PDA

View Full Version : *Official* only one half of the team is showing up postgame thread

ChiSox14305635
04-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Brutal.

Buehrle and the entire pitching staff deserved better than this. At least Erstad is getting on track.

And if one more soft hit ball lands in fair territory against the Sox.......:angry:

May can only get better.

SoxSpeed22
04-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Plenty of chances to get it done and other than the Erstad homer, nothing.
Welcome back, corpseball.

whitesoxfan
04-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Fire Walker.

DrewSox56
04-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Paulie is killing us. He has GOT to stop with the goddamn strikeouts.

26% rate now.

Horrible.

sox1970
04-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Fire Walker.

I'm going to blame most of the slow start on the cold weather. Let's not hit the panic button and start wanting to see guys get fired.

...and yes, I know it's warm out. I said most of the reason, so save it.

04-29-2007, 04:41 PM
.229 Team AVG going into today. That was good enough for the WORST in MLB. Today's performance actually dropped us further down.

Tragg
04-29-2007, 04:44 PM
The lineup is really weak as it is; couple that with the best hitters hitting poorly, and this is what we get.

Sweeney took a walk and has a .333 OBP after 1 game - not bad for this offense.

TheOldRoman
04-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Walkerball lives! The Sox put on another hitting clinic today. If Escobar was half as good as Hawk seems to believe, this loss might be escusable. I don't know the other hitting coaches in baseball, so I can't say with confidence that Walker is the worst, but he is near the top. I wonder at what point they can him? Unfornately, before he would get to that point, the offense will go back to early 06 form (6 runs a game, all on homers) for a week or so, restoring KW's confidence in him, and we will struggle just as mightily later in the season.

And the pitching hasn't exactly been great lately. It has been sloppy. First inning explosions, lazy pitches they wish they could have back, giving back leads, etc... These Angels are a bad offensive team. I'm sure it is hard on a Sox pitcher knowing that 3 runs is almost insurmountable at this point, but that pitching could be a lot better. Buehrle was far from his best today.

sox1970
04-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Did BA get sent down? I think I just heard that.

Edit: Anderson was sent to AAA. Roster move will be made on Tuesday.

VenturaFan23
04-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Walkerball lives! The Sox put on another hitting clinic today. If Escobar was half as good as Hawk seems to believe, this loss might be escusable. I don't know the other hitting coaches in baseball, so I can't say with confidence that Walker is the worst, but he is near the top. I wonder at what point they can him? Unfornately, before he would get to that point, the offense will go back to early 06 form (6 runs a game, all on homers) for a week or so, restoring KW's confidence in him, and we will struggle just as mightily later in the season.

You couldn't be more right

thedudeabides
04-29-2007, 04:59 PM

Yes, ozzie was just talking about it at the press conference.

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
The Sox do not have a strong offensive attack. Anyone who disagrees should get their noses out of last years stat sheets and actually watch the games. I don't care how many runs they scored last season, their approach has been poor the last part of last season and into this one.

Having Pods and Thome out certainly doesn't help, but it just highlights the fact that the Sox have little depth, and they were one bat short to start with even before the injuries. And although I love A.J., he has no business batting cleanup in any order.

Our pitching has been good enough to be much better than one game over .500.

The weather has been the same for both the Sox and their opponents, so that's not a valid excuse. This team needs some type of spark. I don't know what KW can do, but this team as currently constructed will not win this tough Central division unless the other teams sustain some major injuries.

And Erstad is certainly making the "experts" who told us he is worthless look foolish.

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Yay!

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
According to Hawk, Weaver and Escobar are the second coming of Drysdale and Koufax.

It appears Hawk has not seen this offesne perform the entire season. They make everyone look like the next Cy Young.

Hawk and DJ need to get off the ass kissing and call it how it is.

delben91
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I refuse to believe the Sox will hit under .230 as a team all season.

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
According to Hawk, Weaver and Escobar are the second coming of Drysdale and Koufax.

It appears Hawk has not seen this offesne perform the entire season. They make everyone look like the next Cy Young.

You're tellin' me!:cheers:

Jerome
04-29-2007, 05:09 PM
nice job erstad with the HW

I really like Erstad as a fill in for the injured Pods (what he was brought here to be)

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM

How nice.

The 25th guy on the roster takes the bullet for the struggles of the entire offesne.

Funny how Machowiak (Ozzie's boy) gets a pass in all of this.

Jerome
04-29-2007, 05:11 PM
I can't even bear to listen to the broadcast with the sound anymore. Hawk and DJ make me want to puke.

HotelWhiteSox
04-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I can't even bear to listen to the broadcast with the sound anymore. Hawk and DJ make me want to puke.

'toughest april schedule ever...weather...' :whiner:

At one point I yelled out 'would you like some cheese with that whine?'

DrewSox56
04-29-2007, 05:13 PM

They DID look like Drysdale and Koufax the way they kept our production down. What "ass kissing" are you talking about?

I don't get it - A team with a horrible away record comes to town and wins the series, and you don't think they deserve credit for pitching the way they're supposed to.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Corlose 15
04-29-2007, 05:25 PM
You guys do realize the hole in the "they're only hitting poorly because its cold out" excuse right?

Maybe, the Sox are only pitching well because its cold out.

This offense is a joke right now. Without Pods they have no balance and without Thome they lose a lot of OPS.

Then again Escobar pretty much is the ****. :rolleyes:

The Immigrant
04-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Mackowiak batting second and A.J. batting cleanup? What a ****ing joke.

And what about scratching out a run here and there? When was the last time this offense manufactured a run? What's the point of having Mackowiak in the lineup if he can't even move a runner to second with no outs, instead hitting into a double play? Unbelievable.

Not surprisingly, Uribe has gone back to swinging from his heels.

Dusty = Neifi Perez
Ozzie = Alex Cintron

MarySwiss
04-29-2007, 05:40 PM
How nice.

The 25th guy on the roster takes the bullet for the struggles of the entire offesne.

Funny how Machowiak (Ozzie's boy) gets a pass in all of this.

Sorry, but no. Anderson being sent down does not equate with "taking the bullet.." etc. He's hardly playing at all, and when he does, well, it's not like he's exactly lighting up the opposing pitchers.

And Anderson is still just a little beyond his rookie year. Don't get me wrong; I thing BA is an above-average defensive center fielder, but his offense--to put it bluntly--sucks. To compare him to Mackowiak right now is a bit of a stretch. Mack is a veteran player who can play numerous positions--infield and outfield--and supply some power off the bench.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 05:47 PM
They DID look like Drysdale and Koufax the way they kept our production down. What "ass kissing" are you talking about?

I don't get it - A team with a horrible away record comes to town and wins the series, and you don't think they deserve credit for pitching the way they're supposed to.

Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the 2007 season DrewSox. Glad you were able to tune in to the your first two games the last 2 nights.

FYI, this offesne is hittig about .225 right now which is good for last in all of MLB. They have made about 85% of the starting pitchers they have faced this year look like Johan Santana out there. And we are talking about some real bad pitchers like say a Chad Durbin.

I am all for tipping hats, but I'm not going to do it each and every night.

DrewSox56
04-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the 2007 season DrewSox. Glad you were able to tune in to the your first two games the last 2 nights.

FYI, this offesne is hittig about .225 right now which is good for last in all of MLB. They have made about 85% of the starting pitchers they have faced this year look like Johan Santana out there. And we are talking about some real bad pitchers like say a Chad Durbin.

I am all for tipping hats, but I'm not going to do it each and every night.

:rolleyes:

Then don't.

If it were Buehrle with the 8 IP, 4 H, 2 ER line, would you concede that the Angels are scuffling and that was why he had that performance?

Gimme a break. All I'm saying is that we all know the bats are cold, but it's devoid of any class to take credit away from a team that had every reason in the world (supported by their road record, BTW), to help us get hot.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 05:55 PM
To compare him to Mackowiak right now is a bit of a stretch. Mack is a veteran player who can play numerous positions--infield and outfield--and supply some power off the bench.

He plays numerous positions and he plays them all below average. His bat off the bench has been a complete dissapointment to what we see from him in Pitt.

So Mack is going to play every day the rest of the way until Thome gets back, I would much rather see my once top pick prospect to get those ABs instead of him. 15 days could equate to about 50 ABs for Anderson which could be a boost of confidence for him to make something out of them. He fails in those two weeks, then cut him lose to AAA.

There is more of a future upside to Anderson with this team (if Ozzie gives him that chance) than there is with Mack. The way they are both slumping right now it's a chance I would take with Anderson.

itsnotrequired
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Sig update time...

skobabe8
04-29-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm going to blame most of the slow start on the cold weather. Let's not hit the panic button and start wanting to see guys get fired.

...and yes, I know it's warm out. I said most of the reason, so save it.

No.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Then don't.

If it were Buehrle with the 8 IP, 4 H, 2 ER line, would you concede that the Angels are scuffling and that was why he had that performance?

Gimme a break. All I'm saying is that we all know the bats are cold, but it's devoid of any class to take credit away from a team that had every reason in the world (supported by their road record, BTW), to help us get hot.

Honestly, I think Weaver and Escobar throwing great baseball the last two nights is more of credit to our offense being bad right now.

DrewSox56
04-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Honestly, I think Weaver and Escobar throwing great baseball the last two nights is more of credit to our offense being bad right now.

Ok. Is that Hawk and DJ's fault?

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Ok. Is that Hawk and DJ's fault?

Yes

Why continue to sound foolish with it and not acknowledge that our team is hitting .225 for the year and maybe that's the reason all of a sudden every starter in the league is putting up ZEROs against us?

3 things I am sick of on evey broadcast:

1. Toughest April schedule in the 200 years I have been covering the Sox - Hawk.
2. The cold weather excuse
3. Tip your hat to the opposing pitcher

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-29-2007, 06:25 PM
In '05 the Jndians weren't hitting **** at first. Then they fired Murray as their hitting coach, and they turned it on after that. Sadly that might be the route the Sox should take.

UserNameBlank
04-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Yes

Why continue to sound foolish with it and not acknowledge that our team is hitting .225 for the year and maybe that's the reason all of a sudden every starter in the league is putting up ZEROs against us?

3 things I am sick of on evey broadcast:

1. Toughest April schedule in the 200 years I have been covering the Sox - Hawk.
2. The cold weather excuse
3. Tip your hat to the opposing pitcher

Hawk is a human excuse machine. DJ I think goes along with it because he has to.

On the play where the 3rd base ump blew the call and said Willits left 3rd early and cost the Angels a run, Hawk tried to put it on the baserunner for not waiting a second before taking off. If that call went the same way with the Sox at bat he wouldn't shut up about it for 3 innings.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 06:34 PM
[quote=UserNameBlank;1556515]DJ I think goes along with it because he has to.

quote]

DJ does not want to be out of a job like Wimpy was.

What a puppet.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 06:36 PM
In '05 the Jndians weren't hitting **** at first. Then they fired Murray as their hitting coach, and they turned it on after that. Sadly that might be the route the Sox should take.

You can't fire your 13 position players unless your name is Brian Anderson.

So the next step to take is fire the "Hitting Instructor" to spark some fire on this offense.

Parrothead
04-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Maybe I am in the minority here but today was not a good pitching performance. 5 runs were scored that is bad. And thier 3.91 team era is not that great either. Everyday, it is something with these guys. Right now they just plain stink.

delben91
04-29-2007, 06:41 PM
DJ does not want to be out of a job like Wimpy was.

What a puppet.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to lose my job either. I kind of enjoy having an income.

Not saying DJ is or isn't being a puppet, but regardless, if his motivation is to keep his job...well, I just figure most people would try to keep their job, regardless of their occupation.

slobes
04-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Well that sucked. Yeah it's early, but we gotta get our act together pronto, especially with Thome gone for a while.

itsnotrequired
04-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Total, classic, post-loss hater thread.

I luv 'em...

Patrick134
04-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Ok then let's fire Eddie Murray.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I know the Sox don't have a ton of speed, especially in the middle of the order, so I'm not going to say that they need to try to steal more bases. But what about putting on the hit and run? How about trying to make things happen, perhaps with a bunt? I'll give Erstad credit last night; at least he tried to bunt his way on during his first at bat.

I'm afraid this looks a lot like corpseball; for all of Ozzie's "reputation" as an "NL style" manager, he sure seems to sit back and wait for one of the two-toed sloths in the middle of the order to hit a five-run homer.

itsnotrequired
04-29-2007, 07:21 PM
I know the Sox don't have a ton of speed, especially in the middle of the order, so I'm not going to say that they need to try to steal more bases. But what about putting on the hit and run? How about trying to make things happen, perhaps with a bunt? I'll give Erstad credit last night; at least he tried to bunt his way on during his first at bat.

I'm afraid this looks a lot like corpseball; for all of Ozzie's "reputation" as an "NL style" manager, he sure seems to sit back and wait for one of the two-toed sloths in the middle of the order to hit a five-run homer.

See, this is funny.

:D:

The Dude
04-29-2007, 07:22 PM

I luv 'em...

I luv it when you analyze!

dickallen15
04-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Hawk is a human excuse machine. DJ I think goes along with it because he has to.

On the play where the 3rd base ump blew the call and said Willits left 3rd early and cost the Angels a run, Hawk tried to put it on the baserunner for not waiting a second before taking off. If that call went the same way with the Sox at bat he wouldn't shut up about it for 3 innings.

It actually was the homeplate ump that called him out. I figured the replay must have shown him to have not left early because the manager got tossed after he went back into the dugout and someone saw the replay, but at the park he sure did look like he left way early.

cbotnyse
04-29-2007, 07:27 PM

I luv 'em...:D:Even Hawk and DJ are getting ripped! Its not their fault we cant score any damn runs.

P.S. Hawk rules.

itsnotrequired
04-29-2007, 07:34 PM
:D:Even Hawk and DJ are getting ripped! Its not their fault we cant score any damn runs.

P.S. Hawk rules.

I'm going to start ripping ex-announcers. They surely must have SOME part to play in this season that is already down the toilet and can never be recovered so we should all probably stop watching the games and become fans of other, better, more-polished teams. 2.5 back in April? Forget it. Stick a fork in it.

MetroPD
04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
4 hits and Jenks getting hit again........

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2007, 07:56 PM
4 hits and Jenks getting hit again........

I'm surprised it took this long for the top of the ninth to come up. Jenks really put the game out of reach with his incompetence/incontinence/impotence today.

Patrick134
04-29-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm surprised it took this long for the top of the ninth to come up. Jenks really put the game out of reach with his incompetence/incontinence/impotence today.

Bringing closers in non save situations is often disasterous.

Brian26
04-29-2007, 08:02 PM

And rightfully so. The Sox baserunners don't cheat by leaving early. :D:

Brian26
04-29-2007, 08:05 PM

Hahaha. Post of the week! :D:

goon
04-29-2007, 08:18 PM
The Sox look pull-happy.

Frontman
04-29-2007, 08:32 PM
First game of the season for me to go to, my son's first ever game, and the Sox forget how to bat. I did laugh at the timing of it, though.

"Daddy, when will they finally hit a home run?"

*Erstad goes deep*

"How's that, son?"

"Great. Now can Paulie go deep?"

Ah well. I refuse to start burning my Sox shirts in effigy, but it was really, really frustrating watching us get runners into scoring position with 1 or no outs, then can't get them in.

Dude, I just looked. We're almost last in the division; last if you don't count Kanas City.

Hope this trip to Seattle gets the bats warm.

Vernam
04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey, Banditjimmy and DrewSox, get a room! :cool:

See, this is funny. :D:But think of how many other posts we have to read through to find a gem like that. :redneck

OK, it was a beautiful day, and the Sox deserve no credit for that whatsoever. What do they deserve credit for? Let me get back to you all on that . . .

It's just a shame to waste well-pitched games like this. I know we're short-handed without Thome, but if we hit like this throughout his DL stint, by mid-May we're going to be closer to KC than to Cleveland in the standings. Of course, sane people believe we won't continue to hit like this. I've been believing it since March, and I'm still sane! (OK, bad example. :wink:)

Vernam

JB98
04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
He plays numerous positions and he plays them all below average. His bat off the bench has been a complete dissapointment to what we see from him in Pitt.

So Mack is going to play every day the rest of the way until Thome gets back, I would much rather see my once top pick prospect to get those ABs instead of him. 15 days could equate to about 50 ABs for Anderson which could be a boost of confidence for him to make something out of them. He fails in those two weeks, then cut him lose to AAA.

There is more of a future upside to Anderson with this team (if Ozzie gives him that chance) than there is with Mack. The way they are both slumping right now it's a chance I would take with Anderson.

Are you aware that Mack hit a career-best .290 last year as a member of the Sox? What are you not seeing now that you saw from him when he was with the Pirates? I don't understand. Mack's best month almost every year of his career has been May, and I expect a hot streak soon. Like most hitters on the club, Mack is slumping. But I've seen some better swings from him the last couple days than I have from Dye and Konerko.The only positive from attending today's game: Beautiful weather. Aside from Erstad, we suck at the plate. Everyone sucks. All of them. Konerko, Dye, Crede and AJ all slumping at the same time. It's the epitome of crap right now. For me the fourth inning told the story today. We catch a huge break with Paulie reaching on a two-base error. Man at second, no outs for AJ, Dye and Crede. Paulie never moves. The middle of this order is just ****ing brutal by any standard right now.

JB98
04-29-2007, 09:14 PM

Cintron led off the third inning with a single, and the Sox tried a hit-and-run on the very next pitch. Uribe fouled it off. In the fourth, Konerko reached on a two-base error. On the next pitch, AJ tried to bunt but looked so pathetic on the attempt that Ozzie took the play off.What do you want Ozzie to do? He put a couple plays on today; they didn't work. Further, you can't sacrifice or hit-and-run when there are two outs and nobody on in every ****ing inning. At some point, the players have to hit the ball, and they have to execute. I don't fault Ozzie, not in the least.

shoelessshaun27!
04-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Every time me and Dan the Man go to a game the b-team is always playing. I was there today. The hitting was pretty sad but what the heck since Thome is out AJ is batting clean up. That is ridiculous. I'm not trying to be dumb but Dye should be there.

JB98
04-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Every time me and Dan the Man go to a game the b-team is always playing. I was there today. The hitting was pretty sad but what the heck since Thome is out AJ is batting clean up. That is ridiculous. I'm not trying to be dumb but Dye should be there.

I agree that Dye should bat fourth right now, if not third. But frankly, it doesn't matter. Aside from Erstad, nobody is hitting.

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-29-2007, 09:29 PM

Good one.

TornLabrum
04-29-2007, 09:33 PM
This was my first game this year in my greatly reduced schedule, and to say it was a disappointment would be an understatement. As soon as Buehrle gave up those back-to-back solo shots after we gave him a 2-0 lead, I knew we were doomed. It had early-2000s team written all over it.

itsnotrequired
04-29-2007, 10:08 PM
This was my first game this year in my greatly reduced schedule, and to say it was a disappointment would be an understatement. As soon as Buehrle gave up those back-to-back solo shots after we gave him a 2-0 lead, I knew we were doomed. It had early-2000s team written all over it.

:darkclouds:

:tongue:

viagracat
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM

I didn't think we were "doomed" at that point, but I will say that with Buehrle, it seems either he's tough as hell or very hittable, with no in-between. When it became clear he was the latter today, you knew the Sox needed to step it up at the plate, and it never happened today.

That broken-bat ducksnort in the 9th just added insult to injury. Haven't seen Hawk that distraught all season, although I'll admit I missed the telecast of Thames' game tying homer.

And Willets should have been called out on general principle even if he didn't leave the bag early, but that was on the third base coach. Willets wasn't watching the ball, as he shouldn't have to be. Absolutely no reason to even tempt fate when the outfileder is on the ground after the catch, as Sweeney was. Wait a half-sacond; you got the time. You can bet Scioscia aired the coach out for that blunder.

JB98
04-29-2007, 10:23 PM
I didn't think we were "doomed" at that point, but I will say that with Buehrle, it seems either he's tough as hell or very hittable, with no in-between. When it became clear he was the latter today, you knew the Sox needed to step it up at the plate, and it never happened today.

That broken-bat ducksnort in the 9th just added insult to injury. Haven't seen Hawk that distraught all season, although I'll admit I missed the telecast of Thames' game tying homer.

Personally, the homer was easier to take. Thames smoked that ball. The Angels ducksnorted us to death the last two days. That two-run inning against Garland on Saturday was filled with cheap hits. That hit in the ninth today just added to the frustration.

kitekrazy
04-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Jenks doesn't seem to be a clutch pitcher anymore.

JB98
04-29-2007, 10:49 PM

He got beat on a broken-bat bleeder today. **** happens.

kitekrazy
04-29-2007, 10:53 PM
He got beat on a broken-bat bleeder today. **** happens.

Who put those guys on base?

JB98
04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Who put those guys on base?

Well, Ozzie put one of them on by ordering an intentional walk. You're willing to declare that Jenks is no longer a clutch pitcher because he gave up a leadoff single and a broken-bat bleeder in the ninth today?

RockJock07
04-30-2007, 12:00 AM
The 4th inning was a great example of how horriable this offense is. Konerko reachs on an error, man on 2nd, no one out. A.J. has the worst AB i've seen all season, followed by Dye and Crede also having poor at bats.

I don't know if you fire walker or not, but something needs to be done, bring in Carl Crawford or something, because these teams needs to get guys on base and needs to start stringing hits together instead of waiting for the homer.

One bright spot is Sweeney, I ready to see what this kid does with his time. With a solid performance here, Sweeney could move ahead of Anderson. who knows....

TheOldRoman
04-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Bull****. I didn't mind when Jenks gave up the runs. He is gonna give up so many runs no matter what so he might as well "get a few out of the way". Besides, with this offense, 1 run is an insurmountable lead, so when it happened you just knew it wouldn't change things.

BanditJimmy
04-30-2007, 12:44 AM

lucky for you this was only your first time.

I have been there 5 times this year and they have lost all 5 times!

CC
Johan
Tejada
Durbin
Weaver
Escobar

I could see us struggling versus the top 2 on that list, but the other 4 is completely in-excuseable if you claim to have a "potent" offense.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2007, 01:37 AM
The ONE thing that this team is built to do is hit, the hits will come. But we miss Thome awfully bad. We need to get out there and start manufacturing some god damned runs.

Ozzie had a good point in the paper today, he said that whoever wins this division is going to win it in the second half, and we're pretty banged up right now, all we need to do is keep our head above water and we'll be fine.

BanditJimmy
04-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Ozzie had a good point in the paper today, he said that whoever wins this division is going to win it in the second half, and we're pretty banged up right now, all we need to do is keep our head above water and we'll be fine.

I don't buy that one bit. It's easy to come out and say this just so people don't panic since things are not going great right now. If it was the other way around where we would be sitting right now with a 17-6 record, you would hear everyone in Ozzie and Hawk saying that it was important to get off to a hot start being that the division is so strong.

Ozzie needs to look back to 2005 to remember that a hot April and May is what won us the division.

StillMissOzzie
04-30-2007, 02:27 AM

It actually was the homeplate ump that called him out. I figured the replay must have shown him to have not left early because the manager got tossed after he went back into the dugout and someone saw the replay, but at the park he sure did look like he left way early.

Disclaimer: I still haven't seen the highlights of this game, but I did catch the post-game radio report to learn that BA --> AAA. I also heard the radio replays...to Ed Farmer's credit, he did say that the runner left early when it happened.

What a pissy day! I left the Kane County Cougars game at the end of 7, and they were losing 8-0 at the time (Learned final score was 13-5). We had to leave that game early because today was my son's season opener. On the way home, we heard the post-game report and Ozzie's post game presser. Then, for the nightcap, my son's team lost a real ugly game. I will spare him and the team further humiliation and just tell you they lost 13-9.

I lost a triple header today... :angry: :whiner:

SMO
:mad:

Madscout
04-30-2007, 09:40 AM
The guys with the best averages on the team are hurt.
Thome .340 AVG .553 OBP
Pods .303 AVG .378 OBP

Once we get Pods back, if he is healthy, this lineup will look a lot different.

palehozenychicty
04-30-2007, 09:48 AM
I've only seen a couple games live, and it seems like they never make any type of adjustments at the plate. Everyone is swinging for the fences. I know that we have an aggressive stable of hitters, but make the pitcher beat you by throwing strikes. Chad Durbin was a case in point, as guys were just flailing away. It has to stop.

SBSoxFan
04-30-2007, 09:57 AM

Farmer called this immediately. After seeing the replay Farmer was assured, and singleton agreed with him too. I don't think either would have been hesitant to say the replay showed otherwise.

kitekrazy
04-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, Ozzie put one of them on by ordering an intentional walk. You're willing to declare that Jenks is no longer a clutch pitcher because he gave up a leadoff single and a broken-bat bleeder in the ninth today?

Nope. That's just one small example. He seems to put himself in a lot of situations opening an inning. A 1-2-3 inning is becoming rare.

Pitches go to the backstop which makes me think that A.J. just can't handle his curve. That may be part of the problem.

Jerko
04-30-2007, 02:19 PM
A lot of closers give up runs when they come into games trailing or in other non-save situations. I just don't want Bobby "unavailable" on this road trip because he pitched yesterday. :rolleyes:

kitekrazy
04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
A lot of closers give up runs when they come into games trailing or in other non-save situations.

You need to spend less time at Wrigley Field.

Jerko
04-30-2007, 03:02 PM
You need to spend less time at Wrigley Field.

A lot of closers give up runs when they are in tie games, have big leads, or are trailing. Not just at Wrigley. Keith Foulke made an art form out of it. Borowski blew a huge lead this year, we beat the A's when Street came into a tie game in the 9th IIRC; I believe Nathan has lost a couple games when he was brought into a non-save situation, etc.....

SBSoxFan
04-30-2007, 03:24 PM

A lot of closers give up runs when they are in tie games, have big leads, or are trailing. Not just at Wrigley. Keith Foulke made an art form out of it. Borowski blew a huge lead this year, we beat the A's when Street came into a tie game in the 9th IIRC; I believe Nathan has lost a couple games when he was brought into a non-save situation, etc.....

How could you leave out Mariano Rivera?

kitekrazy
04-30-2007, 03:39 PM

I'm not talking about one game but how many times has Jenks started the 9th and have a 1-2-3 inning. He has to put out his own fire. It gets you worried if he comes in with guys on.

:o:

JB98
04-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Nope. That's just one small example. He seems to put himself in a lot of situations opening an inning. A 1-2-3 inning is becoming rare.

Pitches go to the backstop which makes me think that A.J. just can't handle his curve. That may be part of the problem.

We've lost one game because of Bobby this season. The second game in Oakland. I'm not sure why there is any concern.