PDA

View Full Version : Cubune: Terrero to be recalled

JB98
04-29-2007, 10:18 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070429soxbrite,1,1047755.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Why call up Terrero now? Sweeney can backup Erstad in CF.

Anyway, I hope Sweeney starts every game against RHP while he's here. Otherwise, bringing him up and starting his arbitration clock was just a waste.

JB98
04-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Anyway, I hope Sweeney starts every game against RHP while he's here. Otherwise, bringing him up and starting his arbitration clock was just a waste.

Maybe they are calling up Terrero because we face a lefty (Washburn) on Tuesday. Also, I think they want a veteran because whoever they recall isn't likely to see much playing time. Who would you like them to call up? Fields? It wouldn't make sense to start the "arbitration clock" on both Sweeney AND Fields, would it?

Tragg
04-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Terrero - OBP of .254. Nice

1 walk in 61 at bats - less than a 2% walk rate. That fits right in with the new offensive philosophy.

Beer Can Chicken
04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Just what we need, another outfielder who won't play because of the Mackowiak obession.

UserNameBlank
04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Terrero - OBP of .254. Nice

1 walk in 61 at bats - less than a 2% walk rate. That fits right in with the new offensive philosophy.
In all fairness, we have no one else. At the least, Terrero isn't a prospect anymore so sitting on the bench and not playing isn't going to hurt him.

Hopefully KW is looking around for a guy with some power to help us.

FedEx227
04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Hmm, out of all the guys this is the best we could have done. Would've loved to seen Fields or Owens up there, but what can ya do. I understand the move fully, if we put a young guy up there he takes BA's ass-groove on the bench, and we go down the same road yet again. So Terrero is the best option for what the Sox are doing at this point. All I can say is, Keep building for the future.

Tragg
04-29-2007, 10:38 PM
In all fairness, we have no one else. At the least, Terrero isn't a prospect anymore so sitting on the bench and not playing isn't going to hurt him.

Hopefully KW is looking around for a guy with some power to help us.
For the next 2 weeks, these call-ups should be playing, not sitting on the bench. Maybe I'm making a leap here, but the days of Cintron as DH are over. Terrero had a good spring and I understand not blowing an option.

Wasn't there another guy like him who also had a good spring? Perez or something?

I certainly hope we don't trade top young talent for more mediocre veterans on this team. OUr young pitcher for their young hitter would be good though.

JB98
04-29-2007, 10:47 PM
For the next 2 weeks, these call-ups should be playing, not sitting on the bench. Maybe I'm making a leap here, but the days of Cintron as DH are over. Terrero had a good spring.

Wasn't there another guy like him who also had a good spring? Perez or something?

I certainly hope we don't trade top young talent for more mediocre veterans on this team. OUr young pitcher for their young hitter would be good though.

If KW is planning a trade, it's under the radar. He was quoted as follows in the paper today: "You can make a trade, but we've positioned ourselves over the last couple of years to insulate ourselves from with. We are so high on our minor-league guys we don't want to do anything that disrupts their season or rhythm. We have to make sure a player can contribute at least half the time they're here. We're in a position we don't have to look outside the organization."

HotelWhiteSox
04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I say go with a pen arm. Look at this guy Paulino Reynoso, http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Paulino%2520Reynoso&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=434603 , no earned runs and he looks like a beast. The cameraman definately needed a changing after

UserNameBlank
04-29-2007, 10:56 PM
For the next 2 weeks, these call-ups should be playing, not sitting on the bench. Maybe I'm making a leap here, but the days of Cintron as DH are over. Terrero had a good spring and I understand not blowing an option.

Perez had a good spring but got injured at the end of it though. IIRC it wasn't serious though and he should be ready to contribute to a team by now.

Mediocre veterans won't cost top young talent. Some of them cost nothing more than an organizational player if one team eats a big enough contract.

At this point, I can't see a trade where we give up young pitching for a young hitter who is valuable. There are some guys who could raise their value enough to be dealt in a pretty big deal, but the season hasn't gone on long enough yet for any one of our guys to do that. I imagine a package of Gio and Day could net us something really sweet, but IMO Gio is going nowhere. Fields' stock has to be down a bit too after his slow start and I don't think the Sox deal him unless Crede signs a reasonable extension.

Hopefully Kenny does something though. We need it.

UserNameBlank
04-29-2007, 10:57 PM
If KW is planning a trade, it's under the radar. He was quoted as follows in the paper today: "You can make a trade, but we've positioned ourselves over the last couple of years to insulate ourselves from with. We are so high on our minor-league guys we don't want to do anything that disrupts their season or rhythm. We have to make sure a player can contribute at least half the time they're here. We're in a position we don't have to look outside the organization."
That has to be posturing. He knows he doesn't have anyone ready to come in and really contribute right now. Fields would be hurt by a callup, and the Sox could be hurt by wasting an option. Hopefully Sweeney plays regularly and does a good job though.

JB98
04-29-2007, 10:57 PM
I say go with a pen arm. Look at this guy Paulino Reynoso, http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Paulino%2520Reynoso&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=434603 , no earned runs and he looks like a beast. The cameraman definately needed a changing after

13 pitchers is too much. When you get up to eight relievers, someone is going to end up not getting enough work, even with all of Ozzie's lefty/righty stuff in the late innings.

JB98
04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
That has to be posturing. He knows he doesn't have anyone ready to come in and really contribute right now. Fields would be hurt by a callup, and the Sox could be hurt by wasting an option. Hopefully Sweeney plays regularly and does a good job though.

I don't think it is posturing. I'd be surprised if KW overpays for a mediocre veteran, which is all you're going to get at this stage of the season. If Thome really is going to be out for just two weeks, we should be able to hang in there for the time being. A greater concern is Pods, who can't seem to stay healthy. I've already predicted we'll be shopping for an outfielder in July. Pure conjecture on my part, but the reason I say that is because I've lost faith in Pods' ability to go to the post day after day in LF. The current situation in LF is probably not going to work over the long haul. We need one of two things: A healthy Pods or someone from outside the organization.

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Maybe they are calling up Terrero because we face a lefty (Washburn) on Tuesday. Also, I think they want a veteran because whoever they recall isn't likely to see much playing time. Who would you like them to call up? Fields? It wouldn't make sense to start the "arbitration clock" on both Sweeney AND Fields, would it?
No. Absolutely not! Fields is not ready and as a matter of fact I read on another site that he's been looking terrible and lazy lately. Even if he was doing well, as I already posted in another thread I do not want to see Fields up on the major league roster unless they traded Crede for something very good in return.

JB98
04-29-2007, 11:10 PM
No. Absolutely not! Fields is not ready and as a matter of fact I read on another site that he's been looking terrible and lazy lately. Even if he was doing well, as I already posted in another thread I do not want to see Fields up on the major league roster unless they traded Crede for something very good in return.

You answered half my question: "No" on Fields. For the record, I agree. But then the other half of the question remains: If not Terrero, then who?

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:17 PM
You answered half my question: "No" on Fields. For the record, I agree. But then the other half of the question remains: If not Terrero, then who?
Preferably someone from out of the organization. But if it's someone from within, do they still have that career minor leaguer from spring training? I can't recall his name, but he is a thirty-something year old with like 300 career minor league home runs. Maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle for a week or two.

Or maybe Junior Spivey to ride the bench while Pablo starts at DH.

I really don't know, but I can't see a use for Terrero right now the way he's been playing. I still hope there's a trade or signing in the works.

JB98
04-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Preferably someone from out of the organization. But if it's someone from within, do they still have that career minor leaguer from spring training? I can't recall his name, but he is a thirty-something year old with like 300 career minor league home runs. Maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle for a week or two.

I really don't know, but I can't see a use for Terrero right now the way he's been playing. I still hope there's a trade or signing in the works.

Are you thinking of Ernie Young? I think Terrero might get some ABs against left-handed starters. Ozzie probably doesn't want to play Mack AND Sweeney against a lefty. We know Ozuna will start against all lefties until Pods comes back. That still leaves one spot in the lineup for Mack, Sweeney or Terrero. On nights where he wants another righty bat, Terrero will get the nod.

CLR01
04-29-2007, 11:26 PM
ken Griffey Jr. will safe us. I know it's a little early to be starting this annual thread but we might as well get it out of the way because it is coming anyway.

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Are you thinking of Ernie Young?
That's the guy.

Another guy who intrigues me is that Brazilian kid who runs like the wind. I saw him almost beat out a routine grounder to the first baseman. If they have any real hopes for him to develop into a star then it wouldn't make sense to bring him up this early, but if not they could use him solely as a pinch runner. The kid could probably score from second base on a deep fly to CF!

I doubt whoever it is they call up is going to be used much anyway.

UserNameBlank
04-29-2007, 11:27 PM
That's the guy.

Another guy who intrigues me is that Brazilian kid who runs like the wind. I saw him almost beat out a routine grounder to the first baseman. If they have any real hopes for him to develop into a star then it wouldn't make sense to bring him up this early, but if not they could use him solely as a pinch runner. The kid could probably score from second base on a deep fly to CF!

I doubt whoever it is they call up is going to be used much anyway.
Paulo Orlando, and he can FLY!!!

He can't hit though.

If we want a pinch runner we could probably get Joey Gathright for nothing. He's in Triple A with the Royals.

Tragg
04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
What about Owens? He looks like he hits Ozzie-style. No power but he has some speed. Walks some.
And from what I read on the other board, his ceiling seems to be bench player anyway.

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
ken Griffey Jr. will safe us. I know it's a little early to be starting this annual thread but we might as well get it out of the way because it is coming anyway.
How about Rickey Henderson? (Notice it's only in half-teal) :cool:

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:30 PM
If we want a pinch runner we could probably get Joey Gathright for nothing. He's in Triple A with the Royals.
Sold! :wink:

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:32 PM
What about Owens? He looks like he hits Ozzie-style. No power but he has some speed. Walks some.
And from what I read on the other board, his ceiling seems to be bench player anyway.
I thought I heard Ozzie mention today that Owens is having arm trouble again.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-29-2007, 11:32 PM

You can never go wrong betting KW acquires one of the Alomars.

:wink:

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:33 PM

I'd prefer Carl. Seriously.

getonbckthr
04-29-2007, 11:37 PM
The perfect fit for a trade is Tampa Bay. They have an over abundance of outfielders right now and need young pitching. They have Crawford, Baldelli, Dukes and Young.

Tragg
04-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Good news

Willie Harris and Timo Perez are both in the International League and sport OPS' of 1061 and 954, respectively. My guess, if Kenny is savvy, either can be had.

CLR01
04-29-2007, 11:41 PM

I would hate to see Sandy patrolling CF. :o:

UserNameBlank
04-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Good news

Willie Harris and Timo Perez are both in the International League and sport OPS' of 1061 and 954, respectively. My guess, if Kenny is savvy, either can be had.
Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch?

THE Willie Harris?

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:59 PM
THE Willie Harris?

Group Four!!! Bring back Willie! :D:

thomas35forever
04-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Brace for bafia.:D:

Jjav829
04-30-2007, 12:11 AM

Probably just to get Terrero adjusted to the role now. I'd guess Sweeney is going back down as soon as Pods is healthy enough to come off the DL, with Terrero sticking around in BA's former role.

CLR01
04-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Brace for bafia.:D:

We you see a new exclamation point record.

Vernam
04-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Group Four!!! Bring back Willie! :D: Yes, by all means. Ozzie never gave him a fair shot back in 2004-05.

Vernam

Jjav829
04-30-2007, 12:33 AM

Willie was just called up by the Braves today after they traded Ryan Langerhans (which I found to be an odd trade).

Fungo
04-30-2007, 12:34 AM

Junior Spivey has been released.

BanditJimmy
04-30-2007, 12:51 AM
[quote=JB98;1556777"You can make a trade, but we've positioned ourselves over the last couple of years to insulate ourselves from with. We are so high on our minor-league guys we don't want to do anything that disrupts their season or rhythm. We have to make sure a player can contribute at least half the time they're here. We're in a position we don't have to look outside the organization."[/quote]

I would ask Kenny to give me a name of a guy tearing up the farm right now?

This is complete nonesense.

Not saying you need to make a trade this early, but the lack of development from the farm right now might force your hand (Kenny) if you plan to stay in this race for such a difficult division. Can't be depending on brittle ball players (Thome & Pods) to be back at full strength quickly.

DMarte708
04-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Anyone else feel a little bit worried that Luis Terrero and Ryan Sweeney are our best options offensively from within the minor league system?

There better be some improvements within the next several years, or some organizational employees should be shown the door.

HotelWhiteSox
04-30-2007, 02:33 AM
13 pitchers is too much. When you get up to eight relievers, someone is going to end up not getting enough work, even with all of Ozzie's lefty/righty stuff in the late innings.

For some reason I was thinking Boone was sent down. I guess I made it up and believed it.

PalehosePlanet
04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I disagree with the earlier posters regarding Josh Fields. I believe that he would be a much better replacement for Thome than Sweeney, especially if Terrero is coming up. How many outfieldres do we need?

With Josh Fields you have a more capable power bat to replace Thome. Also he's a very good baserunner and would halp us in that respect. Scenario: Two outs and no one on, Josh singles; he's now a threat to steal second and generate a run, or at least a provide us a run scoring oppurtunity. He's also older than Sweeney and more major league ready at this point.

AZChiSoxFan
04-30-2007, 02:17 PM

:hawk "Where's he gonna play?"

UserNameBlank
04-30-2007, 02:21 PM
I disagree with the earlier posters regarding Josh Fields. I believe that he would be a much better replacement for Thome than Sweeney, especially if Terrero is coming up. How many outfieldres do we need?

With Josh Fields you have a more capable power bat to replace Thome. Also he's a very good baserunner and would halp us in that respect. Scenario: Two outs and no one on, Josh singles; he's now a threat to steal second and generate a run, or at least a provide us a run scoring oppurtunity. He's also older than Sweeney and more major league ready at this point.
I don't think Fields is ready right now and the Sox would be stupid to rush him. Yes, he does have that power which is something no one else on the farm could bring, but IMO it will take him a while to turn into a solid hitter at the Major League level. The only way he is brought up this year IMO is if it is a September callup or the Sox fall out of the race and someone is traded.

Sweeney IMO is the right call as long as he plays everyday. I can put up with Sweeney struggling here and there because he is part of our future. Pods struggling and going back and forth between LF and the DL is another story however. I thank him for his contributions, but it is time the Sox went in another direction.

Thome also needs to be looked at as a huge bonus but not an everyday guy right now. While it would be great to see him in 120-130 games, you can't count on that happening. The Sox are going to need to make a move to get another veteran here with some power who can play at least LF, DH, and give Thome a rest. If they don't the offense will continue suffering.

DickAllen72
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Probably just to get Terrero adjusted to the role now. I'd guess Sweeney is going back down as soon as Pods is healthy enough to come off the DL, with Terrero sticking around in BA's former role.
That does make sense.

Tragg
04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
That does make sense.
As long as he hits a little better than .259 OBP. I guess he's the only organizational minor leaguer available, and he swings ozzie-style, but his performance in AAA is less than exemplary.

California Sox
04-30-2007, 09:32 PM
There has been a lot of debate about BA vs. Erstad. I don't have much of an opinion, not liking either that much, but Terrero? :help:

If he's the answer, I'd hate to contemplate the question. Ozzie has basically given up putting a team on the field that will score any runs, and I suppose that's fair. Any team losing its leadoff man and #3 hitter is going to struggle. I just wonder whether we'll be looking for an outfielder in June/July or maybe dealing some of our free agents. Hope not, but we definitely need to hang around .500 until the guys get healthy.