PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Weaving into trouble 4/28/07 Postgame Thread

SpartanSoxFan
04-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, that was terrible. When are these bats gonna wake up???

sox1970
04-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Well, that was terrible. When are these bats gonna wake up???

It was good pitching tonight. Cintron's timing isn't there yet, but the Angels pitchers were very good.

SpartanSoxFan
04-28-2007, 09:01 PM
My point is that we don't see any of the big bats in the lineup hitting much better than .200 so far. Weaver is a very good pitcher, don't get me wrong. But c'mon now. Hurry back, Jim! :(:

sox1970
04-28-2007, 09:02 PM
My point is that we don't see any of the big bats in the lineup hitting much better than .200 so far. Weaver is a very good pitcher, don't get me wrong. But c'mon now. Hurry back, Jim! :(:

Jim will be missed, but I think the Sox have a huge May and June coming.

Tragg
04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
We were shut out tonight; scored on homers and doubles last night; shut out for 8 innings game before that (scored 2 meaningless runs in the 9th).

Cintron's a good utility infielder - he's not a good hitter at any time.

And our good hitters, the few that we have healthy, aren't hitting well.

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Definitely a disappointing night offense-wise, but we have won 7 of our last 10; let's take the series tomorrow.

sox1970
04-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Ryan Sweeney has been called up.

FedEx227
04-28-2007, 09:15 PM

Where'd you hear this, just curious, not denying it, I just want to see the article.

Edit: And I'm assuming that means Thome is officially DLed.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Well if that is the case shame on the Sox if they aren't planning on getting anyone who could really help us, and even more shame on the Sox if they plan on giving him the Anderson treatment and sitting him on the bench, which is what Ozzie said he was going to do during the game.

Nothing against Sweeney, but this team needs some power right now. Hopefully he is a substitute for Pods, not Thome, and KW actually gets someone we can use. Edit: I wouldn't mind starting the clock on Ryan if it meant that the Sox have finally given up on expecting Pods to be healthy.

DickAllen72
04-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Bad move if true.

Starting the arbitration clock early and Ozzie already said the guy he brings up is going to be a bench player while the Dh duties are split between Cintron, Pablo and Mack. Just setting the kid up for failure. He's not ready yet and sitting on the bench will delay his development.

Let's just hope Ozzie doesn't kill his trade value as well.

sox1970
04-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Where'd you hear this, just curious, not denying it, I just want to see the article.

Edit: And I'm assuming that means Thome is officially DLed.

Yes, Rongey on the postgame show confirmed Thome is on the DL, and Sweeney is supposedly coming up, even though it didn't come out of Ozzie's mouth.

CLR01
04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
More playing time the next 15 days- Anderson or Sweeney? I'll take Sweeney.

Foulke You
04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Nothing against Sweeney, but this team needs some power right now. Hopefully he is a substitute for Pods, not Thome, and KW actually gets someone we can use. Edit: I wouldn't mind starting the clock on Ryan if it meant that the Sox have finally given up on expecting Pods to be healthy.
Agreed. This lineup is missing some bases clearing pop. I would have rather seen someone with a tad more power like Casey Rogowski or Josh Fields called up. Fields was knocking the cover off the ball in Spring Training. Couldn't he DH for a while?:?:

Foulke You
04-28-2007, 09:31 PM
As far as tonight's game, it is tough to sweep a team like the Angels. I'll be more than happy with a series victory tomorrow. Another tough arm out on that bump in Escobar for Sunday. Crede should be happy though, I have many fond memories of the 2005 ALCS of Joe owning Mr. Escobar.:D:

chisoxfanatic
04-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Fortunately there's another game in 15.5 hours. This one just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Where was the clutch hitting?

Lip Man 1
04-28-2007, 09:32 PM
User:

According to a story on White Sox.com, Williams was quoted as saying he's going the minor league route with Thome on the DL for two weeks.

Both he and Ozzie were quoted in the story as saying they want everyone (Hall, Posednik and Thome) healthy for the second half of the season where they say the division will be won or lost.

They said they feel the team has enough talent and ability to stay in it until the second half.

Lip

CLR01
Agreed. This lineup is missing some bases clearing pop. I would have rather seen someone with a tad more power like Casey Rogowski or Josh Fields called up. Fields was knocking the cover off the ball in Spring Training. Couldn't he DH for a while?:?:

Nope, we can't afford to put a young guy in the line-up.

oeo
Well if that is the case shame on the Sox if they aren't planning on getting anyone who could really help us, and even more shame on the Sox if they plan on giving him the Anderson treatment and sitting him on the bench, which is what Ozzie said he was going to do during the game.

What do you want them to do right now? Look at the date, no one is going to make trades right now.

sox1970
04-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Rogowski was dropped off the 40 man last week. Fields has been struggling this season so far. Rogo has been downright brutal.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 09:40 PM
User:

According to a story on White Sox.com, Williams was quoted as saying he's going the minor league route with Thome on the DL for two weeks.

Both he and Ozzie were quoted in the story as saying they want everyone (Hall, Posednik and Thome) healthy for the second half of the season where they say the division will be won or lost.

They said they feel the team has enough talent and ability to stay in it until the second half.

Lip
I saw that article and read all the BS inside of it about how the Sox have so many options in the minors including Sweeney, Fields, and Owens.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Sweeney at all if the Sox and Ozzie especially cut all the bull**** and just said, "we can't count on Pods being healthy anymore, so we are going with the future." If they actually made a commitment to him and started him as the everyday LF, with Ozuna and Pablo going back to their roles, I'd be happy.

If they did that though, we'd still need some more pop. Ozzie would play Sweeney in CF as well as Erstad, so BA could be sent down to Triple A to get some AB's. All the Sox would have to do is pick up some veteran who other teams have been trying to dump since the early offseason and use him as a DH/LF/1B whatever to makeup for Thome being out.

I love this team to no end, but some of the recent personnel decisions and especially Ozzie's attitude towards some of his players has really been frustrating as hell lately. I don't know what they are thinking at all.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 09:45 PM
What do you want them to do right now? Look at the date, no one is going to make trades right now.
I'll get flamed for this, but Jacque Jones is available and shouldn't cost much. As a DH/LF that is one idea, although a RH bat would be preferrable. There is always someone looking to dump a contract. I don't expect the Sox to go out and get an allstar, just get someone who is some kind of threat. For all we know Thome is going to be in and out of the lineup all year. He's too old to be counted on everyday, especially considering he spent almost all of '05 on the DL and battled injuries throughout the second half last year despite getting a lot of time off.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Oh my god, is anyone listening to this guy with Rongey right now?

sox1970
04-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh my god, is anyone listening to this guy with Rongey right now?

Yes. Wow.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Yes. Wow.

Unbelievable. He threatens to "straighten Chris out" and then says "What do you make, $25,000 a year?"

For the record, the caller was a complete idiot. He thought the Sox should "package" Mackowiak, Sisco and "maybe a minor league pitcher" for Carl Crawford. Rongey was laughing at him, and the caller got all defensive and went nuts.

sox1970
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
He could buy and sell him 10 times over.

Jjav829
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
More playing time the next 15 days- Anderson or Sweeney? I'll take Sweeney.

Better hitter right now - Anderson or Sweeney? I'll take Sweeney.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 09:56 PM

That was uncomfortable to listen to.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I couldn't sell Chris Rongey on Ebay for twenty bucks.

CLR01
04-28-2007, 10:01 PM

I doubt it.

Better hitter right now - Anderson or Sweeney? I'll take Sweeney.

But he's a career .229 hitter getting owned by Triple-A pitching. He sucks. :rolleyes:

Brian26
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Three of the last four callers to Rongey sound like they've been drinking pretty hard.

VenturaFan23
04-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Well I just got back from the game and only one word to describe it....BLECH!! Fireworks were the most exciting part of the game unfortunately. It seemed to me that the umpire's strike zone was all over the place. Oh and can someone get a clutch hit PLEASE!!!!!!

Jjav829
04-28-2007, 10:11 PM
But he's a career .229 hitter getting owned by Triple-A pitching. He sucks. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that doesn't say much for Anderson that Sweeney can still be better with those numbers. :smile:

southsideirish71
04-28-2007, 10:44 PM
It would be nice for once to see one of our hitters try and make contact with men in scoring position. You know on 2 strikes, choke up a bit and put the ball in play. Instead of taking huge cuts and striking out.

itsnotrequired
04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Bah...

sig update time

balke
04-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Where's Eduardo Perez?

tebman
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
It would be nice for once to see one of our hitters try and make contact with men in scoring position. You know on 2 strikes, choke up a bit and put the ball in play. Instead of taking huge cuts and striking out.
We just got back from the game too and I kept shouting the same thing -- put the ball in play!

I know Weaver's a good pitcher, but the White Sox are a team full of good hitters. They looked completely overmatched tonight. I'm just sorry all those Cub Scouts who were there tonight didn't see a more exciting team show up.

And on the way home we heard that series of wacko callers on WSCR. Wow. It's nights like this that Chris earns his money working the microphone. All across 38 states people got to hear that guy talking about how the Sox should package a trade and then how Chris should treat his callers. Lay off the schnapps, buddy! :kukoo:

As for the Sox, back to the batting cage!

INSox56
04-28-2007, 11:04 PM
We just got back from the game too and I kept shouting the same thing -- put the ball in play!

I know Weaver's a good pitcher, but the White Sox are a team full of good hitters. They looked completely overmatched tonight. I'm just sorry all those Cub Scouts who were there tonight didn't see a more exciting team show up.

Not this year he hasn't been that great. His last start he didn't get out of the second and gave up 5. Leave it to the Sox though...another case of "never seen him, time for him to look like a cy young candidate". God I hate it....Greg Walker where's the preparation, man?

balke
04-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I gotta disagree here, Weaver was just dominant. He's a great pitcher, its tough to pick up what he's throwing to you. The Sox hitters tried nibbling away, but ended up stranding too many runners. Weaver was too good for them to drive runs in on.

This one I just give to Weaver, I actually liked the Sox approach to him tonight.

I'm hoping to see Ozuna DH more, and Anderson to get as much time as Cintron. Give the kid 60 AB's, and if he can't do anything send him down.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
I couldn't sell Chris Rongey on Ebay for twenty bucks.

Maybe, but I wish I had his job.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I gotta disagree here, Weaver was just dominant. He's a great pitcher, its tough to pick up what he's throwing to you. The Sox hitters tried nibbling away, but ended up stranding too many runners. Weaver was too good for them to drive runs in on.
This one I just give to Weaver, I actually liked the Sox approach to him tonight.

The Sox did have something like eight hits and left 16 men on base. That had their chances and they either popped up, hit a lazy fly ball or struck out when they needed a clutch hit. I guess they couldn't get four solo homers tonight in order to win.

oeo
04-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Not this year he hasn't been that great. His last start he didn't get out of the second and gave up 5. Leave it to the Sox though...another case of "never seen him, time for him to look like a cy young candidate". God I hate it....Greg Walker where's the preparation, man?

Uhmm...he just came off an injury and had two starts before today. To say 'not this year he isn't' is just being ignorant to the fact that he hasn't even pitched. Jered Weaver is still a hell of a pitcher. Now, if you want to say this about us being beat by Chad Durbin, fine...but Jered Weaver is a good pitcher and he beat us today.

oeo
04-28-2007, 11:52 PM
I'll get flamed for this, but Jacque Jones is available and shouldn't cost much. As a DH/LF that is one idea, although a RH bat would be preferrable. There is always someone looking to dump a contract. I don't expect the Sox to go out and get an allstar, just get someone who is some kind of threat. For all we know Thome is going to be in and out of the lineup all year. He's too old to be counted on everyday, especially considering he spent almost all of '05 on the DL and battled injuries throughout the second half last year despite getting a lot of time off.

That's exactly what I don't want them to do right now. I think we have to overcome this with what we have. Jacque Jones will be a complete waste when Pods comes back. I think you're hitting the panic button a little too early.

JB98
04-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Tonight was a small-ballers delight: Eight singles and no runs. That ought to teach those who say we hit "too many home runs." We had some opportunities to score tonight, but nobody was able to drive the ball in RBI situations. Get 'em tomorrow and take the series. At least the weather is nice now.I'm a little surprised Sweeney got the call instead of Terrero. I still think we should have kept Eduardo Perez. Not sure how Ryan is going to be able to help us while JT is out.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 12:25 AM
If Dye, Konerko, AJ, & Crede hit as we know they can, Thome being gone for 15 days should not hurt this team.

Only problem is that all 4 of them will end up hitting below .250 when April is done.

As for LF, Pods should not be counted on for the remainder of the season. He is as brittle as brittle can be. And even if he does return, his timing issues will still be there because of the fear of injury.

It is now the time Ozzie needs to give either Sweeney or Anderson a true full run at LF or CF (with Erstad sliding over) to see what we have for the future in any of those two guys. Mack and Pablo are just not going to cut it as every-day OFs in this league. Those 2 should only be Thome's fill in at DH until he returns.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Tonight was a small-ballers delight: Eight singles and no runs. That ought to teach those who say we hit "too many home runs." We had some opportunities to score tonight, but nobody was able to drive the ball in RBI situations.

Maybe perhaps if our hitters would take a different approach with RISP and just look to make solid contact rather than swining out of their shoes .... the result tonight could have been different.

The amount of pop - ups with RISP tonight is end result of guys trying to hit the ball to the concourse rather than finding a gap somewhere.

JB98
04-29-2007, 12:35 AM
If Dye, Konerko, AJ, & Crede hit as we know they can, Thome being gone for 15 days should not hurt this team.

Only problem is that all 4 of them will end up hitting below .250 when April is done.

As for LF, Pods should not be counted on for the remainder of the season. He is as brittle as brittle can be. And even if he does return, his timing issues will still be there because of the fear of injury.

It is now the time Ozzie needs to give either Sweeney or Anderson a true full run at LF or CF (with Erstad sliding over) to see what we have for the future in any of those two guys. Mack and Pablo are just not going to cut it as every-day OFs in this league. Those 2 should only be Thome's fill in at DH until he returns.

Erstad is not going to slide over. He is playing an excellent CF. He's swinging the bat well right now. I'd leave him alone. I don't disagree with the thought of putting Mack/Pablo at DH now that Thome is out. Both of those two players are good hitters, but subpar fielders. Maybe we go Sweeney in LF with Mack at DH against righties, and BA in LF with Ozuna at DH against lefties.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 12:42 AM
That's exactly what I don't want them to do right now. I think we have to overcome this with what we have. Jacque Jones will be a complete waste when Pods comes back. I think you're hitting the panic button a little too early.

What guarantees do you have that Pods is coming back 100% healthy?

And keep in mind that a healthy Pods to us is the one that can steal bases and create havoc as a base runner.

If I'm the Sox, I am just about to turn the page on a guy who just can't keep his wheels healthy, and wheels being the only reason he is here.

Wait til mid June?

The season is NOW and so is the future. Sweeney or Anderson need to be given that every day shot as the 3rd OF on this team.

BanditJimmy
04-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Erstad is not going to slide over. He is playing an excellent CF. He's swinging the bat well right now. I'd leave him alone. I don't disagree with the thought of putting Mack/Pablo at DH now that Thome is out. Both of those two players are good hitters, but subpar fielders. Maybe we go Sweeney in LF with Mack at DH against righties, and BA in LF with Ozuna at DH against lefties.

Sounds like a good plan.

Although I still think Anderson in CF is slightly better than Erstad right now even as good as Erstad looks with the glove.

Saving Erstad's legs in LF rather than having him in CF all year could be a huge bounus if we have to fall back on Erstad the rest of the year to be the lead off man since Pods is still a huge question mark.

For Sweeney, definately Erstad stays in CF.

DanLB20
04-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Got back from the game awhile ago. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember which inning. Men on first and second.....2 outs....Paulie is on second base. Base hit. Konerko doesn't run right away?? He should have been running....2 outs...right? By waiting, no way he can make it home.
Bases loaded then next batter pops out.
Shutout.
Dan.

ChiSoxGirl
04-29-2007, 01:25 AM
My first losing TBGR of the season. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3353) :(: (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3353)

ilsox7
04-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Got back from the game awhile ago. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember which inning. Men on first and second.....2 outs....Paulie is on second base. Base hit. Konerko doesn't run right away?? He should have been running....2 outs...right? By waiting, no way he can make it home.
Bases loaded then next batter pops out.
Shutout.
Dan.

He would have been a dead duck no matter how good of a jump off of 2nd he got.

JB98
04-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Sounds like a good plan.

Although I still think Anderson in CF is slightly better than Erstad right now even as good as Erstad looks with the glove.

Saving Erstad's legs in LF rather than having him in CF all year could be a huge bounus if we have to fall back on Erstad the rest of the year to be the lead off man since Pods is still a huge question mark.

For Sweeney, definately Erstad stays in CF.

I think Ozzie is looking to play Erstad 150 games in CF. If he's healthy, he's a good player. We've already seen that. I also worry about saving Darin's legs, but I don't think a move to LF is forthcoming.Pods is definitely a big concern. In the Sweeney thread, I predicted the Sox would be shopping for an outfielder come July.

JB98
04-29-2007, 01:31 AM
He would have been a dead duck no matter how good of a jump off of 2nd he got.

Agreed. That throw from Guerrero was on line. Paulie would have been a gone goose.

aryzner
04-29-2007, 02:00 AM
I just got back from the game (had some drinks with friends afterwards).

Ugh it was horrible to watch. Awfully boring due to lack of Sox offense. Hoping for a better showing tomorrow. (Though I won't be there)

MarySwiss
04-29-2007, 02:07 AM
My first losing TBGR of the season. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3353) :(: (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3353)

Well, I have yet to write my first winning TBGR of the season; the Sox are 0-for-Sunday in 2007. I'm hoping they'll break out of it tomorrow.

jabrch
04-29-2007, 02:30 AM

Are you for real?

What do you want them to do? Overreact to this, and make a sudden move that will cost them in the long term so that they add a mediocre player today? No team will give up top tier offensive talent at this point in the season.

Shame on you - not the team.

Grzegorz
04-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Nothing against Sweeney, but this team needs some power right now.

The Chicago White Sox need timely hitting more than power. Give me a contact hitter with gap power instead of a slugger.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2007, 07:14 AM
The Chicago White Sox need timely hitting more than power. Give me a contact hitter with gap power instead of a slugger.

Is Carl Everett available?

wassagstdu
04-29-2007, 07:23 AM
...BLECH!! Fireworks were the most exciting part of the game unfortunately.

That was a terrific defensive display in the top of the ninth! Konerko is maybe the best defensive first baseman I have seen in a Sox uniform. He does for the infield the opposite of what Frank Thomas (and many others) did: makes them all a lot better. And Uribe is the best ss since Aparicio. That third out play was a double gem.

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Tonight was a small-ballers delight: Eight singles and no runs. That ought to teach those who say we hit "too many home runs."
The problem has never been that the Sox "hit too many home runs." That's silly and something only a baseball moron would say.

Rather, the problem has been and remains the Sox can't seem to score without hitting home runs. Last night was another perfect example of this.

I wish the Sox could string multiple hits together and also improve on going from first to third on a hit or scoring from second on a single or from first on a double, etc. Also improve on driving in runners from third base with less than two outs.

DickAllen72
04-29-2007, 11:55 AM
That was a terrific defensive display in the top of the ninth! Konerko is maybe the best defensive first baseman I have seen in a Sox uniform. He does for the infield the opposite of what Frank Thomas (and many others) did: makes them all a lot better. And Uribe is the best ss since Aparicio. That third out play was a double gem.
So true!

UserNameBlank
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
We do not have a solid offensive player in 2 of the biggest offensive positions in baseball - LF and DH.

Hopefully Thome is healthy all year after coming off the DL; hopefully Pods hits and runs like he did in 2005.

No matter what though, the Sox can not ignore the trends on both players since 2005. In this division the Sox can not afford to fall behind. There is a difference between "hitting th panic button" and filling a hole as soon as we need it filled.

A bat like Jones would make one of our OF's expendable in the event that Pods suddenly became that first half 2005 Pods again (which I wouldn't bet on). Maybe that leaves Mack or someone available for trade, but just try to rationalize playing Mack in LF over a 25-30 HR guy who is clutch like Jones, or imagine bringing Mack up to pinch hit with a bat like Jones on the bench.

balke
04-29-2007, 12:26 PM
2 weeks without great players could help this team out perhaps. Everyone has seemed pretty content to aim for the fences thus far. Maybe we can get some of those averages up and play small ball for a while.

I really don't want Jones. Let's see what Sweeney can do. Pods was hitting real well before his injury, and I think he'll be able to steal still when he comes back.

UserNameBlank
04-29-2007, 12:31 PM
2 weeks without great players could help this team out perhaps. Everyone has seemed pretty content to aim for the fences thus far. Maybe we can get some of those averages up and play small ball for a while.

I really don't want Jones. Let's see what Sweeney can do. Pods was hitting real well before his injury, and I think he'll be able to steal still when he comes back.
I don't think anyone has been trying to aim for the fences; I think these guys are trying to make solid contact and hit the ball hard. When they pop up on meatballs, what do you want them to do? Try to slap some high change over the middle of the plate the other way?

slobes
04-29-2007, 01:39 PM
That was the first game I've been at this year, and it was just miserable. We NEED to find our offense.

Jurr
04-29-2007, 01:44 PM
That was the first game I've been at this year, and it was just miserable. We NEED to find our offense.
Even an offense as good as the Yankees will be shut down if a pitcher's dealing. Sometimes you have to tip your hat.