PDA

View Full Version : Thursday's game is cancelled

CHISOXFAN13
04-26-2007, 02:58 PM
per a very reliable source.

This is probably best for the Sox as it gives them an extra day to rest some of these nagging injuries.

itsnotrequired
04-26-2007, 03:00 PM

This is probably best for the Sox as it gives them an extra day to rest some of these nagging injuries.

I love "very reliable sources".

twentywontowin
04-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I'll believe it when I see the official word. The rain should be through here for the most part shortly.

jenn2080
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM

do you got a link or something?

Rowandws33
who is that "reliable source"???

FielderJones
I'd feel a whole lot more confident in your assertion if this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cws) was your reliable source.

Kilroy
04-26-2007, 03:03 PM
I just heard it on the flagship. I think they said it'll be made up in a DBLHDR in July.

skottyj242
04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
My dad just told me that too but I won't do anything until I see it on the website.

Dan Mega
04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
:(: Noooooooooooo!

I was looking forward to watching it.

CHISOXFAN13
04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I'd feel a whole lot more confident in your assertion if this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cws) was your reliable source.

My source works for the Sox. There is no link yet, so I tried to give people some advance warning.

jenn2080
Email will be sent shortly

Jenn-

Yes it is. Look for an email soon.

Sincerely,

Rob Boaz
Chicago White Sox
Account Executive
Phone 312.674.5166
rboaz@chisox.com

Is tonights game cancelled?

HotelWhiteSox
Good thing the Bulls aren't scheduled tonight

roylestillman
Just got the e-mail from my rep. Tonight's game is postponed

itsnotrequired
Blammo

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070426sox,1,7393208.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Kilroy
04-26-2007, 03:07 PM
The Sox website shows it as PPD now.

skottyj242
04-26-2007, 03:08 PM
What the hell am I going to do for dinner now? Skyride anyone?

jdm2662
04-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, I did have plans already prior to scoring tickets the other day. So, it won't be a complete waste of the day...

kevingrt
04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
It was inevitable that one of these two games we played versus Detroit would get rained out. Why because i said so.

son of a ____

Hitmen77
I hope this gives our guys a much needed break and that we're all ready to pound the Angels starting on Friday night. By the way, the weather for the Angels series will be summer-like. :bandance:

There are going to be ALOT of make up doubleheaders later this year in MLB. I hope having this game put off until July means that we get to play this game at full strength with Pods back and Toby Hall back too (and, of course, no new injuries).

DaBears
DAMN! I picked the wrong game to miss yesterday! I was tired and didnt go, assuming I would be there for the other 4 games this weekend, now today gets cancelled:(: ...and I'm not tires, go figure:angry:

QCIASOXFAN
04-26-2007, 03:12 PM
****ing only night this week I can watch the game!:angry:

Jerko
04-26-2007, 03:13 PM
I just heard it on the flagship. I think they said it'll be made up in a DBLHDR in July.

There IS a 1:05 game July 26. DH that day even though it's getaway day for the Tigers???

twentywontowin
04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Well there goes all my fancy weather predictions. :(:

Hitmen77
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm assuming this means the pitchers going for the Angels series will now be Contreras (Fri.), Garland (Sat.), and Buehrle (Sun.).

Iwritecode
04-26-2007, 03:18 PM
...and I'm not tires, go figure:angry:

This guy is tires:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:N3X2Qo6q4Gus9M:http://www.signprint.co.uk/catalog/images/autographic78.jpg

:)

stl_sox_fan
04-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I hope this gives our guys a much needed break and that we're all ready to pound the Angels starting on Friday night.

The bullpen will probably be doing once-a-week rain dances to get some rest this season. Bullpen has 35% of innings pitched so far(approx 3 innings per game). That seem a bit high?

Madvora
04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I hope this gives our guys a much needed break
Yeah, we kind of got lucky the last time this happened when our bullpen was was wiped out. Good thing to keep a game off the schedule while Dye and Thome aren't 100%

FielderJones
04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm assuming this means the pitchers going for the Angels series will now be Contreras (Fri.), Garland (Sat.), and Buehrle (Sun.).

I hope not. I'm going Saturday and I'd rather see Buehrle than Garland.

cheeses_h_rice
04-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I wonder if I can magically teleport the beer I bought for the tailgate into Jose's refrigerator at home, so that I don't have to bring it home with me and be tempted into drinking it all myself.

:(:

StillMissOzzie
04-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Damn it ! These were my SoxFest free game tickets! :angry:
What are my chances of getting 1st row in the UD now?
And, can I exchange these free ducats for ANY future game or am I just SOL?

SMO
:angry: :whiner:

sox1970
04-26-2007, 03:30 PM

That would be a good assumption.

They need to skip Danks. Nothing against the kid, but if he's the 5th starter, he should be treated as such. Too many off days coming up not to skip someone.

spiffie
04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
The bullpen will probably be doing once-a-week rain dances to get some rest this season. Bullpen has 35% of innings pitched so far(approx 3 innings per game). That seem a bit high?
I would guess the nightmare that was the opening series probably still has those numbers skewed a bit high. Considering the first three games our pen had to pitch 20 1/3 out of 27 possible innings, that is going to make the numbers look really bad for a while.

Soxfanspcu11
04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
This pisses me off something royal!!!:angry:

I understand that it is raining out, I'm not a moron. But I looked at the radar and this storm system has PLENTY of breaks in it.

Meaning, it prolly would have rained off and on all night. They most certainly could have gotten the game in.

I dunno, i understand where they are coming from, but it just pisses me off because I have had a VERY hectic and ****ty weak and I was really looking forward to unwinding at the park tonight!

I already missed yesterdays game because I had class that I could not miss because we had a test. And now this!!!:angry:

Damn! What the hell am I going to do now?!?!?! I've got to find something to do, I can't just sit around the house. I would probably explode just sitting here after the week that I have had.

Anyone have any suggestions??

rocky biddle
04-26-2007, 03:36 PM

I understand that it is raining out, I'm not a moron. But I looked at the radar and this storm system has PLENTY of breaks in it.

Meaning, it prolly would have rained off and on all night. They most certainly could have gotten the game in.

I dunno, i understand where they are coming from, but it just pisses me off because I have had a VERY hectic and ****ty weak and I was really looking forward to unwinding at the park tonight!

I already missed yesterdays game because I had class that I could not miss because we had a test. And now this!!!:angry:

Damn! What the hell am I going to do now?!?!?! I've got to find something to do, I can't just sit around the house. I would probably explode just sitting here after the week that I have had.

Golden Tee at the naked lady bar. Sounds like you need it.

SBSoxFan
04-26-2007, 03:39 PM

study?

Jerko
04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
And not ONE person apologized for doubting chisoxfan13? tsk tsk.

oeo
04-26-2007, 03:46 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been raining in Chicago pretty much the last two days. Whether it was going to stop raining or not, I'm sure the field has a ton of moisture.

Harry Potter
04-26-2007, 03:50 PM

hit the bottle ?

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Damn, the twinks and the tribe already won today.

MDF3530
04-26-2007, 03:55 PM

Meaning, it prolly would have rained off and on all night. They most certainly could have gotten the game in.Yeah, and finished it about quarter to one in the morning.

NoNeckEra
04-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Both teams have a logical makeup date available Monday, May 7th, as the Sox will have finished a weekend series at Anaheim, waiting to play Tuesday, May 8th at MIN, and the Tigers are finishing a weekend series at KC with a home series beginning Tuesday the 8th.

My season ticket cancellation email hinted it wouldn't be part of a doubleheader, so this is my take on the situation.

sox1970
04-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Both teams have a logical makeup date available Monday, May 7th, as the Sox will have finished a weekend series at Anaheim, waiting to play Tuesday, May 8th at MIN, and the Tigers are finishing a weekend series at KC with a home series beginning Tuesday the 8th.

My season ticket cancellation email hinted it wouldn't be part of a doubleheader, so this is my take on the situation.

Sounds reasonable to me. Better than a double header in July. The schedule after the break is tough enough.

CHISOXFAN13
04-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Day-night doubleheader on July 24.

twentywontowin
04-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Fantastic, a Tuesday afternoon.

Who is the moron who schedules these things? We're not Cubs fans who miss work for baseball games.

jenn2080
04-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Yeah no kidding. I am already missing the Minn game since it was moved to a Friday day game.

Law11
04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Bolingbrook had reported Tornado Touchdown
per Channel 7 at 4pm..

CHISOXFAN13
04-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah no kidding. I am already missing the Minn game since it was moved to a Friday day game.

I certainly msis the traditional doubleheaders. That's going to be one hell of a five-game series.

NoNeckEra
04-26-2007, 04:12 PM
I certainly msis the traditional doubleheaders. That's going to be one hell of a five-game series.
Traditional doubleheaders went out with the traditional $10 million payrolls.

JB98
04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Good. Make this game up in July when Pods, Thome and Dye are all healthy. (Fingers crossed.)

Another day of rest for Mac and Jenks too. Having pitched five times in the last week, they need it.

soxwon
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
My source works for the Sox. There is no link yet, so I tried to give people some advance warning.

at 3pm today, i was feed up cause i had a rough day at work
so i decide ill take myself to the game.
so i call the box office and they say its canceled, damn i cant catch a break.

russ99
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Bummer. The makeup game is on the day after a night game I'm going to. That sucks. Maybe I can call in sick that day and make it 3 games in 1.5 days.

:D:

The other thing that stinks about tonight is that my brother already left to meet me and I can't reach him. At least he's coming to my apartment and not the ballpark.

MDF3530
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Good. Make this game up in July when Pods, Thome and Dye are all healthy. (Fingers crossed.)Don't forget to knock on wood :redneck .

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't understand these 2 game series's. Should be 3 or 4.

MDF3530
04-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't understand these 2 game series's. Should be 3 or 4.Don't ask me to try to get into Bud Selig's head. The guy's an idiot.

sox1970
04-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Don't ask me to try to get into Bud Selig's head. The guy's an idiot.

Yes, Bud Selig invented 2-game series. He's also responsible for the bees disappearing off the face of the earth.

CLR01
04-26-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't understand these 2 game series's. Should be 3 or 4.

I don't understand calling a game when it looks like most of the weather will be clear of the stadium an hour and a half before the first pitch.

chisoxmike
04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't understand calling a game when it looks like most of the weather will be clear of the stadium an hour and a half before the first pitch.

Yeah, real chicken **** move. The Tigers probably didn't want to leave Chicago late tonight if it rains for a hour later tonight. Poor them.

I'm looking out my office window and the sun is out. ***?

jenn2080
04-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah, real chicken **** move. The Tigers probably didn't want to leave Chicago late tonight if it rains for a hour later tonight. Poor them.

There is bad weather west heading this way and it is crappy over the lake.

twentywontowin
04-26-2007, 04:51 PM

Check the radar again. We'll be lucky if it rains again within the next six hours.

chisoxmike
04-26-2007, 04:51 PM

****, and thats where I'm heading in two minutes when I walk out the door.

JB98
04-26-2007, 04:53 PM

I think it's more a matter of the Sox not wanting to field their 'B' lineup against the Tigers again, especially with wet conditions and no less than four players on the rosters already injured.

MDF3530
04-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Just got the email from the Sox: Tonight's game between the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers has been postponed due to inclement weather forecast for tonight. The game will be re-scheduled on a date to be determined. Fans should retain their tickets and parking for tonight's postponed contest until a decision has been announced regarding the re-scheduled game.

MDF3530
04-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Here's the weather forecast for tonight from the National Weather Service:Late Afternoon: Occasional showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 54. Northeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Tonight: Showers likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 43. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%Source: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Chicago&state=IL&site=LOT

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2007, 05:01 PM
The airports are in a total meltdown mode. AA alone has 115 ORD cancellations. The Tigers mights have to take a bus home tonight.

MDF3530
04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
The airports are in a total meltdown mode. AA alone has 115 ORD cancellations. The Tigers mights have to take a bus home tonight.
Gee, I wonder what the lead story on the news tonight is gonna be :rolleyes: :redneck ?

WhiteSox5187
04-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't mean to be cynical here, but tonight's cancellation I think has more to do with Thome, Dye and now Mackowiak being hurt than it does with the rain. The sun is starting to peak through right now and I'm willing to bet they could have gotten five innings in, but that would have meant using the junior varsity lineup again and I don't think the Sox were too eager to do that.

roylestillman
04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Check the radar again. We'll be lucky if it rains again within the next six hours.

The hell with Skilling. I now think twentywontowin has this weather thing down. Its a hell of a lot better out right now than last night and the radar is clearing up to the south and west.

I claim shenanigans. This was an excuse to get the outfielders back in shape.

I like the move....

Gosox1917
04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Just a few small thunderstorms that are well south of the ballpark right now. It's sunny and beautiful here in Valpo. Tornadoes around the LaPorte area. This is a terrible call by the White Sox to cancel the game. I hope it pours on the cell tonight just so I'm wrong. I'm only upset because I was going. Stupid weather.

CLR01
04-26-2007, 05:22 PM
The sun is starting to peak through right now and I'm willing to bet they could have gotten five innings in

They could probably get 15 innings in if they wanted. They jumped the gun on this one. Radar as of 5:10:

soxfan43
04-26-2007, 05:23 PM
There are blue skies and sunshine peeking through in the downtown area, I can see the Cell from my offfice. Looks like the cancellation was a bit premature.

WhiteSox5187
04-26-2007, 05:27 PM
There are blue skies and sunshine peeking through in the downtown area, I can see the Cell from my offfice. Looks like the cancellation was a bit premature.
No, the game was called because they are pretty banged up. They weren't going to waste anytime calling this one.

pagansoxfan
04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
i agree that calling the game due to weather was a mistake. the radar is cleaning uop. the only thing i wonder is with the sun out, if it will reunstableize the air, gtriggering more storms later. all the tv reports say the severe stuff won't hit us. either way, time to get ready for the angels.

CLR01
04-26-2007, 05:39 PM
i agree that calling the game due to weather was a mistake. the radar is cleaning uop. the only thing i wonder is with the sun out, if it will reunstableize the air, gtriggering more storms later. all the tv reports say the severe stuff won't hit us. either way, time to get ready for the angels.

It looks like the line has already moved well into Indiana and Michigan. I doubt anything else fires up the rest of the night.

cbone
04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Firing up the Weber and prepping the steaks for the grill. It's beautiful out. Looks like Planet Earth on Demand instead, I missed the last 2 episodes.

twentywontowin
04-26-2007, 06:10 PM
The hell with Skilling. I now think twentywontowin has this weather thing down. Its a hell of a lot better out right now than last night and the radar is clearing up to the south and west.

I claim shenanigans. This was an excuse to get the outfielders back in shape.

I like the move....

Check the weather thread, I've been calling it all afternoon. Doesn't take a genius to figure out which way storms are going to move and how daytime heating and cooling affects storm patterns.

If it gets the team a day of rest, fine, but I'm still pissed off because I had tickets.

Foulke You
04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
No, the game was called because they are pretty banged up. They weren't going to waste anytime calling this one.
Don't forget, they can also get 35,000-40,000 in attendance for a mid-summer make up game against the rival Tigers rather than the 25,000 with no-shows they would have gotten at soggy US Cellular Field tonite.

FarWestChicago
04-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Damnit, this was just another ploy by KW and Ozzie to cheat BA out of plate appearances! :angry:

delben91
04-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Damnit, this was just another ploy by KW and Ozzie to cheat BA out of plate appearances! :angry:

It's about damn time you jumped on the conspiracy theory bandwagon FWC!

Want to drive for a bit? :D:

JB98
04-26-2007, 07:10 PM

I knew we'd find a way to work BA into this thread. :D:

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't mean to be cynical here, but tonight's cancellation I think has more to do with Thome, Dye and now Mackowiak being hurt than it does with the rain. The sun is starting to peak through right now and I'm willing to bet they could have gotten five innings in, but that would have meant using the junior varsity lineup again and I don't think the Sox were too eager to do that.

I agree with that. I mean, the email I got stated the reason was due to "inclement conditions." No kidding! Even though last night was even colder than tonight (and it actually was raining during the game), AND it was even worse temperaturewise last week Wednesday (Buehrle's no-hitter).

Hopefully we'll have a REAL lineup tomorrow night!

HotelWhiteSox
04-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Kind of cheap, just make a damn roster move

Brian26
04-26-2007, 09:20 PM
It's been raining for almost two straight days, the field is a mess, 10,000 people showed up last night, and the team is banged up. I say it was a wise business decision to call the game.

Oblong
04-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I was ticked at first because I thought it was gamemanship but the more I think about it, it makes sense. The Sox may have even asked the Tigers what they prefer. Detroit had a crappy 4 game 2 series road trip where they left Sunday evening for Anaheim, played there for 2 games, then flew to Chicago. Better to get home early in the evening on Thursday instead of finally getting into bed around 3-4 am EST Friday morning once you factor in any delays and travel time. The teams play each other enough that a more suitable makeup can be played under good conditions.

ws05champs
04-26-2007, 10:43 PM
I was at yesterday's game and it was absolutely ridiculous that a ball game should be played in that kind of weather. Don't know exactly what the temperature was, my guess is lower 40's with a pretty still breeze and drizzle. I'm sure it was even more miserable for the players and not to mention the possibility of slipping and getting hurt on a wet field. Good thing they had the wisdom to cancel tonight's game.

CLR01
04-26-2007, 10:57 PM
It's been raining for almost two straight days, the field is a mess,

The field was fine, it is designed to drain massive amounts of water in a short period of time. Bossard has said in the past that it can take two inches of rain and be ready to play on a half hour later. It does its job so well that he has worked with about 10 other major league teams redesigning their fields.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-26-2007, 10:59 PM
I was at yesterday's game and it was absolutely ridiculous that a ball game should be played in that kind of weather. Don't know exactly what the temperature was, my guess is lower 40's with a pretty still breeze and drizzle. I'm sure it was even more miserable for the players and not to mention the possibility of slipping and getting hurt on a wet field. Good thing they had the wisdom to cancel tonight's game.

Tonight was upper 40s; they could have and should have played.

ewokpelts
04-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Don't ask me to try to get into Bud Selig's head. The guy's an idiot.this was done to elminate the tuesday getaway games . also to let teams have 4 game series after the all star break, instead of having a thurs-sat series, with another team coming in on sunday.

ewokpelts
04-27-2007, 01:49 AM
Don't forget, they can also get 35,000-40,000 in attendance for a mid-summer make up game against the rival Tigers rather than the 25,000 with no-shows they would have gotten at soggy US Cellular Field tonite.

:reinsy

Straight Tippin'