PDA

View Full Version : Question on Extra Innings/Comcast

downstairs
04-25-2007, 03:42 PM
(Mods: For some reason I submitted this earlier and it showed up as two blank threads I couldn't even respond to?)

Ok... so I have both Extra Innings and the "sports package" on DirecTV. From what I understood, this no only allows me to watch games on the Extra Innings channels... it lifts the blackout of the local channel (CSN) as well.

In fact, I am positive there have been times when Extra Innings was showing the other team's feed and I could flip over and watch Hawk and DJ.

But the other night against KC, CSN was still blacked out? I watched the game on Extra Innings with the (horrible) KC announcers.

What's the deal? I'm new to both packages...

Baby Fisk
04-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Those KC announcers are possibly the worst in all of baseball. They are two dull, colourless old men who don't even seem interested in what's happening on the field.

This doesn't help you any with your situation, but I can commiserate with you about those KC bores.

HotelWhiteSox
04-25-2007, 04:19 PM
It wouldn't lift the blackout. The sports package is a waste if you're only trying to use it to watch baseball.

However if you're location is right in NO, you shouldn't have any blackout problem? (Unless you mean that you want the Chicago Hawk and DJ feed every time, of which I don't think you can do either)

EastCoastSoxFan
04-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Those KC announcers are possibly the worst in all of baseball. They are two dull, colourless old men who don't even seem interested in what's happening on the field.
This doesn't help you any with your situation, but I can commiserate with you about those KC bores.Toronto's announcers are pretty subdued, but at least they have a sense of humor. I remember them once referring to a wicked Buehrle change-up as "un-neighborly"...

lumpyspun
04-25-2007, 05:38 PM
If I remember correctly when I looked into it...on the sports package CSN will be blacked out ONLY during the game time. You should have to watch the game on EI.

Then, you should have CSN for all the pregame/postgame stuff and throughout the rest of the day.

And FWIW, I actually don't mind the KC announcers b/c they are not loudmouth, assbags like a lot of the other teams have (Jerry Remy, Rex Hudler, etc.).

eriqjaffe
04-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Those KC announcers are possibly the worst in all of baseball. They are two dull, colourless old men who don't even seem interested in what's happening on the field.In their defense, if you had to watch the Royals all the time, you'd probably start feeling a bit dull and colorless yourself. :2cents:

BTW, they're Bob Davis (even the name is colorless!) and all-time winningest Royal pitcher Paul Splittorff.

AZChiSoxFan
04-25-2007, 06:49 PM
In their defense, if you had to watch the Royals all the time, you'd probably start feeling a bit dull and colorless yourself. :2cents:

BTW, they're Bob Davis (even the name is colorless!) and all-time winningest Royal pitcher Paul Splittorff.

IMO, Bob Davis is terrible. Last night, all he did was complain about virtually every call. Even when Sox pitchers threw one right over the middle of the plate, he responded with "Wow, that call went for the Sox."

downstairs
05-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I hope I'm not digging up too old a thread (its mine from a few weeks ago)... but...

I'm still confused. I *do* often get the games on CSN itself, here in New Orleans. This is because I have *both* EI and the "Sports Package".

I'm not positive, but could it be that I can only see games on CSN when CSN is the chosen broadcast for EI? Because I swear I've been able to watch Hawk and DJ on CSN when EI is playing the other team's feed.

The whole point of having both EI and the sports package is to be able to do this at all times (except Fox blackouts, of course).

Any ideas from other out-of-state fans with the same packages?

BeeBeeRichard
05-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Having the Sportspack gives you access to the RSNs anytime they are broadcasting something OTHER than a live event that's part of a "season-ticket" type package (Extra Innings, Full Court, Center Ice). The feed that Extra Innnings picks up (usually the home team feed, but not always -- such as when the Sox are at home on WCIU and the road team is, say Detroit, and it's on FSN Detroit, which is already on a nationwide satellite) will be available to you on both the EI channel and its usual RSN channel in the 600s on Directv. But the alternate feed (in a lot of cases the road team's RSN, with exceptions such as noted in the above example) is still blacked out because that particular feed is not part of the Extra Innnings package, but the game itself IS a live event that's subject to Sportspack blackout.

BRDSR
05-11-2007, 05:26 PM

I can't believe I've never heard of the all-time winningest pitcher on any of the thirty franchises. How many wins does he have, 87? At least his name isn't colorless, especially for a pitcher.

Edit: 166 wins for Paul Splittorff. Good chance that is the least amount of wins for the winningest pitcher on a franchise of any non-expansion franchises.

eriqjaffe
05-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I can't believe I've never heard of the all-time winningest pitcher on any of the thirty franchises. How many wins does he have, 87? At least his name isn't colorless, especially for a pitcher.

Edit: 166 wins for Paul Splittorff. Good chance that is the least amount of wins for the winningest pitcher on a franchise of any non-expansion franchises.Umm...but the Royals are an expansion franchise.

For the record, he's the third winningest pitcher amongst expansion teams (just games won for the expansion team, Randy Johnson's wins for the Yanks don't count, etc):

New York (N) Tom Seaver 198
Toronto Dave Stieb 175
Kansas City Paul Splittorff 166
Los Angeles (A) Chuck Finley 165
Washington Steve Rogers 158
Seattle Jamie Moyer 145
Houston Joe Niekro 144
Texas Charlie Hough 139
Milwaukee Jim Slaton 117
Arizona Randy Johnson 103
San Diego Eric Show 100
Florida Dontrelle Willis 63