PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Article, PHG!

Moses_Scurry
04-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I especially like the last rule. It's amazing how many people on these message boards (other boards are worse than this one!) think they know more than Ozzie or KW about what should be done! Why aren't these people working for the Sox? Or at least the Kane County Cougars?

SBSoxFan
04-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Why aren't these people working for the Sox? Or at least the Kane County Cougars?

Because they're too busy posting on message boards.

ondafarm
04-30-2007, 09:43 AM
I especially like the last rule. It's amazing how many people on these message boards (other boards are worse than this one!) think they know more than Ozzie or KW about what should be done! Why aren't these people working for the Sox? Or at least the Kane County Cougars?

Because baseball is an exhausting, difficult job, which I never was particularly physically gifted enough for, I hated the constant travel and was tired of spending about nine to ten months of every year away from my family. The real breaks in baseball are very brief and not very often, you have to treat your body as an absolute temple and if done professionally it consumes your entire life.

I have been offerred scouting and minor league coaching positions with my old organization and with one national team. No thank you. I enjoyed dinner with my parents last night for the eight time this month (April). If I'd taken either job, it might be eight times a year and my voluntary forgoing alcohol this year would not be voluntary and would be every year. I'd probably have had at least two more knee surgeries from playing too much catcher. Again, no thank you.

spiffie
04-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Because baseball is an exhausting, difficult job, which I never was particularly physically gifted enough for, I hated the constant travel and was tired of spending about nine to ten months of every year away from my family. The real breaks in baseball are very brief and not very often, you have to treat your body as an absolute temple and if done professionally it consumes your entire life.

I have been offerred scouting and minor league coaching positions with my old organization and with one national team. No thank you. I enjoyed dinner with my parents last night for the eight time this month (April). If I'd taken either job, it might be eight times a year and my voluntary forgoing alcohol this year would not be voluntary and would be every year. I'd probably have had at least two more knee surgeries from playing too much catcher. Again, no thank you.
Somehow I doubt that's the reason for pretty much every single other poster on this board who plays the game of "I know more than Ozzie/KW/Cooper/etc."

PaulDrake
04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I especially like the last rule. It's amazing how many people on these message boards (other boards are worse than this one!) think they know more than Ozzie or KW about what should be done! Why aren't these people working for the Sox? Or at least the Kane County Cougars? I have a brain, such as it is, and will use it as I see fit. I don't get the Ozzie and KW as gods thing. KW, on balance has been a very good GM. The White Sox have been very fortunate in their choices of GMs. Frank Lane, Ed Short, Roland Hemond, and Larry Himes just to name a few. The Chuck Comiskey/John Rigney tandem wasn't bad either. KW did something that none of them was able to do. He's very young as GMs go, his final evaluation is years in the making. In any case, I don't bow to any experts. If I did, I might not be here today.

ondafarm
04-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Somehow I doubt that's the reason for pretty much every single other poster on this board who plays the game of "I know more than Ozzie/KW/Cooper/etc."

I don't answer for anyone else.

spiffie
04-30-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't answer for anyone else.
Nor should you. I would merely hate for your answer to be considered as the norm for those sharing your opinion.

ondafarm
04-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Nor should you. I would merely hate for your answer to be considered as the norm for those sharing your opinion.

Fair enough. I'd hate it too.

FarWestChicago
04-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Well done, PHG. :thumbsup:

oeo
04-30-2007, 09:30 PM

Whether this is true or not, you could not be a major league GM or manager, so all this is irrelevant.

Good work, PHG; your columns usually express my feelings and this one is no different.

HotelWhiteSox
04-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I disagree with the 'old Sox' thing, just because you guys used to rip on Kenny and Jerry every chance you got, doesn't mean all Sox fans did

34rancher
04-30-2007, 09:45 PM
PHG, I have to concur. I find myself feeling like a "new type" of fan...One that doesn't worry as much. I trust Kenny and Ozzie. I actually enjoy watching them make moves and obseve their expertise as a White Sox fan. While, they may not be perfect, they are right a whole heck of a lot more than they are wrong. All is good, thanks PHG for a good read.

southside rocks
05-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Excellent piece, PHG. From a Sox fan of 40 years (that 1967 season hooked me for life!) -- thank you.

FedEx227
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
New Sox, Rule #1.
The major league roster of the Chicago American League Baseball Club is not intended to develop talent.
Yes, we Sox Fans of the "Old Sox" learned to support an endless stream of rebuilding projects on the major league roster, under Veeck, the Allyns, and Reinsdorf, too. As recently as 1999 the ballclub was talking about serving youth as though it was a virtue unto itself. Not surprisingly, the team sucked. Once the Sox focused solely upon on-field results -- from both veterans like Carl Everett, and youngsters like Jon Garland -- did the Sox become champions. That's Ozzie's New Sox.

Ask the Baltimore Orioles, Yankees and San Fransisco Giants how that policy is working for them.

I'm sorry, but you need to have a mix of young/old or else you're stuck in a position of constantly having to over-pay to fill voids left by your older players leaving.

I'm not calling for rebuilding projects, by no means, but there has to be middle ground, this isn't talkin about Brian Anderson or anybody specific, but it's a known fact that you have to be a mix of young/old to be successful in the Majors.

Had we not giving Garland 4 years to suck and work out his problems, he might not have turned the corner as he did in 2005.

Had we not given Crede 4 years to suck it up and learn about the holes in his swing, he might not have turned into the masher we had in 2005/2006.

Had we not let Neal Cotts have 1.5 years of major league experience, he would not have been the lights out reliever we had in 2005.

By your policy, the "New Sox" are forever doomed to being the San Fran. Giants of the AL plugging holes with the likes of Dave Roberts and Omar Vizquel, needing to overpay them because you cannot develop talent. If you look at how the Twins have built their guys you have a great framework for how I'd love the Sox organization to look. They have a core group of guys that they've stuck with for 5-6 years anchored on a great pitchin staff and a lights-out bullpen. Then every year or so they plug a few of their prospects in there and give them time to work out their problems. Sure worked out great for Justin Morneau.

Hell, look at Brandon Inge, without giving him major league experience he'd probably still be the slap-hitting catcher he came up as, however as they saw him work on the major league level they tried new things and struck gold with him at 3B.

AZChiSoxFan
05-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Ask the Baltimore Orioles, Yankees and San Fransisco Giants how that policy is working for them.

I'm sorry, but you need to have a mix of young/old or else you're stuck in a position of constantly having to over-pay to fill voids left by your older players leaving.

I'm not calling for rebuilding projects, by no means, but there has to be middle ground, this isn't talkin about Brian Anderson or anybody specific, but it's a known fact that you have to be a mix of young/old to be successful in the Majors.

Had we not giving Garland 4 years to suck and work out his problems, he might not have turned the corner as he did in 2005.

Had we not given Crede 4 years to suck it up and learn about the holes in his swing, he might not have turned into the masher we had in 2005/2006.

Had we not let Neal Cotts have 1.5 years of major league experience, he would not have been the lights out reliever we had in 2005.

By your policy, the "New Sox" are forever doomed to being the San Fran. Giants of the AL plugging holes with the likes of Dave Roberts and Omar Vizquel, needing to overpay them because you cannot develop talent. If you look at how the Twins have built their guys you have a great framework for how I'd love the Sox organization to look. They have a core group of guys that they've stuck with for 5-6 years anchored on a great pitchin staff and a lights-out bullpen. Then every year or so they plug a few of their prospects in there and give them time to work out their problems. Sure worked out great for Justin Morneau.

Hell, look at Brandon Inge, without giving him major league experience he'd probably still be the slap-hitting catcher he came up as, however as they saw him work on the major league level they tried new things and struck gold with him at 3B.

Totally agree.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Fresh red meat. I love it...
:cool:

Quoting moi:
New Sox, Rule #1.
The major league roster of the Chicago American League Baseball Club is not intended to develop talent.
Yes, we Sox Fans of the "Old Sox" learned to support an endless stream of rebuilding projects on the major league roster, under Veeck, the Allyns, and Reinsdorf, too. As recently as 1999 the ballclub was talking about serving youth as though it was a virtue unto itself. Not surprisingly, the team sucked. Once the Sox focused solely upon on-field results -- from both veterans like Carl Everett, and youngsters like Jon Garland -- did the Sox become champions. That's Ozzie's New Sox.

.... I'm sorry, but you need to have a mix of young/old or else you're stuck in a position of constantly having to over-pay to fill voids left by your older players leaving.

Since you quoted me answering your own question, I thought I would highlight it to improve your reading comprehension.
:wink:

Jon Garland was the youngest everyday player/starter for the '05 Sox, 25 years old.

You mean the Jon Garland who was demoted to the fifth starter spot before the 2005 season? THAT Jon Garland? He might have sucked forever following your prescription of patting him on the head... that's what Manuel always did...
:gulp:

By your policy, the "New Sox" are forever doomed to being the San Fran. Giants of the AL plugging holes with the likes of Dave Roberts and Omar Vizquel, needing to overpay them because you cannot develop talent. ....

Well let's see... the San Francisco Giants last accomplished as much as the 2005 White Sox back in 1954 when Leo Durocher was their manager and they played in Manhattan, just across the Harlem River from the Bronx. Yeah... good point...
:roflmao:

But I do agree with you that the New Sox are doomed to be the next Yankees by making on-field results the ultimate yardstick in making roster decisions. Sign me up for the "26 world championships plan" any day of the week.
:cool:

I know you didn't mean to do it, but thanks FedEx for helping me prove my points.
:thumbsup: