PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the minors BA

Chicken Dinner
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
:anderson:
Thanks, good to be back

Rowandws33
05-01-2007, 05:08 PM
i cant wait to see him tear it up with the Knights...Then get called back up and tear it up with the Sox...Then all the fickle Sox fans will jump back on the BA bandwagon...

Rowandws33
05-01-2007, 05:17 PM
anyone else listen 2 the Knights games?

Rocky Soprano
05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
anyone else listen 2 the Knights games?

Where can you listen to them?

Rowandws33
05-01-2007, 05:45 PM
just go to the Knights website and click on the mulitmedia you have to register but its free audio for the games..

oeo
05-01-2007, 06:14 PM
i cant wait to see him tear it up with the Knights...Then get called back up and tear it up with the Sox...Then all the fickle Sox fans will jump back on the BA bandwagon...

The thing is, there is no bandwagon. There are crazies like yourself that want to see this guy lose his confidence altogether, and then there's people that don't think he's ready right now and should get ready elsewhere. No one wants to watch Brian hit the ditch...he's just not ready to help this team yet.

ilsox7
05-01-2007, 06:22 PM
The thing is, there is no bandwagon. There are crazies like yourself that want to see this guy lose his confidence altogether, and then there's people that don't think he's ready right now and should get ready elsewhere. No one wants to watch Brian hit the ditch...he's just not ready to help this team yet.

How dare you take a reasonable position on this and not an unreasonable, extreme stance!

Rowandws33
05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
yep there is a bandwagon man..Soon very soon everyone gonna try to punch there ticket to come aboard..

Rowandws33
05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Rocky they have an minor league baseball tv like mlb.tv but alot cheaper if you like watching the minor league games too.

Rowandws33
05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
BA is not playing 2night for the Knights....odd

whitesoxfan
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Maybe he got into a fight with the Knights' manager's son.

Rowandws33
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
yeah you got it

RowanDye
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Maybe he got into a fight with the Knights' manager's son.

I'm guessing he was watching too much t.v. last night. :D:

HotelWhiteSox
05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
yep there is a bandwagon man..Soon very soon everyone gonna try to punch there ticket to come aboard..

I'm with you buddy

getonbckthr
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Too much partying down there.

Rowandws33
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
iam really confused look who is starting in CF for the Sox 2night...BA not in the lineup for the Knights. What is going on man

Hitmen77
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM

The Knights are playoff contenders and every game counts, they can't afford to give players a chance to develop. If BA can't get at bats here, maybe they should send him to Birmingham.

Rowandws33
05-02-2007, 12:04 AM
wow wish i knew tuesday was comedy day on wsi

HotelWhiteSox
05-02-2007, 01:00 AM
This happened a couple of days ago right? I wouldn't think getting in late would be an issue. How possible is it that he just didn't report?

JorgeFabregas
05-02-2007, 01:43 AM
BA isn't just going to be given the starting CFer job. That wouldn't be fair. He's done nothing in his zero ABs so far to justify more playing time.

BanditJimmy
05-02-2007, 02:18 AM

Just found out Ozzie is managing both AAA and the big club at once .... "because I can," he stated.

Funny thing is that Ozzie might not know which team is which since one of the two clubs is hitting at a .220 clip right now.

BanditJimmy
05-02-2007, 02:20 AM
BA isn't just going to be given the starting CFer job. That wouldn't be fair. He's done nothing in his zero ABs so far to justify more playing time.

BA in a battle with John Cangelosi Jr for the 4th OF spot at AAA.

Rowandws33
05-02-2007, 11:10 AM
i was wondering the samething did BA just not report or something?? I listen to the whole game and not a mention of BA...I did find out that owens was hurt for a week and this was his first game back..

sox1970
05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
i was wondering the samething did BA just not report or something?? I listen to the whole game and not a mention of BA...I did find out that owens was hurt for a week and this was his first game back..

I think there is a rule about reporting time. He may have 72 hours to get his affairs in order.

Nick Circelli
05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Is there really a John Cangelosi Jr ??? I follow the Sox real close, I've never heard of this. Cangelosi is my favorite sox player ever

Nick Circelli
05-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I am a huge Brian Anderson supporter, he is definately getting the shaft, and if he is behind a Cangelosi we will never see Anderson again

SBSoxFan
05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I think there is a rule about reporting time. He may have 72 hours to get his affairs in order.

And I would think he'd have a lot of those --- it's the hair, man!

I think you're right. I heard he'll report Wednesday. Given the circumstances, I would take all the time alloted to report as well.

Rowandws33
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
outfielders for the Knights are Owens,Kelly,young and BA. I looked on the site and BA does not even have a number yet..

JB98
05-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Anderson is reporting to the Knights today. He didn't play last night because he wasn't there. Everyone relax.

Rowandws33
05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Knights game ppd

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Awesome thread, guys! Be sure to add more updates frequently!!!

:thumbsup:

GoSox2K3
05-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Knights game ppd

sigh. This organization just wants to keep BA from getting at bats. How soon before we hear that the Knights manager is throwing BA "under the bus"?

TomBradley72
05-03-2007, 01:08 PM

I think you're right. I heard he'll report Wednesday. Given the circumstances, I would take all the time alloted to report as well.

Yeah...if you're a 25 year old prospect with a lifetime averge of .217...dragging your feet is a great career move.

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah...if you're a 25 year old prospect with a lifetime averge of .217...dragging your feet is a great career move.Yeah, he'll show them!

ondafarm
05-03-2007, 03:48 PM

When moving up you go as quickly as possible, most guys showing up pretty much overnight. When moving down, you get a bit more time. Since your travel arrangements are typically made by the club and they have your cell phone number, there doesn't tend to be a lot of grief be passed out on this issue.

Rowandws33
05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
BA in CF batting 6th 2night for the knights...

Rowandws33
05-03-2007, 08:10 PM
BA is 0-3 so far in the 7th

Rowandws33
05-03-2007, 08:48 PM
BA goes 0-3 in game 1..he is playing in game 2..Go BA

lostfan
05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Wasn't BA tearing it up in Charlotte before getting called up? I think he'll come around.

Rowandws33
05-03-2007, 09:29 PM
its just one game nobody on the team could hit that guy in game 1.

sox1970
05-03-2007, 09:52 PM
its just one game nobody on the team could hit that guy in game 1.

Same thing is happening in Game 2. 0-2, ground out, and he just popped out to the second baseman on a 3-1 count. He blows.

whitesoxfan
05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Same thing is happening in Game 2. 0-2, ground out, and he just popped out to the second baseman on a 3-1 count. He blows.

And no one else is getting hits in this game as well.

Just like the big league team, Charlotte has had problems with their offense the whole season so far.

lostfan
05-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Exhibit A as to why this debate still rages on so fiercely.:rolleyes:

sox1970
05-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Anderson up with bases loaded, 2 out:

1-0 count Flied out to left. 0-3. Probably finishes the day 0-6 with a couple K's.

Rowandws33
05-03-2007, 11:47 PM
he blows huh...how many big league hits do you have again.

CHISOXFAN13
05-03-2007, 11:52 PM
he blows huh...how many big league hits do you have again.

Probably the same as you. What's your point?

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 12:19 AM
well joker i dont go around saying major league players blow. Second BA can be a real good player and help the Sox. So being a SOX FAN i dont root against the guys to fail...Do come on the board and say sweeney is 0-5 he blows.

Jjav829
05-04-2007, 01:35 AM
LOL, the excuse-making for BA has now extended to the minor league level?

Oh, but clearly you can't expect BA to hit the likes of a 28-year-old AAA starter like Trey Hodges.

CHISOXFAN13
05-04-2007, 01:43 AM
well joker i dont go around saying major league players blow. Second BA can be a real good player and help the Sox. So being a SOX FAN i dont root against the guys to fail...Do come on the board and say sweeney is 0-5 he blows.

Name calling now to get your point across? Nice. Can you at least use proper grammar?

Who said anyone was rooting for Anderson to fail? Some are just more realistic and a little disgusted that a first-round draft pick has provided next to nothing in his stint at the ML level.

whitesoxfan
05-04-2007, 03:16 AM

This is a bit ridiculous. No one is rooting for our guys to fail. I'm a BA supporter, but to say he shouldn't be called out on is ridiculous. It doesn't make anyone less of a fan if he or she decides to chew out a guy because he is not performing at what he is capable of.

This has really played its course. Let's just hope he tears up AAA and hope today was just an off day.

sox1970
05-04-2007, 06:30 AM
This is a bit ridiculous. No one is rooting for our guys to fail. I'm a BA supporter, but to say he shouldn't be called out on is ridiculous. It doesn't make anyone less of a fan if he or she decides to chew out a guy because he is not performing at what he is capable of.

This has really played its course. Let's just hope he tears up AAA and hope today was just an off day.

I agree with this. The argument that because I can't hit a baseball, then I shouldn't be able to judge a professional player is ridiculous.

lostfan
05-04-2007, 07:53 AM
I mean, he has already excelled at the AAA level, what's the point of bashing him right now? Just let him be until he gets it together. Isn't that the whole point since he wasn't going to get that chance again at the MLB level?

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
i did not make an excuses for him. i pointed out the whole team only had two hits.. its tiresome that evertime he goes 0-3 or 0-4 you guys feel the need to come on here and talk s@#$ about him... he had 1 year with the Sox give him sometime.

sox1970
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
i did not make an excuses for him. i pointed out the whole team only had two hits.. its tiresome that evertime he goes 0-3 or 0-4 you guys feel the need to come on here and talk s@#$ about him... he had 1 year with the Sox give him sometime.

I state facts, good or bad. If he would have gone 7-7, I would have commented on that as well.

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 10:28 AM
i dont see you bashing Sweeney for his 0-2 and 0-3. So why do you feel the need do it for BA???

sox1970
05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
i dont see you bashing Sweeney for his 0-2 and 0-3. So why do you feel the need do it for BA???

Simple. BA is 25. Sweeney is 22, with limited MLB at bats. Plus, he's only here because of injuries. BA was given the job after Rowand was traded, and he failed miserably.

lostfan
05-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Simple. BA is 25. Sweeney is 22, with limited MLB at bats. Plus, he's only here because of injuries. BA was given the job after Rowand was traded, and he failed miserably.
I don't mean this personally, but that's a pretty weak copout of an argument that doesn't really answer the question.

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 10:44 AM
So you give up on a player who struggles his first year huh..I bet you are the kinda guy that when the sox r doing good you wear your Sox hat..When the sox are doing bad you dont..Have a little faith...The BA bashing thread is on the Soxclub house page so if you wanna do it, could you please take it there....thanks...We dont really wanna read dumb post like he blows.

sox1970
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
So you give up on a player who struggles his first year huh..I bet you are the kinda guy that when the sox r doing good you wear your Sox hat..When the sox are doing bad you dont..Have a little faith...The BA bashing thread is on the Soxclub house page so if you wanna do it, could you please take it there....thanks...We dont really wanna read dumb post like he blows.

Sorry, Mr. Anderson.

maurice
05-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I thought that the point of this forum was to rationally discuss minor leaguers, not to randomly bash guys on an AB-by-AB basis because they didn't get any hits on a certain day.

If you want to bash guys for posting O-fers, there're plenty of culprits on the MLB team.

:threadsucks

GoSox2K3
05-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I thought that the point of this forum was to rationally discuss minor leaguers, not to randomly bash guys on an AB-by-AB basis because they didn't get any hits on a certain day.

If you want to bash guys for posting O-fers, there're plenty of culprits on the MLB team.

:threadsucks

Yeah, no kidding!

I'm very interested in seeing if Anderson can rebound at AAA, but now that he's at Charlotte, are we still going to rip on him for every single at bat? I'm not making excuses for OR against him - I just think this at bat - by - at bat jumping to conclusions is silly. Let's see where he's at in about a month from now.

balke
05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
He lost his swing, he's gonna suck unless/until he finds it. its not surprising he didn't go down and hit 3 hr's in the same game.

Domeshot17
05-04-2007, 01:22 PM
What people need to remember is this. Its not the result of his ABs, its the quality. The sox aren't looking for him to go down and become Babe Ruth, they are looking for him to stay on the ball, start being able to see it and read pitches, take pitches, make solid contact etc. They want him to learn how to have an approach. The problem it sounds like with Brian is, he was smarter than his coaches for a while. In high school and college, he was good enough to not need an approach because he could make up for it. Then he got to the minors and he beat up on lesser talents. But then, when he got to the pros, it all caught up with him. Now he has to go down and learn how to be a student of the game.

The nice thing, and at the same time scary thing, is Brian Anderson controls his own fate. We need OF, this year and especially next. He can man up, suck it up, go down, swallow his pride, and work his butt off, or he can continue to pout and accomplish nothing.

CLR01
05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
He lost his swing, he's gonna suck unless/until he finds it. its not surprising he didn't go down and hit 3 hr's in the same game.

Yeah we knew he was all screwed up, be it mentally, mechanically or both, before he went down so this is really no surprise. It would have been much more surprising and much more telling if he went down there and started tearing the cover off the ball. He did make good contact in his final two at bats so hopefully that is something he builds on.

maurice
05-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, the whole point of sending him to Charlotte is so he can get daily ABs and get his swing back to where it was during Spring Training after a month of serious inactivity at the MLB level. Now he can pull an 0-fer without getting stuck on the bench for a week.

Aside: A normal thread in this forum gets 100 or 200 views from the folks who actually give a crap about the development of Sox minor-leaguers. This one already has over 1,500 views.
:rolleyes:

Jjav829
05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, the whole point of sending him to Charlotte is so he can get daily ABs and get his swing back to where it was during Spring Training after a month of serious inactivity at the MLB level. Now he can pull an 0-fer without getting stuck on the bench for a week.

Aside: A normal thread in this forum gets 100 or 200 views from the folks who actually give a crap about the development of Sox minor-leaguers. This one already has over 1,500 views.

That's because this thread is a riot. I mean we actually have a person giving hourly updates of BA's location, whether he's playing or not and what he's doing in the game. :D:

I do feel a little bad that he sat and listened to an entire game waiting to hear word about Brian Anderson's whereabouts and didn't hear a single thing...

cleanwsox
05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
That's because this thread is a riot.

:thumbsup: I love this thread!

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 03:32 PM
You must care about it to, becuase you feel the need to come here and post. If you look on here alot of guys stats get posted daily..

lostfan
05-04-2007, 03:33 PM
What people need to remember is this. Its not the result of his ABs, its the quality. The sox aren't looking for him to go down and become Babe Ruth, they are looking for him to stay on the ball, start being able to see it and read pitches, take pitches, make solid contact etc. They want him to learn how to have an approach. The problem it sounds like with Brian is, he was smarter than his coaches for a while. In high school and college, he was good enough to not need an approach because he could make up for it. Then he got to the minors and he beat up on lesser talents. But then, when he got to the pros, it all caught up with him. Now he has to go down and learn how to be a student of the game.

The nice thing, and at the same time scary thing, is Brian Anderson controls his own fate. We need OF, this year and especially next. He can man up, suck it up, go down, swallow his pride, and work his butt off, or he can continue to pout and accomplish nothing.
It was sort of like delaying the inevitable, so in a way the "he wasn't ready" argument doesn't even apply anymore. If he had been held up another year in AAA he would've continued to bat over .300, and when he came to the majors the same thing would've happened.

I really wouldn't believe in him at all if I didn't see him tearing it up in the second half of the summer after making adjustments to his mechanics, which a lot of his doubters dismiss. He stopped trying to muscle everything out of the park and started being smart and hitting for contact. That kind of thing takes work and patience, and I didn't understand why Ozzie started playing Macowiak so much in CF at the end of the year after BA started showing drastic improvement.

Now, if and when he finally gets his major-league mindset and approach together, it should translate back over a lot better and he'll be ready for the bigs. Whether it's with the Sox or another team.

maurice
05-04-2007, 03:47 PM
That's because this thread is a riot. I mean we actually have a person giving hourly updates of BA's location, whether he's playing or not and what he's doing in the game. :D:

Elvis has left the building. In other news, Generalisimo Franco is still dead.

I know what Jeremy Reed is doing, but can we get a Jimmy Reed update, please?
:redneck

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Maurice and WhiteSox2k3 i agree with you guys 100%.

ondafarm
05-04-2007, 05:16 PM

I agree up until your last clause. I don't think he was "pouting" but I hope he took this demotion professionaly and realized, he's not going to be beloved by every manager he'll ever have. While I think Ozzie jerked him around, if Brian had really worked his tail off, he would have stuck, hated or not.

BA probably never really had to claw to stay on a roster before and when/if he does come back, I presume he'll be doing all the small things that a major leaguer should do to stay in the major league uniform. That includes bunting, for a hit or sacrifice, hitting behind a runner, working counts to wear down a pitcher, taking more walks, better pitch selection, etc.

I saw Aaron Rowand when he got sent down to Charlotte (2004 IIRC) and he was so angry that he even asked me to set up a meeting with a rep from my Japanese organization about playing there. Well, nothing came of that meeting and he worked his tail off, not that he was a great bunter, but he learnt enough to become the ARow beloved on this board. Hopefully, for the Sox's sake, he can do the same.

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 05:46 PM
If BA plays angry thats good..I think we are all gonna see what kinda heart BA has..I think he will end up just Rowand coming back to the Sox a better hitter and a better player.

Daver
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM

As of 5:00 on 5-4-07 Jimmy Reed is still dead as a doornail.

Jjav829
05-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Elvis has left the building. In other news, Generalisimo Franco is still dead.

Do you happen to know where Jeremy Reed is batting in tonights Rainiers lineup? :smile:

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 08:29 PM
BA gets his first hit for the Knights..

JorgeFabregas
05-04-2007, 08:31 PM
And his second.

Rowandws33
05-04-2007, 08:41 PM
making contact is half the battle..

CLR01
05-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Two hits in two minutes. Even for Anderson that is impressive.

southside rocks
05-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Two hits in two minutes. Even for Anderson that is impressive.

Not at all, that is merely the tiniest fraction of what he can do if only Ozzie gives him the chance! The laws of space and time bend for BA! :rolleyes:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I think Minor Observations has finally found its audience.

Hitmen77
05-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Anderson up with bases loaded, 2 out:

1-0 count Flied out to left. 0-3. Probably finishes the day 0-6 with a couple K's.

...and last night he was 3 for 4 with a triple. So, are people going to post here only when BA goes hitless?

sox1970
05-05-2007, 11:44 AM
...and last night he was 3 for 4 with a triple. So, are people going to post here only when BA goes hitless?

I posted about Anderson in the 5/4 Games thread. Good for Anderson. Hope he keeps it up. Happy?

Rowandws33
05-05-2007, 05:25 PM
i think we know the answer to that question..

Jjav829
05-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Good for BA. That'll give his fanboys something to defend him with for another few weeks. (Remember that time he went 3-4 against some minor league scrubs? He's awesome!) :smile:

Rowandws33
05-05-2007, 06:29 PM
i dont see anyone saying that HATER..

KRS1
05-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Good for BA. That'll give his fanboys something to defend him with for another few weeks. (Remember that time he went 3-4 against some minor league scrubs? He's awesome!) :smile:

Not to start any arguments, but he was facing Macay McBride(2.08 ERA), who up until he started his walkathon, was a darn good arm for the Braves. So it's cool to rip him to shreds when he struggles when given a few AB's against live lin game pitching over the course of a month, and started off slow upon his return to Charlotte? However, pointing out how he is starting to hit after a few games of getting back into things is beign a "fan boy"?

BTW, he's 2-2 with a double and an RBI so far today. He's facing Jim Johnson (2.5 ERA)who has some pretty good stuff and is having a good year thus far.

Yes, he's doing it in the minors, but he's also getting his first shot at regular PT all year.

Rowandws33
05-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I hope BA can keep it going..Go Knights and Go BA..

CLR01
05-05-2007, 09:05 PM
When not batting or playing the field, Brian Anderson roams the park stealing ice cream from little kids.

ilsox7
05-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Good to see BA kicking some ass!

Soxworldchamps
05-05-2007, 10:11 PM
He finished today 2-4 with a double, a run scored, and a walk. His average is .333.

champagne030
05-05-2007, 10:36 PM
When not batting or playing the field, Brian Anderson roams the park stealing ice cream from little kids.

And putting Gin & Tonic in his water bottle so he can get a head start with the groupies in the greater Charlotte area. Where's Ozzie Jr. to burst his bubble?

whitesoxfan
05-05-2007, 10:48 PM
He finished today 2-4 with a double, a run scored, and a walk. His average is .333.

I'll take it. Considering he started out 0 for 7, it's a good start. Hopefully he keeps continuing to hit.

PAPChiSox729
05-05-2007, 11:33 PM

What a disgraceful glutton.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2007, 01:59 AM
As I said in another thread, I hope he gets whatever his problem was solved and returns to help the Sox. Posters here are too quick to make everything an "all or nothing" situation. You either had to want Anderson to start every game and believe he was a future HOFer, or you hated him and wanted him to fail.

It was simply not possible to think that he had failed in the chances he had given and needed to go back down (like players used to do all the time) until he got himself together, and hope that he did.

Jurr
05-06-2007, 02:03 AM
As I said in another thread, I hope he gets whatever his problem was solved and returns to help the Sox. Posters here are too quick to make everything an "all or nothing" situation. You either had to want Anderson to start every game and believe he was a future HOFer, or you hated him and wanted him to fail.

It was simply not possible to think that he had failed in the chances he had given and needed to go back down (like players used to do all the time) until he got himself together, and hope that he did.
Well said. It was a case of a talented guy who had a total lack of confidence in his offensive game. Hopefully he gets his head cleared and has the AB's to work on the holes in his swing. Then, he can come back and be a significant contributor. It does nothing but help the Sox if he can turn it around.

southside rocks
05-06-2007, 08:19 AM

Brian Anderson has a ton of potential and is one of the more talented centerfielders that many of us have ever seen. He is at the stage in his career where he needs to turn potential into performance. He didn't do that in his stint with the Sox, and they want him to do it in Charlotte.

Nobody in the Sox organization wants Anderson to fail, although probably many want him to grow up a bit. If he comes to grips with his abilities and makes them work for him in game situations, he will be a major-league outfielder very quickly; and if he's not with the Sox, he'll be with another team and the Sox will have gotten something of value for him.

I really don't understand why he's become such a polarizing figure for a bunch of internet posters. Whatever! :rolleyes:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Posters here are too quick to make everything an "all or nothing" situation. You either had to want Anderson to start every game and believe he was a future HOFer, or you hated him and wanted him to fail.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hater.

:wink:

California Sox
05-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I think what frustrated people here is that after watching him struggle last year we saw an adjustment to his swing in spring training. Then, instead of getting a chance to bring that into games, he was pretty much nailed to the bench. If he had been sent to Charlotte in July last year, I don't think too many people would have complained. But he looked good in spring and then got 17 at bats in a month. By my definition that's not enough ABs to "fail." I mean, Sweeney's hitting .167 in 12 at bats. Is it time to send him down?

Rowandws33
05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Funny how ozzie could not find at-bats for him but Sweeney plays like everday..

ilsox7
05-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Funny how ozzie could not find at-bats for him but Sweeney plays like everday..

Funny how you come on here every single day and post the same thing over and over and over again.

lostfan
05-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I think what frustrated people here is that after watching him struggle last year we saw an adjustment to his swing in spring training. Then, instead of getting a chance to bring that into games, he was pretty much nailed to the bench. If he had been sent to Charlotte in July last year, I don't think too many people would have complained. But he looked good in spring and then got 17 at bats in a month. By my definition that's not enough ABs to "fail." I mean, Sweeney's hitting .167 in 12 at bats. Is it time to send him down?
I agree, plus baseball is a game of repetition and muscle memory, especially when it comes to hitting. There's no way we could've seen the improvement and potential he showed after the All-Star break last year applied permanently if he was only playing in spots. There's a reason guys play in the minors for years before they ever make it to the bigs, and it's not about "beating up on scrubs in the minors." It's about developing talent.

If he stays at or above .300 for a good part of the year, it's hard not to be encouraged by his apparent progress.

sox1970
05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
2 run homer for BA today.

California Sox
05-06-2007, 03:12 PM
2 run homer for BA today.

game-tying shot.

Rowandws33
05-06-2007, 03:28 PM
You can put it on the board yesssssssss.hurry all you haters back on the banwagon quick..

Rowandws33
05-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Funny how you come on here every single day and post the same thing over and over and over again.
Really, considering thats the first time i said that. nice try

JorgeFabregas
05-06-2007, 03:56 PM
2-4 with a 2 run dinger so far today. The game could go into extras.

ilsox7
05-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Really, considering thats the first time i said that. nice try

All you do is post about BA and a supposed group of haters. You fail to realize that a vast majority of people here want nothing more than success for BA. While a tiny minority (you included) take things to the extreme one way or the other. The extremists are annoying as hell and their act grew old a long time ago.

Rowandws33
05-06-2007, 04:44 PM
really you can read on here post after post of stuff like BA blows, he sucks, baaa, so i dont think iam the one taking it to extremes. If you dont like my post dont read them. Iam posting in the Minor league threads about minor leaguers so if you dont like it dont read it. If you dont hate on BA, then it does not apply to you so dont worry about it.

Jjav829
05-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Nope. Anyone who thinks BA isn't all that good clearly is rooting for him to fail. :rolleyes:

Actually, I kind of was rooting for him to fail in the minors...at first. I was hoping it was something mechanical that needed to be worked out. If he would have gone down to AAA and struggled for a few weeks before turning it around, it could very well have been something in his swing (or in his head, for that matter) that simply needed to be worked out. The fact that he's gone down and had immediate success at the AAA level means it's really one of two things: A.) BA simply needed to play every day this year and now that he's getting that chance, he's producing. B.) The nickname I use in jest for Anderson, BAAAA, rings true - he's too good of a player for AAA, but can't hack it in in the bigs.

Of course, those aren't the only two explanations, but seemingly the most likely at this point. It's unlikely that he would have corrected a serious mechanical flaw that quickly.

Jjav829
05-06-2007, 09:32 PM
You can put it on the board yesssssssss.hurry all you haters back on the banwagon quick..

Hurry back guys, it's about to get rolling again! There's plenty of room. Seriously, I mean pllleeeeennnnty of room.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5337&d=1178501496

Rowandws33
05-06-2007, 09:40 PM
I think just him getting at-bats everyday is the key to him hitting better. His first game he struggled and then has progessiely gotten better. I hope he keeps it up and is with the Sox soon.

lostfan
05-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Nope. Anyone who thinks BA isn't all that good clearly is rooting for him to fail. :rolleyes:

Actually, I kind of was rooting for him to fail in the minors...at first. I was hoping it was something mechanical that needed to be worked out. If he would have gone down to AAA and struggled for a few weeks before turning it around, it could very well have been something in his swing (or in his head, for that matter) that simply needed to be worked out. The fact that he's gone down and had immediate success at the AAA level means it's really one of two things: A.) BA simply needed to play every day this year and now that he's getting that chance, he's producing. B.) The nickname I use in jest for Anderson, BAAAA, rings true - he's too good of a player for AAA, but can't hack it in in the bigs.

Of course, those aren't the only two explanations, but seemingly the most likely at this point. It's unlikely that he would have corrected a serious mechanical flaw that quickly.

IMO...
A.) Yes. True. Playing every day is a big part of developing young players. You can't get to be a better hitter without at-bats.

B.) No such thing. He's hit well in like 3 games. That's not enough time to see if he's really corrected his mechanical flaw at all, it just means he's hot right now. Hell, for all we know, he could be doing the same thing that he succeeded with in AAA in the first place (which I doubt).

ondafarm
05-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Even though I'm pro-BA, I was sort of hoping he had a bit of failure in him so that he'd have to work on the other things he needs to do at the major league level to be a productive hitter. Perhaps he will do these things still, but with some measure of success at the minor level, he seems less likely to go to the batting coach at AAA and say "Hey, I need to learn how to slap the ball, can you put in some extra time and work with me on that?" Slap hits, bunts, etc. they all add up to a much better hitter at the major league level and keep you productive, even when your timing goes awry.

ondafarm
05-06-2007, 11:46 PM

Or

c) Ozzie's jerking him around was what was wrong and BA is actually a pretty decent player.

Rowandws33
05-07-2007, 12:04 AM
As a Sox fan why would you wish for anyone in the organization to fail??

HotelWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 01:13 AM
We don't know he's not seeing a hitting coach regularly anyways, we know the mechanics looked horrendous up here, and he had a bad first game, now he's had some solid games, who knows if they just made some easy adjustments. Not to mention how much playing time helps. This is why even if you are a BA fanboy to the extereme, this was the best move.

I liked Rowand, but he should easily be a better hitter/defender/all around player. Here's to BA coming back strong as the CF of the future

CHISOXFAN13
05-07-2007, 01:20 AM
As a Sox fan why would you wish for anyone in the organization to fail??

I seem to recall a post from you about Sweeney that was very negative.

Rowandws33
05-07-2007, 01:30 AM
really try to find it because i have not said anything bad about him at all.

Rowandws33
05-07-2007, 01:32 AM
We don't know he's not seeing a hitting coach regularly anyways, we know the mechanics looked horrendous up here, and he had a bad first game, now he's had some solid games, who knows if they just made some easy adjustments. Not to mention how much playing time helps. This is why even if you are a BA fanboy to the extereme, this was the best move.

I liked Rowand, but he should easily be a better hitter/defender/all around player. Here's to BA coming back strong as the CF of the future
take a look at his number so far this year. ARow is hitting the cover off the baseball.

HotelWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 03:49 AM
take a look at his number so far this year. ARow is hitting the cover off the baseball.

Oh I know, but that's my point, I think BA is easily better than Rowand. And nothing against Rowand, but he's going to go cold, it's not like he's going to maintain that

ondafarm
05-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I will say BA is easily a better defender than ARow. He takes better routes to balls he gets consistently better jumps and is a much more intuitive player. That being said, ARow's 120% attitude earns a lot of respect.

rdivaldi
05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Exactly how is BA "Easily" better than Arron?:?:

He's easily better at swinging and missing...

DickAllen72
05-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I think BA is easily better than Rowand.

CLR01
05-07-2007, 06:39 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JB98
05-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh I know, but that's my point, I think BA is easily better than Rowand. And nothing against Rowand, but he's going to go cold, it's not like he's going to maintain that

I don't think BA is better than Rowand. Now, BA has an upside that is "easily better" than Rowand's, but the argument as to whether BA will ever achieve that potential is quite fierce. As you may have noticed.

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Sometimes we all forget that we are all on the same side. Well, most of us anyway!

So, can we all PLEASE agree that while he is in Charlotte, we all want Brian to hit over .300, club lots of doubles, triples and homers, play more GG-caliber defense, learn to bunt and slap for hits and come back and make a major contribution for the Sox this year?

Can we all PLEASE agree that we all have deeppink fantasies that he will hit .400 in the bigs, be the first 50-50-50 player and retire in 20 years as a unanimous first ballot HOF-er who led the Sox to a 12-peat of World Championships, surpassed A-Rod with the career HR mark and won 18 straight Gold Gloves.

:)

JB98
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Sometimes we all forget that we are all on the same side. Well, most of us anyway!

So, can we all PLEASE agree that while he is in Charlotte, we all want Brian to hit over .300, club lots of doubles, triples and homers, play more GG-caliber defense, learn to bunt and slap for hits and come back and make a major contribution for the Sox this year?

Can we all PLEASE agree that we all have deeppink fantasies that he will hit .400 in the bigs, be the first 50-50-50 player and retire in 20 years as a unanimous first ballot HOF-er who led the Sox to a 12-peat of World Championships, surpassed A-Rod with the career HR mark and won 18 straight Gold Gloves.

:)

BA, not Boone Logan, should have participated in the cow-milking contest in Anaheim on Friday night. Clearly, he would have won it easily. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2007, 10:45 PM
BA, not Boone Logan, should have participated in the cow-milking contest in Anaheim on Friday night. Clearly, he would have won it easily. :D:

Herbert Perry would own them all! :bandance:

HotelWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah, it's easy to laugh at it now, I watched Rowand suck worse than BA, it takes some time to develop, I have no doubt BA is better than Rowand

DickAllen72
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, it's easy to laugh at it now, I watched Rowand suck worse than BA, it takes some time to develop, I have no doubt BA is better than Rowand
Rowand is currently starting in the major leagues and is having great success at the plate early on this season. He has been a major league starting CFer for the past few seasons.

Brian Anderson was just optioned down to AAA. At this point in time, Brian Anderson is not better than Aaron Rowand.

DickAllen72
05-07-2007, 11:29 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'll see your :rolleyes: :rolleyes:, and raise you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.

HotelWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Rowand is currently starting in the major leagues and is having great success at the plate early on this season. He has been a major league starting CFer for the past few seasons.

Brian Anderson was just optioned down to AAA. At this point in time, Brian Anderson is not better than Aaron Rowand.

Well obviously, I thought it would be implied that we were comparing similar stages in career. JB's wording is better. It is all my opinion, but yes I think BA is a better defender now, and will be comparable if not have a higher ceiling at the plate some time next year

DickAllen72
05-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Well obviously, I thought it would be implied that we were comparing similar stages in career. JB's wording is better. It is all my opinion, but yes I think BA is a better defender now, and will be comparable if not have a higher ceiling at the plate some time next year
OK then. That is debatable but it is reasonable. I was responding to your statement "I think BA is easily better than Rowand."

I hope Brian Anderson turns out to be ten times the player Rowand was and starts in CF for the Sox for the next twenty years. But right now he is clearly not ready for prime time.

GregO23
05-08-2007, 12:01 AM
I too, the new guy, think that Brian Anderson will be a very good CF in this league. Maybe not with the Sox, but oneday he will hit .300, hit 20 HR and get 75 RBI. I really dont think it will be far away either, and I think being optioned might bring out all the potential and make him alot better player(hopefully)

CLR01
05-08-2007, 12:06 AM
and raise you

I see your 4 and re-raise to

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I win. <insert banana dance gif>

DickAllen72
05-08-2007, 12:07 AM
I too, the new guy, .....
Hi, "New Guy!" :cheers:

DickAllen72
05-08-2007, 12:09 AM
I win. <insert banana dance gif>
You're too good for me. :cool:

IlliniSox4Life
05-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Who's this Brian Anderson fellow we got in the minors you all keep talking about? Never heard of him. Is he any good? Where'd he come from, Kenny pick him up off of waivers or something?

TDog
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM

I watched Aaron Rowand suck worse than Brian Simmons. And how could Daryl Boston not be a star with his tools. The same could be said for Nyls Nyman. Some might even throw Kenny Williams into the discussion.

My intent is not to bash Brian Anderson. As I've pointed out elsewhere, I even pulled hard for Michael Jordan to become a star in the White Sox outfield and was disappointed when he gave up on baseball. And I was serious. I've looked at players' tools, and I've been wrong before. A player can have superior tools and be at a similar level at a similar career stage as someone whose natural ability is less and still be destined for a less successful career through no fault of his own.

Suggesting that Anderson will hit because he is struggling the same way other players struggled is faulty reasoning. It's like being laughed at for an outrageous idea and noting they laughed at the Wright brothers. They laughed at Bozo, too. Sometimes they laughed for a reason.

Rowand worked hard to get where he is. Joe Crede worked hard to get where he is. Brian Anderson is going to have to work hard on his game to be more than someone who once played center field for the White Sox.

I wish him luck.

ondafarm
05-08-2007, 02:29 PM
I watched Aaron Rowand suck worse than Brian Simmons. And how could Daryl Boston not be a star with his tools. The same could be said for Nyls Nyman. Some might even throw Kenny Williams into the discussion.

My intent is not to bash Brian Anderson. As I've pointed out elsewhere, I even pulled hard for Michael Jordan to become a star in the White Sox outfield and was disappointed when he gave up on baseball. And I was serious. I've looked at players' tools, and I've been wrong before. A player can have superior tools and be at a similar level at a similar career stage as someone whose natural ability is less and still be destined for a less successful career through no fault of his own.

Suggesting that Anderson will hit because he is struggling the same way other players struggled is faulty reasoning. It's like being laughed at for an outrageous idea and noting they laughed at the Wright brothers. They laughed at Bozo, too. Sometimes they laughed for a reason.

Rowand worked hard to get where he is. Joe Crede worked hard to get where he is. Brian Anderson is going to have to work hard on his game to be more than someone who once played center field for the White Sox.

I wish him luck.

Honestly, I see BA as having almost too much skill. Let me qualify that. Defense-wise he is a very talented defender; he has to work hard at focus in order to get better. Rowand had to train at reading the ball and getting better jumps and still isn't great at those, but he's adequate. BA is very good at those aspects but needs to be hard-nosed at what he can improve: taking charge in the outfield and being tenacious in defense, IMHO. The CF should take every ball he can get to. That means calling off every infielder and only the rarest of cases of not calling off the right fielder. The left fielder should always give way to the CF. BA did not do that and is not the fierce, go all out after every ball until the play is made type, but he needs to be.

As for hitting it appears to me that BA has the capacity to hit .250 just being a straight up to pull hitter and doing nothing special. If he learnt to bunt, to inside-out and to slap hit, then he could be a .300 hitter in the bigs, IMHO. But does he have the drive to get those extra 50 points is the big question. And it's an open question. He'd also be a lot more slump resistant if he has those three skills. I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity at Charlotte to learn those skills and come back as a better player.

The other day I saw Erstad get a slap hit. Can BA do this because Erstad is not the long term solution in CF for the White Sox.

balke
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
It would really help out the organization if BA could go nuts and breakout this season. Doesn't mean he will, but it would solve a lot of future problems for the Sox if he did.

lostfan
05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Seriously, you can't just suddenly learn how to hit overnight. It takes time. Everyone's had to develop their hitting ability, it's not something you're born with. You can have the talent and the tools but it doesn't mean anything without the training. Guys who just seem like natural hitters that do everything right are rare... Ken Griffey Jr. in his prime for instance.

In Anderson's case he probably had so much natural talent that he never had to bother really learning anything until getting to the majors, and it finally caught up to him. He got called up with an incomplete tool set. I'm willing to guess he was always the best hitter in the lineup in high school, college, and the minors so he was free to swing away, he never had to battle a pitcher consistently, never had to bunt, slap hit, or settle for hitting for contact instead of power. Never had to see what his faulty swing mechanics would lead to.

Now he does, and now he knows what the problem is. He needed an opportunity to consistently work on it in real-time. The question is, how long will it take him to apply this knowledge, and how much of his potential can he realize now?

goldglovesox
05-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Here is what scares me. You always hear people talking about how hard Rowand worked as well as Crede. You do not hear that type of reputation attached to Brian Anderson. I have heard about people saying he talks to much for his own good. And too me a guy who has not established himself and continuously is finding struggles should be very very silent. Rowand became outspoken after he began to succeed for us. I wouldnt be so concerned if all you heard was about how hard of a worker he was.

For me, he is a very good defender in CF, but his swing is too long and he swings and misses too much. If he is going to hit 30 HR's I can deal with him not putting the ball in play. But too me he is a 20 HR guy. I think you will see expectations severly lowered for him in the coming months and he might be downgraded from our CF of the future and become our 4th OF of the future.

JorgeFabregas
05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Apparently BA just grounded into a forceout to the center-fielder? At least that's what the gamecast says. I guess it dropped in and the runner at first had to wait.

California Sox
05-08-2007, 09:15 PM
In Anderson's case he probably had so much natural talent that he never had to bother really learning anything until getting to the majors, and it finally caught up to him.

That's actually not the case for Anderson. He had a struggle similar to his rookie season in his sophomore year at U of Arizona. He and his coach had to rebuild his swing from scratch and his junior year he had an MVP-type year in the Pac 10. So the guy can make adjustments. Whether he will or not... that's anybody's guess.

Rowandws33
05-08-2007, 10:47 PM
i saw that to the gorundout to the CF. You dont see that everyday..

CLR01
05-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Anderson watch-May 8th:

6 Ice Cream cones stolen
4 stolen parking spaces from pregnant women.
2 kittens killed for no reason
1 RBI
1 super fabulous 9th inning BB
2 infield ground outs
1 of these:Brian Anderson grounds into a force out, center fielder Gregor Blanco to second baseman Martin Prado. Josh Fields scores. Andy Gonzalez to 3rd. Ernie Young out at 2nd. Brian Anderson to 1st.
0 hits
0 playmates

lostfan
05-09-2007, 10:03 AM
That's actually not the case for Anderson. He had a struggle similar to his rookie season in his sophomore year at U of Arizona. He and his coach had to rebuild his swing from scratch and his junior year he had an MVP-type year in the Pac 10. So the guy can make adjustments. Whether he will or not... that's anybody's guess.
I did not know that. It's actually kind of encouraging.

ondafarm
05-09-2007, 10:07 AM
. . .
2 infield ground outs
1 of these:Brian Anderson grounds into a force out, center fielder Gregor Blanco to second baseman Martin Prado. Josh Fields scores. Andy Gonzalez to 3rd. Ernie Young out at 2nd. Brian Anderson to 1st. . .

I guess I'd call that an outfield groundout, but that's just me.

maurice
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
At least the OF didn't throw Anderson out at 1B . . . unlike a certain Detroit Tiger.

lostfan
05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
From the Sun-Times this morning:

Ozzie Guillen said he plans to see outfielder Brian Anderson back on the big-league roster at some point this season.

''Oh, yeah, of course,'' Guillen said. ''This kid has to prepare himself. Brian is a big-league player, but sometimes big-league players have to prepare themselves better than others, physically and mentally.''
Guillen has kept a close eye on the minor-league reports and liked to see that Anderson was hitting .308 for Class AAA Charlotte through Tuesday. ''If you go down and not perform, you could stay there for a little while,'' Guillen said.

SoxyStu
05-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Anderson watch-May 8th:

2 kittens killed for no reason

We'll I'll be....so he's the sonofabitch who is responsible for the dead kitten in my retention!

JorgeFabregas
05-11-2007, 10:49 PM
He struck out again today. :angry:

And hit a solo homerun.

ondafarm
05-12-2007, 11:23 PM
He struck out again today. :angry:

And hit a solo homerun.

You should be a sportwriter (or is that sportswhiner) for the Chicago Cubune.