PDA

View Full Version : Dr. ERALove, or....


Pete_SSAC
03-25-2002, 09:27 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love our pitching.

As most of you know, we haven't exacttly been a staff of Cy Youngs this spring. And of course, many are panicking, some jumping onto the Twins bandwagon (You know who you are!)

And as most of you know, Dan Wright gave up 6 runs in one inning today.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!! SINNERS REPENT! LET'S ALL DROP OUR IQ'S AND GET DRUNK AND BECOME CUB FANS!!!!!!

No... not quite.

You see, between classes today I heard that ill-fated inning. And here's what happened. You read a play by play and it will say "Tim Salmon doubles to left." However, if you heard the game, you'll realize it seems like it was more of an aissted error by... Carlos Lee. It seems like he had a bad break on the ball, or what have you, and BOOM! Instead of making the play, it's a double. Which adds one more run to that inning, and one less out. One out that would have been helpful since 5 runs were scored with 2 outs (and the first run was scored by Tim Salmon, who wouldn't have been there if Lee made that play.) Lee makes that play, no 6 run inning.

Now, let's not blame Lee, let's look at the other mistake in that inning.

"Adam Kennedy Triples Molina and Spiezio scores" What happened: Lofton misplayed the ball, because he lost it in the sun. If he catches it, inning over. Runs don't score, and it prevents two other runs from scoring. So it would be a 2 run inning.

BUT, since they weren't errors per se, just bad D, it goes down to the ERA of Wright, and then we start tearing our shirts off and crying. I know a few people here are down on Wright. I'm not one of 'em. I like him a lot. And if you paid attention to the game, a lot of the outs he gave up were in center. He's getting them to hit the ball to the deepest part of the park. He has great stuff. But, also, I agree that the arguement can be made that he should have gotten out of that mess a bit cleaner with better pitching. Yeah, you're right, but he also would have gotten out of itwith better D.

So, let's look at our starting pitching rotation, shall we?

Buehrle - A bit unstable ST. He's had some good outings, but he's had some crap ones too. However, he's a smart guy. He'll do it. Don't worry. Maybe he won't do as well as last year. The ERA might be higher, the wins will be about the same with (hopefully) better run support.

Ritiche - I know there's a few Wells and Lowe Fanboys/girls out there that will refuse to give props to Ritchie. But, dispite some rocky outings early on, he's doing quite well and I feel confident in him too. I expect him to probably do the best on our staff.

Wright - This guy might be an ulcer waiting to happen. He could be great, he might even be better than Ritchie, he has the potential to be, but, I feel he's a bit too... unpredicatble. He's been roughed up a bit, but today gave me a good feeling overall. Right now, expect him to be... meh. He'll have some great knock your sox off outings, and some outings where you want to knock his block off.

Garland - This guy is the one I'm most worried about. He has the potential, but I don't think he has the intestines yet. However, I feel he will get it over time, and hopefully this year. Unlike Kip.

Rausch- He's looked reallll good. If Wright isn't the sleeper on this team, he will be.

So, my status so far abou my confidence on this theam? :cool:

- Pete

Daver
03-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Rauch looked good too.

I agree with you Pete,I am not as worried about our pitching as most are.

pearso66
03-25-2002, 09:41 PM
i have not been worried yet of the pitching. its only spring training, and granted our ERA is highest, it always tends to go down when the season starts, and the games start to count. it will come around, i have always said that

doublem23
03-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I mean, I'm not giddy about the performance of Sox pitching this Spring, but anyone who thinks the sky is falling is a bit nutty, too.

OEO Magglio
03-25-2002, 10:17 PM
I believe that the starting pitching will be the most surprising in the whole league. I think Buehrle, Ritchie, will be great. Today what made me happy with Wright, is he did have bad D behind him today, and also he was throwing strikes, and not walking people, he has such good stuff, if he throws strikes, he should be real good when the season starts. Garland had a pretty good year last year, and once he gets passed the first two innings he usually settles down, so I am pretty confident about Garland. Out of the last three starters I would have to say I am the most confident about Rauch. Even though most pitchers don't do great their first time in the majors, I believe he will be an acception, and have a great year. The thing I am worried about is the bullpen, just cause of all the surgeries they had last year, if they get back to their form before surgery they should have great seasons.

Lip Man 1
03-26-2002, 01:51 AM
I'm reminded of a quote that Tony LaRussa said on the "official" White Sox 1983 season review highlight tape, called Winning Ugly..." It's ironic and has much value to the 2002 team.

Here's the quote: "If you're banking your hopes on a young pitching staff, you better play good defense..."

Scary thought, isn't it?

Lip

RichH55
03-26-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm reminded of a quote that Tony LaRussa said on the "official" White Sox 1983 season review highlight tape, called Winning Ugly..." It's ironic and has much value to the 2002 team.

Here's the quote: "If you're banking your hopes on a young pitching staff, you better play good defense..."

Scary thought, isn't it?

Lip


Or you could just score 1000 runs too:)

RichH55
03-26-2002, 01:56 AM
I think lost in all the ST sky is falling posts is the great spring put on by Lofton, who appears to be back for the most part(healthy) and truly wanting to prove people wrong(motivated)...he might not put up his best numbers ever...but anything over a .370 OBP and that is just looking golden especially with all those beasts behind him......

Iwritecode
03-26-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
How I learned to stop worrying and love our pitching.

As most of you know, we haven't exacttly been a staff of Cy Youngs this spring. And of course, many are panicking, some jumping onto the Twins bandwagon (You know who you are!)

And as most of you know, Dan Wright gave up 6 runs in one inning today.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!! SINNERS REPENT! LET'S ALL DROP OUR IQ'S AND GET DRUNK AND BECOME CUB FANS!!!!!!

No... not quite.

You see, between classes today I heard that ill-fated inning. And here's what happened. You read a play by play and it will say "Tim Salmon doubles to left." However, if you heard the game, you'll realize it seems like it was more of an aissted error by... Carlos Lee. It seems like he had a bad break on the ball, or what have you, and BOOM! Instead of making the play, it's a double. Which adds one more run to that inning, and one less out. One out that would have been helpful since 5 runs were scored with 2 outs (and the first run was scored by Tim Salmon, who wouldn't have been there if Lee made that play.) Lee makes that play, no 6 run inning.

Now, let's not blame Lee, let's look at the other mistake in that inning.

"Adam Kennedy Triples Molina and Spiezio scores" What happened: Lofton misplayed the ball, because he lost it in the sun. If he catches it, inning over. Runs don't score, and it prevents two other runs from scoring. So it would be a 2 run inning.

BUT, since they weren't errors per se, just bad D, it goes down to the ERA of Wright, and then we start tearing our shirts off and crying. I know a few people here are down on Wright. I'm not one of 'em. I like him a lot. And if you paid attention to the game, a lot of the outs he gave up were in center. He's getting them to hit the ball to the deepest part of the park. He has great stuff. But, also, I agree that the arguement can be made that he should have gotten out of that mess a bit cleaner with better pitching. Yeah, you're right, but he also would have gotten out of itwith better D.

So, let's look at our starting pitching rotation, shall we?

Buehrle - A bit unstable ST. He's had some good outings, but he's had some crap ones too. However, he's a smart guy. He'll do it. Don't worry. Maybe he won't do as well as last year. The ERA might be higher, the wins will be about the same with (hopefully) better run support.

Ritiche - I know there's a few Wells and Lowe Fanboys/girls out there that will refuse to give props to Ritchie. But, dispite some rocky outings early on, he's doing quite well and I feel confident in him too. I expect him to probably do the best on our staff.

Wright - This guy might be an ulcer waiting to happen. He could be great, he might even be better than Ritchie, he has the potential to be, but, I feel he's a bit too... unpredicatble. He's been roughed up a bit, but today gave me a good feeling overall. Right now, expect him to be... meh. He'll have some great knock your sox off outings, and some outings where you want to knock his block off.

Garland - This guy is the one I'm most worried about. He has the potential, but I don't think he has the intestines yet. However, I feel he will get it over time, and hopefully this year. Unlike Kip.

Rausch- He's looked reallll good. If Wright isn't the sleeper on this team, he will be.

So, my status so far abou my confidence on this theam? :cool:

- Pete

I think you hit the nail on the head here Pete. I've been thinking about this for a little while but could never put it down in words because I wasn't 100% sure. I was starting to wonder, of all these hits our pitchers keep giving up, how many would be outs at Comiskey? Or any other ballpark for that matter? The fact is, I have no idea because I've only seen 1.5 games on TV so far. The only thing we have to judge our pitchers on is stats. How many times have we heard how you can't fairly judge a player just based on stats? I certainly hope it wasn't the same peopel that think the sky is falling now. Also, how many times would a pitcher give up 7 or 8 runs and stay in if it was a "real" game? If a pitcher is scheduled to pitch 3 innings, that's probably what he's going to do. They ignore how many runs he gives up. So we basically need to quit worrying until April 1 when the factors change. Then we will be able to see with our own eyes how good or bad a pitcher is doing and whether it's the pitcher with the problems or the defense letting him down.

RichH55
03-26-2002, 10:50 AM
Can I just post how much I like the Thread line for this ....very clever...so kudos to you

moochpuppy
03-26-2002, 11:05 AM
I believe, and bash me if you wish, that this starting rotation has the chance to be just as good or better than the 93/94 rotation of McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere.

RedPinStripes
03-26-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I believe, and bash me if you wish, that this starting rotation has the chance to be just as good or better than the 93/94 rotation of McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere.

I'm not sure about that one for this year, but anything can hapen in baseball.

Chisoxfn
03-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Damn if that happens were going to be World Series Champs.

foulkesfan11
03-26-2002, 12:18 PM
I recall last year during spring training that our pitching wasn't in its top form either. I think that once the season starts ,it will be a little shaky at first, but things will get back to normal. I just hope it doesn't take as long as it did last year. Hopefully our offense will be strong to back up our sour pitching.

Pete_SSAC
03-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Ok, So Jon got knocked around hard today, giving up about 8 ER's. So, let's look at the other reason why our ERA's are so inflated:

It's a DRY heat.

As well all know, AZ is hot. AZ is dry. The ball flys through the air like a trapeeze artist on crack. Also, this hurts the pitchers that throw a lot of breaking stuff, or that have fastballs that have hair on them. When breaking balls don't break right, then we end up with BP. Also, today's game was in Hi Corbet, which is... Hi. Almost the same elevation as the Rockie's home field. Which, well, we all know how that goes.

Fun fact. Today the Catus league gave up 74 runs in the ten teams that play. 7.40 ERA (more or less) Hmmmm... doesn't seem to be just us, does it?

Once again, everyone settle down, tkae a deep breath and remeber, it's wetter, colder, and lower in Chi-Town. Which means our boys will be better.

- Pete

PaleHoseGeorge
03-26-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Ok, So Jon got knocked around hard today, giving up about 8 ER's. So, let's look at the other reason why our ERA's are so inflated:

It's a DRY heat.

As well all know, AZ is hot. AZ is dry. The ball flys through the air like a trapeeze artist on crack. Also, this hurts the pitchers that throw a lot of breaking stuff, or that have fastballs that have hair on them. When breaking balls don't break right, then we end up with BP. Also, today's game was in Hi Corbet, which is... Hi. Almost the same elevation as the Rockie's home field. Which, well, we all know how that goes.

Fun fact. Today the Catus league gave up 74 runs in the ten teams that play. 7.40 ERA (more or less) Hmmmm... doesn't seem to be just us, does it?

Once again, everyone settle down, tkae a deep breath and remeber, it's wetter, colder, and lower in Chi-Town. Which means our boys will be better.

- Pete

Okay, I'm nominating Pete as the official WSI guy to tell the rest of us when to start panicking!

:)

Pete_SSAC
03-26-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


Okay, I'm nominating Pete as the official WSI guy to tell the rest of us when to start panicking!

:)

Well, last year when everyone though we were going to out Tampa Bay Tampa Bay when we had our bad start, I said don't worry until the All-Star break. And we kinda turned the season around.

I say don't even think of panicking until may.

- Pete

Daver
03-26-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


Okay, I'm nominating Pete as the official WSI guy to tell the rest of us when to start panicking!

:)

Damn,and I was all set to join the in crowd and PANIC now.

I miss all the fashion trends.

RichH55
03-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by daver


Damn,and I was all set to join the in crowd and PANIC now.

I miss all the fashion trends.


I hear Camo is in these days though

duke of dorwood
03-27-2002, 12:32 PM
The air and things do not account for the walks. That's what has concerned me.