PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 4-29

Lip Man 1
04-28-2007, 11:47 AM
April 29, 1901 - Sox shortstop Frank Shugart hits the first home run in White Sox history. It comes in a 3 - 2 loss to Detroit.

April 29, 1985 - A new yearly tradition is established in the first annual "Crosstown Classic" charity game matching the Sox and Cubs. Down through the years both teams played each other on and off in spring training or during an open date in the regular season. This is the first time both teams agree to play on a yearly basis with a corporate sponsor (Busch Beer). The game alternates between Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field and is played every year through 1995 (Because of the labor impasse the teams played two games that season.) The Sox win the opener at Comiskey Park 7 - 4 but itís only the start of a remarkable run. The two teams play a total of 12 games and the Sox never lose!!!!! They go 10 - 0 - 2 during that time period. After 1995, the series is dropped. Itís never publicly explained why, but reports persisted that the cancellation of the series was at the Cubs request.

Lip

TommyJohn
04-28-2007, 12:06 PM
April 29, 1985 - A new yearly tradition is established in the first annual "Crosstown Classic" charity game matching the Sox and Cubs. Down through the years both teams played each other on and off in spring training or during an open date in the regular season. This is the first time both teams agree to play on a yearly basis with a corporate sponsor (Busch Beer). The game alternates between Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field and is played every year through 1995 (Because of the labor impasse the teams played two games that season.) The Sox win the opener at Comiskey Park 7 - 4 but itís only the start of a remarkable run. The two teams play a total of 12 games and the Sox never lose!!!!! They go 10 - 0 - 2 during that time period. After 1995, the series is dropped. Itís never publicly explained why, but reports persisted that the cancellation of the series was at the Cubs request.

Lip

I was at that first game in 1985, and it was mostly minor leaguers by the
middle of the game. I remember a minor league pitcher striking out Gary
Matthews (on a very high pitch) with the bases loaded to end it.

I was actually under the impression that the "series" was ended because
interleague play was close to becoming a reality and exhibition games like
these would no longer be needed to bring the Sox and Cubs together for a
game.

PaulDrake
04-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Is there a record somewhere of all Sox/Cubs exhibition contests played between 1901 and 1995?

Lip Man 1
04-28-2007, 05:01 PM
TJ:

I have that game on tape and I think Dan Spillner closed it out. I'll check it.

Lip

TommyJohn
04-29-2007, 12:25 AM
TJ:

I have that game on tape and I think Dan Spillner closed it out. I'll check it.

Lip

Actually I want to say his last name was Kennedy.