PDA

View Full Version : How long until Gio is called up to AAA?

JermaineDye05
04-25-2007, 03:46 PM
His numbers have been pretty impressive in AA, 3-1 1.69 ERA 30 SO 8 BB in 21.1 IP. I like his K/BB ratio. If he can get his control down he could be one hell of a pitcher. How many more years in the minors do you think Gio needs, 2-3?

sox1970
04-25-2007, 04:23 PM
He'll probably stay in AA this year since it's generally the Sox policy not to move guys during the season. I personally would like to see him moved up to Charlotte since he was at AA in 2006.

He's only 6 months younger than Danks, so I could see him up sometime in 2008. The only way we'll see him this season is if the Sox completely tank, and they trade guys. I doubt that will happen so 2008 seems to be a good guess.

gobears1987
04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I think the Sox have had better success keeping pitchers in AA instead of moving them to AAA before call-ups. See Buehrle and Jenks. Our AAA field is not suitable for developing pitchers. It's a hitter's haven and will just ruin a pitcher's confidence.

UserNameBlank
04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
I think the Sox have had better success keeping pitchers in AA instead of moving them to AAA before call-ups. See Buehrle and Jenks. Our AAA field is not suitable for developing pitchers. It's a hitter's haven and will just ruin a pitcher's confidence.
If a pitcher isn't mentally capable of handling a pounding from AAAA players and prospects in Charlotte there is no way he can handle facing major leaguers in the Cell, but I kind of see your point. I'd like to see Gio get some time in Triple A but the Sox have to do whatever they think is best for him. Starting him in AA this season was nice to see since it is a clear, obvious sign that they do not have to and will not rush him.

maurice
04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
While the I.L. certainly has lots of AAAA guys who can rake, there typically are more legit prospects in the S.L. (Birmingham) than in the I.L. (Charlotte). Guys like Fields are an exception. They only stay in AAA, because they're blocked at the MLB level and already excelled at AA. Most prospects who excel at AA will be in MLB in the near future.

On a crappy team, Gio would be in the MLB rotation this year. The Sox can be patient and bide their time. Let him enjoy dominating the S.L. That's a pretty mean feat.

jabrch
04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Gio's development (along with Danks) might mean the end of Buehrle with us. I'd miss Mark, but I wouldn't spend 15mm on him to have 3 LHP in the rotation when we have 2 very cheap LHP who both look very good.

The $15mm can be spent on RHP, RF, SS, 2B or somewhere else.

JermaineDye05
04-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Gio's development (along with Danks) might mean the end of Buehrle with us. I'd miss Mark, but I wouldn't spend 15mm on him to have 3 LHP in the rotation when we have 2 very cheap LHP who both look very good.

Or another left hander by the name of Johan Santana in a couple years.

TomBradley72
04-29-2007, 01:53 AM

You're kidding yourself if you think Gio would make up for the hole in the WSox rotation if Buehrle leaves. Contreras/Garland/Vazquez/Danks/Gio in 2008 means no post season for the White Sox.