PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hughes hurt already

thomas35forever
05-01-2007, 11:51 PM
He could miss 4-6 weeks.
ttp://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270501113

05-01-2007, 11:55 PM
That sucks. Not good for the ol' Fantasy team after waiting on this guy to come up.

No hitting going in the 7th and he hurts his hammy. Some luck for the Yankees.

briguy27
05-02-2007, 07:43 AM
just when u think they have NO pitching, hughes comes along. and hes gone just like that:o:

DrewSox56
05-02-2007, 08:03 AM
That sucks. Not good for the ol' Fantasy team after waiting on this guy to come up.

No hitting going in the 7th and he hurts his hammy. Some luck for the Yankees.

Luck?

I was flipping around last night and saw the Yanks were up 6-0 in the bottom of the 4th and I thought to myself: With all their injuries in the SP, having had a day off yesterday to rest their pen, and after watching another guy go down over the weekend due to freak things, I really hope Torre has enough god given sense to sit him down and not push it after only 10 innings of experience up here....

Then I saw on sports center this morning that he didn't.

If I'm a Yankee fan (which I'm not), I'm pretty sure I'd put this one squarely on Torre's shoulders. Sure hindsight makes it easy to make that comment now, but I still think it was pretty damn irresponsible to push a 20 year old, #1 prospect with less than 20 IP of experience at this level, that far in a throw away game against the Rangers just for the possibility of a no-no against a team that was already pwned to that degree this year.

My two cents..

Madvora
05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
The link at the top doesn't work. Here's another one.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20070501_NYY@TEX

What's with the Rangers? Almost 2 no hitters thrown agains them in a matter of weeks.

soxfan13
05-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Luck?

I was flipping around last night and saw the Yanks were up 6-0 in the bottom of the 4th and I thought to myself: With all their injuries in the SP, having had a day off yesterday to rest their pen, and after watching another guy go down over the weekend due to freak things, I really hope Torre has enough god given sense to sit him down and not push it after only 10 innings of experience up here....

If I'm a Yankee fan (which I'm not), I'm pretty sure I'd put this one squarely on Torre's shoulders. Sure hindsight makes it easy to make that comment now, but I still think it was pretty damn irresponsible to push a 20 year old, #1 prospect with less than 20 IP of experience at this level, that far in a throw away game against the Rangers just for the possibility of a no-no against a team that was already pwned to that degree this year.

My two cents..

Both quotes are ridiculous. How can you blame Torre. The kid wouldnt have pitched more then 5 or 6 innings if he was in the minors. Come on give me a break!!

the gooch
05-02-2007, 11:19 AM
6 1/3 innings with 0 hits and 3 walks.
Hughes was facing the 22nd Texas batter and only threw 80 pitches.
Major League pitches cause just as much wear and tear as Minor League pitches, and unless your concern was for a leg injury, not an arm injury, I don't think you have any grounds to blame Torre.

The fact that the Yankees set a MLB record for using at least 5 pitchers for 10 straight games prior to this one didn't come across to you as a need to rest their bullpen? What Hughes was doing was clearly answering many NY prayers before he got injured. Torre would have been killed in the parking lot if he pulled a guy in the middle of a no-hitter after 80 pitches and the bullpen overused like they were.

DrewSox56
05-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Torre would have been killed in the parking lot if he pulled a guy in the middle of a no-hitter after 80 pitches and the bullpen overused like they were.

Yeah, that's probably true too. It's an unenviable situation, no doubt.

At the same time, you just had to know something bad was going to happen....

ma-gaga
05-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I really hope Torre has enough god given sense to sit him down and not push it after only 10 innings of experience up here....
I'm pretty sure I'd put this one squarely on Torre's shoulders. Sure hindsight makes it easy to make that comment now.

Good lord. This is one of the most rediculous statements I've EVER seen on this site. Although, every year someone amazes me with a stupid comment...

He threw 80 pitches.

I hope Ozzie doesn't "push" Danks. How many innings of Major League experience does he have? He's clearly a baby and must be treated with baby gloves.

:?:

CubKilla
05-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Luck?

My two cents..

I would have liked to see what you would have posted if Ozzie pulled MB a few weeks ago.

Like all things Yankee this season, Torre is blameless IMHO.

DrewSox56
05-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Guys - I'm sorry the point I was trying to make was so upsetting or ridiculous to some of you. :redface:

I was merely suggesting that with what their luck with pitching and injuries has been since the start of the season, was it worth keeping him in or could this last injury have been avoided?

Karstens, Pavano, Mussina all are on the DL. They are in last place, and had recently suffered the worst losing streak in the last 6 or 7 years. They are now on the brink of starting A minors.

MB is not a 20 year old prospect with 4 1/3 IP to his credit in the big leagues. Danks either. And we don't (thankfully) have the holes in the rotation that they do either, with nagging return injuries (Pavano). I'm not trying to draw any parallel between the Yankees situation and us, or even managing in general, beyond Torre dealing with HIS situation.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time with my thoughts.

the gooch
05-02-2007, 02:58 PM
These are the Yankees, not the Cubs. They do not EXPECT things to go wrong as soon as something good comes along.

Their bullpen was fried. A day of rest for the bullpen is a lot more important, because if they continue to get overworked, THEY are the ones that will be hurt.

If he is at 110 pitches coming into the 9th, THEN a decision needs to be made.

soxfan13
05-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Guys - I'm sorry the point I was trying to make was so upsetting or ridiculous to some of you. :redface:

I was merely suggesting that with what their luck with pitching and injuries has been since the start of the season, was it worth keeping him in or could this last injury have been avoided?

Karstens, Pavano, Mussina all are on the DL. They are in last place, and had recently suffered the worst losing streak in the last 6 or 7 years. They are now on the brink of starting A minors.

MB is not a 20 year old prospect with 4 1/3 IP to his credit in the big leagues. Danks either. And we don't (thankfully) have the holes in the rotation that they do either, with nagging return injuries (Pavano). I'm not trying to draw any parallel between the Yankees situation and us, or even managing in general, beyond Torre dealing with HIS situation.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time with my thoughts.

You are still not making sense. You sound like he just picked up a ball the day before the game and started throwing. He went thru spring training and pitched in the minors. His arm was in fine shape. it was just an unfortunate thing