PDA

View Full Version : Sockgate

WizardsofOzzie
04-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Seriously, they are still debating this??

The story of Curt Schilling (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4267)'s famous bloody sock from the 2004 playoffs is turning into a bloody mess after a prominent broadcaster claimed one of Schilling's teammates acknowledged the blood wasn't real.
After the game, Mirabelli flatly and angrily denied Thorne's story.

"What? Are you kidding me? He's [expletive] lying. A straight lie," Mirabelli said, according to The Boston Globe. "I never said that. I know it was blood. Everybody knows it was blood."http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2849747&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

wdelaney72
04-26-2007, 09:55 AM
yawn.

Jaffar
04-26-2007, 09:55 AM
I love it and it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL. Why would Thorne just blatantly lie about this and to blatantly lie and say a specific player told him.

MeteorsSox4367
04-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Oh my God! It's the Red Sox! It's the Red Sox! Stop the world from revolving on its axis! Stop the presses!

If this were a pitcher on the Mariners or D-Backs for example, would it be as hyped as it was this morning on ESPN Radio? I don't think so.

Who. Friggin'. Cares.

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Oh my God! It's the Red Sox! It's the Red Sox! Stop the world from revolving on its axis! Stop the presses!

If this were a pitcher on the Mariners or D-Backs for example, would it be as hyped as it was this morning on ESPN Radio? I don't think so.

Who. Friggin'. Cares.

Yes it would ,if they were in the World Series and they did what schilling did.

Steelrod
04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
I believe the HOF has it and can test it to stop the debate!

ewokpelts
04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Yes it would ,if they were in the World Series and they did what shilling did. what? talk about how great he is and how he singlehandedly won the 2004 world series for all of new england?

MeteorsSox4367
04-26-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm not taking anything away from what Schilling did. The guy's a helluva pitcher. My point is that just because it's the Red Sox, this is a hot topic. Were it not one of ESPN's chosen baseball teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers), this story wouldn't receive as much hype.

If Pods hit his HR in the World Series with a bloody sock after surgery would ESPN treat it with so much hype years down the line? I don't think so.

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 10:55 AM
what? talk about how great he is and how he singlehandedly won the 2004 world series for all of new england?

I'm not taking anything away from what Schilling did. The guy's a helluva pitcher. My point is that just because it's the Red Sox, this is a hot topic. Were it not one of ESPN's chosen baseball teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers), this story wouldn't receive as much hype.

If Pods hit his HR in the World Series with a bloody sock after surgery would ESPN treat it with so much hype years down the line? I don't think so.

I think, if it was a different team such as Kansas City and say Meche did what Schilling did, it would be just as big a story. It would also be a big deal if someone came out a few years later and said it was fake blood. IMO

PennStater98r
04-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes it would ,if they were in the World Series and they did what shilling did.

Wait - this guy named Shilling it a sock controversy as well?

itsnotrequired
04-26-2007, 11:00 AM
So is this the Red Sox rant thread of the day? Good to see WSI keeping the streak alive...

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Wait - this guy named Shilling it a sock controversy as well?

oops I hate when I miss letters :tongue:

Fenway
04-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Thorne said on the air, while the Orioles were batting in the fifth, that he'd been told by Sox catcher Doug Mirabelli that was not blood, but paint, on the sock Schilling wore during Game 6 of the 2004 American League Championship Series against the Yankees. It was done for the public relations effect, Thorne said.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/04/26/bloody_mess/

WizardsofOzzie
04-26-2007, 11:46 AM
I beat ya :tongue:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86885

twentywontowin
04-26-2007, 11:47 AM
You're a little behind there, fenway:

04-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Not surprising at all. Especially with the character Schilling is. I thought this in the back of my mind in October 2004.

itsnotrequired
04-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Not surprising at all. Especially with the character Schilling is. I thought this in the back of my mind in October 2004.

The "character" Curt Schilling is? You mean the guy who flew a family of nine that were victims of Katrina to Boston and provided them housing for a year?

:rolleyes:

D. TODD
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I've heard this before and it would not surprise me at all. Schilling is all about his ego and very aware of HIS place is history. If he did exaggerate his injury he did a good job of it, because the media sure enough ran with it for all it's worth. If you want to know how great & tough Schilling is you don't need a stinkin' bloody sock just ask HIM!

Over By There
04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
I understand the disdain for all things Red Sox/Yankees around these parts - I usually feel the same way. But I do agree that this particular issue would be a story regardless of what team was involved. It was a dramatic moment on baseball's biggest stage... dramatic enough that the HOF displays the sock.

I always thought that Thorne was a well-respected broadcaster, although some of the chatter out there this morning disputes that. He certainly isn't backing down from his assertation.

Here's an interesting question. The sock is supposedly on "loan" from Schilling to the HOF, implying that some day it might wind up in different hands. Do you think this piece of "memorabilia" would be worth more if it's blood or paint? :smile:

Irishsox1
04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Just check the sock. There is a pretty big difference between dried paint and dried blood.

However, it doesn't change my view on Shilling. The guy is a jerk.

Jaffar
04-26-2007, 12:38 PM
If it ends up being paint and not blood does schilling get suspended for some kind of foreign substance on his uniform and making them replay the 2004 world series?

Jaffar
04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
However, it doesn't change my view on Shilling.

What is your view on the "Shilling"?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/philip.mcdonald7/1816%20shilling%20obv.jpg

chaerulez
04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
The "character" Curt Schilling is? You mean the guy who flew a family of nine that were victims of Katrina to Boston and provided them housing for a year?

Just like the "character" of former Falcons safety Eugene Robinson who was known for his religious and charity works, but the day before the Super Bowl was arrested for trying to solict a hooker.

Or the "character" of Sammy Sosa who once had a charity foundation but then there was that whole emblezzement thing.

Or the "character" of Mark Chmura who was also involved in a lot of charity work when he was a Green Bay Packer but then was charged with sexual assault involving his 17 year old babysitter. He was found not guilty due to a split jury, but he did admit he acted in a way he shouldn't have. Regardless, he's a hypocrite because he is the same guy that wouldn't shake hands with Clinton because of the Lewinsky thing.

Schilling has always been a me first egomanic with an attitude. He's had a history of problems with teammates and the media. He loves it when people kiss his ass. Screw him, Schilling is a jerk and he did a nice thing, but that doesn't paint the overall picture.

Don't get me wrong, there are many athletes that do nice things for people. Warrick Dunn and Luol Deng come to mind. But they aren't jerks like Schilling.

itsnotrequired
04-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Just like the "character" of former Falcons safety Eugene Robinson who was known for his religious and charity works, but the day before the Super Bowl was arrested for trying to solict a hooker.

Or the "character" of Sammy Sosa who once had a charity foundation but then there was that whole emblezzement thing.

Or the "character" of Mark Chmura who was also involved in a lot of charity work when he was a Green Bay Packer but then was charged with sexual assault involving his 17 year old babysitter. He was found not guilty due to a split jury, but he did admit he acted in a way he shouldn't have. Regardless, he's a hypocrite because he is the same guy that wouldn't shake hands with Clinton because of the Lewinsky thing.

Schilling has always been a me first egomanic with an attitude. He's had a history of problems with teammates and the media. He loves it when people kiss his ass. Screw him, Schilling is a jerk and he did a nice thing, but that doesn't paint the overall picture.

Don't get me wrong, there are many athletes that do nice things for people. Warrick Dunn and Luol Deng come to mind. But they aren't jerks like Schilling.

I didn't realize "being a jerk" was on the same level as soliciting a hooker, embezzlement and questionable dealings with a minor.:redneck

In any event, I'm more annoyed that Mirabelli would say anything and extra annoyed that Thorne would mention it during a game. And why say something now? Why not last year?

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 12:52 PM

And you know this how?

Irishsox1
04-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I spelled his name wrong on purpose smarty-pants. Shillings are now useless currency and I consider Schilling to be a worthless baseball rep.

Gammons Peter
04-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Blood dries dark, the sock stayed bright red.

Jaffar
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I spelled his name wrong on purpose smarty-pants. Shillings are now useless currency and I consider Schilling to be a worthless baseball rep.

lol, I was just messing with you. I have horrible grammar, especially online so I have no right point out anything but I couldn't help myself although your explanation is a pretty good one.

ewokpelts
04-26-2007, 01:20 PM

:rolleyes:and told EVERYONE about it

DumpJerry
04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Blood dries dark, the sock stayed bright red.
Bingo! It's dark before it dries. Ask any doctor who has worked in a trauma unit or field hospital in a war zone.

chitownhawkfan
04-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Yes it would ,if they were in the World Series and they did what schilling did.

This is pure delusion. ESPN wouldn't give a **** if Gil Meche cut his foot off and pitched. The guys a big mouthed DBag, in a city full of whiny, annoying turds. Let them "cowboy up" and "sock down" all they want. **** Boston, **** ESPN, and **** Curt Schilling.

DumpJerry
04-26-2007, 01:35 PM
This is pure delusion. ESPN wouldn't give a **** if Gil Meche cut his foot off and pitched. The guys a big mouthed DBag, in a city full of whiny, annoying turds. Let them "cowboy up" and "sock down" all they want. **** Boston, **** ESPN, and **** Curt Schilling.
So, I'm assuming you did not put in for that transfer to the Boston office.......:rolleyes:

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM

I think you are delusional my friend. If anybody did what Schilling did on baseballs biggest stage ESPN would give it the same coverage, so stop already. You can hate Boston, ESPN and Schilling all you want. The guy more or less had his tendon stapled to his leg so he could pitch. Hate all you want, it was a gritty performance. And yes again, if someone else did that it would be covered the same.

itsnotrequired
04-26-2007, 02:11 PM
and told EVERYONE about it

Who cares?

ewokpelts
04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Who cares?curt does

AZChiSoxFan
04-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I believe the HOF has it and can test it to stop the debate!

Geraldo Rivera is going to test the sock on live TV, right after he gets done opening Capone's vault.:D:

AZChiSoxFan
04-26-2007, 02:21 PM

Yes, that guy. He also made sure everyone in the world knew he did that. The guy blows more hot air than a steam engine. Plently of ML players perform great acts of generosity. Some do it when the camera's off, others like Schilling make sure the camera's on.

The Racehorse
04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
After the BoSox '04 run in the playoffs, I remember a story somewhere [maybe sportsblab radio] that the whole "idiots" & "cowboy up" attitude was such that Red Sox players even did shots of booze in the clubhouse during one of the games [maybe the WS clincher, or the ALCS clincher... I can't remember].

I don't put anything past anybody, especially pro athletes... sex, drugs, & now paint of the socks, LOL.

My guess is that Mirabelli was talking out his ass as a joke and Thorne was gullible enough to run with it on the air.

AZChiSoxFan
04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
What is your view on the "Shilling"?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/philip.mcdonald7/1816%20shilling%20obv.jpg

:rolling:

chaerulez
04-26-2007, 02:26 PM
And you know this how?

It's called an educated guess/assumption. Without knowing a public figure personally, you can make a decent guess at how they are as people from reading about them through the media or watching them on television. Schilling is an asswipe. I wasn't trying to compare his behavior directly to the other sports figures I mentioned, but to point out I can still call and consider Schilling a huge tool despite the fact he has done nice things for others because doing a few nice things doesn't automatically make you some kind of great person where no one can judge your character.

chitownhawkfan
04-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I think you are delusional my friend. If anybody did what Schilling did on baseballs biggest stage ESPN would give it the same coverage, so stop already. You can hate Boston, ESPN and Schilling all you want. The guy more or less had his tendon stapled to his leg so he could pitch. Hate all you want, it was a gritty performance. And yes again, if someone else did that it would be covered the same.

Ask other people on this board what they think. I cannot remember the last time the Sox-Twinkies game got the first eight minutes of Sportscenter. To try to claim that ESPN is unbiased is insanity.

I probably won't be transfering to Boston, but in reality I've never been there. I don't really hate the city or the people. But I hate ESPN and self important Red Sox fans who think that the rest of us really care about what happens to the Sawx.

oeo
04-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Why is this news? Why do people care about a sock with blood on it?

So he pitched in some pain, big deal; guys do it all the time.

AZChiSoxFan
04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Who cares?

Because I give people no credit for doing nice things for others, when their only reason for doing these acts of kindness is so that everyone will talk about how great they are. Just the way I see it. If you really cared about other people and doing things to help them out, you wouldn't care if anyone knew you did these things.

VenturaFan23
04-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I've been to Cooperstown twice since '05 and it's definitely blood. You can tell by the way it dried up. Let's move on, ESPN.

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Ask other people on this board what they think. I cannot remember the last time the Sox-Twinkies game got the first eight minutes of Sportscenter. To try to claim that ESPN is unbiased is insanity.

Lets see, ask people on this board what they think about ESPN, Thats like going into a Sox convention and asking fans what they think about the Cubs. You already know the answer.

I am, in no way, claiming that ESPN is unbiased in its coverage. All I am saying, in this instance, If it was another player on another team the coverage would be the same.

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 02:43 PM
It's called an educated guess/assumption. Without knowing a public figure personally, you can make a decent guess at how they are as people from reading about them through the media or watching them on television. Schilling is an asswipe. I wasn't trying to compare his behavior directly to the other sports figures I mentioned, but to point out I can still call and consider Schilling a huge tool despite the fact he has done nice things for others because doing a few nice things doesn't automatically make you some kind of great person where no one can judge your character.

Yes true you can make assumptions based on what you read and hear but that is a 2 way street. You can assume others are "decent" people but they might be real asses when they are away from the media.

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Why is this news? Why do people care about a sock with blood on it?

So he pitched in some pain, big deal; guys do it all the time.

Take the "I hate the east coast" blinders off. He pitched with more then just a little pain.

oeo
04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Take the "I hate the east coast" blinders off. He pitched with more then just a little pain.

Why are people always telling me what "blinders" I'm wearing? I'm not wearing any "blinders"; don't tell me my biases.

kevingrt
04-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Who Cares!@!!!!

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Why are people always telling me what "blinders" I'm wearing? I'm not wearing any "blinders"; don't tell me my biases.

Im not telling you, your biases. You are doing it yourself by making it seem like he pitched with a a slightly sprained ankle or something to that affect.

itsnotrequired
04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
My guess is that Mirabelli was talking out his ass as a joke and Thorne was gullible enough to run with it on the air.

Sounds good to me. Talk about rousting up the clubhouse...

soxfan13
04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Sounds good to me. Talk about rousting up the clubhouse...

Me three:tongue:

champagne030
04-26-2007, 03:23 PM

IIRC, he was loaded with painkillers. Probably didn't feel a thing.....

HotelWhiteSox
04-26-2007, 03:50 PM
****ing ESPN, this is all over their site, probably on TV too, how sad. The most shocking thing to me about this story was about how shocked/enraged the Red Sox players/coaches were, who gives a ****?

itsnotrequired
04-26-2007, 04:02 PM
****ing ESPN, this is all over their site, probably on TV too, how sad. The most shocking thing to me about this story was about how shocked/enraged the Red Sox players/coaches were, who gives a ****?

To me, that's the least shocking part of the story. Why wouldn't coaches/players be upset that one teamate calls out another during the season?

chitownhawkfan
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Everybody can go ahead and stop posting, soxfan13 the oracle of objectivity has spoken. HE KNOWS that KC or Tampa would get the same treatment and therefore your pitiful little opinions mean nothing.

chaerulez
04-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Mike Greenberg on his radio show said something along the lines of how everyone should care about this story. I'm all for people having opinions about this, but for someone to actually say "who wouldn't care" is idiotic.

chitownhawkfan
04-26-2007, 05:35 PM
They try to come off as a Chicago radio show, but in the end you can't hide those true Bristol colors.

FireMariotti
04-26-2007, 06:52 PM
They try to come off as a Chicago radio show, but in the end you can't hide those true Bristol colors.

:?: I know that Greenberg is a Chicago guy, but Mike and Mike is a national show.

oeo
04-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Im not telling you, your biases. You are doing it yourself by making it seem like he pitched with a a slightly sprained ankle or something to that affect.

When did I say that? You're the one who told me I said, 'a little pain'. I said he pitched with some pain, big deal...and I still stand by that. It wasn't a courageous effort, he wasn't the only guy that would do that; I don't want to hear it.

soxfan13
04-27-2007, 12:16 PM
When did I say that? You're the one who told me I said, 'a little pain'. I said he pitched with some pain, big deal...and I still stand by that. It wasn't a courageous effort, he wasn't the only guy that would do that; I don't want to hear it.

Guess we will have to wait for someone to have their tendon stapled to their leg(which I guess isnt a big deal) so they can pitch in the World Series.

WizardsofOzzie
04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Curt Schilling (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4267) responded to the controversy over whether his bloody socks were really bloody with a brushback pitch and a $1 million dare.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2851147&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

oeo
04-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Guess we will have to wait for someone to have their tendon stapled to their leg(which I guess isnt a big deal) so they can pitch in the World Series.

There are a ton of guys in Major League Baseball that would have done the same thing. A certain guy that wears #56 for the White Sox comes to mind right away. Curt Schilling is not some courageous beast...he pitched through pain when his team needed him, something a lot of guys would do.

Fenway
04-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I beat ya :tongue:

Even by the nutty standards of Boston this story took a life of its own.

but you will love the first paragraph of Schillings blog today

Ignorance has its privileges (http://38pitches.com/2007/04/27/ignorance-has-its-privileges/)

Apr 27th, 2007 by Curt Schilling (http://38pitches.com/author/cschilling/)

Take Gary Thorne, John, Jack Joe or whatever his first name is, Heyman, Karen Vescey, Woody Paige, CHB, Jay Marriotti, Bill Plaschke, and a host of other people that litter the media landscape, and put them all on an island somewhere.

NFL Draft is tomorrow, Boston plays NYY, Boston has best record in MLB but no...it is all about the stupid SOCK

VIDEO
http://www.boston.com/partners/worldnow/nesn.html?catID=80767&clipid=1394287&autoStart=true&mute=false&continuous=true
http://nesn.images.worldnow.com/images/1394287_vt.jpg (http://www.boston.com/partners/worldnow/nesn.html?catID=80767&clipid=1394287&autoStart=true&mute=false&continuous=true)

Hole in sock story (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/04/27/hole_uncovered_in_sock_story)

Bloody Sock Redux created a national stir yesterday but was treated more with amusement than angst by most of those in uniform. (Todays Globe)

soxfan13
04-27-2007, 03:04 PM
There are a ton of guys in Major League Baseball that would have done the same thing. A certain guy that wears #56 for the White Sox comes to mind right away. Curt Schilling is not some courageous beast...he pitched through pain when his team needed him, something a lot of guys would do.

Name the guys that have had tendons hangin and and stapled up and pitched. Sorry #56 wasnt one of them. He missed a few spring starts with a hairline fracture in his foot. That is alot different then Schilling's injury

jdm2662
04-27-2007, 03:17 PM
:?: I know that Greenberg is a Chicago guy, but Mike and Mike is a national show.

Greenberg is from New York (he's a season ticket holder for the Jets). He went to Northwestern and worked for CLTV for a few years. He usually shows respect for the Chicago teams, but I wouldn't call him a Chicago guy.