PDA

View Full Version : LaRussa Slams Post-Dispatch Article Making Fun of Cubs

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2007, 11:59 PM
In today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch, sportswriter Derrick Goold authored this (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/3D9C787870A16102862572CA000E5C22?OpenDocument) about the Cubs. Apparently, Tony LaRussa did not take kindly to the article. LaRussa felt the article took cheap shots at the Cubs, and he did not appreciate that. TLR had it out with Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz, and the audio of their exchange was played on KTRS-AM (550) during the Cardinal postgame show.

LaRussa said, as a result of the article, that he would not talk to writers from the Post-Dispatch henceforth.

HotelWhiteSox
04-28-2007, 12:09 AM
What does TLR care?

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Is LaRussa a Cub apologist or something? Cub fans not only believe in curses, they depend on them. Nothing in that article was contrived or worded in a way to make the Cubs look worse than they actually are.

If Tony can't handle a little article like this he should thank his lucky stars Jay Mariotti doesn't write half his columns about the Cardinals.

Viva Medias B's
04-28-2007, 12:14 AM
What does TLR care?

That's a good question. I think TLR and Lou are friends which may explain that. Meanwhile, Mike Shannon and John Rooney are slamming the Post-Dispatch for the article right now. Shannon is doing his postgame show from his restaurant (http://www.shannonsteak.com/), and you can hear it now here (http://www.ktrs.com/programming/listen_live_online.html).

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2007, 12:28 AM
And of course this column is just the thing to get the Cubs fired up for the series. They took the opener 5-3, so it should be interesting to see how the rest of the series plays out.

Viva Medias B's
04-28-2007, 12:46 AM
This whole thing is silly. On a couple of Cardinal baseball forums, many Redbird fans think TLR is overreacting. Look at it this way. For all the vitriolic nonsense Jay Mariotti has written about our team and especially our current manager over the years, has that manager or anyone else White Sox ever said they won't talk to the Sun-Times because of it?

Domeshot17
04-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Apparently a news paper (I think the Dispatch) took a cheap shot, saying the Cubs are already done. Larussa was pissed over it (and it sounded like they may have misqouted him), so he would not answer questions from the Dispatch. He asked all the reporters who asked him questions what paper they wrote for, if they were from the dispatch he passed them over, eventually getting in a shouting match with a dispatch writer.

Can't find a link just saw the story on ESPN NEWS

Domeshot17
04-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Sorry, I missed this in whats the score, feel free to close or merge

TDog
04-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Look at how close the Cubs and Cards are in the standings. If the Cubs are done, could the Cards be far behind?

The fact is, it's still April. Nobody's done.

BainesHOF
04-28-2007, 01:24 AM
LaRussa has always been humorless. It's too bad because there should always be an element of fun in sports. They're not life and death.

DSpivack
04-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Look at how close the Cubs and Cards are in the standings. If the Cubs are done, could the Cards be far behind?

Well, almost nobody.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TDPO/73104%7EWashington-Nationals-Posters.jpg

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 01:40 AM
I just saw him go nuts on ESPN. To me, he just made himself look like an idiot.

Lighten up, Tony.

Have another drink.

HotelWhiteSox
04-28-2007, 01:46 AM
LaRussa comes off as an idiot here. You shouldn't react this way, even if the piece was about your team. And if it is the article Viva linked to, then they were being pretty nice.

HomeFish
04-28-2007, 02:23 AM
St. Louis in general is a very fun-free town.

In 2004, I went to two Cards games at Busch Stadium. The first night, an umpire blew a call (pretty blatantly) against the Cardinals. The next night, when the umpires got introduced, I booed that particular umpire.

The entire section I was sitting in just GLARED at me with pure hatred. As if I had committed a terrible sin. I swear I saw one woman cover her childrens ears.

ewokpelts
04-28-2007, 07:41 AM
St. Louis in general is a very fun-free town.

In 2004, I went to two Cards games at Busch Stadium. The first night, an umpire blew a call (pretty blatantly) against the Cardinals. The next night, when the umpires got introduced, I booed that particular umpire.

The entire section I was sitting in just GLARED at me with pure hatred. As if I had committed a terrible sin. I swear I saw one woman cover her childrens ears.the downside of 10 championships

Viva Medias B's
04-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I just saw the exchange on SportsCenter. :o:

EMachine10
04-28-2007, 11:25 AM
I just think he's a classy guy with a lot of respect for his team, as well as others. (I don't need people reminding me about the DUI. Mistakes happen.)

SBSoxFan
04-29-2007, 06:44 AM
I just think he's a classy guy with a lot of respect for his team, as well as others. (I don't need people reminding me about the DUI. Mistakes happen.)

I think this is a convenient cover-up for being angry about providing bulletin board material.

On another note. Is Duncan the worst LF'er ever?

AZChiSoxFan
05-01-2007, 03:23 PM

:rolleyes:

When thinking of words to describe LaRussa, "Classy" is probably the last one I would come up with.

As far as the DUI, yes mistakes happen. Mistakes are things like spilling milk, forgetting to mail in your mortgage payment on time, etc. Engaging in an activity that needlessly kills thousands of people a year is not just a "mistake."

LaRussa is, in my mind, an arrogant punk who likes to bully people. Hence the reason he and Booby (not a typo) Knight are such good friends.

Here's what cracks me up about this whole incident: He feels free to lambast the guy in the press conference (who didn't even write the article) because he feels the Cubs were disrespected. Yet, it didn't even register with him that Pujols provided legitimate bulletin board material for the Cubs with his comments about Marquis. What a tool.

The Immigrant
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
On another note. Is Duncan the worst LF'er ever?

It's a close call between him and Adam Dunn, both of whom have more of an NFL physique.

dcb56
05-02-2007, 04:00 AM

:rolleyes:
Please, TLR is a complete jag. What would be more interesting if someone was taping him while a reporter asked in-depth questions regarding the steroid use of many of the players he's managed during his career. This guy's seen enough to no doubt fill a book, yet if asked I'm sure he'd either deny, deny, deny or get angry and throw a fit like he did when asked about the Cubs.

TLR= punk
Cardinals players= whiney bitches
Cardinals fans= hokey, yet pretentious tightasses

**** TLR and **** the Cardinals. I'll never root for the Cubs, but I can't help but feel tempted whenever they face the Red Birds.

PennStater98r
05-02-2007, 01:27 PM

Who are you kidding? The Cubs have been done since October of 1908. I would agree with you concerning any other team - K.C. and Washington included - but the Cubs?!

They're overdone.

Fenway
05-05-2007, 04:35 PM
since that idiot wrote the column the Cubs have gone 7 of 8

Come on Milwaukee don't let them catch ya

tick53
05-06-2007, 09:50 AM
And to think at one time I liked Tony Larussa.:redface:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
And to think at one time I liked Tony Larussa.:redface:

Me, too.

:redface: :redface:

I consider this entire episode "Exhibit A" for how tightly wound TLR truly is, and why his teams have been such abject failures in the post-season. They emulate their manager, too high-strung to deal with the stress of playoff baseball.

Unless Jim Leyland is smoking a cigarette in the runway of the opponent's dugout, of course.
:cool: