PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle still would like to stay a White Sox

Rowandws33
04-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Call it a no-hitter hangover, Mark Buehrle (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3477) simply mellowing as the season goes on -- or maybe White Sox (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/36) chairman Jerry Reinsdorf really can sell a PlayStation 3 to an Amish man -- but Buehrle's stance on returning to the Sox next season seems softer, and for the first time, a deal looks doable. cnnsi.com and Chicago trib

04-27-2007, 10:38 AM
I was hoping to see a Press Release link with this post! :angry:

Rowandws33
04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
i got the link if you want me to post it..

rdwj
04-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I was hoping to see a Press Release link with this post! :angry:

Ya, talk about a misleading title. :rolleyes:

Uncle_Patrick
04-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Is there an actual story here, or is this just speculation by someone?:?:

stl_sox_fan
04-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah, Mark just called into AM 590 here in St Louis saying the same thing. :D:

Hope it's true!

Rowandws33
04-27-2007, 10:41 AM
my bad i should have put a ? in the title...

Uncle_Patrick
04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
i got the link if you want me to post it..
Please do.

CLR01
04-27-2007, 10:45 AM
He's has said repeatedly he would like to stay in Chicago. How is this new information?

Rowandws33
04-27-2007, 10:46 AM
here is the link guys. http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/mlb?page=2

Hitmen77
04-27-2007, 10:48 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/360638,CST-SPT-joe27.article

I don't see anything new here. We have already heard that MB will let the Sox match any offer. That's pretty meaningless IMO since the best offer he'll get as a free agency will be so outrageously high that the Sox will never match it.

If the Sox want to keep him, I think they're going to have to offer something in the ballpark of 4-5 yrs/$15 million per year before MB hits the market. I wouldn't have a problem with the Sox making that kind of offer if MB takes it.

After he hits the market, he'll be gone. There is certain to be at least one team out there willing to offer him a "Zito" contract. At that point, no way will the Sox match them - nor do I think they should match that kind of offer.

jdm2662
04-27-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/360638,CST-SPT-joe27.article

I don't see anything new here. We have already heard that MB will let the Sox match any offer. That's pretty meaningless IMO since the best offer he'll get as a free agency will be so outrageously high that the Sox will never match it.

Bingo, this is just a redunant story. It's only being addressed again since there was a no game yesterday, and the reporters are bored. Sure, Mark would like to stay, but if he gets an outragous offer he can't turn down, he's going to take it.

Rowandws33
04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
seems to me that the cnnsi.com article kinda hints that they may get a deal done before the season is over...maybe iam just reading too much into it...

CLR01
04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
seems to me that the cnnsi.com article kinda hints that they may get a deal done before the season is over...maybe iam just reading too much into it...

You are reading way to far into it.

'People think I don't want to stay here, but I do want to stay. Hopefully, in the offseason, something will be done before I even go out there and start visiting other teams. That would be the best-case scenario.

''Jerry basically told me, 'Just give us a chance to match it.' I promised him that I will. Jerry told me he had no problem with me going out there and seeing what I'm worth, what I'm offered, and then said, 'Come back to us and see if we can match it or come close to it, see if we have a chance and go from there.'''

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2007, 11:29 AM
The Sox policy has been pretty consistent that they won't offer more than three years to a pitcher. The Sox might be willing to match the dollars-per-year offered, but probably not the length of contract, as I'm pretty certain someone will offer him a five-year deal.

Madvora
04-27-2007, 11:31 AM
More interesting... look at that picture of Hunter.

http://img.fannation.com/images/ap/2007/04/26/16/200704261652607376447-p2-210x210.jpg

StillMissOzzie
04-27-2007, 11:40 AM
The Sox policy has been pretty consistent that they won't offer more than three years to a pitcher. The Sox might be willing to match the dollars-per-year offered, but probably not the length of contract, as I'm pretty certain someone will offer him a five-year deal.

Sadly, I concur with you, Nellie. Buehrle just turned 28, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a six year offer forthcoming, let alone a five year deal, in Mark's future. It's great that he offered the Sox the opportunity to match any offer he gets, but I doubt that they will. Sounds to me like another version of "I'd love to stay, but I want market value", (read: no home town discount) at a time when market value for durable starters is going through the roof.

Didn't the Sox offer Colon a four year deal, though? Not likely that will be long enough, but at least the Sox will get off the three year limit under special circumstances.

What really sucks is that it took pond scum like Jaime Navarro to bring about this policy in the first place. :angry:

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2007, 11:41 AM
More interesting... look at that picture of Hunter.

http://img.fannation.com/images/ap/2007/04/26/16/200704261652607376447-p2-210x210.jpg
http://www.hersheys.com/trickortreats/activities/costumes/mummy.jpg

SBSoxFan
04-27-2007, 12:42 PM
'People think I don't want to stay here, but I do want to stay. Hopefully, in the offseason, something will be done before I even go out there and start visiting other teams. That would be the best-case scenario.'

The Sox will have exclusive negotiating rights with Mark for a few weeks after the season ends, right? So, what are the chances that the Sox make an offer that Mark finds acceptable, and he signs without visiting any other teams?

04-27-2007, 12:43 PM
The Sox will have exclusive negotiating rights with Mark for a few weeks after the season ends, right? So, what are the chances that the Sox make an offer that Mark finds acceptable, and he signs without visiting any other teams?

I'd say 50/50. Get it done KW!

IlliniSox4Life
04-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I think a lot of the speculation we are hearing saying that Buehrle will be gone to the Cardinals is 100% hype. It's all ESPN that we are hearing it from, and after all, why would Buehrle want to stay with the lowly hated White Sox, when he could play for somebody like the Great St Louis Cardinals, or the Historic New York Yankees. If we can sign Buehrle to a contract, I will be the happiest guy in the world. I hope it won't be because we refuse to give any pitcher more than three years. For someone who has been as durable as Buehrle, I think he deserves at least 4. If it is because of the money though, I can understand that.

Hitmen77
04-27-2007, 01:10 PM

I think this is going to be our only chance to sign him. Once he hits the open market, the offers out there will insanely high.

Chez
04-27-2007, 01:37 PM
I love Buehrle and hope he stays in Chicago but his agent would be doing him a huge disservice by not at least testing the free agent market. Ultimately it will come down to how much of a home town discount Mark is willing to give the Sox. I can't see the Sox matching what is sure to be a huge offer from St. Louis, the Yankees, etc. But Konerko took less money to re-sign with us than was offered by the Angels so there is precedent (and hope). I just don't see Mark not at least seeing what's out there by testing the market.

chisoxfanatic
04-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I love Buehrle and hope he stays in Chicago but his agent would be doing him a huge disservice by not at least testing the free agent market. Ultimately it will come down to how much of a home town discount Mark is willing to give the Sox. I can't see the Sox matching what is sure to be a huge offer from St. Louis, the Yankees, etc. But Konerko took less money to re-sign with us than was offered by the Angels so there is precedent (and hope). I just don't see Mark not at least seeing what's out there by testing the market.

Sure; But, Buehrle has already given the Sox the promise that he will allow them to match ANY offer that any other team may make. The ball is clearly in the Sox court here.

Get er done, KW!

jdm2662
04-27-2007, 03:02 PM

The same thing that came down to Konerko will come down to Mark, years. The money that was offered wasn't really significantly higher. It just had an extra year guarenteed. Once the Sox offered the fifth year, Konerko signed. The Sox will match the yearly salary, but it will come down to number of years. If someone throws Mark a 7/120 million contract, Mark would be dumb not to take it, and I wouldn't blame the Sox for not matching it.

The Immigrant
04-27-2007, 03:04 PM

Didn't we offer a four year contract to Colon, but he took more money from the Angels? I could have sworn that was the case.

Harry Potter
04-27-2007, 03:18 PM
IIRC, the Sox followed their standard policy and only offered him a 3 year deal.

whitesoxfan1986
04-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Didn't we offer a four year contract to Colon, but he took more money from the Angels? I could have sworn that was the case.
No. We offered Colon 3/36 but he took 5/54 from LAAINSWCAUSA.

Harry Potter
04-27-2007, 03:20 PM
No. We offered Colon 3/36 but he took 5/54 from LAAINSWCAUSA.

Final deal was 4/51 http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1681587

Hitmen77
04-27-2007, 03:37 PM

I can see the Sox offering him 4 years. They've already stretched that "3 year rule" by essentially committing to Contreras and Vazquez for 4 years (1 yr remaining on existing deal plus 3 additional years on new contract for each). But I don't think that will matter because I expect Mark will want a 5 yr deal. That 5th year will be the deal-breaker between him and the Sox unless the team changes its policy.

I did see an interview with Reinsdorf on TV this spring where he confirmed the team's policy against long-term deals for pitchers, but he suggested "never say never" and said the Sox would only consider a long-term deal only in exceptional cases where a pitcher has a long track record of success and durability. Could he possibly apply this "exception" to Buehrle? I guess we'll see this fall.

Also, IMO if the Sox do work out a deal with MB, I expect them to trade away one of their other starting pitchers (Garland, Jose, or Javy) next winter to free up $10-12 million on the payroll and to plug a couple of more promising pitching arms into the pipeline.

whitesoxfan1986
04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Final deal was 4/51 http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1681587
My bad. it I thought Colon signed for 5 years. I gues I was wrong.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-27-2007, 11:39 PM
It would break my heart if the Sox were not to resign Buerhle. He's one of the few players left from the 2000 team, he has the World Series save and now the no hitter. It's sad that you can count on a player not staying with a team for very long. Buerhle can be one of the few exceptions, I don't like it when any player from the Championship team leaves, but this would be horrible.

All that said, I do appreciate that you cannot resign a player based upon sentiment: that is foolish. But, this signing, on the other hand, makes sense even for the big money they are sure to have to pay out. He has the numbers to back it up and has been virtually injury free.

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2007, 11:51 PM
It would break my heart if the Sox were not to resign Buerhle. He's the only player left from the 2000 team, he has the World Series save and now the no hitter. It's sad that you can count on a player not staying with a team for very long. Buerhle can be one of the few exceptions, I don't like it when any player from the Championship team leaves, but this would be horrible. He has the numbers to back it up and has been virtually injury free.

All that said, I do appreciate that you cannot resign a player based upon sentiment: that is foolish. But, this signing, on the other hand, makes sense even for the big money they are sure to have to pay out. He has the numbers to back it up and has been virtually injury free.But does he have the numbers to back it up? And what about injuries?:wink:

ewokpelts
04-28-2007, 12:28 AM
It would break my heart if the Sox were not to resign Buerhle. He's the only player left from the 2000 team, he has the World Series save and now the no hitter. It's sad that you can count on a player not staying with a team for very long. Buerhle can be one of the few exceptions, I don't like it when any player from the Championship team leaves, but this would be horrible. He has the numbers to back it up and has been virtually injury free.

All that said, I do appreciate that you cannot resign a player based upon sentiment: that is foolish. But, this signing, on the other hand, makes sense even for the big money they are sure to have to pay out. He has the numbers to back it up and has been virtually injury free.konerko, garland, and crede also played in 2000.

IlliniSox4Life
04-28-2007, 02:15 AM
What I don't get, is if the Sox are willing to add the extra year of the contract to go 4 years (which I think they are considering Vazquez and Contreras' extensions), then why wouldnt they give him a 5 year contract with buyouts in the 4th and 5th years. It's basically saying that if you pitch good for the duration we'll pay you X amount of money, and if something happens where you get injured or just suck then we will still give you a chunk of that but not all of it.