PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland announcers.

JermaineDye05
04-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Just saw the Sizemore highlight with the inside the park homerun. Damn, and I thought Hawk was a homer, if I was an opposing team fan watching an Indian game I would probably want to destroy the TV listening to these two.

chisoxmike
04-28-2007, 12:06 AM
The dumbest argument to hate Hawk is that he is a "homer." All local teams announcers are "homers."

"Ballgame!" :rolleyes:

BanditJimmy
04-28-2007, 12:11 AM
agree 100% on that.

people expect him to be impartial as if it was a National Broadcast.

JermaineDye05
04-28-2007, 12:14 AM
The dumbest argument to hate Hawk is that he is a "homer." All local teams announcers are "homers."

Yeah I love Hawk being a Sox fan, it's what makes for a better game. Although Clevelands announcers just are annoying as hell to me. Hawk also at least gives other teams and players respect and will be able to point out when our team screwed up. I'm not sure about the Cleveland announcers on this one.

itsnotrequired
04-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Radio guy acts like every home run is a walkoff in Game 7 of the WS. Meanwhile, Farmer sleeps the night away.

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2007, 12:51 AM

Yeah that guy's a real tool, and just think, we get to enjoy that "BALLGAME!" bull**** TWICE on the Sox Pride DVD. :puking:

Jerry_Manuel
04-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah that guy's a real tool, and just think, we get to enjoy that "BALLGAME!" bull**** TWICE on the Sox Pride DVD. :puking:

I recall that, and something like "The Indians may not even need a plane to get to Chicago tonight".

Brutal.

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I recall that, and something like "The Indians may not even need a plane to get to Chicago tonight".

Brutal.

But then we get the last laugh having Grady Sizemore losing the ball in the sun in KC preserved for all posterity. :D:

DrewSox56
04-28-2007, 01:31 AM

Thank you! Heard that same crap today on BBTM on XM and it pissed me off. They're all homers. And Farmer/Singleton are no where near as bad as most. They are homers, but no worse than the next.

StillMissOzzie
04-28-2007, 02:17 AM

Brutal.

Meh. Anyone remember how that season turned out? :D:

SMO
:bandance:

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Meh. Anyone remember how that season turned out? :D:

SMO
:bandance:

Yes, but that doesn't make that announcer any less a tool.

TornLabrum
04-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Thank you! Heard that same crap today on BBTM on XM and it pissed me off. They're all homers. And Farmer/Singleton are no where near as bad as most. They are homers, but no worse than the next.

Believe me, the problem with Farmer and Singleton isn't that they're homers. They are just plain brutal. It's really kind of sad, too.

I've seen Farmer emcee seminars at SoxFest and he's fine. He was fine (except for that damned monotone) doing color. But no way is he a lead announcer.

As for Singleton, last year at a WCSF luncheon he did a terrific interview with Ozzie Guillen. They just sat up on the stage and talked baseball for about 45 minutes. But put him with farmer and I want to stick a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger.

As I told a friend last night, those two are unlistenable.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 01:03 PM

And why would you not want your team's announcers to be homers? The Sox had Gary Thorne as their tv announcer for one season, and he was a generic, bland commentator that gave you no reason to want to support the team (albeit the 1989 Sox were terrible on their own).

Brian26
04-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Believe me, the problem with Farmer and Singleton isn't that they're homers. They are just plain brutal. It's really kind of sad, too.

I've seen Farmer emcee seminars at SoxFest and he's fine. He was fine (except for that damned monotone) doing color. But no way is he a lead announcer.

As for Singleton, last year at a WCSF luncheon he did a terrific interview with Ozzie Guillen. They just sat up on the stage and talked baseball for about 45 minutes. But put him with farmer and I want to stick a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger.

As I told a friend last night, those two are unlistenable.

It's atrocious. I had to turn the radio off in the car last weekend. I actually turned the game off and didn't listen because they are so god-awful bad. It's not Farmer's fault in my opinion. He was fine with Rooney, and he's fine on his own. Singleton doesn't belong in a major league booth right now.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 01:07 PM
But then we get the last laugh having Grady Sizemore losing the ball in the sun in KC preserved for all posterity. :D:

What's more incredible is that our Group-4/reserve squad swept the Indians to end their season when they were fighting for their playoff lives.

MarySwiss
04-28-2007, 01:08 PM
The Sox had Gary Thorne as their tv announcer for one season, and he was a generic, bland commentator that gave you no reason to want to support the team (albeit the 1989 Sox were terrible on their own).

Seriously. Whenever I hear someone talk about how good Gary Thorne is, I want to hurl.

DrewSox56
04-28-2007, 01:10 PM
It's not Farmer's fault in my opinion. He was fine with Rooney, and he's fine on his own. Singleton doesn't belong in a major league booth right now.

I agree! I kind of dig Farmer's dry, sarcastic style. I could do less with the discussions of golf and Chris' driving skills, but when he's annoyed with an opposing pitcher and rails about him doing the hokey pokey before he throws a pitch, I laugh every time.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Seriously. Whenever I hear someone talk about how good Gary Thorne is, I want to hurl.

Hockey fans seem to think he's pretty good. I can't really comment on that. When he was with the Sox, he was awful for baseball. He's completely generic/non-abrasive, which is fine for a national baseball broadcast, but does nothing to promote the tradition or passion of an individual franchise.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I agree! I kind of dig Farmer's dry, sarcastic style. I could do less with the discussions of golf and Chris' driving skills, but when he's annoyed with an opposing pitcher and rails about him doing the hokey pokey before he throws a pitch, I laugh every time.

Right. That's funny stuff, similar to when he's making fun of Buck Schowalter wearing a jacket when it's 100 degrees out, or asking Mike Jackson if he put the diamond earring in for a hot date after the game.

Sportscaster17
04-29-2007, 12:51 AM
As someone who listens to at least 1500 innings of Indians games on either radio or television, I can assure you, no one is tougher on the players than our broadcasters. When they make mistakes, the announcers call them out on it. They have credibility. With your guys, its like the Sox players never do anything wrong. That's why it was a shame to see Rooney leave.

Brian26
04-29-2007, 09:35 AM
As someone who listens to at least 1500 innings of Indians games on either radio or television, I can assure you, no one is tougher on the players than our broadcasters. When they make mistakes, the announcers call them out on it. They have credibility. With your guys, its like the Sox players never do anything wrong. That's why it was a shame to see Rooney leave.

1500/9 =166 games. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean Spring Training too.

Have you listened to 162 games of the Sox announcers to make your claim? They are plenty critical when appropriate.

itsnotrequired
04-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I thought duder was going to have a heart attack when Sizemore hit an inside-the-park HR on Friday. In case some of you haven't heard this guy, check it out:

http://dds.mlb.com/2007/rewind/042707_rr.mp3

It is the first game.

chisoxmike
04-30-2007, 09:52 AM
And why would you not want your team's announcers to be homers? The Sox had Gary Thorne as their tv announcer for one season, and he was a generic, bland commentator that gave you no reason to want to support the team (albeit the 1989 Sox were terrible on their own).

Exactly. I love the fact the Hawk bleeds White Sox baseball. When Hawk is hurting, I'm hurting.

woodsdavid
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Radio guy acts like every home run is a walkoff in Game 7 of the WS. Meanwhile, Farmer sleeps the night away.

Man, I miss Rooney.

johnr1note
04-30-2007, 05:51 PM
I listen to the White Sox on XM when the team is on the road because I can't stand Farmer and Singleton. The Indians radio team of Tom Hamilton and Mike Hegan are actually better than most. Hamilton calls a good game, and while his "homer" tendencies and arrogance in favor of the Tribe gets annoying to Sox fans, its really no different when Hamilton yells "Ballgame!" as when Hawk quips with "He gone" or "Put it on the board, yes!" If you actually listen to an entire game, you will find that the Tribe's radio guys have tremendous respect for the White Sox players and for Ozzie. We're just rivals, and they get caught up in the excitement of all that. If you can't stand the home town guys gushing over Grady Sizemore, well, don't listen. If Grady Sizemore was on the team I was an announcer for, I would be gushing too.

Farmer was OK when he had someone in the booth who controlled the conversation and the flow of how the game was called. Rooney did that, and it limited Ed to talking only when he was supposed to. Farmer was actually interesting and entertaining as a color guy. But as a play by play announcer, he is the PITS. The man never stops droning on and on and on about nothing -- you're lucky if you get information relevant to the game. Singleton is just not an announcer at all.

Believe me, I would flip our radio guys for Cleveland's in a heartbeat.