PDA

View Full Version : White Sox only 12th greatest baseball franchise ever

wallerstein
04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
In this ranking (http://www.rankopedia.com/ZoneID=3/1697128215/Step1/27.htm) on rankopedia. Shame on the voters! The honors go theYankees, the Cardinals and the Red Sox. It might be difficult to get to the top but if we vote, we might be able to climb up a few ranks...

twsoxfan5
04-26-2007, 09:16 AM
My guess is that this might be some sort of advertisement for Rankopedia or whatever but I could not resist voting. Also the ranking is only based on 112 responses so I dont think we would have a problem getting the Sox to number 1.

hi im skot
04-26-2007, 09:19 AM
I love the culture of lists and countdowns we live in.

Ain't no thang.

JohnnyInnsbrook
04-26-2007, 09:53 AM
My guess is that this might be some sort of advertisement for Rankopedia or whatever but I could not resist voting. Also the ranking is only based on 112 responses so I dont think we would have a problem getting the Sox to number 1.

I moved them up to 9 :cool:

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Now they're #7 out of a whopping 141 votes.

DarkHorse35
04-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Thye may not be best but I still love them.

lumpyspun
04-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I moved them up to 9 :cool:

Now they're #7 out of a whopping 141 votes.

Sounds like a pretty legit poll!

twsoxfan5
04-26-2007, 11:33 AM
They are actually number 5 now. I love how much we love our team that if we want to we take over any poll out there regarding baseball.

ondafarm
04-26-2007, 11:46 AM
White Sox continue to advance

gobears1987
04-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Calling Sox Army

:churrosarmy:

gobears1987
04-26-2007, 11:54 AM
They are actually number 5 now. I love how much we love our team that if we want to we take over any poll out there regarding baseball.
Nothing will ever top the 2004 Cubune All City Team vote. A few WSI posters found a flaw in the system and wrote programs to vote automatically 24/7. The Cubune realized something was wrong when the Sox held 99% of the vote in each position.

TDog
04-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Thye may not be best but I still love them.

This is the point. It's silly to think that a team that in more than a century has won three world Series and lost two World Series -- one resulting in major scandal -- could be considered the greatest baseball franchise of all time. But, gosh darn it, they're my team. It's easy to be a Yankees fan. For that matter, when I was in junior high school in Munster, it would have been a lot easier to be a Cubs fan.

But I'm not a White Sox fan because they were winning, when I was a kid. They weren't. I'm not a Sox fan because everyone else was. They weren't. I remember going to games in Old Comiskey with a couple of friends and feeling we were the only ones in the park, and we loved it. The Sox were our team, and that was good enough for us. We loved the Sox, and that will never change. It doesn't change when they lose, but the losing made 2005 so special.

The Sox are my team. I don't care what your team is.

SBSoxFan
04-26-2007, 12:17 PM
This is the point. It's silly to think that a team that in more than a century has won three world Series and lost two World Series -- one resulting in major scandal -- could be considered the greatest baseball franchise of all time. But, gosh darn it, they're my team. It's easy to be a Yankees fan. For that matter, when I was in junior high school in Munster, it would have been a lot easier to be a Cubs fan.

But I'm not a White Sox fan because they were winning, when I was a kid. They weren't. I'm not a Sox fan because everyone else was. They weren't. I remember going to games in Old Comiskey with a couple of friends and feeling we were the only ones in the park, and we loved it. The Sox were our team, and that was good enough for us. We loved the Sox, and that will never change. It doesn't change when they lose, but the losing made 2005 so special.

That made me :smile:

I grew up in Merrillville with similar feelings. The Cubs were always on free TV (WGN), and the only time I got to go to a Sox game was free tickets for perfect attendance.

Hitmen77
04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Go White Sox! I see that the Cell is ranked high for favorite MLB stadium too. Rankopedia -that's too funny. I guess there are meaningless sites for everything under the sun. They only bothered listing the "top" 25 teams. Is it that much trouble to include the remaining 5 teams?

If I were to seriously rank "best MLB franchise ever", I'd say that the Yankees, Cardinals and Dodgers would be the top 3. I would also rank the A's pretty high because they have won 9 World Series titles (5 in Philly and 4 in Oakland). After that, it's difficult to rank. What criteria do you use? How much does current success weigh against historic success? How do you compare expansion teams that have only 30 or 40 yrs of history vs. the original 16 franchises? If you base this on popularity, then the Flubs would be ranked high - but on the field they have been one of the worst franchises over the last 60 years.

Hitmen77
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
The may not be best but I still love them.

POTW.:thumbsup:

Unblyleven Bread
04-27-2007, 01:24 AM
That made me :smile:

I grew up in Merrillville with similar feelings. The Cubs were always on free TV (WGN), and the only time I got to go to a Sox game was free tickets for perfect attendance.

So did I, only the town was called Portage and I had dissimilar feelings.

HotelWhiteSox
04-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Snore...spam...probably gets $.10 for every click

MUsoxfan
04-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Snore...spam...probably gets $.10 for every click

Suddenly up to #3. A few more votes and we're greater than those 26 World Titles. :D:

SBSoxFan
04-27-2007, 10:37 AM
So did I, only the town was called Portage and I had dissimilar feelings.

People have one thing in common; they're all different. :?:

kitekrazy
04-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Calling Sox Army

:churrosarmy:

Awesome picture.

Sounds like this is based on popularity more than anything else. No doubt the Yankees are the greatest and that reputation was earned in the pre Steinbrenner era. I don't think Boston could be 2nd. I would rank the Red Sox as #1 in choke jobs.

BRDSR
04-27-2007, 10:57 AM
My single vote got us up the 2nd.

Now if anyone except White Sox fans were even looking at this poll, we'd be making a real difference.

04-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Sox dropped to 3rd when I loaded the page but I bumped us back to 2nd.

ondafarm
04-27-2007, 11:13 AM
White Sox back to number 2.

Hitmen77
04-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Sox are #1 if you look at only U.S. votes.

IlliniSox4Life
04-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Nothing will ever top the 2004 Cubune All City Team vote. A few WSI posters found a flaw in the system and wrote programs to vote automatically 24/7. The Cubune realized something was wrong when the Sox held 99% of the vote in each position.

From their site " It would take 25 straight votes for Chicago White Sox to topple New York Yankees."

Totally doable.

I haven't figured a way around to vote multiple times though.

chisoxfanatic
04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
From their site " It would take 25 straight votes for Chicago White Sox to topple New York Yankees."

Totally doable.

I haven't figured a way around to vote multiple times though.

Nothing the White Sox Army can't defeat together!

gobears1987
04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Nothing the White Sox Army can't defeat together!
No ****. We've put both Pods and AJ into the ASG through our Chicago voting system.

skobabe8
04-27-2007, 04:41 PM
This website is scary when it gets behind a cause. :tongue:

ondafarm
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM
The stats box is down to "It would take 14 straight votes for the White Sox to topple the Yankee$"

Can we do it?

Johnny Mostil
04-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Down to 13 . . .

Edit: it also occurs to me that if you really want to mess with this thing then you should probably vote the Nats, the D-Rays, or something like that for your second and third teams (voters must select at least three teams).

04-30-2007, 12:16 PM
The Sox are up in the two slot as of this afternoon. Nine more first place votes will put them in the number one slot...

Hitmen77
04-30-2007, 12:20 PM
6 more votes to go. :cool:

Johnny Mostil
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Go White Sox! I see that the Cell is ranked high for favorite MLB stadium too. Rankopedia -that's too funny. I guess there are meaningless sites for everything under the sun.

Cel is now the #1 ballpark, by a wide margin over Fenway.

But speaking of meaningless sites, somehow Nellie Fox is listed as the ninth-best player not (sic) in the HoF.

Fox is also currently ranked as the 5th-best fielding player ever. Aparicio is currently ranked as the 3rd best fielding player ever. He's also currently ranked as the 2nd-best shortstop; Appling is 7th.

Veeck is currently ranked as the fourth best owner; Comiskey 10th, and Reinsdorf 11th.

Silly ways to spend a Monday morning, obviously . . .

ondafarm
04-30-2007, 01:16 PM
White Sox have passed the Bronx Bums!!! Let's keep piling it on!!!

JohnnyInnsbrook
04-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Any one else find it funny that Jose Canseco is 4th on the Who is a Steroid User List? (http://www.rankopedia.com/ZoneID=3/16672/Step1/1888.htm)

soxfan13
04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Any one else find it funny that Jose Canseco is 4th on the Who is a Steroid User List? (http://www.rankopedia.com/ZoneID=3/16672/Step1/1888.htm)

Very funny considering he is the only one to admit it :D:

ondafarm
04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
New Yorkers getting peeved and starting to vote again. Please vote CWS and continue to irritate them.

The Dude
04-30-2007, 05:49 PM
The Sox are up in the two slot as of this afternoon. Nine more first place votes will put them in the number one slot...

Nice screen name and :welcome: