PDA

View Full Version : Replicating the Sox 2005 feat

Moses_Scurry
04-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Do any teams still have a chance to go wire to wire? I haven't paid as much attention to the other divisions.

I know the central is out, the NL east is out, the AL east is out. I'm pretty sure the Brewers haven't been on top the whole season. I don't know about the two west divisions.

It truly was one of the greatest team achievements ever in my opinion. Here we are twenty games in the season, and it's very likely no teams are still able to say they have a chance at it. I bet that's the case most years. I don't remember if the Mets were wire to wire for the division last year, but they obviously didn't win it all so it doesn't matter.

TommyJohn
04-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Do any teams still have a chance to go wire to wire? I haven't paid as much attention to the other divisions.

I know the central is out, the NL east is out, the AL east is out. I'm pretty sure the Brewers haven't been on top the whole season. I don't know about the two west divisions.

It truly was one of the greatest team achievements ever in my opinion. Here we are twenty games in the season, and it's very likely no teams are still able to say they have a chance at it. I bet that's the case most years. I don't remember if the Mets were wire to wire for the division last year, but they obviously didn't win it all so it doesn't matter.

I believe the Mets went wire-to-wire. It is getting easier to since the
three division format came into being. Teams have done it in 1997, 1998,
2001, 2003, 2005 and 2006. The White Sox are the only one of the teams
to win it all. But since it's the White Sox who did it, let's just dismiss it as
a boring, meaningless, overrated, the-Red Sox-never-did-it-so-it-means
-nothing-statistic. (Unless we're speaking of the 1927 Yankees. Then it was
the most awesome feat in history.)

downstairs
04-25-2007, 03:41 PM

Actually the beginning of the year isn't an indication of how great/not great the feat is.

You can lose one game (opening day) and lose the shot.

If you're 5, 10, 15 ahead in July... you have to fail more than one game to lose 1st place.

Either way, it is not that great of a feat. I mean... imagine the AL West... any year now 3 of the 4 teams will completely stink, giving the eventual champ a walk-in-the-park all year.

PKalltheway
04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Either way, it is not that great of a feat.
Well you could say that about just going wire to wire in general. Hell, the 2003 Giants did it, and nobody really remembers that. But to go wire to wire, and SWEEP the World Series? Only two teams other than the Sox have accomplished that, those teams being the 1927 Yankees and the 1990 Reds.

Going wire to wire? Eh, it can happen from time to time. Going wire to wire and winning the World Series? That can happen too (and that's pretty damn rare too).

Going wire to wire and sweeping the World Series? Now THAT is a great feat! Anything that can have the Sox mentioned in the same breath as the 1927 Yankees is pretty awesome!:D:

areilly
04-27-2007, 12:43 PM
But since it's the White Sox who did it, let's just dismiss it as

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but can you point out even one credible baseball expert/authority/writer/repoter/player/whatever that ever dismissed the feat as trivial "since it's the White Sox who did it"?

jabrch
04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
I believe the Mets went wire-to-wire. It is getting easier to since the
three division format came into being. Teams have done it in 1997, 1998,
2001, 2003, 2005 and 2006. The White Sox are the only one of the teams
to win it all. But since it's the White Sox who did it, let's just dismiss it as

Isn't it fairly trivial? If you won or lost opening day is fairly irrelevant, and that would break this. Nobody pays attention to who was leading a division in May. It is trivial to me.