PDA

View Full Version : I guess Luis Gonzalez is for real?

MattSharp
03-26-2002, 01:37 AM
I just read he hit his 8th HR this spring leading the majors? Go figure, I thought last year was a fluke. Guess hes proving me wrong....

RichH55
03-26-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I just read he hit his 8th HR this spring leading the majors? Go figure, I thought last year was a fluke. Guess hes proving me wrong....

Alot of players are learning to play the game later it seems...Luis and Finley down there...and on the home front Jose's last two years really look like someone who put it all together around age 30....I just hope he keeps it up

RKMeibalane
03-26-2002, 12:50 PM
There are a number of reasons why players are getting better as they get older. Players are bigger and stronger today than they once were, and more players seem to be using video equipment to study pitchers- this "science of hitting" approach was first used by Tony Gwynn, and we all know how well that worked out. Also, players are taking better care of themselves, thanks in part to the recent advancements in medicine. Arm surgery used to signal the end of a pitcher's career, or at least the end of his prime, but more and more pitchers are coming back strong after surgery.

Bmr31
03-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

last year was a fluke, hes facing class A pitchers....

FarWestChicago
03-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Also, players are taking better care of themselves, thanks in part to the recent advancements in medicine.:shammy

I know nothing about "recent advancements in medicine"!

:fluffy

Sammy, he wasn't talking about you. He was talking about legal medical technology.

czalgosz
03-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
There are a number of reasons why players are getting better as they get older. Players are bigger and stronger today than they once were, and more players seem to be using video equipment to study pitchers- this "science of hitting" approach was first used by Tony Gwynn, and we all know how well that worked out. Also, players are taking better care of themselves, thanks in part to the recent advancements in medicine. Arm surgery used to signal the end of a pitcher's career, or at least the end of his prime, but more and more pitchers are coming back strong after surgery.

If they just enforced the rule about batters having to attempt to get out of the way of inside pitches, there would be a dramatic decrease in home runs. For some reason, umpires aren't afraid to make judgment calls on whether pitchers are "headhunting", but they are afraid to make judgment calls on whether batters can get out of the way. It's ridiculous. Until they give back the inside corner to the pitchers, 60-homer seasons will be common.

pearso66
03-26-2002, 02:04 PM
i agree, i cant wait to see when a pitcher can dominate again like they used to. sure you have randy johnson dominating, and others like him, but i rmember, just a couple of years ago, when a pitcher would drill 2 pitches inside, and force the guy to back off the plate, then hit him on the outside corner. now if you throw inside, you get tossed out of the game cuz you meant to hit someone. the pitchers are allowed the plate, and they should be allowed some leeway when it is out of the strikezone on the inside of the plate. then we can get back to our quick games that the league wants so badly. and you'll see more scores of 1-0, or 2-1. i love a good pitchers duel

cheeses_h_rice
03-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:shammy

I know nothing about "recent advancements in medicine"!

:fluffy

Sammy, he wasn't talking about you. He was talking about legal medical technology.

:shammy

What do you mean? All I take are these pills my doctor says are Flintstones Chewable Vitamins. They seem to be working, as I am getting very strong and big.

Of course, my 'nads are the size of Raisinets, but that's another matter entirely.