PDA

View Full Version : MLB after one month

Fenway
05-01-2007, 08:50 AM
After one month the baseball races are starting to shape up.

The AL Central looks like it will be a 4 team dogfight for sure with ANY of the 4 teams winning it.

The AL West appears to belong to the Angels as I *think* Oakland has lost too much.

The AL East Boston has the best record in MLB after one month but as White Sox fans sadly remember from last year that means nothing. The Yankees have started badly but remember they did this 2 years ago and finally caught Boston on the last weekend.

NL West Arizona has surprised so far but I still like LA. The Giants are going to be completly distracted by the Bonds circus.

NL Central - I am beginning to think the Brewers are going to run away with it. The Flubbies will be a non factor to set up their 100th anniversary season.

NL East The Braves are back but I still think the Mets are the best team in the NL.

oeo
05-01-2007, 08:53 AM
The AL East Boston has the best record in MLB after one month but as White Sox fans sadly remember from last year that means nothing. The Yankees have started badly but remember they did this 2 years ago and finally caught Boston on the last weekend.

The Red Sox have also had the 3rd easiest schedule in the AL.

Fenway
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
The Red Sox have also had the 3rd easiest schedule in the AL.

True we did play the Yankees six times :tongue:

Boston's schedule is whacky this year. They play the Fighting Seaweed 19 times but they meet for the first time on July 3rd.

Right now Beckett looks like a possible Cy Young winner the new pitching coach has done wonders with him.

Lucchino said this morning "Whatever Roger wants we will pay it. We want him very, very much."

FedEx227
05-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Oakland hasn't hit their late July-August stride just yet, so give them time.

But I like your NL Central prediction! :bandance::bandance: Brew-Crew Baby!

WhiteSox5187
05-01-2007, 09:20 AM
I hoping the Brewers pull it out in the NL Central but it is still far too early to count any team as dead (exception being the Nationals and the Royals). If the Cubs and Sox continue to pitch this way, both teams are going to be vying for a spot in October.

Also I think whoever wins the AL Central is going to be determined by whoever has the best record against Kansas City. KC will determine who wins the Central.

HotelWhiteSox
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
It's kind of funny how opposite the Central divisions are. One is a dogfight with 4 really good teams and a very good spoiler, while the NL Central reminds me of the Family Guy skit of the race featuring people who have a fear of yellow tape.

EDIT:

exluKiYZYsM

Fenway
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Also I think whoever wins the AL Central is going to be determined by whoever has the best record against Kansas City. KC will determine who wins the Central.

Biggest problem for the Central teams is with FOUR teams playing well it will make it very hard for the Wild Card to come out of the Central.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_odds.php

chaerulez
05-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I would not discount the Brewers as a bad team just because they play in a bad division. ESPN will have you believe that the Cards, Astros or Cubs will eventually catch up to them, but I don't see it happening. The Brewers are for real, too bad Sheets is hurt again. They might have to make a midseason deal for a starter depending on Sheets' status.

MUsoxfan
05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
NL Central - I am beginning to think the Brewers are going to run away with it.

:bandance::wooty::happyguy:

oeo
05-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Biggest problem for the Central teams is with FOUR teams playing well it will make it very hard for the Wild Card to come out of the Central.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_odds.php

Four teams have not played well. I don't think anyone has hit their stride yet. We learned nothing about the AL Central in the first month of the season. The Twins and Tigers both played the two easiest schedules in the American League (and still didn't take advantage of it), and only the Indians have impressed so far.

palehozenychicty
05-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Four teams have not played well. I don't think anyone has hit their stride yet. We learned nothing about the AL Central in the first month of the season. The Twins and Tigers both played the two easiest schedules in the American League (and still didn't take advantage of it), and only the Indians have impressed so far.

They've played okay, but looked terrible when they came to New York a couple of weeks ago. We'll see about them. They are the Toons, you know.

Kogs35
05-01-2007, 01:26 PM

Boston's schedule is whacky this year. They play the Fighting Seaweed 19 times but they meet for the first time on July 3rd.

Right now Beckett looks like a possible Cy Young winner the new pitching coach has done wonders with him.

Lucchino said this morning "Whatever Roger wants we will pay it. We want him very, very much."

that happened to the whitesox acouple where they played the tigers and twins totally after the all star break. gotta love the unbalanced schedule

ComiskeyBrewer
05-02-2007, 01:53 AM
I would not discount the Brewers as a bad team just because they play in a bad division. ESPN will have you believe that the Cards, Astros or Cubs will eventually catch up to them, but I don't see it happening. The Brewers are for real, too bad Sheets is hurt again. They might have to make a midseason deal for a starter depending on Sheets' status.

Sheets pitched today(didn't miss a start), and won the game. He looked fine to me.

dcb56
05-02-2007, 02:31 AM

Ugh, that reminds me of 2003 when the White Sox were pretty much done with the Tigers by the ASB or 2004 when the Cubs didn't play the Brew Crew until late July.

The schedule makers certainly did a questionable job this season, I've noticed a lot of teams having back to back weekend series (ex. Sox vs. Detroit, ANA already this season), and you mean to tell me they scheduled NYY twice at home, a team we normally only face once per season anymore with Bud's goofy unbalanced schedule, within a 3 week span? I'd like to see them do a better job spreading teams out throughout the entire 6 month schedule, but I suppose with all the demands placed on it because of the imbalance, plus travel rules, demands of individual teams, etc., it must be just a step below rocket science to create a workable schedule.