PDA

View Full Version : Yankees

getonbckthr
04-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Are potentially another bad weekend away from being done and we're only in April. We're talking about 5.5 games back going into a weekend series against 1st place Boston. NYY need desperately to take 2 out of 3. Bottom line they don't have the pitching to make a late run if they are gonna contend they need to start playing better now. However there are no pitchers out there for them to grab, their best pitchers are on the DL and they are relying on rookies to win in the hardest town to win. I don't care how good your offense is if you can't pitch and hold leads you won't win.

MUsoxfan
04-26-2007, 09:41 PM
All these Yankee fans wanted nothing more than great production from A-Rod. Now they have all-world production out of him, and they can't win a game. There's only one word to describe this situation: GLORIOUS:D:

getonbckthr
04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
All these Yankee fans wanted nothing more than great production from A-Rod. Now they have all-world production out of him, and they can't win a game. There's only one word to describe this situation: GLORIOUS:D:
Couldn't agree more. After Arod that team looks really old. Damon struggling to stay healthy, "the best short stop of all time" I heard someone say has more errors already this season than last, and Rivera can't close games either.

MUsoxfan
04-26-2007, 09:47 PM
It's almost like bizarro world. We have 1st place Brewers and last place Yankees. :cool:

FedEx227
04-26-2007, 09:51 PM
It's almost like bizarro world. We have 1st place Brewers and last place Yankees. :cool:

Best World Ever.

nedlug
04-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Are potentially another bad weekend away from being done and we're only in April. We're talking about 5.5 games back going into a weekend series against 1st place Boston. NYY need desperately to take 2 out of 3. Bottom line they don't have the pitching to make a late run if they are gonna contend they need to start playing better now. However there are no pitchers out there for them to grab, their best pitchers are on the DL and they are relying on rookies to win in the hardest town to win. I don't care how good your offense is if you can't pitch and hold leads you won't win.

Yes, they are in trouble.

5.5 games back in April? Not nearly the end of the world, especially for the Yankees...

PeteWard
04-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah only 130 plus games to go. Definitely done. :rolleyes:

Like the Twins last year right?

getonbckthr
04-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Big difference between the 07 NYY and the 06 Twins. Where is Santana and Liriano? Minnesota had pitching and that was the reason they clawed themselves back into it. The Yanks have no pitching, and as we all know pitching wins.

MUsoxfan
04-26-2007, 11:13 PM

The Yankees might get one pitcher with 12 wins. Pettitte and Mussina are seemingly closer to their AARP cards than they are to the prime of their careers. The rest of their staff either brings an excellent presence into the trainer's room or are guys barely out of the minors.

The Yankees have lots of reasons to be worried. They can't really loot other teams for high-priced talent because there's not much of it that they'd be able to loot. Nobody on the perennial schmuck team list really has anyone they'd be dying to unload to the Yankees.

thomas35forever
04-26-2007, 11:24 PM
The Yankees can and will climb back into the pennant race. Count on it.

oeo
04-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Big difference between the 07 NYY and the 06 Twins. Where is Santana and Liriano? Minnesota had pitching and that was the reason they clawed themselves back into it. The Yanks have no pitching, and as we all know pitching wins.

For the last time, it wasn't Santana and Liriano that got them to a division title. They got unbelievable years from Punto and Bartlett (they did not start the season with the Twins), Cuddyer broke out, they had the batting champion, and the MVP. A lot of people are forgetting that the Yankees had their two best pitchers on the DL (one is still there). They have enough pitching to win with that lineup. That doesn't mean they're going to do it in the playoffs, but they can definitely fight their way to a division title (or the Wild Card).

The Red Sox are getting unbelievable pitching right now, at the same time. Schilling is a question mark as to if he can stay healthy, Wakefield is a knuckleballer and therefore will always be a question mark, Dice K...I don't care what anyone says, he's a question mark until he proves himself (and by prove, I don't mean four starts), and I still think Josh Beckett is one of the most overrated pitchers in baseball. The Yankees are definitely not done.

HomeFish
04-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Somebody's missed, like, the last 4 seasons of AL East baseball.

From 2003 to 2007, each year the Yankees have absolutely sucked in April. From 2003 to 2007, each year they won the division. I don't see what makes 2007 any different.

MUsoxfan
04-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Somebody's missed, like, the last 4 seasons of AL East baseball.

From 2003 to 2007, each year the Yankees have absolutely sucked in April. From 2003 to 2007, each year they won the division. I don't see what makes 2007 any different.

The difference this year is they literally have NO pitching. They have no valuable pitching to speak of.

Surely the Yanks/Sawx can't finish 1-2 in the AL East every year. This is a year it won't happen.

The '06 Twins had astronomical pitching. This WILL NOT happen with the '07 Yankees.

oeo
04-27-2007, 02:13 AM
The difference this year is they literally have NO pitching. They have no valuable pitching to speak of.

Surely the Yanks/Sawx can't finish 1-2 in the AL East every year. This is a year it won't happen.

The '06 Twins had astronomical pitching. This WILL NOT happen with the '07 Yankees.

The '06 Twins had Santana, and Liriano (and not for long), as well as Radke. Bonser, Garza, and Silva were nothing special.

The Yankees have Wang, Mussina, and then nothing special. The Yankees have enough pitching to compete in that division.

And BTW, the Yankees and Red Sox did not finish 1-2 last year.

MUsoxfan
04-27-2007, 02:31 AM
The Yankees have Wang, Mussina, and then nothing special. The Yankees have enough pitching to compete in that division.

And BTW, the Yankees and Red Sox did not finish 1-2 last year.

I must have missed the memo that said Wang was special. Toronto and Boston both have much better staffs

While the Yanks/Sawx didn't finish 1-2 last year, that doesn't stop people from having the perennial expectation of having that happen. This year the Yanks will be in 4th

oeo
04-27-2007, 02:36 AM
I must have missed the memo that said Wang was special. Toronto and Boston both have much better staffs

While the Yanks/Sawx didn't finish 1-2 last year, that doesn't stop people from having the perennial expectation of having that happen. This year the Yanks will be in 4th

Wang was better than every guy on our staff last year. I must have missed the memo that the Red Sox have a 5-man rotation (or a bullpen, for that matter), and Dice K is a proven MLB pitcher.

I never said that Toronto and Boston did not have better staffs (although Toronto has huge injury risks), but the Yankees still have a better lineup than both. The Yankees will outslug people (which is all they've done this year), with Mussina and Wang, they will win more games.

I'll bet anything the Yankees do not finish 4th. They may not finish on top, but I guarantee that they do not finish 4th.

MUsoxfan
04-27-2007, 02:45 AM
Wang was better than every guy on our staff last year.

I never said that Toronto and Boston did not have better staffs (although Toronto has huge injury risks), but the Yankees still have a better lineup than both. The Yankees will outslug people (which is all they've done this year), with Mussina and Wang, they will win more games.

I'll bet anything the Yankees do not finish 4th. They may not finish on top, but I guarantee that they do not finish 4th.

Only if I was a betting man....:tongue:

A-Rod is having one of the finest Aprils ever recorded and they're in LAST place. They just got swept by the Devil Rays...not in a pitching duel, but in a hitters duel. AJ Burnett shut them out tonight. If Hughes, Igawa, Wang, Mussina and Pettitte can bring it to even 3rd in that division, it would be a miracle. Pavano is a non-factor and even if they sign Clemens he won't do what he's been doing the past couple years in the NL.

Steinbrenner is a figurehead at this point because of his health. The heir-apparent of the Yankee organization is in the midst of a divorce with Jennifer Steinbrenner.

The Yankees are in trouble not only for this year, but for the years to come

oeo
04-27-2007, 02:52 AM
Only if I was a betting man....:tongue:

A-Rod is having one of the finest Aprils ever recorded and they're in LAST place. They just got swept by the Devil Rays...not in a pitching duel, but in a hitters duel. AJ Burnett shut them out tonight. If Hughes, Igawa, Wang, Mussina and Pettitte can bring it to even 3rd in that division, it would be a miracle. Pavano is a non-factor and even if they sign Clemens he won't do what he's been doing the past couple years in the NL.

Steinbrenner is a figurehead at this point because of his health. The heir-apparent of the Yankee organization is in the midst of a divorce with Jennifer Steinbrenner.

The Yankees are in trouble not only for this year, but for the years to come

I'm not against the Yankees finishing 4th in any way, but I just don't see it. Their lineup combined with average starting pitching will get them a lot of wins. If only the race was between the Blue Jays and Orioles, everyone could be happy.

The baseball season is long, so there's still a lot of time. The injury bug that the Yankees have right now, will likely bite both the Red Sox and Blue Jays at some point during the season. Halladay, Burnett, and Schilling are all injury risks; if any of those go down, it could change the whole race. The Yankees are fighting through injuries right now, and it's only the end of April...if they're still struggling in June, then talk to me about them being done; it's too early to say that right now.

And BTW, although the Red Sox swept that series, it's not like they dominated. All three of those games could have went either way.

chitownhawkfan
04-27-2007, 03:31 AM
It happens every year, they start off slow and win the division, but I think this year somebody else wins it. I think they could finish second but it wont matter the wild card is coming out of the central. Either way, I'll be rooting for our neighbors to the north.

Fenway
04-27-2007, 02:09 PM

Please even if Boston sweeps and they fall 8 1/2 back that is nothing

They were 14 1/2 back in July of 1978 and still came back to win it.

NEVER NEVER say they are dead until they are

Bar is low (http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2007/04/27/mound_bar_is_low/index.html)

Yankees pitching is so bad that it wouldn't be surprising to find the Red Sox up 8 1/2 games coming out of the weekend.

wilburaga
04-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Please even if Boston sweeps and they fall 8 1/2 back that is nothing

They were 14 1/2 back in July of 1978 and still came back to win it.

NEVER NEVER say they are dead until they are

That's what I thought you'd say. But I have to say the phrase 'Last Place Yankees' has a certain ring to it. Kind of rolls off the tongue.

W

Fenway
04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
That's what I thought you'd say. But I have to say the phrase 'Last Place Yankees' has a certain ring to it. Kind of rolls off the tongue.

W

it certainly does :D:

spiffie
04-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I can only imagine how large the bags of money Steinbrenner will be throwing at Clemens are going to be.

Fenway
04-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I can only imagine how large the bags of money Steinbrenner will be throwing at Clemens are going to be.

Double Trouble for George with the Mets off to a good start......

But something tells me they will be alive and well come September

Ms Waldman isn't worried....yet (audio)
http://www.wfan.com/episode_download.php?contentType=36&contentId=674983

PKalltheway
04-27-2007, 03:27 PM
The Yankees are in last place in April? *yawn*

Never, ever, underestimate the Yankees. If they're in fourth or fifth place by the beginning of August, then that will be a cause for celebration. Until then, I'm not getting my hopes up.

churlish
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
The Yankees are in last place in April? *yawn*

Never, ever, underestimate the Yankees. If they're in fourth or fifth place by the beginning of August, then that will be a cause for celebration. Until then, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Agreed. It's nice to see, but it's a mirage. They are a good team. An incredible offense with an average pitching staff. Their lineup is something out of a video game. They are going to score a lot of runs, and a good offense won't get it done in October, but it sure will in the regular season. Their pitchers are hurt now, but once they return, the pitching will stabilize.

Claiming the death of the Yankees in April is the equivalent of claiming that Kobe Bryant is a team player because he had 2 assists in the first quarter.

Fenway
04-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Just remember that the White Sox and the Yankees could be fighting for the Wild Card ( so finish FIRST in the Central )

One thing could help Boston in 2007....the Red Sox don't start playing their 19 with Tampa Bay until July 3rd....

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Boston 10, New York 4.

George must be delighted.

Scottiehaswheels
04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Mariano in a contract year with a 12.15 ERA.... :o:

Fenway
04-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Mariano in a contract year with a 12.15 ERA.... :o:

NYY look awful

Scottiehaswheels
04-27-2007, 10:22 PM
NYY look awfulHope they stay that way... we play them 10 times this year

CHISOXFAN13
04-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Just remember that the White Sox and the Yankees could be fighting for the Wild Card ( so finish FIRST in the Central )

One thing could help Boston in 2007....the Red Sox don't start playing their 19 with Tampa Bay until July 3rd....

Already handing the AL East crown to Boston?

Scottiehaswheels
04-27-2007, 10:43 PM
God I hope Toronto takes the East....

Fenway
04-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Already handing the AL East crown to Boston?

I fear Toronto

oeo
04-27-2007, 10:56 PM
I fear Toronto

So the Yankees are already out of the division race? I hope you're kidding...

Fenway
04-27-2007, 11:05 PM
So the Yankees are already out of the division race? I hope you're kidding...

I am allowed to dream

04-27-2007, 11:12 PM
I must have missed the memo that said Wang was special.

19-6, 3.63 ERA last year in his first full year in the majors. Not to shabby.

oeo
04-27-2007, 11:28 PM
19-6, 3.63 ERA last year in his first full year in the majors. Not to shabby.

Wang is one guy, surprisingly, that does not get a lot of attention. He's pretty solid, though.

Tragg
04-27-2007, 11:32 PM
The Yankees don't bother me. I usually root for them if the Sox aren't in the playoffs.
Last year I couldn't watch the playoffs at all - but there's no way I'd have rooted for Detroit - wasn't going to happen. And I for sure wasn't going to root for Oakland. So that left Minny or New York and it wasn't going to be the Twins.

chisoxmike
04-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I hate the Red Sox more.

oeo
04-27-2007, 11:38 PM
I hate the Red Sox more.

I agree. I was going to post this earlier, but I thought I would be bombarded; glad to see someone agrees with me. The Yankees really don't bother me that much. I can't stand two guys on that team: Jeter and Giambi, but the rest are fine with me. :dunno:

lumpyspun
04-27-2007, 11:46 PM
I agree. I was going to post this earlier, but I thought I would be bombarded; glad to see someone agrees with me. The Yankees really don't bother me that much. I can't stand two guys on that team: Jeter and Giambi, but the rest are fine with me. :dunno:

You guys aren't the only ones. I lived in NY for a few years and don't mind the yanks, I hate the Red Sox.

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2007, 11:47 PM
The Yankees don't bother me. I usually root for them if the Sox aren't in the playoffs.
Last year I couldn't watch the playoffs at all - but there's no way I'd have rooted for Detroit - wasn't going to happen. And I for sure wasn't going to root for Oakland. So that left Minny or New York and it wasn't going to be the Twins.

I hate the Red Sox more.

I agree. I was going to post this earlier, but I thought I would be bombarded; glad to see someone agrees with me. The Yankees really don't bother me that much. I can't stand two guys on that team: Jeter and Giambi, but the rest are fine with me. :dunno:How the world changes. Sox fans of "a certain age" had their dreams smashed into the dirt year after year after year by the Evil Empire that is the NY Yankees. I'll never be able to put that hatred behind me.

chisoxmike
04-27-2007, 11:49 PM
How the world changes. Sox fans of "a certain age" had their dreams smashed into the dirt year after year after year by the Evil Empire that is the NY Yankees. I'll never be able to put that hatred behind me.

That is like my hate for the Twins. The Twins are my most hated team in all of sports. Mainly because they always beat us. (Except for 2005) I know the history of the Sox & Yankees, and I remember a article in the 2003 Sun-Times talking about the long history of the Yankees killing the Sox.

Don't get me wrong... I don't like the Yankees whatsoever, I just can not stand the Red Sox and "Red Sox love." They act like they win their division and the Series every year. Their fans bitch and bitch about the Yankees when they are The Yankees II. At least I have some respect for the Yankees. They go out every season and win the division. They're winners. The Red Sox are not.

oeo
04-27-2007, 11:53 PM
How the world changes. Sox fans of "a certain age" had their dreams smashed into the dirt year after year after year by the Evil Empire that is the NY Yankees. I'll never be able to put that hatred behind me.

Every generation has their differences; this is just another example. There's no real reason for me to hate the Yankees (I still dislike them, though, but they're not my most hated team). :dunno:

My hate would go more towards the Indians/Twins.

Tragg
04-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Every generation has their differences; this is just another example. There's no real reason for me to hate the Yankees (I still dislike them, though, but they're not my most hated team). :dunno:

My hate would go more towards the Indians/Twins.
Mine too, and I'm getting up there....I turn 50 this summer. But since I've followed the Sox (1967), the Yankees have never knocked us out.
You can add the As to that dislike list for me. 1972 and 1990 still piss me off.

Viva Medias B's
04-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Buster Olney was just on SportsCenter talking about reports that Joe Torre's job may be in jeopardy because George Steinbrenner is not happy with how the Yankees have been playing lately. If the Yankees get swept by the Red Sox this weekend, Olney hinted that the Boss may make a move.

IndianWhiteSox
04-28-2007, 08:40 AM
That is like my hate for the Twins. The Twins are my most hated team in all of sports. Mainly because they always beat us. (Except for 2005) I know the history of the Sox & Yankees, and I remember a article in the 2003 Sun-Times talking about the long history of the Yankees killing the Sox.

Don't get me wrong... I don't like the Yankees whatsoever, I just can not stand the Red Sox and "Red Sox love." They act like they win their division and the Series every year. Their fans bitch and bitch about the Yankees when they are The Yankees II. At least I have some respect for the Yankees. They go out every season and win the division. They're winners. The Red Sox are not.

I agree.
:cool:

Fenway
04-28-2007, 08:48 AM
They're winners. The Red Sox are not.

ummm how many World Series have the Yankees won in the 21st Century?????

But there is a subplot in NY that is sitting like the elephant in the room.

Who IS running the Yankees????

The NY media (especially the Times) has been hinting that George is suffering from early Alzheimer's which is truly sad. Now Steinbrenner had said that his son-in-law would take over but now that he is about to be divorced from the family that isn't going to happen.

Does Cashman have carte blanche to do something, anything right now?

The NY papers are BRUTAL this morning

JOE IN JEOPARDY AS YANKS BOMB (http://www.nypost.com/seven/04282007/sports/yankees/joe_in_jeopardy_as_yanks_bomb_yankees_george_king. htm)

Bronx tale is getting stale (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/28/2007-04-28_bronx_tale_is_getting_stale-3.html)

Derek Jeter says it's not time to push the panic button yet, but after taking another beating at the hands of the Red Sox last night at the Stadium, the Yankees have plenty to worry about. ... more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/28/2007-04-28_bronx_tale_is_getting_stale-3.html) +

Bombers now a no-fight club (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/28/2007-04-28_bombers_now_a_nofight_club.html)

John Harper: The Yankees didn't just lose last night, the Red Sox embarrassed them in their own Stadium, to the point where fans mocked them with cheers when they finally got three outs in the ninth inning. ... more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/28/2007-04-28_bombers_now_a_nofight_club.html) +
Boston bats pick up Dice (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/28/2007-04-28_boston_bats_pick_up_dice.html)

The ace the Red Sox added did not have a spectacular start last night. David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez combined for only two RBI. And the team made two errors. ... more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/28/2007-04-28_boston_bats_pick_up_dice.html) +
A cruel month for the Yanks (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/28/2007-04-28_it_has_been_the_cruelest_month_for_yanks-1.html)

Mike Lupica: The last time the Yankees lost seven games in a row in April was April of 1989, when Andy Hawkins was their ace and Alvaro Espinoza was their shortstop. ... more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/04/28/2007-04-28_it_has_been_the_cruelest_month_for_yanks-1.html)

Scottiehaswheels
04-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Wonder if Yank fans will boo everyone and not just A-Rod now?

Fenway
04-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Wonder if Yank fans will boo everyone and not just A-Rod now?

It was stunning when Mariano Rivera left the mound in the 9th

DEAD SILENCE even the Boston fans in the Stadium couldn't believe what they were seeing.

The Yankees don't have a single save yet.....

Paulwny
04-28-2007, 09:09 AM

Yep, kinda hard to see sox fans rooting for the yankmees after all the sox 2nd place finishes in the 50's.
ANYONE BUT THE YANKMEES !

Fenway
04-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Yep, kinda hard to see sox fans rooting for the yankmees after all the sox 2nd place finishes in the 50's.
ANYONE BUT THE YANKMEES !

The good people of Buffalo helped the Yankees lose last night by stealing Ronan Tynan away to sing at the hockey game :tongue:

Fenway
04-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Yankees fans are desperate they let a White Sox fan start the game thread :tongue:

Man, you know it's really bad when non-Yankee fans are commiserating with us. If it works, you can do it anytime chisox

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=103126

04-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh my! The first pitch of the Yankee/Red Sox game got lined off SP - Jeff Karstens leg. Things really looking bad for the Yankees.

That looked bad so I hope he is ok. He is staying in the game.

jabrch
04-28-2007, 03:07 PM
You guys aren't the only ones. I lived in NY for a few years and don't mind the yanks, I hate the Red Sox.

Me too...

Fenway
04-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh my! The first pitch of the Yankee/Red Sox game got lined off SP - Jeff Karstens leg. Things really looking bad for the Yankees.

That looked bad so I hope he is ok. He is staying in the game.

Igawa in now got Ortiz to hit into a DP

Fenway
04-28-2007, 03:28 PM
A-Rod strikes out with 2 on ( and a hit and run on ) double play

crowd booing loudly :tongue:

DrewSox56
04-28-2007, 03:40 PM

You can add me to that sentiment too. I absolutely abhor the Yankees. Their fans are the worst "baseball" people in the world to deal with. They are taught to say "26 Rings" in reply to every chink you point out in their armor.

To see their consistent arrogance and lack of attention to player development and splurge spending on veterans backfire, particularly in respect to pitching, is an absolute joy for me to see.

I hope they finish dead last; with a July deadline pickup of Roger Clemens.

PaulDrake
04-28-2007, 05:24 PM
The Yankees are in trouble not only for this year, but for the years to come I'm getting sad thinking about it.

Fenway
05-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Jason Stark offers some nuggets

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2855072

Only one Yankees team in history has ever entered May this many games out and then come back to finish first. And while it may seem encouraging to know that happened just two years ago -- when they emerged from April at 10-14, 6 out -- the bad news is, the team they trailed then was the Orioles, not the Red Sox.

So when was the last time the Yankees were this far behind Boston after April? How about 1912, when they started out 2-10 (while the Red Sox went 9-4). And how did that season turn out? The Red Sox won 105 games and won the World Series. The Yankees lost 102 -- and finished 55 games out of first.
Finally, George Steinbrenner will really be ecstatic to learn that the 1979 Pirates are still the only team since 1935 to lurch out of April more than three games under .500 and survive to win a World Series.

I think Torre is under a very short leash. The key to NYY's season maybe coming in about 2 weeks.

After the Yankees leave USCF they have 3 at Shea and then 3 at home with Boston. If they falter then THEY ARE DONE