PDA

View Full Version : ‘Moneyball’ Author Looks at Steroidball

Vernam
04-27-2007, 09:33 AM
From the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/26/sports/playemail/0426playlewis.html

It has become common to register the exact number of feet a home run travels, so it may soon be possible for statistics gurus to come up with a reasonable number of feet to subtract from homers hit by players proven or suspected of juicing. When other factors are taken into account, that could lead us to a formula for reducing the career home run totals of players who may have benefited from performance-enhancing drugs more powerful than greenies (including Bonds, whose pursuit of Hank Aaron’s major league mark of 755 homers has been clouded by steroid allegations). And, of course, once we have a number to divide by, there’s nothing to stop us from multiplying with it too, to estimate how many home runs players from earlier eras might have hit au jus.

Can't wait for that. :rolleyes: At first I thought this was tongue-in-cheek, but apparently not. Consider the source . . .

Vernam

FedEx227
04-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Moneyball was a well-written book. Michael Lewis is a great author, it's an interesting take. I wouldn't take it as complete fact but it would be fun to look at.

Madvora
04-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm all for outing all of the steroid users and punishing them as much as we can, but this idea is just stupid.

soxfanatlanta
04-27-2007, 09:44 AM
I cannot see how they can account for all of the physiological variables to even come close to a statistically valid number.

Is this trip really necessary?

eriqjaffe
04-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Great, another book for Joe Morgan to think was written by somebody else.

IndianWhiteSox
04-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm all for outing all of the steroid users and punishing them as much as we can, but this idea is just stupid.

Moneyball was dumb, but this might be a lot more interesting than most people here might think. I mean, if you can get a doctor's view in a few chapters or so, then they very well might be able to find out who did them and who didn't and for how long. Although if they only used blood tests then they would be able to bust people like Bonds anyway.

Off topic- But what I don't understand is that if the french were able to bust Landis so quickly due to high hormone levels(with a urine test), then how the hell can't MLB and NFL do the same?

soxfanatlanta
04-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Off topic- But what I don't understand is that if the french were able to bust Landis so quickly due to high hormone levels(with a urine test), then how the hell can't MLB and NFL do the same?

Landis was busted for high levels of synthetic testosterone; it was found quickly because they tested him immediately after the stage was over (part of their protocol).

Most sports organizations do not test nearly as frequently as cycling.

FedEx227
04-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Moneyball was dumb, but this might be a lot more interesting than most people here might think.

What was dumb about Moneyball? If it was written about the White Sox we would claim it the best book ever created. It was a good look into the inside wheelings and dealings of a baseball team as well as the statistical revolution that is apart of baseball whether people would like to believe so or not.

IlliniSox4Life
04-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I can't imagine a whole book on it, but I do think the premise is interesting. Everyone says "Bonds still needed to have the great eye to hit those home runs". Which is true. But you have to wonder how many that just cleared the walls would have been warning track shots. And how many of Aaron and Ruth's warning track shots would have been HRs.

FedEx227
04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I can't imagine a whole book on it, but I do think the premise is interesting. Everyone says "Bonds still needed to have the great eye to hit those home runs". Which is true. But you have to wonder how many that just cleared the walls would have been warning track shots. And how many of Aaron and Ruth's warning track shots would have been HRs.

Exactly, Bonds especially in San Fran got a lot of help from the juice. Granted, he was already a great hitter, but a lot of guys need an extra 50-60 feet to be dominant. Hell, Mr. WTP himself Ray Durham would probably hit 60 a year with a little help.

Tragg
04-28-2007, 12:33 AM
"Liars Poker" about the crooks in bond trading, is a good book. Much of the shenanigans that he describes in that book is now illegal.