PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Joe Torre Watch Thread

Viva Medias B's
04-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Another loss to the Boston Red Sox, and the New York media is on "Joe Toree Watch." Both tabloids have Torre on the back page, and the George Steinbrenner has been silent. For the record, I like Joe Torre and feel the Yankees' problems are not his fault. It would be a mistake to fire him because I don't think a new manager will cause their pitchers' injuries to heal, unless the Boss hires Benny Hinn.

itsnotrequired
04-30-2007, 08:35 AM
They should trade Torre for Guillen, straight up.

:gulp:

Chiwhisox6155
04-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Why is it coming as such a shock to people that when all you do is compile veterans and trade away most of your younger prospects, that the team will grow old and start slipping after a few years? Seriously, didn't more people see this coming? This is mostly Cashman and Steinbrenner's fault, I'm not Joe Torre's biggest fan, but he's doing a pretty decent job with the hand he was dealt.

Paulwny
04-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Let's not give Torre a free ride. In many , many, instances a GM will seek a managers opinion on a player and his possible benefit to the team.

Fenway
04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Cashman made a huge error in passing on Okajima....he is a huge reason the Red Sox have the best record in baseball in April.

Torre is safe..................for now

NEW YORK --Yankees owner George Steinbrenner backed manager Joe Torre and GM Brian Cashman on Monday, challenging players and staff "to show me and the fans what they are made of" following a start he termed "clearly not acceptable."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/04/30/steinbrenner_backs_torre_and_cashman_but_says_resu lts_not_acceptable/

TDog
05-01-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't believe it would make a difference who manages the Yankees. Although, judging from April's results, I would guess they might be losing more one-run games if Piniella were at the helm. Losing one-run games to strengthen that Pythagorean record, or whatever they call it, seems to be Piniella's specialty.

II never believed Joe Torre was a great manager. He managed the Yankees in years when they had a great team. He managed the Braves to a division without a lefty in the bullpen, I believe, but subsequent teams weren't as successful. He didn't win anything with the Mets or Cardinals. He didn't record a 90-win season until he came to the Yankees.

However, he has to be a better manager than announcer, his between-managing-jobs gig.