PDA

View Full Version : Danks bad luck. (for the superstitious fans)

JermaineDye05
04-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Now seeing as we're all baseball fans here an I'm sure most if not all of us are pretty superstitious. Now I may be wrong here but I believe it's the pitchers choice to choose the uniforms we wear for the game. So far in each of his starts he's chosen the black uniforms and each time he's either gotten no run support or a ridiculous play (pop up to Juan) to lose the game. Anyone else feel it's time for a change of color for John? This thread will probably end up in the Roadhouse, but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

sox1970
04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
I think the Sox should wear white at home and gray on the road. Period.

jenn2080
04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
:threadblows:

sox1970
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
:threadblows:

that too...

Dibbs
04-26-2007, 12:29 PM

I agree 100%.

JermaineDye05
04-26-2007, 12:30 PM

I actually prefer the white uni with the black sleeves to the all white uni's but that's just me.

eriqjaffe
04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Now I may be wrong here but I believe it's the pitchers choice to choose the uniforms we wear for the game. So far in each of his starts he's chosen the black uniforms and each time he's either gotten no run support or a ridiculous play (pop up to Juan) to lose the game. The Sox have tended to wear the same uniform as long as they keep winning. Tonight, I guarantee, they will be wearing either their regular home jersey or the sleeveless jersey.

I think the starting pitcher usually chooses, but I can't recall a time in recent history when the Sox switched jerseys while on a winning streak.

But, well, I guess it's still superstitious, just not Danks-related.

Tannerfan
04-26-2007, 12:42 PM

YES YES YES YES, YES YES YES.

Jerko
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I like having 4 unis. They all look good IMO and I enjoy seeing them.

TDog
04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
I like having 4 unis. They all look good IMO and I enjoy seeing them.

This might be a little off topic, because I don't believe Danks' uniform had anything to do with the Sox losing. I support Danks whenever he pitches, just as I pull for both Brian Anderson and Darin Erstad whenever they play. But I don't understand why fans around here are so enthusiastic about Danks. He's winless with an ERA over 5.

Some quarters might define that as a fifth-starter problem.

Jerko
04-26-2007, 01:26 PM
This might be a little off topic, because I don't believe Danks' uniform had anything to do with the Sox losing. I support Danks whenever he pitches, just as I pull for both Brian Anderson and Darin Erstad whenever they play. But I don't understand why fans around here are so enthusiastic about Danks. He's winless with an ERA over 5.

I WAS gonna say something about the fifth starter being winless, but so is the 2 starter so far. Plus, his (Danks') first start WAS against Santana, who could beat the Sox after a 39 game losing streak.

WhiteSox5187
04-26-2007, 01:29 PM

Well...that is true, but I also think that some of it is just hard luck. He got hit hard in the first yesterday but then settled down. Uribe's pop up gaffe cost him a couple of runs on his ERA but that should have been an error. His biggest problem is that he gets behind in counts a whole lot. He's kept us in every ball game he's pitched and that's really all you can ask out of a fifth starter.

TDog
04-26-2007, 01:33 PM
I WAS gonna say something about the fifth starter being winless, but so is the 2 starter so far. Plus, his (Danks') first start WAS against Santana, who could beat the Sox after a 39 game losing streak.

The No. 2 starter has a major league track record. Danks is a rookie. As I wrote, I support him, but I wonder how long the support for him around here will continue.

It's just odd why some players seem to be as popular as they are when others are not.

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2007, 01:38 PM
The biggest problem Danks has with the uniform of the day is keeping it tucked in. :o:

mcfish
04-26-2007, 01:59 PM
It doesn't really matter what his ERA is if the offense can only put up 2 runs for him total in 4 outings. You can't expect him to get wins with that kind of run support. He's both rookie and 5th starter. All I ask from him is to keep us in games and show improvement through the year. He has exceeded my expectations so far in keeping us in games; we'll see how he progresses as the year goes on.

JermaineDye05
04-26-2007, 02:03 PM
The biggest problem Danks has with the uniform of the day is keeping it tucked in. :o:

Ha, that was hilarious last night. Could he get fined for that or no?

Iwritecode
04-26-2007, 02:06 PM

People that only look at stats and don't actually watch the games might condsider it a problem.

He's pitched well enough to get a win every time out. The problem is the offense has given him a total of 2 runs of support in 22 innings. He's certainly been better than the "revolving door" of fifth starters we had a few years ago.

hi im skot
04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
People that only look at stats and don't actually watch the games might condsider it a problem.

He's pitched well enough to get a win every time out. The problem is the offense has given him a total of 2 runs of support in 22 innings.

Word.

oeo
04-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Watch the games and you'd see that he's kept us in every game he's pitched. He's a rookie, and if you expected anything better than an ERA over 5 you were dreaming. Did you expect him to pitch like an ace?

I honestly hope that you're kidding; please tell me you are.

maurice
04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I agree that Danks ERA doesn't tell the whole story, and it's not just the run support issue.

If you didn't watch the games, you'd miss the runs he "earned" on the Uribe-Mack-Erstad popup fiasco, the 3 ER in the 1st inning last night that essentially were the result of 4 ground balls, the runs in the 1st Twins start that all came in a 3-batter sequence, etc.

I absolutely love the way that he bounces back from adversity, instead of completely falling apart after a 3-R inning.