PDA

View Full Version : Skip Danks?

sox1970
04-26-2007, 11:17 AM
According to my schedule, the Sox don't need a 5th starter until May 12. I'm not down on Danks at all. He's looked good and had a lot of bad luck. But he is 22 and not used to pitching 6 months straight--and hopefully 7 months. I think it would be a good to put him in the bullpen next week. Keep him fresh, so he's getting the job done in September.

CHISOXFAN13
04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
According to my schedule, the Sox don't need a 5th starter until May 12. I'm not down on Danks at all. He's looked good and had a lot of bad luck. But he is 22 and not used to pitching 6 months straight--and hopefully 7 months. I think it would be a good to put him in the bullpen next week. Keep him fresh, so he's getting the job done in September.

I'd rather have the other four starters fresh in September this year.

sox1970
04-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I'd rather have the other four starters fresh in September this year.

The other four wouldn't be pitching on short rest. I think they pay these four a lot of money to produce the wins. I think this would be a good time to take the bulk of the workload.

Whitesox029
04-26-2007, 11:31 AM
We're not losing these games because of Danks. He hasn't had what I would consider a terrible outing that puts us too far behind to win a game. So he gave up 4 runs yesterday, so what? Contreras gave up 4 in the 1st to Detroit and we won that game. Garland gave up 3 in the 1st to Detroit and we would have won that game if not for Aardsma's blown save. Should we skip them too?

sox1970
04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
We're not losing these games because of Danks. He hasn't had what I would consider a terrible outing that puts us too far behind to win a game. So he gave up 4 runs yesterday, so what? Contreras gave up 4 in the 1st to Detroit and we won that game. Garland gave up 3 in the 1st to Detroit and we would have won that game if not for Aardsma's blown save. Should we skip them too?

No. That was my point.

Danks pitched 149 and 156 innings the last two years. I think it would be a little tough to have him pitch 190 innings this season. With a little break in the schedule, why not hold him back?

Jerko
04-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I would have skipped him today if yesterday got rained out. Not so much because of him but it would have been Jose's regular day anyway.

JB98
04-26-2007, 12:07 PM
I'd continue to pitch him. He's doing a credible job, and his veteran teammates are screwing him over by not playing well on the day he pitches. Leave him in the rotation, demonstrate that we have confidence in him.

PatK
04-26-2007, 12:07 PM
How many runs have our guys scored in his starts, 2?

jenn2080
04-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Why skip him? Other than that awesome first inning yesterday, he has pitched pretty good. It is not his fault that the offense missed the bus during his outings.

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Keep the rotation as is. Maybe put in something a little better than a spring training line-up when he pitches might be good also.

jabrch
04-26-2007, 12:45 PM
There is no reason to be skipping Danks. He's been very effective.

schmitty9800
04-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Extra day of rest, I'd say maybe.

Skipping a start and getting his rhythm all screwed up by having to pitch out of the bullpen, I'd say no. Especially considering the starter fatigue that took a toll last year.

KyWhiSoxFan
04-26-2007, 01:34 PM
I think they should skip his start. He's only 22 and the Sox have said they want to watch the number of innings he pitches this year. It is best to skip him when there is an obvious chance in the schedule.

ondafarm
04-26-2007, 01:52 PM
I'd say skip him. He is just 22 and could probably use the break. Better to get the big 4 onto their regular 5 day rest.

sox1970
04-26-2007, 03:28 PM
So now with the rainout tonight, if they don't skip anyone and they don't get rained out anymore, the rotation is setup for Vazquez, Danks, and Contreras in Minnesota. Personally, I want Garland and Buehrle going in that series.

JB98
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
So now with the rainout tonight, if they don't skip anyone and they don't get rained out anymore, the rotation is setup for Vazquez, Danks, and Contreras in Minnesota. Personally, I want Garland and Buehrle going in that series.

That would be the only reason to change, IMO. If you want a particular matchup against a particular team.

sox1970
05-01-2007, 11:03 AM
I still say it's a bad move not skipping Danks this week. I wouldn't have him start more than 28 games this season. This is the ideal time to skip him.

Now we have the same three starters against the Angels back to back weekends, and Vazquez, Danks, and Contreras set to face Minnesota.

If I'm Ozzie, I do whatever I can with the rotation to get Buehrle against the Twins. He's throwing too well not have him face a division rival.

CLR01
05-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I still say it's a bad move not skipping Danks this week. I wouldn't have him start more than 28 games this season. This is the ideal time to skip him.

Now we have the same three starters against the Angels back to back weekends, and Vazquez, Danks, and Contreras set to face Minnesota.

If I'm Ozzie, I do whatever I can with the rotation to get Buehrle against the Twins. He's throwing too well not have him face a division rival.

You're not Ozzie, you have never managed a major league pitching staff so **** and watch a true genius work. You may learn something.

sox1970
05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
You're not Ozzie, you have never managed a major league pitching staff so **** and watch a true genius work. You may learn something.

Answer me this, tough guy: What's the point of having a #1 starter, a #2 starter, a #5 starter? My opinion is you skip your #5 starter whenever you can. Especially if it's a rookie that hasn't pitched more than 156 innings in a season. I like Danks, but I want the top four doing the bulk of the pitching.

Railsplitter
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
If need be, he can work a couple innings out of the bullpen

sox1970
05-01-2007, 11:14 AM
If need be, he can work a couple innings out of the bullpen

My point exactly.

itsnotrequired
05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Answer me this, tough guy: What's the point of having a #1 starter, a #2 starter, a #5 starter? My opinion is you skip your #5 starter whenever you can. Especially if it's a rookie that hasn't pitched more than 156 innings in a season. I like Danks, but I want the top four doing the bulk of the pitching.

CLR01: Professional Tough Guy

:thumbsup:

:happybday

jabrch
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I'd skip him later in the season, against better competition.

This is a great game for him. Seattle is a pitchers park. The Mariners aren't a particularly patient team. Skip Danks against Boston in Fenway. Skip him when he's up against a team that mashes LHP. Skip him if he has thrown too many innings recently (he's thrown 10.2 IP in his last two starts).

But there's really no reason to skip him @ Seattle against Miguel Batista.

In fact - I'm looking forward to seeing him get the beer shower and the shaving cream pie against Seattle. If I was a betting man, I'd take the Sox today (8.5o and 100) and tomorrow along with the over.

CLR01
05-01-2007, 11:53 AM

How can I answer it? Like you, I am not a pitching coach, I am not a manager, I am not a GM, hell I am not even an owner of a major league baseball team.

I would also like to take this opportunity to inform you all that since nobody here is any of those things or a major league baseball player (openly anyway) we are gong to be closing down all of the baseball forums because none of us are qualified to comment on anything that happens in the game. The parking lot and the Roadhouse forums will remain open so good times can still be had (if you are qualified to discusss the topics being discussed).