PDA

View Full Version : Worst case scenario.

JermaineDye05
04-27-2007, 09:17 PM
If Thome has to go to the DL who gets called up?

Terrerro? Fields? Sweeney? Owens? Someone else?

CLR01
04-27-2007, 09:39 PM
If Thome has to go to the DL who gets called up?

Terrerro? Fields? Sweeney? Owens? Someone else?

Cal Everett as usual. Or maybe Anderson can be called up?

DickAllen72
04-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I'd probably rather it be Everett than Sweeney, Terrero, or Owens.

slowlearner
04-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I couldn't watch or listen to the game. What happened to Thome? I saw he was pulled in the first, but nothing beyond that.

Ziggy S
04-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Cal Everett as usual.

:everett:

I said all along you guys needed me and never should have released me last year.

:dye:

Hey dumbass, I returned to the lineup and we scored seven runs; two of which came after I went yard. Also, who won MVP of the World Series, last time I checked?

:everett:

You don't say nothin'. Your vocal leadership skills are just as visible as the proof of the dinosaurs' existence in ancient times.

:dye:

That's because I let my play do the talking for me, ignoramus. Also, if the team wins the division, I'll probably be named MVP for the AL of 2007, which is the ultimate leadership award.

DickAllen72
04-27-2007, 10:39 PM
That's really funny.

Seriously, I wonder if a guy like Raul Ibanez is available. Aaron Rowand would look good in a White Sox uniform about now.

JermaineDye05
04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
That's really funny.

Seriously, I wonder if a guy like Raul Ibanez is available. Aaron Rowand would look good in a White Sox uniform about now.

right about now? Aaron has always looked good in the black and white pinstripes. :D:

DickAllen72
04-27-2007, 10:43 PM
right about now? Aaron has always looked good in the black and white pinstripes. :D:
Agreed. :cool:

delben91
04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Are there any threads on here not involving Aaron Rowand and/or Brian Anderson? :?:

DickAllen72
04-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Are there any threads on here not involving Aaron Rowand and/or Brian Anderson? :?:
No.

EMachine10
04-27-2007, 10:58 PM

i wish.

jabrch
04-27-2007, 10:59 PM
What about Rogowski?

UserNameBlank
04-27-2007, 11:00 PM
The Sox are going to be without Pods until late May or beyond, and when he comes back the Sox can't exactly count on him being 100% since he's spent a lot of time on the DL since he got here. Thome wore down a bit last year and has already been kept out a couple games to a nagging injury that resurfaced again tonight. Plus how long can Erstad keep hitting everything hard? Add that in with Crede's late season recurring back troubles, and it seems pretty clear that KW needs to get a bat.

Preferrably I'd like to see an OF with some power who can DH at times to give Thome a rest.

My guesses on short term solutions that will probably be available for pretty cheap:

Geoff Jenkins
Kevin Mench, Emil Brown, Reggie Sanders, Jacque Jones, Luis Gonzalez,
Raul Ibanez, and Pat Burrell. I would imagine KW could get either Burrell or Jenkins for next to nothing just by taking on the contract, but I don't know if KW would play that game.

More expensive solutions could be one of the guys from TB, Scott Hairston, or Reed Johnson if the Jays are willing to deal him over Rios for pitching. Griffey is always rumored, but this year the Reds have Hamilton who may be the Rule-5 pick of the century. Adam Dunn is IIRC a free agent after this year, so I think the Reds will look to move one of Griffey/Dunn if they fall out of the race in what is by far the crappiest division in baseball.

More interesting than any of the above for the Sox needs IMO is Corey Patterson who will be a FA after this year. Sure, the O's are off to a good start, but they will come back to earth like every other year. Corey could play CF or LF and steal bases, which has to make Ozzie's mouth water. Plus he actually has power.

Anyway, the Sox have a lot of pitching in the minors right now and IMO they need to sell some of these guys high to fill a need. Would there be any pitcher in the Sox minors who is untouchable besides Gio?

Tragg
04-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Anyway, the Sox have a lot of pitching in the minors right now and IMO they need to sell some of these guys high to fill a need. Would there be any pitcher in the Sox minors who is untouchable besides Gio?
Probably not, and I'm not sure Gio is that untouchable either. But using top talent for stop-gap measures always makes me cringe. Let's do a real deal for a player who will last - our young pitcher(s) for their young outfielder.
I don't know how much Milwaukee will be interested in dumping Mench/Jenkins, now that they are leading the division.
As for Jock Jones - he's not a good hitter.

But we could use another hitter.

I think our best trade bait - and it would be risky for us - would be one of the bullpen guys. Teams will overpay for one of them.

Can Rogowski play outfield? We just took him off the 40 man, I think, so would we call him up?

UserNameBlank
04-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Probably not, and I'm not sure Gio is that untouchable either. But using top talent for stop-gap measures always makes me cringe. Let's do a real deal for a player who will last - our young pitcher(s) for their young outfielder.
I don't know how much Milwaukee will be interested in dumping Mench/Jenkins, now that they are leading the division.

I think our best trade bait - and it would be risky for us - would be one of the bullpen guys. Teams will overpay for one of them.

Can Rogowski play outfield? We just took him off the 40 man, I think, so would we call him up?
Dewon Day could make one of the pen guys available, but I'd rather see the Sox leave him in Double A, let him rack up some more K's, then deal him at his highest value (which should be pretty freaking high at the rate he's going).

Jock isn't exactly a great hitter, but he is clutch and he does hit bombs. I'd play him over an injured Pods, Erstad, or any of our bench players in LF. Edit: especially against righties. A platoon with Ozuna could actually be pretty darn productive.

The BrewCrew I think would definitely move one of those guys since they were trying to since the offseason. The difference with them leading the division though is that now they will want someone to help them now, like a pen guy probably. Maybe they would want Mack since they have Graffy and Counsell playing 3B? I don't think either of those guys would cost much though, especially Jenkins who is off to a good start.

04-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Why do I sense another Carl Everett signing? :D:

JB98
04-27-2007, 11:22 PM

Rogowski was hitting about .130 at triple-A the last time I checked. He is not a candidate for call-up. In fact, taking him off the 40-man shows he is no longer in the organization's plans, IMO.

Tragg
04-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Dewon Day could make one of the pen guys available, but I'd rather see the Sox leave him in Double A, let him rack up some more K's, then deal him at his highest value (which should be pretty freaking high at the rate he's going).

Jock isn't exactly a great hitter, but he is clutch and he does hit bombs. I'd play him over an injured Pods, Erstad, or any of our bench players in LF. Edit: especially against righties. A platoon with Ozuna could actually be pretty darn productive.

The BrewCrew I think would definitely move one of those guys since they were trying to since the offseason. The difference with them leading the division though is that now they will want someone to help them now, like a pen guy probably. Maybe they would want Mack since they have Graffy and Counsell playing 3B? I don't think either of those guys would cost much though, especially Jenkins who is off to a good start.

Day's interseting...I wonder how he compares to Jenks at this stage in the Sox organization.

I'll pass on Jock. And the way the Cubs have been pimpin him out on the trading block, he should be had for nothing more than the "organizational minor leaguer"

We need Mack. He's our best bench hitter and our #1 LF right now. We need another hitter.

If we wanted to trade MacDougal or one of those guys, I think we could get a pretty good hitter. But, we're contending right now - that's risky.
Ideally, I'd like to package some pitching and send it Tampa Bay's way, but they seem to be in love with their surplus of outfielders and sub 70 win seasons.

UserNameBlank
04-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Day's interseting...I wonder how he compares to Jenks at this stage in the Sox organization.

I'll pass on Jock. And the way the Cubs have been pimpin him out on the trading block, he should be had for nothing more than the "organizational minor leaguer"

We need Mack. He's our best bench hitter and our #1 LF right now. We need another hitter.
The only things I've heard about Day is his fastball and slider. In ST that is all I saw him throw as well. Jenks OTOH has a FB, cutter, slider, curve, and change, so I don't think we have anyone with as many weapons as Baaaaaad Bobby has.

cws05champ
04-27-2007, 11:44 PM
What about Edwardo Perez? He was close to making the team as a strong RH bat off the bench(if he didn't get hurt). He should be Kenny first call...

BanditJimmy
04-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Jacque Jones at US Cellular field would not be too bad of an option right now knowing that Thome could be a out for a few weeks and Pods will be out until June for sure.

A LH power bat will be needed, Rob Mak sure not providing anything right now for this team.

Definately I would not give the cubs anything more than a B level prospect for him.

UserNameBlank
04-27-2007, 11:47 PM
What about Edwardo Perez? He was close to making the team as a strong RH bat off the bench(if he didn't get hurt). He should be Kenny first call...
I think he'd be a great option as a bench player, but with all the injuries popping up already and a whole season practically left to play, I doubt another aging veteran is going to help much. At this point I think we need a starter.

Edit:

Right now I think from an origanizational standpoint, they have to look at the situation and pretend Toby Hall is out for the year, Pods won't come back healthy, and Thome will be in and out of the lineup. If they wait too long to make a move then the Sox can fall behind in a tough division. If they are proactive though and pick up another bat, then if some of these guys do come back healthy there will be a surplus instead of a hole.

JB98
04-27-2007, 11:55 PM

If we wanted to trade MacDougal or one of those guys, I think we could get a pretty good hitter. But, we're contending right now - that's risky.
Ideally, I'd like to package some pitching and send it Tampa Bay's way, but they seem to be in love with their surplus of outfielders and sub 70 win seasons.

Keep the pitching. I mean, Thome might have to go on the DL, but he's not going to be gone more than a few weeks.

I think the veterans we have here can step it up just as easily as anyone we might acquire in a trade.

CLR01
04-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Why do I sense another Carl Everett signing? :D:

Because KW has never passed up a chance to acquire Carl Everett.

BanditJimmy
04-28-2007, 12:02 AM

Still have the picture in my head of Carl screaming at Phil Gardner from the dug-out in game 3 of the WS

Tragg
04-28-2007, 12:04 AM

I expect Kenny to take a quick scouting trip down to New Orleans soon enough...Handy Sandy's catching with the New Orleans Zephyrs. It's 2 for 1 time - Mike Defelice is his platoon mate.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 12:06 AM
I expect Kenny to take a quick scouting trip down to New Orleans soon enough...Handy Sandy's catching with the New Orleans Zephyrs. It's 2 for 1 time - Mike Defelice is his platoon mate.
I love Sandy but I think he has Julio Franco disease. I would like to see him back as a coach though.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Keep the pitching. I mean, Thome might have to go on the DL, but he's not going to be gone more than a few weeks.

I think the veterans we have here can step it up just as easily as anyone we might acquire in a trade.
If Buehrle leaves after this season we will likely only have one hole in the rotation, unless of course another pitcher is traded, but if that happens KW will almost certainly pick up young pitching in the deal.

That one hole would probably go to Gio IMO, or at least he is being groomed for it. Maybe Floyd? The Sox have a lot of arms who are almost ready, but I don't think really any of them have a future with the Sox. I doubt Broadway, Phillips, or Heager do at least, and I'd think any one of those guys plus maybe an organizational guy could get us a decent bat with some power to help set us apart from the rest of the division. It's not like the Sox would have to go after another Soriano, but a Raul Ibanez/Jacque Jones/Geoff Jenkins type would certainly be worth the price IMO. I'd even go a little higher for Patterson if he becomes available, as long as it didn't cost any of our starters, Gio, or any of our pen guys minus Logan.

lumpyspun
04-28-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Raul Ibanez. The Mariners are on a little streak right now and are back at .500 in the weak AL West. There is no way in hell they are giving up Ibanez in a "cheap" deal. The guy had 33 homers and 123 RBIs last year and is not exactly slumping right now.

They love Ibanez out here.

Although we do have a history of robbing the M's...:smile:

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Raul Ibanez. The Mariners are on a little streak right now and are back at .500 in the weak AL West. There is no way in hell they are giving up Ibanez in a "cheap" deal. The guy had 33 homers and 123 RBIs last year and is not exactly slumping right now.

They love Ibanez out here.

I just took a guess since he's going to be 35 this year and has one year left on his deal. He had a career year last year and it won't be too long before he's a platoon player. Maybe he's worth more, but I don't think the Mariners would get a whole lot for him. Then again, there were reports I think that the M's wanted Blanton for Reed, so the M's could be asking for something crazy like a top prospect and a reliever, which they obviously wouldn't get.

pmck003
04-28-2007, 01:12 AM
That's really funny.

I can't imagine a better DH than Aaron Rowand. Ibanez would be great though

It's Dankerific
04-28-2007, 04:07 AM
Why exactly do we need to make a trade for anyone? The team is winning, with the injuries. Thome will be out a little while. Fine. Sure, we dont need Cintron batting 3rd, thats for sure. Easy solution: Call up Fields. The kid can rake. Let him play DH. No need to trade one of our prospects for some short term lame player that ya'll be hating in a week anyways.

IndianWhiteSox
04-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Why exactly do we need to make a trade for anyone? The team is winning, with the injuries. Thome will be out a little while. Fine. Sure, we dont need Cintron batting 3rd, thats for sure. Easy solution: Call up Fields. The kid can rake. Let him play DH. No need to trade one of our prospects for some short term lame player that ya'll be hating in a week anyways.

That sound good to me!

:cool::gulp:

jabrch
04-28-2007, 07:05 AM

They screwed us when we gave them Miggy and a future HOFer for a drunk.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Josh is raking to the tune of a .216 batting average in a hitters park at Triple A. The last thing the Sox need to do is take a talented prospect who is struggling, waste an option on him, set him up for failure and risk hurting his confidence.

There isn't anyone in the minors that the Sox could call up to give them a lift right now. About the only moves I could see them making would be sending BA and Gustavo down for Terrero and Wiki, but even that might not happen.

We need someone because 1. we have no starting LF 2. Thome had some trouble near the ned of last year, and the fact that he's already having issues this early isn't a good sign 3. it weakens our bench and our OF defense specifically when Pablo is out there when we have to start these guys 4. we play in the AL Central 5. the Sox can afford it after dumping Freddy's contract 6. it shouldn't cost too much and a decent bat will not compromise the future of the organization 7. teams expecting to contend fill areas of need as soon as they can

PIERCE
04-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Terrero and wikki..................omg.................please no!

EMachine10
04-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Fields is off to a slow start, yes, but so is everybody on this team not named Jim Thome. Should we send them down? We all know what Josh can do and he doesn't really have much more to prove in AAA. Let him get his feet wet for a real stint here - not spot playing as a September call up. Hey, if he does real well, people take notice, and his stock creeps up a bit.

DickAllen72
04-28-2007, 10:43 AM
If no major league acquisition can be made at this time, I would go with Pablo Ozuna as the full time DH and bring Andy Gonzalez back to take Pablo's spot on the bench.

Pablo wouldn't replace Thome's power, but he would add much needed speed and a spark to the lineup. He has hit well at every level he has played throughout his career and would fill in well for a two week period at the plate while the Sox would not have to hide his defense in the outfield for that time.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 12:59 PM

People make fun of Everett all the time, but he had some huge hits for the Sox early and late in '05. From what I've heard, he kicked some people's asses into gear in the lockerroom too (ie telling AJ to turn off the TV and get to work when they were struggling down the stretch). I'll always respect Everett for what he contributed that season.

Right now his bat speed's probably worse than Baines' in 2001, so he's not an option for backup DH (in addition to not being able to play anywhere in the field).

IndianWhiteSox
04-28-2007, 01:08 PM
The Sox are going to be without Pods until late May or beyond, and when he comes back the Sox can't exactly count on him being 100% since he's spent a lot of time on the DL since he got here. Thome wore down a bit last year and has already been kept out a couple games to a nagging injury that resurfaced again tonight. Plus how long can Erstad keep hitting everything hard? Add that in with Crede's late season recurring back troubles, and it seems pretty clear that KW needs to get a bat.

Preferrably I'd like to see an OF with some power who can DH at times to give Thome a rest.

My guesses on short term solutions that will probably be available for pretty cheap:

Geoff Jenkins
Kevin Mench, Emil Brown, Reggie Sanders, Jacque Jones, Luis Gonzalez,
Raul Ibanez, and Pat Burrell. I would imagine KW could get either Burrell or Jenkins for next to nothing just by taking on the contract, but I don't know if KW would play that game.

More expensive solutions could be one of the guys from TB, Scott Hairston, or Reed Johnson if the Jays are willing to deal him over Rios for pitching. Griffey is always rumored, but this year the Reds have Hamilton who may be the Rule-5 pick of the century. Adam Dunn is IIRC a free agent after this year, so I think the Reds will look to move one of Griffey/Dunn if they fall out of the race in what is by far the crappiest division in baseball.

More interesting than any of the above for the Sox needs IMO is Corey Patterson who will be a FA after this year. Sure, the O's are off to a good start, but they will come back to earth like every other year. Corey could play CF or LF and steal bases, which has to make Ozzie's mouth water. Plus he actually has power.

Doesn't Dunn still have a club option that the Reds can still pick up?

lumpyspun
04-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Right now his bat speed's probably worse than Baines' in 2001, so he's not an option for backup DH (in addition to not being able to play anywhere in the field).

Probably because he uses a grown California Sequoia as a bat. :smile:

I still laugh at that moment caught on TV where Dye was struggling at the plate and Carl told him to use his bat, so Dye did and then promptly struck out with it.

TomBradley72
04-28-2007, 01:20 PM

All I would add is that we need a RH hitting OF/DH...so that when we are healthy...we have a right handed option to Pods/Erstad/Thome/Mackowiak. We already have Sweeney and Owens for additional LH hitting OF depth in the organization.

CLR01
04-28-2007, 01:30 PM
People make fun of Everett all the time, but he had some huge hits for the Sox early and late in '05.

People make fun of him because he is a little crazy.

Brian26
04-28-2007, 01:50 PM

The reason people make fun of him is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Jurr
04-28-2007, 02:04 PM
People make fun of Everett all the time, but he had some huge hits for the Sox early and late in '05. From what I've heard, he kicked some people's asses into gear in the lockerroom too (ie telling AJ to turn off the TV and get to work when they were struggling down the stretch). I'll always respect Everett for what he contributed that season.

People totally overlook Everett's contribution to that team. He was absolutely vital, especially with Frank out. Huge.

Jurr
04-28-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't care if he eats Newcastle bottles and runs headfirst into lamp posts. He was awesome that year, especially in the first half.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Doesn't Dunn still have a club option that the Reds can still pick up?
Actually yes. Apparently he has a club option worth 13mil for next year which would make him even more expensive. I doubt the Sox would want to put together the type of package it would take to acquire him, even if they could.

Ichiro is another guy who will be rumored about heavily but IMO he wouldn't be worth the price of a rental.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I don't care if he eats Newcastle bottles and runs headfirst into lamp posts. He was awesome that year, especially in the first half.
I loved Crazy Carl and all his head-scratching comments. If he didn't drive in so many clutch runs I might not have however.

thomas35forever
04-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Please don't bring back Everett. I know he was part of the '05 campaign, but I have a feeling he'd be a clubhouse cancer this time around.

DickAllen72
04-28-2007, 03:00 PM
I wonder if the Phillies would let us take Pat Burrell off their hands for next to nothing if we took on most of the contract.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I wonder if the Phillies would let us take Pat Burrell off their hands for next to nothing if we took on most of the contract.
There were reports the Phils were basically trying to give him away before but had no takers. They dumped Abreu for nothing after the Yanks finally stepped up and took him.

His contract runs through '08 though so while I imagine we could probably get him for a AAAA player, we'd probably have to throw in something decent to get the Phils to eat some of the salary.

Tragg
04-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Left alone, Ozzie's putting Cintron at DH. That's a joke. Never miss an opportunity to put a weak slap-hitter into the lineup.

We need to get someone in here, be it a call up or whatever.

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Left alone, Ozzie's putting Cintron at DH. That's a joke. Never miss an opportunity to put a weak slap-hitter into the lineup.

Ozzie said during the game that they are going to call someone up to for Thome, and whoever it is that they turn to isn't going to play a lot since Ozzie is going to use the guys he has.

Having two of Mack/Pablo/Cintron in the lineup as a LF and DH every day isn't going to be fun. Erstad has been hot for a few games in a row now, but I'm not sold on that continuing. Anderson isn't going to amount to anything off the bench if he's not playing, so if Erstad cools down we will have 3 bench players in our starting lineup every day. And imagine the lineup when AJ needs a rest. Jesus, the lineup we swept the Tribe with at the end of '05 is almost better.

KW needs to get someone or this offense is going to take a serious tumble quick. I'm hoping he isn't going to sit around hoping everyone gets healthy and wait until the AS break to make an acquistion, because we could lose a lot of ground by that time.

Tragg
04-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Ozzie said during the game that they are going to call someone up to for Thome, and whoever it is that they turn to isn't going to play a lot since Ozzie is going to use the guys he has.

Having two of Mack/Pablo/Cintron in the lineup as a LF and DH every day isn't going to be fun. Erstad has been hot for a few games in a row now, but I'm not sold on that continuing. Anderson isn't going to amount to anything off the bench if he's not playing, so if Erstad cools down we will have 3 bench players in our starting lineup every day. And imagine the lineup when AJ needs a rest. Jesus, the lineup we swept the Tribe with at the end of '05 is almost better.

KW needs to get someone or this offense is going to take a serious tumble quick. I'm hoping he isn't going to sit around hoping everyone gets healthy and wait until the AS break to make an acquistion, because we could lose a lot of ground by that time.
There's no excuse for Cintron at DH. Anderson, even now, is better than Cintron. Ozzie is forcing this grinder-ball nonsense. And it shows. It isn't scoring runs because it's a ridiculous way to run an offense as a general philosophy (although it has its moments in certain situations - like we used it in 2005). This team scores runs off homers and balls off of the wall - when we score, we do it in spite of the holes in the lineup that Ozzie insists on putting there.

And did I mention AJ at cleanup? What is that?

UserNameBlank
04-28-2007, 09:02 PM
There's no excuse for Cintron at DH. Anderson, even now, is better than Cintron. Ozzie is forcing this grinder-ball nonsense. And it shows. It isn't scoring runs because it's a ridiculous way to run an offense as a general philosophy (although it has its moments in certain situations - like we used it in 2005). This team scores runs off homers and balls off of the wall - when we score, we do it in spite of the holes in the lineup that Ozzie insists on putting there.

And did I mention AJ at cleanup? What is that?
Yeah, we score runs like every other team in baseball scores runs - via the home run and extra base hits in general. "Smallball" is an important part of the game, but you're not always going to score 4 or 5 or more runs playing "smallball," giving up outs, and trying to grind your way through the game with a bunch of guys with no plate discipline. "Smallball" is best when trying to push across a couple runs against Johan or something.

I saw AJ at cleanup too, but that is just how Ozzie is I guess. Take a guy who doesn't get on base a whole lot and doesn't walk, and then sandwich him between PK and Dye just because he bats from the freaking left side of the plate? That's how the Oz rolls I guess.

soxwon
04-28-2007, 10:10 PM

canseco's available!!!

Brian26
04-28-2007, 10:18 PM

I was surprised to see that Ibanez is going to be 35 years old in June. I thought he was much younger.

DickAllen72
04-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I was surprised to see that Ibanez is going to be 35 years old in June.
That's why I wonder if he may be available.

lumpyspun
04-28-2007, 11:39 PM
That's why I wonder if he may be available.

Not a chance. Unless we want Jeff Weaver with him.