PDA

View Full Version : 4/25 lineup

AJ Hellraiser
04-25-2007, 02:16 PM
From whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com:

Erstad, CF; Iguchi, 2B; PK, 1B; AJ, C; Crede, 3B; Mackowiak, RF: Ozuna, LF; Uribe, SS; Anderson, DH. John Danks on the mound.

No Thome.... No Dye :o:

Now I'm praying for a rainout... any updates on Jermaine?

Rowandws33
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Iam happy BA is in the lineup but i would want his glove in the field..What do you guys think?:?:

SBSoxFan
04-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Iam happy BA is in the lineup but i would want his glove in the field..What do you guys think?:?:

I was thinking the same thing. DH Erstad and put BA in center.

Jerko
04-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Maybe JD has a nagging injury and he's being kept out again because of the wet turf???? That's all I can hope.

CHISOXFAN13
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing. DH Erstad and put BA in center.

No. DH Pablo and let Anderson and Erstad both play defense. This is a bit odd.

SBSoxFan
04-25-2007, 02:24 PM
No. DH Pablo and let Anderson and Erstad both play defense. This is a bit odd.

Oh. Good point - and also have him lead off!

AJ Hellraiser
Besides Jermaine and Thome not being in the lineup.... I don't understand Anderson's glove not being in the field... either DH Ozuna or Mackowiak... now we can't even put in Anderson as a defensive replacement....

Also, why not bat Ozuna leadoff and drop Erstad down in the order??

on Scott Reifert's blog, where I found the lineup, there is no mention of an injury to JD so that gives me some hope... you'd think that would be some information that would accompany the lineup if there was something serious

FedEx227
Yeah, I honestly don't care if BA/Erstad is in LF/CF, they're interchangable at this point. But putting Anderson at DH and having Ozuna play LF...WHAAAA?

CHISOXFAN13
04-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I honestly don't care if BA/Erstad is in LF/CF, they're interchangable at this point. But putting Anderson at DH and having Ozuna play LF...WHAAAA?

Totally bizarre. Must be a mistake here. I also agree with going Pablo then Erstad at the top.

On a positive note, Durbin sucks and the runs should still come.

champagne030
04-25-2007, 02:26 PM

Are you ****ing ****ting me? We really have Ozuna in LF and GrindErstad in CF with Anderson DH'ing? Ozzie has had one too many rum and cokes this afternoon.

Chez
04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
This must be a mistake. No way Pablo should play in the field ahead of Anderson.

FedEx227
04-25-2007, 02:28 PM
SR is usually never wrong, after all he's at the stadium, and works for the team.

EMachine10
04-25-2007, 02:29 PM
this is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. Everybody knows (even Ozzie) how much of an adventure Pablo and Rob are in the outfield. And having them both in the same outfield while Anderson is in the lineup??? Yikes. At least they're not next to each other :rolleyes: .

Rowandws33
04-25-2007, 02:35 PM
with the high winds for the game i really dont want pablo in the field.

spiffie
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM
I have no problem with anything Ozzie has done up until now, and think much of it makes sense.

That said, BA as DH with those three in the OF just seems really hard to justify, unless there's something where Anderson is injured slightly and isn't 100% and able to run in the OF.

WizardsofOzzie
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/3337/21477bplooneytuneswileejf0.jpg

champagne030
04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
I have no problem with anything Ozzie has done up until now, and think much of it makes sense.

That's a major ****ing shock.

downstairs
04-25-2007, 02:44 PM
BA as DH? That's almost as smart as putting Thome at short stop.

Oh well, time for some benchers to prove their meddle.

oeo
04-25-2007, 02:45 PM
So we have our rookie pitcher (going for the second time in the last week against the Tigers...so I'm a little worried) and are lacking the best possible defense? What the hell?

redsand22
04-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Erstad, CF; Iguchi, 2B; PK, 1B; AJ, C; Crede, 3B; Mackowiak, RF: Ozuna, LF; Uribe, SS; Anderson, DH. John Danks on the mound.

Seems like anytime we win 2, Ozzie pulls a couple of starters. I hope we can win one for Danks, he's been pretty solid as a #5.

Madvora
04-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Definitely the weirdest lineup in Ozzie's 3+ years here.

I think Anderson is perfectly capable of catching a flyball in left or right field... surely better than Ozuna or Mack can. The same thing would go for Erstad too. Both Erstad and Anderson can play at the same time. I don't get it.

You have a guy who's main benefit to the team is defense (BA) not in the field.
You have a guy who's main benefit to the team is hitting (Ozuna) in the field.

jdm2662
04-25-2007, 03:08 PM
with the high winds for the game i really dont want pablo in the field.

I really don't want Pablo in the field at all (batting ok, field, well...)

Chicken Dinner
04-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Now I know it will be a rain out. :whiner:

HotelWhiteSox
04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
This must be a mistake. No brainer that you want Anderson for his glove.

That is unless they already know it's a rain out and are ****ing with us, probably laughing at this thread right now.

Jerko
04-25-2007, 03:27 PM

That is unless they already know it's a rain out and are ****ing with us, probably laughing at this thread right now.

Maybe OZ is ****ing with BA..... He can bench him for 2 weeks now because he gave him the start today.

salty99
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't care what the lineup is as long as we post a W.

JermaineDye05
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Is there something I missed, why hasn't Thome played the last couple of games? Rest? or hurt?

04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Maybe Anderson struggles so much at the plate because he is concentrating on his defense. As a DH he would be a lock for .300 30HR 100RBI.

chisoxfanatic
04-25-2007, 03:40 PM

Excuse me while I hurl!

Risk
04-25-2007, 03:46 PM
:?:

Craziest. Line up. Ever.

Watch as Ozuna has two outfield assists and Anderson goes 4-5 w/ 3 RBIs.

Risk

salty99
04-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Is there something I missed, why hasn't Thome played the last couple of games? Rest? or hurt?

Ribs are sore.

CHIsoxNation
04-25-2007, 03:48 PM

He pulled a muscle near his ribs in Monday's game. They said it's not a big deal but would probably keep him out a couple of games.

JermaineDye05
04-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Ribs are sore.

He pulled a muscle near his ribs in Monday's game. They said it's not a big deal but would probably keep him out a couple of games.

ah ok thanks.

CLR01
04-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Good lord Ozzie, I know we are all impressed with the incredible skill of Tony the Tiger but he's not a magician. :?:

UserNameBlank
04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Pablo and Mack in RBI spots with BA as the DH of all things? Umm, it's not like Brian needs the rest. Put your best defensive OFer in the freaking game for Christ's sake.

spiffie
04-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Good lord Ozzie, I know we are all impressed with the incredible skill of Tony the Tiger but he's not a magician. :?:
He's testing Tony, seeing just what he's capable of. Seeing if Tony is the good luck equivalent of Aaron Rowand, able to do anything!

ondafarm
04-25-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping there's a missprint somewhere there. The lineup sounds odd. If Thome is resting another day to be certain he's okay, that's great. Better rest than 15 day DL.

Chez
04-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm already on record as saying I think it's a mistake/misprint and, if not, truly bizarre. But here's the only rationale I can come up: Knowing that you are likely to pinch hit for Anderson, if he's DH'ing you have a lot more options to choose from (e.g. Dye, Thome, Cintron) than if he's playing in the outfield and you want to pinch hit for him. I can't think of any other reason -- and even the one I've offered would be wrongheaded.

JB98
04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Cintron is not with the team right now. If you DH Pablo, what happens if you need a 2B or a 3B in an emergency situation? I think that's why Ozzie is doing it this way.

Chez
04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Cintron is not with the team right now. If you DH Pablo, what happens if you need a 2B or a 3B in an emergency situation? I think that's why Ozzie is doing it this way.

If Cintron's not back then they still have Andy Gonzalez (I think that's his name) as a back-up infielder.

JB98
04-25-2007, 04:36 PM
If Cintron's not back then they still have Andy Gonzalez (I think that's his name) as a back-up infielder.

Does Gonzalez play anywhere other than SS? I guess he did play some 2B in spring training. Could he play 3B? Honestly, I don't know.

I'm shaking my head just like the rest of you. I just thought I'd throw out another possible scenario that might have entered Guillen's thinking.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Even so, I think that BA provides better defense than Grinderstad, and even if they are roughly equivalent, Grinderstad has the tendency to wear down during the course of the season. If he's your main starter, tet him rest tonight between at bats in the DH spot, and put BA in center like last night. Unless BA is being punished for his error last night.

JB98
04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Even so, I think that BA provides better defense than Grinderstad, and even if they are roughly equivalent, Grinderstad has the tendency to wear down during the course of the season. If he's your main starter, tet him rest tonight between at bats in the DH spot, and put BA in center like last night. Unless BA is being punished for his error last night.

The candidates for DH tonight would be BA, Erstad, Mack or Ozuna. Of the four, BA is the only one that is exclusively an outfielder. The other three provide you with versatility in the field. With us being short-handed for tonight, Ozzie is just trying to maximize his versatility.

That's my best guess, rightly or wrongly. I don't think I'd set the lineup this way, but I'm not the manager.

TDog
04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
I can't believe Anderson would DH unless there is something fans don't know about what's going on (which is usually the case in such cases). Part of Anderson's role on the team is as a defensive replacement. This weekend, he was a DH, but only as a pinch runner for Jim Thome, aiding the Sox in tying the game. As the pinch runner for the DH, bringing him in to play defense would have put the pitcher in the White Sox batting order. That is, if Anderson had gone out to play left for Mackowiak, the next time Mackowiak's turn in the order came around, it would be the pitcher's turn to hit -- which isn't something the Sox would want to see in extra innings of an AL game.

In the pinch-running situation, Anderson was needed as the DH. Starting him wouldn't seem to make sense.

puckereduppiet
04-25-2007, 04:53 PM
who's catching?

lths06
04-25-2007, 04:55 PM
The only thing I can think of with BA batting DH is that maybe its Ozzie's way of making him concentrate on hitting. That's the best I got. It's nice to see we're bringing our A game to national T.V. though...

WizardsofOzzie
04-25-2007, 04:55 PM
who's catching?
AJ

champagne030
04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
who's catching?

Since Ozzie is incapacitated it looks like Salas will be behind the dish.

peeonwrigley
04-25-2007, 05:00 PM

This would be the only thing that makes sense.

fuzzy_patters
04-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I think it's the reason. Alex Cintron just went on the bereavement list, so we have to have Ozuna in the lineup to backup the infield.

PeoriaSoxFan
04-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I think it's the reason. Alex Cintron just went on the bereavement list, so we have to have Ozuna in the lineup to backup the infield.

As someone said, they just brought up Gonzalez who can play 2nd and SS. Mack could also play 3rd, if something happened there. This is somewhat mind boggling, if it is true.

fuzzy_patters
04-25-2007, 05:12 PM
As someone said, they just brought up Gonzalez who can play 2nd and SS. Mack could also play 3rd, if something happened there. This is somewhat mind boggling, if it is true.

That's true, but Hawk pointed out last night that Ozzie doesn't want to bring Gonzalez into a close game. If Uribe or Iguchi were to go down with the game close, Ozuna would have to take their place.

HotelWhiteSox
04-25-2007, 05:24 PM
So why not DH Mackowiak? I'm going to stick with mistake

oeo
04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
That's true, but Hawk pointed out last night that Ozzie doesn't want to bring Gonzalez into a close game. If Uribe or Iguchi were to go down with the game close, Ozuna would have to take their place.

So you're going to put a ****ty defense in the outfield for the entire game because of the slight chance that someone gets injured in a close game? If Uribe were to get injured (and I only say Uribe because Mackowiak can play third and second), then we would just have to suck it up with Gonzalez at short.

Doesn't make any sense.

bnlfanmatt
04-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Now I know it will be a rain out. :whiner:

That's what I'm thinking... it's gotta be a rainout.

JB98
04-25-2007, 05:35 PM
That's what I'm thinking... it's gotta be a rainout.

Ozzie just likes ****ing with the Anderson people. :cool:

BeeBeeRichard
04-25-2007, 05:36 PM
OK, if Ozuna has to go to the infield in an emergency, then who takes his spot in the outfield? That would be Anderson. Which means you're still vacating the DH position and putting the pitcher in the lineup.
More likely is the original thought in this thread: that if it gets to the 9th and the Sox need a clutch hit, perhaps Thome or Dye are available in a pinch. But they (especially Thome) could hit only for the DH in case it goes to extras. And who would you most want to pinch-hit for in that situation?

oeo
04-25-2007, 05:39 PM
More likely is the original thought in this thread: that if it gets to the 9th and the Sox need a clutch hit, perhaps Thome or Dye are available in a pinch. But they (especially Thome) could hit only for the DH in case it goes to extras. And who would you most want to pinch-hit for in that situation?

Why would he make a lineup so things "work out" in the 9th? We may not even get a shot at bringing Thome or Dye in with a terrible defense behind Danks all game. This makes no sense...you're not setting up the lineup for the 9th inning/extra innings.

DickAllen72
04-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Ozzie is strange. :?:

kobo
04-25-2007, 05:51 PM
This makes absolutely no sense.

pearso66
04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Wouldn't it make the most sense to put Konerko at DH with Erstad playing 1st? That way 3 of the players in the lineup (erstad, Mack, Ozuna) could all play a different position, Anderson could move to any of the 3 OF spots, and you could bring anyone in for whatever situation? Maybe that makes too much sense?

JB98
04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Ozzie is strange. :?:

If we win tonight, I forgive him. :cool:

nsdjoe
04-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Wouldn't it make the most sense to put Konerko at DH with Erstad playing 1st? That way 3 of the players in the lineup (erstad, Mack, Ozuna) could all play a different position, Anderson could move to any of the 3 OF spots, and you could bring anyone in for whatever situation? Maybe that makes too much sense?

This sounds about right.

kevingrt
04-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Ozzie is very strange however if we keep winning I don't really care. He did some weird stuff in '05, but heh it worked.

thedudeabides
04-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Let's see if this is even accurate. Anderson made a couple of tough catches in a wet outfield. He could have strained something and they don't want to put him back on another wet field. Total speculation, but I'm sure there's a reason.

HotelWhiteSox
04-25-2007, 06:01 PM

good call

Jurr
04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Dye must've strained something last night. The pre game radio show should shed some light on the subject. I guess we'll see in twenty or so minutes.

southsideirish71
04-25-2007, 06:12 PM

Winner

HotelWhiteSox
04-25-2007, 06:23 PM
MLB.com gameday confirms :?:

slobes
04-25-2007, 06:24 PM

Bingo. I have two thoughts with this lineup:
1) Brian Anderson should not play if he's not in the field.
2) If Ozuna plays, he should lead off--no question. That man is a sparkplug for our offense.

Then again, Ozzie's done some crazy stuff in the past and some of it has worked out. Let's hope that goes for tonight too.

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2007, 06:34 PM

A far better way to position the fielders for maximum flexibility in case a defensive change needs to be made during the game would be this (even granting Ozzie's illogical batting order):

Erstad 1B, Iguchi 2B, PK DH, AJ C, Crede 3B, Mackowiak RF, Ozuna LF, Uribe SS, Anderson CF

This way, the one player who can only play one defensive position - Paulie - is the one who would DH.

Provided that Anderson is healthy, having Anderson DH is simply the most asinine decision I have ever seen from Ozzie. Ever.

HomeFish
04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Relax, guys, it looks like the game won't be played.

Jurr
04-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Relax, guys, it looks like the game won't be played.
Bossard says we're getting the game in. After last year's opener, I don't doubt the guy-ever.

Rowandws33
04-25-2007, 06:48 PM
i hope the Sox do play i wanna see this lineup in action.:bandance:

Jurr
04-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Coop says that he wants to stay the hell away from Macdougal and Thornton tonight. He would like Danks to rack up some innings, but we'll have to see.

Jurr
04-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Ozzie mentioned nothing about Dye being injured. Hmmm....

He did say this, though (pretty funny):
"Erstad batting .220 is like someone else hitting .390. He does everything you could possibly ask. Getting guys over, taking pitches, bunting, and clutch hitting. He's great for us."