome isn't looking promising either. I don't think our line up is good with Mackowiak, and Terrero, and Ozuna in it.
They're not supposed to be in the lineup. Like some posters said before me, the team wasn't designed for these guys to be starting everyday.

jenn2080
05-03-2007, 02:04 PM

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

This is absolutely tree.

kevingrt
05-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I slit my wrist a minute before you posted this. :(: :mad:

I have a band aid.

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

This is absolutely tree.Elm? Oak? Maple?

Edit: How stupid of me. You made it quite clear: Banana tree!

PalehosePlanet
05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
I guess what's bothering me the most through this inexplicable offensive drought is the fact that Cleveland is winning. In '05 we had the hot start and made the postseason, Detroit last year: hot start, made the postseason. I just hope Cleveland cools off before they get off to a 30-15 type start because the way we're floundering we could be 9 or 10 back by that time.

BanditJimmy
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
What makes me sick from all of this is that there is not a single guy in the farm system (offense) that can help this team out today. This why we have continue to run Mack and Cintron out there. It is times like these where you need a hot shot prospect to step up and run with the opportunity to play ML baseball.

CLR01
05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I have a band aid.

If it doesn't have a cartoon figure on it I don't want it. Flesh colored band-aides are for old people.

nevr say dye sox
05-03-2007, 03:38 PM
What baffles me is that with Thome and Posednik's recent sting of injuries the past couple years, that we don't have replacements on the bench to sub for these guys! I understand that the bench players are not intended to play every day as some suggest, what plan did we have in place if injuries took place. The Sox have been one of the most fortunate teams the last few years as far as injuries go. With an aging team like the Sox, and knowing Crede's situation and Posednik's off season surgery, Thome's history, Dye's history of injuries. I would have thought KW would have put people on the bench who could fill in better than the guys we have!

itsnotrequired
05-03-2007, 03:49 PM
What baffles me is that with Thome and Posednik's recent sting of injuries the past couple years, that we don't have replacements on the bench to sub for these guys! I understand that the bench players are not intended to play every day as some suggest, what plan did we have in place if injuries took place. The Sox have been one of the most fortunate teams the last few years as far as injuries go. With an aging team like the Sox, and knowing Crede's situation and Posednik's off season surgery, Thome's history, Dye's history of injuries. I would have thought KW would have put people on the bench who could fill in better than the guys we have!

We have replacements on the bench and they are subbing in as expected. Are you expecting the Sox to have a guy with Thome's production sitting on the bench? Or a guy with Pods speed? If bench guys had these qualities, they would be the regular starter or on another team.

The Sox have one of the better benches in the league. What's the problem?

nevr say dye sox
05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm not looking to replace Thome's or Posednik's production. However, I think just a little production from the bench would be great!

Mackowiak AVG .160 Slug .280 OBP .222
Ozuna AVG .222 Slug .296 OBP .250
Cintron AVG .083 Slug ..083 OBP .154

To me looks like our bench sucks! Their avgerages at the end of the season is meaning less. We need timely hitting and these three are automatic outs! So what your telling me is our bench is one of the best in the league if they don't have to play!

Frontman
05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
I gotta say that after the World Series Championship in 2005, losses and short losing streaks just don't bother me like they use to. Relax. Once we get healthy, we'll get right back in the race.

Oh so true, as we can beat teams in our division when healthy. Its not like we can't defeat the Twins/Tigers/Indians. The Royals seem to be the only team that gives us a hard time, for whatever reason. We're going to be fine, I just hope the fans will hang in there.

(Looks for tickets for upcoming games. Sees many sell outs.) Ok, not so worried about the fanbase either.

We're getting back on track.