PDA

View Full Version : I just hope it's not the Indians...

Berkules
04-28-2007, 01:39 AM
...that do us in this year. If you told me three years ago that the AL Central would be the best division in baseball in just a few seasons, though I would've loved to believe you, I probably would've shrugged it off like if you predicted the Florida Gators were gonna win the BCS Championship...wait...anyway

Truth is, I was undeniably pissed off last year about winning 90 games and not making the playoffs, especially with a certain event that occurred the year before, and now I find myself completely mystified that the team who almost took the cake for the worst season record is now widely considered our primary enemy and probably favored to finish ahead of the blessED Sox.. (Lord we could've dismantled that "remarkable pitching staff" in the playoffs had the go***mn Twins not made such a hearty run at the end of the season) But really, we own the Tigers. No way around it. We also devour little Hostess snacks with relative ease. I just don't feel as worried when there are cream-filled snackycakes at the plate as when a damn Injun comes to bat...

Despite our [tied for the AL's worst] team batting average and [AL's second fewest] number of runs scored, I'm pretty content. The Kittens, Twinkies, and that team that had that guy who had that stuff on his bat in that one world series (sarcasm) don't scare me one little bit.

It's Tom Sizemore's stupid little brother and those damn Indians that scare me...not just because of the record...but just because every single time they come to bat, I just don't know what's gonna happen.

Does ANYone else feel me?

DrewSox56
04-28-2007, 01:42 AM
...that do us in this year. If you told me three years ago that the AL Central would be the best division in baseball in just a few seasons, though I would've loved to believe you, I probably would've shrugged it off like if you predicted the Florida Gators were gonna win the BCS Championship...wait...anyway

Truth is, I was undeniably pissed off last year about winning 90 games and not making the playoffs, especially with a certain event that occurred the year before, and now I find myself completely mystified that the team who almost took the cake for the worst season record is now widely considered our primary enemy and probably favored to finish ahead of the blessED Sox.. (Lord we could've dismantled that "remarkable pitching staff" in the playoffs had the go***mn Twins not made such a hearty run at the end of the season) But really, we own the Tigers. No way around it. We also devour little Hostess snacks with relative ease. I just don't feel as worried when there are cream-filled snackycakes at the plate as when a damn Injun comes to bat...

Despite our [tied for the AL's worst] team batting average and [AL's second fewest] number of runs scored, I'm pretty content. The Kittens, Twinkies, and that team that had that guy who had that stuff on his bat in that one world series (sarcasm) don't scare me one little bit.

It's Tom Sizemore's stupid little brother and those damn Indians that scare me...not just because of the record...but just because every single time they come to bat, I just don't know what's gonna happen.

Does ANYone else feel me?

It is what it is. They can mash.

We can do it too, and pitch better.

That's why we play 162.

JermaineDye05
04-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Their BP will be the downfall of them IMO. Their rotation should continue to be solid but their bullpen will have difficulty holding leads.

Berkules
04-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Their BP will be the downfall of them IMO. Their rotation should continue to be solid but their bullpen will have difficulty holding leads.

I love this optimism. It was just such a disappointing opening series.

DrewSox56
04-28-2007, 01:56 AM

:?: Yeah... a near month ago.... Do you need a hug or something? I gotcha, siss...er.. uh.. buddy.

IlliniSox4Life
04-28-2007, 02:05 AM

You're still down from the opening series? It's been a while...

Contreras had his worst game of the year on OD. That is why we lost. Garland had a pretty crappy game the second day too. Probably one of the worst that he'll have all season. Our Bullpen failed us too, and it will probably be one of the handful of times it does all season. And it was still a close game.

The fact is, we have one of the better starting staffs in all of baseball. We also have one of the best bullpens. We have a pretty solid defensive team, and a lineup which should be one of the top run producing teams. Yeah, certain players will struggle here and there, and we'll go through our rough patches, but this team should be pretty good. I don't think there's any team in baseball that I would swap all our players with.

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2007, 02:06 AM
And if all that wasn't enough, today is APRIL 28.

Berkules
04-28-2007, 02:14 AM
with the sissy comments...
All I meant about the opening series thing is that it showed me what the worst can look like, and you can't deny that the Sox can look pretty bad for stretches from time to time...I understand, that's baseball.

So far we've bounced back from some bad losses...I just don't know if the Sox can keep winning while hitting this poorly or if they will turn it around.

I guess I should have stated it clearer..are the Indians the numero uno nemesis, are the Twins or Tigers, or should we face them all with the same gusto..including those guys from KC? Does any one team scare you more than the other?

IlliniSox4Life
04-28-2007, 02:22 AM
with the sissy comments...
All I meant about the opening series thing is that it showed me what the worst can look like,
That isn't even close to what the worst can look like.
and you can't deny that the Sox can look pretty bad for stretches from time to time...I understand, that's baseball.Yeah, they can. Every team looks bad from time to times.

So far we've bounced back from some bad losses...I just don't know if the Sox can keep winning while hitting this poorly or if they will turn it around.We've scored 5+ runs in 8 of our last 9 games. They are turning it around.

I guess I should have stated it clearer..are the Indians the numero uno nemesis, are the Twins or Tigers, or should we face them all with the same gusto..including those guys from KC? Does any one team scare you more than the other?We're you even asking a question in the original post other than "does anyone else agree that I hope the Indians don't do us in?"

I hope nobody is our nemesis. I hope nobody "does us in". We should face everyone with the same gusto. Our guys should be putting 100% on the field every day. If not they shouldn't be on the team.

Your original post implies that it is somehow better if the Twins/Tigers "do us in" than if the Indians do. It's unacceptable if we lose because of anyone.

Berkules
04-28-2007, 02:33 AM
It's unacceptable if we lose because of anyone.
Yes I agree. I guess the point I was trying to stress is that last year, with the addition of Thome, I was a firm believer that we were a lock for the playoffs and a leading contender for the series. NOW, our division has gotten even more difficult, and while I feel this is a better Sox team than in 05, but I could see this team finishing third because of losing one run games and losing in the late innings. I'm just curious if anyone shares my sentiments.

The Championship in 05 was such a tease. I want the Sox to win three more before the end of the decade. I want them to dominate for the better half of the 00s. The oughts...or something...however you spell it.

Thanks for this late night jibber jabber

IlliniSox4Life
04-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Yes I agree. I guess the point I was trying to stress is that last year, with the addition of Thome, I was a firm believer that we were a lock for the playoffs and a leading contender for the series. NOW, our division has gotten even more difficult, and while I feel this is a better Sox team than in 05, but I could see this team finishing third because of losing one run games and losing in the late innings. I'm just curious if anyone shares my sentiments.
Yes, plenty of people share your cautious sentiments in regards to this year after last year.

As long as our pitching continues to show what they have so far, we will be fine. Our problem wasn't struggling to score runs last year and it won't be this year. The offense isn't what wins lots of one run games, the pitching is. Outside of a few spots which will happen here and there, our pitching has looked very good this year. Much better than last year. As long as that trend continues we will get our share of wins.

Berkules
04-28-2007, 03:07 AM
As long as that trend continues we will get our share of wins.

103 I hope

itsnotrequired
04-28-2007, 08:15 AM
103 I hope

It won't require 103 wins to take the division this year.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Any of the four top teams in this division could win the AL Central or even the AL East if you put them there. You take any one of these teams and put it in the NL West, NL Central, NL East, or AL West and they win the division hands down IMO. If baseball went back to the old format without the wilcard and with a balanced schedule, I guarantee that all four of these teams finish in the top 5 or 6 in the league.

Everyone is tough in this division; even KC is a pain in the ass and getting better. Sizemore, Hafner, Polanco, Guillen, Teahen, Sweeney, Hunter, Mauer, and Morneau are just a few of the Sox killers who are lurking around every corner.

In short, everyone is scary right now and IMO within 2 years we'll be saying the same thing about KC. And with all the young talent in this division, it is going to stay tough and for a long time.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 08:32 AM
It won't require 103 wins to take the division this year.
Right now I'm thinking about 93 will do the trick.