PDA

View Full Version : detroit tigers announcers

briguy27
04-30-2007, 10:03 PM
i have that direct tv baseball package, and everytime i watch the tigers, i cant help to notice rod allen and mario whatever his name is are completely biased. i mean, theres nothing wrong with that, but these 2 just exceed this privelidge. when crede hit a 2 run homer earlier in the year @ detroit to give us a 5-3 lead, hawk and dj did their usual celebration, when i switch those 2, go "it must of been a bad pitch. crede barely got all of it."

WHAT?!?!!? give us some credit, u idiots

has anybody else noticed these 2 dorks?

chisoxmike
04-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't think they're that bad.

sodfatherjunior
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
didn't we just have a thread identical to this about the Indians radio announcers being bias............instead of making my comment about how all home team announcers are bias i'll let everyone else express that, instead I will mention how I was up at my cottage in Michigan when the Sox were playing in Detroit and listening to their radio guys while driving around town I must say they are very, very good and rather non biased and gave the Sox a lot of credit about how impressive their bullpen is, anybody else hear the Tigers radio guys before, very nice crew they got up there.

Huisj
04-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Rod Allen just plain sucks. I watch tons of Tigers game up here, and it's not just the homer-ness of him, it's that he's a terrible announcer and uses awful cliches in the wrong context. I could see how he could seem tolerable for a game or two, but his stuff gets really tiresome when you hear it a lot.

He gets in ruts where for a few weeks at a time he is completely stuck on one theme, and then he drops that and goes to another one. For a while, he might describe everyone as being good at "slowing the game down", and he'll use that cliche to death. Then he'll get on a kick where he says stuff like "Not many guys can do (X) like (insert player) can." (one example of that recently was "Not many pitchers in the league can go ahead and throw an 0-2 breaking ball like Verlander." :?:). And then for a while, everyone who does something good is "special" (like, if Pudge (pronounced Puuuuudge) throws a snap throw to first and almost picks off the runner, he's special).

He can't shut his mouth ever, he rambles on and on, talks like he's a complete expert and was an allstar in every league he played, and he gets facts wrong. He constantly says redundent things like "Magglio is a good hitter is what he is, because he can hit, can Magglio." He gets this awful cocky twang in his voice and starts throwing around words like "pahdna' " (partner) and "baooowwwwl playa' " (ballplayer, as in so and so's a heck of a baooowlplaya') whenever the Tigers start to get a rally going or take a lead, and then he hardly talks when things don't quite go right (hmm, wait, that sort of sounds like someone else . . . ).

He's like a goofy version of Joe Morgan without the brains or the resume to back up his arrogance.

Look up the Rod Allen drinking game on google to find out more of the nonsense he spews. Also, for a great laugh, look up the youtube video of him charging the mound in a Japanese league game years ago. The chase around the field is absolutely hilarious.

Fenway
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
One thing about NESN that even though the channel is owned by the Red Sox Jerry Remy is very quick to compliment the other team when they execute well.

Their studio show with Jim Rice, Dennis Eckersley and Ken Macha puts BBTN to shame.

The worst homer????????????

NO CONTEST Radio Free Yankees on WCBS

An April shower of excuses (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/05/01/2007-05-01_an_april_shower_of_excuses.html)

Bob Raissman: Ma and Pa Pinstripe, aka Suzyn (Georgie Girl) Waldman and John Sterling, have identified the source of the Yankees' awful April. ... more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/05/01/2007-05-01_an_april_shower_of_excuses.html)

Oblong
05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Rod Allen is a goofball and he's developing a cult following. Local radio shows even have segments where they talk about the best Rod-ism from the night before. There's even a Rod Allen Drinking Game. (http://thewaynefontesexperience.blogspot.com/2006/08/rod-allen-drinking-game.html) It's the kind of thing that works when the team is doing well. If it's for a 90 loss team then it's just dumb.

As for the radio guys.... Dickerson is very good. Professional all the way. His call of Maggs walk off in the ALCS was a thing of beauty. One of the best calls you'll ever hear. Jim Price is known as a "heavy breather". Either he's got a conditioning or health problem or his mike is too close to an open window. He's also bad for listening to the games at work where the volume can't be turned up too loud so you can't follow every word. If he gets excited then it means the other team did something well. It's like he's overcompensating against being called a homer.

Medford Bobby
05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
:smile: Years ago I board opt at KTUC radio in Tucson and the Tucson Toro's play by play guy that time was Mario Impemba. He's a Detroit guy and was fun to work with and I was glad to see him go pro first with the Angels and now with his home town team Tiger's:D:

itsnotrequired
05-01-2007, 11:31 AM
One thing about NESN that even though the channel is owned by the Red Sox Jerry Remy is very quick to compliment the other team when they execute well.

Their studio show with Jim Rice, Dennis Eckersley and Ken Macha puts BBTN to shame.

An April shower of excuses (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/05/01/2007-05-01_an_april_shower_of_excuses.html)

Bob Raissman: Ma and Pa Pinstripe, aka Suzyn (Georgie Girl) Waldman and John Sterling, have identified the source of the Yankees' awful April. ... more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/05/01/2007-05-01_an_april_shower_of_excuses.html)

John Sterling should be flogged. That radio tandem is the WORST. And this isn't some blind Yankee-hate. They are worse than Farmer and Singleton.

Fenway
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
John Sterling should be flogged. That radio tandem is the WORST. And this isn't some blind Yankee-hate. They are worse than Farmer and Singleton.

it is high .....it is far...... caught by Ramierez

But my cell phone ringtone is John Sterling

ballgame over................season over...................Boston wins the pennant :D:

Baby Fisk
05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
White Sox fans are the last people who should be grousing about the "homerism" of other teams' announcers.

Impemba and Allen are pretty good. They have good chemistry, they follow what's going on on the field, and they don't trail away into too many pointless tangents.

And Impemba has a really nice natural voice, which is an underrated quality (*thinks about Toronto's Jamie Campbell and his ridiculous "I'm going to talk like Vin Scully" routine*).

Chicken Dinner
05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
White Sox fans are the last people who should be grousing about the "homerism" of other teams' announcers.

Impemba and Allen are pretty good. They have good chemistry, they follow what's going on on the field, and they don't trail away into too many pointless tangents.

And Impemba has a really nice natural voice, which is an underrated quality (*thinks about Toronto's Jamie Campbell and his ridiculous "I'm going to talk like Vin Scully" routine*).

Agreed. How can anyone complain about someone elses announcers being "homers" when we have Hawk.

chisox117
05-01-2007, 12:49 PM
They're not that bad. Allen seems improved since his days witht the Diamondbacks. Shoot, when compared with the previous Tigers broadcasting team of Josh Lewin and Kirk Gibson, they sound like Hall Of Famers.

:gulp:

Fenway
05-01-2007, 12:56 PM
some actual quotes of Sterling

WHAT a game! I mean, what a game! The Yankees win it in the bottom of the ninth in one of the greatest games you will see all season long – I guarantee you that! So it’s the Yankees 8, and the Devil Rays 7, in what they’ll probably refer to as “the Greatest Game Ever Played. We’ll be back with the clubhouse report after this…

"Its a swing and a drive, to deep right field!!!!!!!!! That ball is high!!!!!!! It is far.......iiiittttt iiiissss.....a foul ball."

An A bomb, for A-rod!!!!!!!!!!

"cut on and missed!"

"You know Susan I just cant believe Tanyon Sturtze, he has been unstoppable lately, I cant remember the last time he gave up a run." - Then 15 minutes later - "The final score Baltimore 6 and Yankees 4, Tanyon Sturtze takes the loss as he gives up 4 runs in 2/3 of an inning."

"I'm not big on stats"

"Back to back and a belly to belly"

The Yankees Win! Thhhheeeee Yankees Win!

itsnotrequired
05-01-2007, 01:26 PM
The Yankees Win! Thhhheeeee Yankees Win!

You have to picture this guy when he says that:

http://massimiliano179.interfree.it/Star%20wars/database/gungan1.jpg

Fenway
05-01-2007, 01:31 PM
You have to picture this guy when he says that:

http://massimiliano179.interfree.it/Star%20wars/database/gungan1.jpg

pretty close actually

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/blog/sterling.jpg

soxfan123
05-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Interesting topic...My dad went to college and is close friends with the radio play-by-play guy on the Tigers radio, Dickerson. He's a really good guy and so is Price. They're both very professional.

In fact, we usually talk before each season about the league, and every time he tells me that when the Cell is full, it is the loudest and best crowd in the majors, bar none. I was rooting for him and the Tigers last year once we were out of it.

Zisk77
05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Kirk Gibson was horrible. Somewhere in July of 2000 the tigers won 10 straight to move within 19 games of the 1st place sox. Gibson had the gall to say that the sox shouldn't fear the 2nd place Indians because the the tigers were coming hard....The sox then proceeded to sweep the tigers.

Now Hawk is a homer but he never degrades the other team and is often very complimentary of them. Dick Bremer (twins announcer) is the worst. Even when he gives the sox a compliment its a backhanded one. Like that was good baserunning for such a slow runner. Or Crede has a good glove but he is not in the same league as Chavez.:o:

Baby Fisk
05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Now Hawk is a homer but he never degrades the other team and is often very complimentary of them. Dick Bremer (twins announcer) is the worst. Even when he gives the sox a compliment its a backhanded one. Like that was good baserunning for such a slow runner. Or Crede has a good glove but he is not in the same league as Chavez.:o:

Very true. Bremer and Blyleven both make comments that routinely make them look like petty asses. Then again, if you did broadcasts for a team that plays 81 games inside a garbage can and can't seal the deal at playoff time, maybe you'd be a bitter, petty ass too.

FloridaTigers
07-24-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm honestly going to try and put this as nice as possible and not sound like a troll (Trust me, I'm not)

...but any fan of a team who has Hawk and DJ as their broadcaster shouldn't rip on any other broadcast teams. Mario and Rod are a bit biased, but they seem to tone it down when they realize it. I don't know how you Sox fans can listen to Hawk and DJ.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2007, 02:05 AM
I'm honestly going to try and put this as nice as possible and not sound like a troll (Trust me, I'm not)

...but any fan of a team who has Hawk and DJ as their broadcaster shouldn't rip on any other broadcast teams. Mario and Rod are a bit biased, but they seem to tone it down when they realize it. I don't know how you Sox fans can listen to Hawk and DJ.Hawk is tremendously biased, DJ not as much, but Hawk is often complimentary of players and managers on other teams to the point that he makes Sox fans cringe. Bremer, on the other hand, never has anything good to say about the other team, and is often downright nasty. I'll never forget the day after the Hunter/Burke collision, he actually said "Jamie Burke is still over in a hangar at O'Hare being reassembled." Incredibly crass to make a joke about an injured player and show no concern for his wellbeing. Hawk would never do anything like that.

michned
07-24-2007, 02:23 AM
:smile: Years ago I board opt at KTUC radio in Tucson and the Tucson Toro's play by play guy that time was Mario Impemba. He's a Detroit guy and was fun to work with and I was glad to see him go pro first with the Angels and now with his home town team Tiger's:D:

Bob, welcome back to the big city (Tucson Bobby?). I remember Impemba doing Toros games. He was good then and deserved his shot and I'm glad things have worked out for him.

I think Huisj nailed it when it comes to Rod Allen. It's almost as if he sat in a room with tapes of Joe Morgan when he got into the broadcasting side of things.

jdm2662
07-24-2007, 02:30 AM
I don't know how you Sox fans can listen to Hawk and DJ.

I can listen to them only when the TV is on mute. :D:

FloridaTigers
07-24-2007, 03:06 AM
I like Mario and Rod. You want unbiased? Listen to Jim Price over the radio broadcast of Tigers games. He's the anti-Hawk. Don't get me wrong, Jim Price is a nice guy, but he tries TOO hard to not sound like a homer. He gets excited when the other team does something and acts sad when the Tigers score.

Huisj
07-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Rod Allen just commented that the Tigers have a very underrated training staff. Where are these ratings he speaks of? Have people been unjustly badmouthing the Tigers' training staff?

Law11
07-25-2007, 08:45 AM

I agree I enjoy the Boston games because they do a good job of playing up boston but also admiring solid play by the opposition.
The best was last year though with Dennis Leary in the booth talking about Youkallis

Chicken Dinner
07-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Rod Allen didn't have a whole lot to say last night after the Sox caught the Tiggers by the toes and then scooted right past them for the DH sweep. :smile:

Oblong
07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
He did call Thome's HR. Sort of. He said "He better not groove one on 3-0, Thome has the green light". Oops.

PatK
07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I've got no problems with homers as long as they give compliments to the other teams or acknowledge when they do something right.

As bad as Hawk can be, he at least does that.

I can't bag on DJ because when he's on Fox, he's a LOT better than with Hawk. I think Hawk holds him back.

Huisj
07-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I've got no problems with homers as long as they give compliments to the other teams or acknowledge when they do something right.

As bad as Hawk can be, he at least does that.

I can't bag on DJ because when he's on Fox, he's a LOT better than with Hawk. I think Hawk holds him back.

Sometimes Hawk goes way overboard complimenting the other team when he starts to call no-name players the "best he's seen" or starts saying you just gotta tip your cap to a guy because he's simply unhittable or simply can't be stopped no matter what you throw him. That gets kind of annoying too.