PDA

View Full Version : Rogowski "outrighted" to Charlotte

Hitmen77
04-26-2007, 09:27 AM
So, what does "outrighting" him to AAA mean? Does this mean another team can pick him up on waivers?

Also, the article says this opens up a spot on the Sox 40 man roster. Who are the other 15 guys on this roster (besides the 25 that are currently up with the Sox)? What's the difference between them and all the other minor leaguers?

Finally, why are the Sox opening up this roster spot now?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070425soxgamer,1,3542710.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

After the game, Guillen defended his decision to stick with the 25-year-old Anderson against Jones, but the Sox cleared room on the 40-man roster for an acquisition by outrighting first baseman Casey Rogowski to Triple-A Charlotte.

sox1970
04-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure about the financial impact, but I think they're trying to give Rogo an opportunity to catch on with another team, much like Sean Tracey.

whitesoxfan
04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
I think it means that they just took him off the 40-man roster.

Hitmen77
04-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I think it means that they just took him off the 40-man roster.

Yes, but what does that do?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was just curious about what is the difference of having Rogo on the 40-man roster or off. Does that mean he's out of options now and can be claimed on waivers? Does this mean that the Sox have some other move pending that will place someone else on the team?

So, the Sox have another 15 guys that are on the "40 man roster", but are not in the majors - what is the signficance of this status? What about the rest of the minor leaguers?

sox1970
04-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Yes, but what does that do?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was just curious about what is the difference of having Rogo on the 40-man roster or off. Does that mean he's out of options now and can be claimed on waivers? Does this mean that the Sox have some other move pending that will place someone else on the team?

So, the Sox have another 15 guys that are on the "40 man roster", but are not in the majors - what is the signficance of this status? What about the rest of the minor leaguers?

I don't have all of the answers, but having the guy on the 40 man protects the player from being picked up off waivers to some extent, and they would also be protected in the Rule 5 draft in December.

So this past fall, they added some guys like Dewon Day and Heath Phillips to the 40 man so they would be protected from being chosen in the Rule 5.

whitesoxfan
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't have all of the answers, but having the guy on the 40 man protects the player from being picked up off waivers to some extent, and they would also be protected in the Rule 5 draft in December.

So this past fall, they added some guys like Dewon Day and Heath Phillips to the 40 man so they would be protected from being chosen in the Rule 5.

Yep.

It basically means that he's still on Charlotte, but he can't be protected once the Rule 5 draft comes around.

maurice
04-26-2007, 03:36 PM
This stuff is pretty complicated, so my explanation probably will be inadequate. However . . .

Everybody on the 25-man roster also has to be on the 40-man. The other 15 are "optioned" to a minor-league team. At some point (defined by rule), a player who is not on the 40-man can be drafted or picked up on waivers by another team. (A player who is on the 40-man but "out of options" also can be picked up on waivers.) The Sox have gained and lost many players this way over the years.

Taking a player off the 40-man clears a spot but subjects him to waivers. To pick him up, a team would have to have an open spot on their 40-man.

I guess the Sox figured they'd have no problem sneaking Rogo through waivers, because teams have their 40-man set in late-April, because he's been repeating AAA, and because he's off to a slow start. He also may be in his last option year. Anybody know?

D. TODD
04-26-2007, 03:50 PM
That open spot on the 40 man roster may be for Kenny Williams to have a bit more wiggle room for a possible 2 for 1 trade.

Domeshot17
04-26-2007, 04:36 PM
WELCOME BACK AARON!!!!!

In all seriousness, I am kind of interested to see how this plays out. I would guess someone would claim Rogo off waivers. You know hes not part of any trade for Rowand because they have Howard. Not really sure who has a big hole at 1b. Could be an interesting weekend.

sox1970
04-26-2007, 05:01 PM
WELCOME BACK AARON!!!!!

In all seriousness, I am kind of interested to see how this plays out. I would guess someone would claim Rogo off waivers. You know hes not part of any trade for Rowand because they have Howard. Not really sure who has a big hole at 1b. Could be an interesting weekend.

I wouldn't read too much into it. It could be to add Wiki Gonzalez for all we know.

UserNameBlank
04-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't read too much into it. It could be to add Wiki Gonzalez for all we know.
Wiki is probably the only player that I could think of that the Sox might want to add to the 40man to bring up, but then again Gustavo has barely played so it isn't like he's been hurting the team, plus Toby is on the fast track towards a return. If the Sox need a SS/2B, Gonzalez and Lopez are on there. If they need an OF, Sweeney, Fields, and Owens are on there. Certainly they don't need another pitcher right now.

My guess is KW is freeing up a spot for a new acquisition. Methinks he is going to go after a corner OF with some power to DH here and there, because he can't be optimistic about Pods and Erstad at best will likey be very hot and cold this season. Geoff Jenkins is supposed to be available and one would think with his contract he would come cheaply in terms of talent. Just an idea, but I think KW knows he isn't going to get a whole lot of production in LF and CF this year. For one year I think Geoff would be a huge upgrade over the revolving bench in LF, with maybe Pablo leading off against lefties.

getonbckthr
04-26-2007, 10:52 PM
How about Chone Figgins? He's coming back from injury soon (wrist/arm??) and Anaheim really doesn't need him. Their outfield is set with Anderson, Vladdy and Sarge's kid. In the infield it seems they are willing and able to go with the youth and still succeed. Use Figgins as the LF and leadoff man til Pods returns then at that point run a platoon of the 2 pending on lefty or righty pitcher. As far as who's spot on the roster he would take up either send Brian down to get consistent at bats or if Rob is seriously hurt DL him as Figgins is basically an upgrade of Mackowiak.

California Sox
04-27-2007, 12:17 AM
My suspicion is this is about adding Terrero to the 40 man. We've got a lot of injured outfielders and BA is wasting development time on the bench. I bet they want to bring Terrero up to get those 4 ABs a week and send BA down, but that's just a guess.

Fungo
04-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Did Eduardo Perez sign with anyone yet?

04-27-2007, 01:59 PM
How about Chone Figgins? He's coming back from injury soon (wrist/arm??) and Anaheim really doesn't need him. Their outfield is set with Anderson, Vladdy and Sarge's kid. In the infield it seems they are willing and able to go with the youth and still succeed. Use Figgins as the LF and leadoff man til Pods returns then at that point run a platoon of the 2 pending on lefty or righty pitcher. As far as who's spot on the roster he would take up either send Brian down to get consistent at bats or if Rob is seriously hurt DL him as Figgins is basically an upgrade of Mackowiak.

I wish!