PDA

View Full Version : Alomar On Catching


CiscoCarlos
03-26-2002, 11:10 AM
MLB Radio Announcers this weekend were disputing the views of Sandy Alomar Jr. Apparently he said in an interview that the importance of catchers in terms of overall team pitching is overrated. He noted that the pitchers wave off the catchers if their calling is deemed wrong and catchers have no power over a pitcher having good stuff or bad.

I know Fisk would disagree, but maybe he's right. Alomar has always struck me as someone who has a good understanding of the game.

nut_stock
03-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Maybe he's saying that to cover his rear, since our pitching has sucked this spring.

Jerry_Manuel
03-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Maybe he's saying that to cover his rear, since our pitching has sucked this spring.

I don't think so, Sandy has only played in 7 or 8 games this spring.

RichH55
03-26-2002, 11:53 AM
But Catcher is the next hardest position to understand after Pitching....and it is so wrapped in mystery that you really don't know what to think about it...and finding a good catcher is just as hard

DrCrawdad
03-26-2002, 12:15 PM
http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,178656,00.html

"Rauch has come a long way," Alomar said. "Pitching for the U.S. [Olympic team] is big. Big games, and he was facing Cuban hitters there. When he gets his stuff right he's going to be a good pitcher. Experience matters to a point. If you don't have your stuff, you don't panic.

Did Rauch face the Cuban team? IIRC Rauch beat the South Africans, or some other non-baseball country, right?

Chisoxfn
03-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Catching is definately important but I think Sandy makes some good points. The catcher can't go out and throw the pitches and if the pitcher shakes his call off and gets hammered how could it be his fault? Still on the most part catchers do a lot of scouting to help the pitcher out. Not only does the pitcher watch film on opponents but the catcher does the same and then the two of them can go over it setting up a gameplan. I bet its a lot easier when you have two people going over it and talking about it compared to just one.

The catcher is also the one that impliments the game plan. I'd say that makes him pretty damn important. He also knows his pitchres stuff, what he can and can't throw and he has to be the one to tell him that and make him aware of it at times during a game.

Of course the other thing the catcher has to do is move the fielders around into position so they are playing the right way for the hitter that is up and for the pitch selection that will be thrown. Then there is the blocking of the plate and throwing guys out which is just an after thought when you compare it to all the other stuff they do.

This is why I like MJ so much. I think he does an awesome job calling the game, knowing his pitchers strengths as well as knowing their limits. He may not have a cannon arm but he gets the job done on the more important aspects. What I worry about Alomar is if he can ever have that great of chemistry with our pitchers because he is always hurt. Heck, he hasn't even caught most of them this spring which can't bode well for the regular season.

foulkesfan11
03-26-2002, 01:22 PM
Here we go with MJ again. Blah!

Paulwny
03-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
He noted that the pitchers wave off the catchers if their calling is deemed wrong



It all depends upon who is pitching. A veteran pitcher can easily wave off a pitch, I'm willing to bet that young guns are told to let a veteran catcher call the pitches.

czalgosz
03-26-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny



It all depends upon who is pitching. A veteran pitcher can easily wave off a pitch, I'm willing to bet that young guns are told to let a veteran catcher call the pitches.

If I were Danny Wright, say, I wouldn't shake off Sandy Alomar. I'd assume that he knew what he was doing.

I would think that the catcher is very important for how a pitcher, especially a young pitcher, performs out on the mound.

kermittheefrog
03-26-2002, 06:53 PM
This is something there is evidence to back up. One of the BP guys did a big study and showed that the catcher has no statistically significant effect on the pitching staff. I'm glad to hear Sandy, a veteran big league catcher back something like that up.

czalgosz
03-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
This is something there is evidence to back up. One of the BP guys did a big study and showed that the catcher has no statistically significant effect on the pitching staff. I'm glad to hear Sandy, a veteran big league catcher back something like that up.

Don't managers and/or pitching coaches call most games these days, anyway?

Paulwny
03-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Don't managers and/or pitching coaches call most games these days, anyway?

I brought this up last year about Nardi calling the pitches. Someone replied that they had it on "good authority" that the catchers were calling the game.

czalgosz
03-26-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny


I brought this up last year about Nardi calling the pitches. Someone replied that they had it on "good authority" that the catchers were calling the game.

I haven't been able to watch many games, but I know for a fact that Josh Paul doesn't call his own games, and if Mark Johnson does, he started doing it recently. You can see them look towards the dugout for signs.

Paulwny
03-26-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


I haven't been able to watch many games, but I know for a fact that Josh Paul doesn't call his own games, and if Mark Johnson does, he started doing it recently. You can see them look towards the dugout for signs.

I also brought up that the catchers were continually looking toward the dugout. The reply was " only when someone was on base, pitch-outs, throws to first". I probably see fewer sox games then you, sigh, so I had nothing to back me up.
If Nardi is calling the pitches, maybe it's time for the pitchers/catchers to call the pitches.

Daver
03-26-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny


I also brought up that the catchers were continually looking toward the dugout. The reply was " only when someone was on base, pitch-outs, throws to first". I probably see fewer sox games then you, sigh, so I had nothing to back me up.
If Nardi is calling the pitches, maybe it's time for the pitchers/catchers to call the pitches.

Better yet

:firenardi

Paulwny
03-26-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by daver


Better yet

:firenardi

We've agreed on this since last summer, Tommy John.

Chisoxfn
03-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Tommy John would be awesome but I also like Steve Stone.

Pete_SSAC
03-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Tommy John would be awesome but I also like Steve Stone.

:bionic
Don't forget me.