PDA

View Full Version : 3B very thin in the AL

MattSharp
03-26-2002, 01:35 AM
Anyone else notice how thin the 3B position is in the AL?

ESPN did their rankings

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2002/3brankings.html

Corey Koskie is third. Two years ago I doubt he would have cracked the list. Blalock from Texas is 8th. I bet you will see his name, along with Crede and Drew Henson in the next few years. NL 3B is deeper IMO. I don't know I was bored so I posted this....

RichH55
03-26-2002, 01:58 AM
I pointed this out in the offseason in one of the many Royce/Jose debates...Jose would rank either after Koskie or maybe 2 slots behind...and many of the best 3B of last year will be playing elsewhere this year as well(Chipper Jones and probably Pujols from time to time, and Ive forgotten other names)....there is a lot of young talent waiting to break ouyt at 3B, but it isn't here yet, so Jose will probably be a plus bat at 3B as well as SS

RichH55
03-26-2002, 02:01 AM
Looking at that list...ranking Jose behind Cirrilo and Ventura seems very poor to me...Cirrilo didnt put up the same numbers that Jose did playing in Colorado, doubtful those numbers go up playing is Safeco.........Ventura is still a great fielder, but he's a stopgap at best this year whose best years are behind him....this "yankee mytstique" shouldnt count for that much

Iguana775
03-26-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp

ESPN did their rankings

Corey Koskie is third. Two years ago I doubt he would have cracked the list. Blalock from Texas is 8th. I bet you will see his name, along with Crede and Drew Henson in the next few years. NL 3B is deeper IMO. I don't know I was bored so I posted this....

:jerry

"What?? You think Joe will actually play in the Big Show for us??"

kermittheefrog
03-26-2002, 08:32 AM
It's a temporary situation, there is a ton of 3B talent in the minors. This year should be the first year of the "new guard" so to speak. Blalock and Hinske already have jobs. Crede is an injury away from one, Mark Texeira and Drew Henson are waiting in the wings. Third base is going to be a hot position in two or three years with all this talent thrown in with the top tier of Glaus, Chavez and Koskie.

Randar68
03-26-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp

ESPN did their rankings

I honestly think the Padres have a better collection of 3B-men, between the big club and their minors, than all of the AL Major League rosters combined...

Scary...

Chisoxfn
03-26-2002, 10:12 AM
That is so very true. They have Nevin, Burroughs, and Xavier Nady who was originaly a 3rd baseman which they moved to 2nd.

I'd love picking up Nevin if the the Pads are going to be dealing him to give room for Sean.

nut_stock
03-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Don't forget that Robin Ventura may not be ready for opening day, he messed up his ankle the other day running to first. It'd only be a week delay at the most however.

foulkesfan11
03-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Those rankings mean nothing to me. We'll see who ranks what once the season starts.

kermittheefrog
03-26-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I honestly think the Padres have a better collection of 3B-men, between the big club and their minors, than all of the AL Major League rosters combined...

Scary...

Oh come on Randar. Due to his defensive abilities Nevin would probably be only the third best AL third baseman after Glaus and Chavez. Burroughs is great but realistically as a rookie he's very doubtful to outhit Corey Koskie and Hank Blalock is an even better prospect than Burroughs. Nady and Gautreau still aren't that close to the majors. That was some was pretty big exaggerating Randar...

czalgosz
03-26-2002, 05:36 PM
Glaus and Koskie are very good, there is indeed a big dropoff after that.

As to Blalock, Crede, and Henson, we'll see how things shape up. One or more of those might not come through, or end up getting hurt, or get moved to another position, like Chipper Jones is and Albert Pujols will be. I don't like to count chickens before they're hatched.