PDA

View Full Version : It's official. Terrero Called UP!

It's Dankerific
05-01-2007, 06:45 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070501&content_id=1940259&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

AZChiSoxFan
05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
What a joke.

The fact that the Sox are calling up a guy who is currently hitting around .230 speaks volumes about the organization's great ability to develop players. Not coincidentally, Terrero's career BA at the ML level is also around .230. Beautiful.

:angry: :angry:

It's Dankerific
05-01-2007, 07:30 PM
The only true question is not about his batting average, but is he a GRINDER???

The Immigrant
05-01-2007, 07:33 PM
He also has no known ties to Brandon McCarthy.

itsnotrequired
05-01-2007, 07:33 PM
What a joke.

The fact that the Sox are calling up a guy who is currently hitting around .230 speaks volumes about the organization's great ability to develop players. Not coincidentally, Terrero's career BA at the ML level is also around .230. Beautiful.

:angry: :angry:

The Sox are filling holes while two starters are on the DL and another OF was sent down to the minors. As soon as Pods returns, he will be sent back down.

How many organizations have not one but two stud outfielders just lounging around in the minors?

Domeshot17
05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Terrero can come do exactly what Brian did, don't worry. He is good in the field, can get a hit 17% of his at bats (his .230 average is actually an IMPROVEMENT over Brian) and he might even make outs without striking out.

Terrero is Anderson, the only difference is Terrero probably will never get any better, where Anderson still has a glimmer of hope of not being a complete bust.

Anderson in turn, is just another strike against the scouting department that produces nothing out of farm.

California Sox
05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
How many organizations have not one but two stud outfielders just lounging around in the minors?

The Sox prior to the Vazquez trade.

For all the CYoung haters out there, he's starting to hit. When he does and if BA is truly a bust, that trade is going to look tragic.

DickAllen72
05-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I have no problem with calling Terrero up as long as the plan is for him to get about 17 at-bats per month. He is supposed to be pretty good in the field and can play all three OF positions and has some speed off the bench.

But if he starts taking at-bats away from Sweeney (who should be starting most of the time while he's up here) or Ozuna, then this is a terrible joke of a move.

I would be starting Sweeney in LF every day while Thome is out, with Ozuna and Mackowiak platooning at DH except on days Dye needs a rest, then Dye DHes while Mack plays RF. No point in starting Sweeney's arb clock to stunt his growth by having him sit on the bench.

oeo
05-01-2007, 08:00 PM

For all the CYoung haters out there, he's starting to hit. When he does and if BA is truly a bust, that trade is going to look tragic.

Who hates Chris Young? Where the hell do people pull this crap from? Note: no one hates Chris Young or Brian Anderson.

Believe it or not, but Jeremy Reed and Brian Anderson hit for a few days, too. I know it's hard to believe, but guys can do it. Two good games does not equal 'starting to hit'.

itsnotrequired
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM

The Sox also used Reed to get Garcia. How did that work out for everyone?

And what if Vazquez wins 16+ games over the next three years? Young could bat .300 with 20 HR and 90 RBIs and the Sox will still have come out ahead on that trade.

And people hate Young? Huh?

UserNameBlank
05-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Not if Vazquez has a couple of good years and the Sox make the playoffs.

It might look like the Sox dealt the wrong guy in the deal, but who is to say AZ would have made the trade without Young in it to begin with?

Also worth considering is the fact that with the pitching market where it is, 3 years of 17 wins or so out of Vazquez and that contract will turn out to be a steal. Plus you have to figure that one and possibly even both of Buerhle/Garland is gone after '08, Contreras as well, so Vazquez becomes the anchor of the Sox rotation.

I think the one trade that really looks bad so far is one that we didn't make. Kenny already got blasted for trading both Garcia and McCarthy in the offseason, but imagine if he traded Garland too. Taveras would look great in LF/CF right now and a future rotation featuring Gio, Danks, Hirsch, and maybe one of Floyd/Masset would be pretty darn solid. Not to mention Buccholz was in the deal and would have been decent trade bait for a bench player, and since KW was reportedly only turned down when he also requested Hunter Pence, it is possible we could have picked up another minor league pitcher or something in the deal as well.

JermaineDye05
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Who else did you guys expect to be called up?

4th Gen. Sox Fan
05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Who else did you guys expect to be called up?
Jerry Owens would be my guess

DickAllen72
05-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Jerry Owens would be my guess
I heard he has a sore arm again.

balke
05-01-2007, 08:37 PM

Except when Vazquez wins 17-20 games, and its all moot anyhow. What kind of comment is that? Cyoung isn't albert Pujols, he isn't Griffey jr., he isn't even Mike Cameron. I hope he does do well in the future, but right now he's Chris Young, young player with a .289 OBP, and 2 more RBI than K's. Kenny might as well draw up his resignation.

StepsInSC
05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Except when Vazquez wins 17-20 games, and its all moot anyhow. What kind of comment is that? Cyoung isn't albert Pujols, he isn't Griffey jr., he isn't even Mike Cameron. I hope he does do well in the future, but right now he's Chris Young, young player with a .289 OBP, and 2 more RBI than K's. Kenny might as well draw up his resignation.

I agree it's all moot, but stating that Chris B. Young isn't Pujols or Griffey Jr. adds nothing; a player can be phenomenally good w/o being Pujols. With regards to Cameron, Chris B. Young is basically Mike Cameron if Mike Cameron could hit for average. And if you're response to that is "Chris B. Young hasn't become Mike Cameron + average yet," well then you can't say that Vazquez winning 17-20 games justifies the trade when that hasn't happened yet either.

balke
05-01-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree it's all moot, but stating that Chris B. Young isn't Pujols or Griffey Jr. adds nothing; a player can be phenomenally good w/o being Pujols. With regards to Cameron, Chris B. Young is basically Mike Cameron if Mike Cameron could hit for average. And if you're response to that is "Chris B. Young hasn't become Mike Cameron + average yet," well then you can't say that Vazquez winning 17-20 games justifies the trade when that hasn't happened yet either.

Terrero is batting .1000, he's way better than both of them. Advantage Kenny.

beckett21
05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Who hates Chris Young? Where the hell do people pull this crap from? Note: no one hates Chris Young or Brian Anderson.

And people hate Young? Huh?

Apparently anyone who roots for Vazquez and Erstad to succeed automatically hates Young and Anderson by extension.

Crap indeed. :rolleyes:

GlassSox
05-01-2007, 11:04 PM
He also just hit a home run!

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
He also just hit a home run!
Well, if that isn't starting off with a bang. Good for him!

champagne030
05-01-2007, 11:30 PM

Ozzie really, really dislikes Brian Anderson.

Tragg
05-02-2007, 12:00 AM
But if he starts taking at-bats away from Sweeney (who should be starting most of the time while he's up here) or Ozuna, then this is a terrible joke of a move.

I would be starting Sweeney in LF every day while Thome is out, with Ozuna and Mackowiak platooning at DH except on days Dye needs a rest, then Dye DHes while Mack plays RF. No point in starting Sweeney's arb clock to stunt his growth by having him sit on the bench.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow night. Perhaps it was because he wasted an at bat by taking a walk the other day.
We have so many available at bats avaiblable for utility quality hitters (Rob, Torrero, Ozuna, Cintron), one would thing the opportunities for young players would be ample. But these utility players hack away ozzie-style, so at bats these utility quality players will get. We've seen mighty Cintron pinch hit, but no Sweeney.

cbotnyse
05-02-2007, 12:05 AM
good start from the kid.

crazyozzie02
05-02-2007, 04:39 PM
heres the question, does sweeny of l.t. go down when podsednik come back. i would perfer to have sweeny instead of some never-has been. i just dont like that seeming that this is kenny's "guy" he gets the call up before someone like fields

Domeshot17
05-02-2007, 04:49 PM
heres the question, does sweeny of l.t. go down when podsednik come back. i would perfer to have sweeny instead of some never-has been. i just dont like that seeming that this is kenny's "guy" he gets the call up before someone like fields

Sweeney obviously goes down, and its this line of thinking getting a lot people MAD at the wrong people.

Here is the FACTS:

-Terrero is out of options, so he would have to clear waivers before he could to triple A

-Terrero at this point in his career is a 4th-6th OF option at best. He is not a starter, and anything more you get from him is bonus

-Sweeney and Anderson, if not STARTING 4-5 days a week at the pro level, SHOULD be down in triple A working on their swings and playing everyday, not gettin 17 AB's a month.

-You can't increase their number of poor at bats at the expense of hitters who are starting to come around (like Erstad).

-You can't let these kids continue to struggle, because its a MAJOR set back, as much as people think getting sent back down is bad, Im sure most of them would take hitting .300 in AAA then .179 in the MLB.

-If a starter goes down long term, talking 30 days plus, you would see a Sweeney or Fields back up to play FULL TIME, not Terrero off the bench for a month.

I would bet money kenny and Ozzies thought process went like this with Brian. "Is sitting on the bench and playing 9th inning defense good for him" no
"Can he be more then a defensive replacement" YES!! "Will he develop not playing up here" NO. "With the offense as bad as its been to start the year, can we afford another month of him hitting under .200 and realistically compete?" NO