PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worried a bit about Contreras?

whitesoxfan1986
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Some things about Jose have been bothering me lately and making me a little worried about his performance this year. Has anyone else noticed that his fastball has dropped about 4-5 mph? last year Jose's fastball was around 93-96 and now it is around 88-92. The other thing I have noticed is that he is not throwing the forkball. In his last start I saw him throw it 4 or 5 times the whole game, and all of them were balls and they did not have the usual bite on them. I am concerned that he may be very hittable during the summer if he doesn't get his fastball velocity back up and can't throw the forkball with bite on it.

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I think Contreras is the least of our worries. The reason he's not throwing the fork ball is that he's having a little trouble throwing it for a strike. It will come.

BanditJimmy
04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Some things about Jose have been bothering me lately and making me a little worried about his performance this year. Has anyone else noticed that his fastball has dropped about 4-5 mph? last year Jose's fastball was around 93-96 and now it is around 88-92. The other thing I have noticed is that he is not throwing the forkball. In his last start I saw him throw it 4 or 5 times the whole game, and all of them were balls and they did not have the usual bite on them. I am concerned that he may be very hittable during the summer if he doesn't get his fastball velocity back up and can't throw the forkball with bite on it.

Velocity is a big concern to me.

PaulDrake
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Has anyone else noticed that his fastball has dropped about 4-5 mph? last year Jose's fastball was around 93-96 and now it is around 88-92. This is just my own personal observation, I can't say with scientific certainty, but lots of pitchers seem to be clocked slower so far this year. Concerning Jose, a drop in velocity shouldn't mean the end for him. I'm more concerned about inconsistency in hitting his spots, and lack of movement on some of his pitches. When he's on, he can just about tie the hitters up in knots. I'm a little concerned, but not yet at the alarmed or panic stage.

goon
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
This is just my own personal observation, I can't say with scientific certainty, but lots of pitchers seem to be clocked slower so far this year. Concerning Jose, a drop in velocity shouldn't mean the end for him. I'm more concerned about inconsistency in hitting his spots, and lack of movement on some of his pitches. When he's on, he can just about tie the hitters up in knots. I'm a little concerned, but not yet at the alarmed or panic stage.

Yes and that goes for all of our pitchers. Garland and Vazquez have been around 88-92 since the beginning of the year. That, some might argue among other things, is probably because of the weather. Also, it's still the beginning of the season, they might just need a month or so to get loose, I wouldn't worry.

jabrch
04-30-2007, 02:06 PM
In his last 4 starts he has allowed 9 ER in 24.1 IP and is 2-1. Those starts were against LAA, DET, CLE and OAK - all legitimate playoff contenders.

I'm not worried.

I'd be worried if he was getting pounded by bad clubs. Controlling good clubs shouldn't worry anyone.

UserNameBlank
04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes and that goes for all of our pitchers. Garland and Vazquez have been around 88-92 since the beginning of the year. That, some might argue among other things, is probably because of the weather. Also, it's still the beginning of the season, they might just need a month or so to get loose, I wouldn't worry.
During I think the first game against the Tigers this year Zumaya was pitching and the announce crew kept giving out the gun readings after almost every pitch. As usual, Zumaya was regularly between 97-101. The gun on the screen however kept reading 94-98. I can't remember who started for the Sox that game, but I kept thinking whoever started was pitching 3-4 mph slower than normal. After hearing the readings from Comerica's gun everything made sense.

I think in general the gun that appears on Comcast is just way off this year. It wouldn't be surprising because you'll see Buerhle pitching and it will throw up a reading of something like 106mph. Besides, Comcast never gets anything right. There are times when they get the score wrong and almost every other time someone is on base they have the wrong bases highlighted on the top of their screen. Plus they screw up the count at least 8 or 10 times per game.

BanditJimmy
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM

I have been at all of Garland's starts so far at US Cellular field and he has topped out at 88 every game.