PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Roger Clemens sweepstakes?

Fenway
05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Roger is now hinting he may make a decision in 2 weeks

I *think* he coming to Boston but knowing him he could wind up in Detroit

Oblong
05-02-2007, 02:47 PM
He and Brett Favre need to get a room. I can't imagine Roger's act going over well with teammates. They bust their butt from February on but this guy can just come and go as he pleases?

skottyj242
05-02-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the Royals on this one. How can he pass up playing with Ross Gload?

MDF3530
05-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Here's an even better poll option: who gives a crap about where a broken-down 45 year old pitcher goes?

spiffie
05-02-2007, 02:57 PM
He and Brett Favre need to get a room. I can't imagine Roger's act going over well with teammates. They bust their butt from February on but this guy can just come and go as he pleases?
It's amazing how when a guy puts up a 2.20 ERA over the last three years guys seem to find a way to deal with the inequity of it all.

That said, though I suspect he goes to the Yankees (because Steinbrenner will basically have to hand him a blank check at this point), he should stay in Houston. People forget that his ERA during his last three AL seasons was 3.90, over a run and a half higher than the last years in the NL. If he comes to the AL he will be good, but not a savior for any team. In that regard he might be a great fit right now for the Red Sox. They pretty much have unlimited money to spend, and can justify blowing $20 million on a solid #5 starter.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Where's the option for "I don't care?"

Fenway
05-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I dunno Eric Wilbur on Boston.com makes a good point

I know, youre as excited about the annual Roger Clemens sweepstakes (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070501&content_id=1940091&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) as anyone, but this year its a no-brainer. Is there any doubt Clemens will come to Boston now? We may as well declare it inevitable. No matter how badly New York might need him, Clemens has to be a bit concerned that hed be next in the line of walking wounded.

According to Yahoo.com (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Five-and-Fly-A-s-shopping-Harden-?urn=mlb,30852&post_comment=1&success=1), the As recently dialed up the Red Sox wondering if they might be interested in making a deal for talented righty Rich Harden, who is currently on the disabled list with a sore shoulder. The call to the Red Sox could have been an effort to tempt the New York Yankees, who are not yet frantic over their starting pitching, but could be soon and, perhaps, should be, writes Tim Brown.

Sure. Because thats all the Yankees need now, another oft-injured arm to join their injury brigade. I suppose he and Pavano would at least have a fine time having each other as gin rummy partners, but risky all the same.
Which means its perfect for the Yankees.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2007/05/02/curse_reversed/index.html

UserNameBlank
05-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Roger will. What is he going to make 1.5mil per start? 2mil per start? And he won't even travel with the team?

What a joke. **** you Roger. Take your steroids and retire.

PaulDrake
05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Roger will. What is he going to make 1.5mil per start? 2mil per start? And he won't even travel with the team?

What a joke. **** you Roger. Take your steroids and retire. My sentiments exactly.

Domeshot17
05-02-2007, 04:03 PM
My guy says he retires. The only option for what he wants is Houston. I could see him back in Houston for a 2nd half, either for playoff run, or to play with his called up son. I know thats a big deal to him, seeing his son play.

I doubt Boston is going to let him only show up days he pitches, but who knows. After Theo's bitch fest about how they can't compete with the Yankees financially, he seems to have gotten an open pocketbook. I will laugh so hard when Boston, if they get clemens, has the leagues oldest and most overpaid pitching staff go down in the playoffs again.

The Red Sox have become the team they hate the most. They don't develop their own talent, they just try and buy a winner. They will need clemens in the 2nd half, because Dice K will get hit harder in the 2nd half when teams have seen him, Schilling is due for a DL trip, Beckett has been pullin W's out of his ass, Wakefield still sucks, and I really have a feeling Paplebon is going to feel the Bobby Jenks later on this year, as the arm starts to tire and teams start to figure out his stuff.

JermaineDye05
05-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Just retire already. He's a great pitcher, but seriously enough is enough.

PKalltheway
05-02-2007, 07:03 PM
I voted that he would retire. I agree with Domeshot, if he decides that he wants to come back, I think it will be with Houston.

If he does decide to come back, I hope he gets his ass kicked so he could FINALLY be convinced to retire.

FedEx227
05-02-2007, 07:05 PM

+1 Vote for this choice

Dan the Man
05-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Wherever it is, he better land on my fantasy team.

chisoxmike
05-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Where's the "Who cares" option.

He'll probably go to the Red Sox because the Yankees blow right now.

MarySwiss
05-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Put me down as yet another person who could not give less of a ****. Fens, I love ya, but PLEEZE! Roger "the codger" Clemens?

IndianWhiteSox
05-03-2007, 04:42 AM

That's what I was wondering.

What a joke. **** you Roger. Take your steroids and retire.

Truer words couldn't have been said.

russ99
05-03-2007, 08:21 AM
My guy says he retires. The only option for what he wants is Houston. I could see him back in Houston for a 2nd half, either for playoff run, or to play with his called up son. I know thats a big deal to him, seeing his son play.

And the Astros could use him, since their rotation seems to be Oswalt and 4 other guys.

However, I don't see Houston paying him a prorated 20+ million a season again, regardless of how many butts he puts in the seats.

He'd be a fool to go back to New York, and ride that sinking ship down.

I'd say the chances are 35% Boston, 15% Houston, 5% New York, 50% retire

Flight #24
05-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Or maybe back to NYC......:rolleyes:

StillMissOzzie
05-06-2007, 06:03 PM

That just might have been the shortest "two weeks" in MLB history.
And no, it was neither the Red Sox nor the Tigers, but the damn Yankees.

Other than that, you hit this one out of the park, fenway...

SMO
:gulp: