PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Blackout range???

ChiSox4Life
04-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know what the blackout rules/restrictions ESPN uses. I know the game is on ESPN tonight but, it also says on the commercials that in some locations ESPN News will be shown. Im over in northwest ohio and just wondering if I will get to watch the game or not. Thanks alot!

GO SOX!

my5thbench
04-25-2007, 01:02 PM
I know they get blacked out here in the South Bend area. Comcast has told me that it would not be necessary on those broadcasts which we can't get, which include WCIU & Comcast Sports Net Plus. I callled them last year on the day of one such game & they said they would try to lift the blackout for our area, but failed to get it done,

I intend to write to them soon regarding any such dates that are scheduled as such for this season & I hope it works with sme written advanced notice.

It also annoys me that we don't receive those two channels anyway as they are available on Comcast as near to here as Michigan City area. So i am going to point that out as well.

I hope some other Hoosiers will join me in writing them about these matters.
this is probably of no help to you in Ohio.

CRAW
04-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Man, that pisses me off! First I find out the game is on WCIU (I don't get it here in Iowa of course) and now it's on ESPN and sure to be blacked out because we're in the Chicago market w/ WGN and Comcast Sports Net. ****! :angry:

Fred Manrique
04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
I've never understood this but down in Bloomington, IN we get all ESPN games during the week blacked out. And it's not like we are in the Chicago Comcast zone.:angry:

CRAW
04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know what the blackout rules/restrictions ESPN uses. I know the game is on ESPN tonight but, it also says on the commercials that in some locations ESPN News will be shown. Im over in northwest ohio and just wondering if I will get to watch the game or not. Thanks alot!

GO SOX!

I doubt you will be blacked out, but I've been wrong before regarding the crazy black-out rules.

JDub35
04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
CRAW,

I don't think you will be blackout because it's on WCIU, not WGN or Comcast. I live in Des Moines where I don't receive WCIU or Comcast, so I'm hoping I'm not blacked out. However, I too have been wrong when it comes to the blackout rules. It's garbage....

ChiSox4Life
04-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Well Good Luck to everyone who is worried about being blacked out!

HartmanSox
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm screwed in so many ways by Comcast here it's ridiculous.

1. No Comcast Sports Net, instead we have "Comcast Local", which plays minor league hockey games and high school baseball. :rolleyes:
2. They recently moved WGN to a channel that is extremely fuzzy and unwatchable. They're response, "it's not an issue on our end." Meanwhile, it's been the same way for 2 years now. :rolleyes:
3. When the games are on ESPN, they are blacked out because I'm still in the blackout region. :rolleyes:
4. Can't get MLBTV because I'm in the blackout region.

The whole blackout thing is so dumb.

rowand33
04-25-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm assuming it'll be blacked out in Champaign?

cnw8052
04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Well, I'm alot closer to Chicago than you, but we don't get WCIU either. But ESPN gets blacked out because they consider us in the Chicago market. If we're in the Chicago market, then why the hell don't we get WCIU?

Thank God for CSN/CSN+, at least I get those games hassle free for the most part. WGN "stupidstation" is hit and miss.

Man, that pisses me off! First I find out the game is on WCIU (I don't get it here in Iowa of course) and now it's on ESPN and sure to be blacked out because we're in the Chicago market w/ WGN and Comcast Sports Net. ****! :angry:

CRAW
04-25-2007, 03:01 PM
CRAW,

I don't think you will be blackout because it's on WCIU, not WGN or Comcast. I live in Des Moines where I don't receive WCIU or Comcast, so I'm hoping I'm not blacked out. However, I too have been wrong when it comes to the blackout rules. It's garbage....

I hope you're right, but I'd be willing to put money on us being blacked out tonight. I remember last season, and a Tigers/Sox game was blacked out on Wednesday Night Baseball.

The Sunday night games on ESPN are not blacked out though. Go figure.

DarkHorse35
04-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I go to school about 45 minutes north of Cincy and I had a Sox/Tigers game last fall blacked out. It really confused me.

JermaineDye05
04-25-2007, 04:36 PM
This irritates me, as much as I love Hawk and DJ, I hate WCIU always tends to have bad quality.

southwstchi4life
04-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Any Idea about Madison, Wisconsin Anybody if its blacked out? Cause i definetly dont get wciu

Rockman218
04-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I know they get blacked out here in the South Bend area. Comcast has told me that it would not be necessary on those broadcasts which we can't get, which include WCIU & Comcast Sports Net Plus. I callled them last year on the day of one such game & they said they would try to lift the blackout for our area, but failed to get it done,

I intend to write to them soon regarding any such dates that are scheduled as such for this season & I hope it works with sme written advanced notice.

It also annoys me that we don't receive those two channels anyway as they are available on Comcast as near to here as Michigan City area. So i am going to point that out as well.

I hope some other Hoosiers will join me in writing them about these matters.
this is probably of no help to you in Ohio.

I called about the MYMICHIANA channel, which is supposed to air White Sox and Scrubs games this year, and they said it isn't available to my area even though i live in Granger. Yeah, i'm prayin the game isn't blacked out over here, (Which it was all the time last year) but i'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll try calling them too.

EMachine10
04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
anyone from u of i, or champaign for that matter, know about this? No WCIU down here, not sure if we get the ESPN feed or not

Taliesinrk
04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
YES!!! I'm in the Sox blackout range (zip: 47374), but I'm getting the game tonight!! awesome, because i thought it'd be blacked out

4th Gen. Sox Fan
04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Champaign has got the game on ESPN as well :gulp:

JDub35
04-25-2007, 08:06 PM
I have the game in Des Moines, hopefully they get it in!

PeoriaSoxFan
04-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Blacked out in Peoria. I hate the damn black out rules and WCIU.

kjhanson
04-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey man, you're just lucky that you get Comcast Sports Net. I'm a mere 25 miles north of you in Ames, and we get Fox Sports Net Midwest. The first thing I did at orientation 4 years ago was flip on a TV to check for FSN Chicago. Luckily it was there. Once Comcast took over, though, the games have been few and far between. Only ten more days til I get back to the homeland for good!

rowand33
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
anyone from u of i, or champaign for that matter, know about this? No WCIU down here, not sure if we get the ESPN feed or not

We're getting it.

Which I'm actually shocked about, but it seems we're getting it. We'll know for sure at 7:30

gobears1987
04-25-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm getting it at Purdue!

4th Gen. Sox Fan
04-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Those ****ers switched over to ESPNnews:angry: :angry:

oeo
04-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm getting it at Purdue!

No you're not...they were just playing with us all. ESPNews it is. :(:

Taliesinrk
04-25-2007, 08:31 PM
mother ****er.. this is complete bull****.. they go to the game and we hear the telecasters talk at around 7:05, and then when they go back at 7:30 it goes to ESPNews..

JDub35
04-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Unbelievable......switched to ESPN News for me as well. :angry:

JermaineDye05
04-25-2007, 08:34 PM
just out of curiousity why do they do that? the whole black out thing with ESPN.

oeo
04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
This isn't ESPN's fault...the problem is WCIU. It needs to go.

JermaineDye05
04-25-2007, 08:38 PM
This isn't ESPN's fault...the problem is WCIU. It needs to go.

I agree, I hate WCIU.

ChiSox4Life
04-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow what some Bull Sh*t!! do they expect me to drive from ohio to watch the damn game or what? Those blackout rules are such Crap!!

PeoriaSoxFan
04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
I love the comments in this thread. It is a huge and ongoing gripe for me. It is flat our ridiculous why these games are blacked out.

ShoelessJoeS
04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
This is complete ****in bull****. ESPN News instead of the game at ISU?!? It's only 2 ****in hours south of the city!!!

bahn1225
04-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I have the game in Des Moines, hopefully they get it in!
Yet it's blacked out in Iowa City.
That don't make no sense (O Brother Where Art Thou)

How long does this Channel 26 contract last?

JDub35
04-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Yet it's blacked out in Iowa City.
That don't make no sense (O Brother Where Art Thou)

How long does this Channel 26 contract last?

No, unfortunately it is now blacked out in Des Moines as well. Garbage....

oeo
04-25-2007, 09:05 PM
I love the comments in this thread. It is a huge and ongoing gripe for me. It is flat our ridiculous why these games are blacked out.

It's flat out ridiculous that the Sox have a contract with WCIU. It's pretty obvious that not many people get the channel, and even those that do, hate it. It's a piece of crap; memo to Reinsdorf and the Sox: scrap the crap.

cnw8052
04-25-2007, 09:33 PM
That's why I call it "W-see us screw-U"........This blows.

ESPN News here in Rock Falls, only 100 mileswest of Chicago :mad:

I agree, I hate WCIU.

IlliniSox4Life
04-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Honestly, as much as I hate not being able to see the game here, I think having some games on WCIU is good for the team. The more games on free TV in Chicago, the better.

oeo
04-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Honestly, as much as I hate not being able to see the game here, I think having some games on WCIU is good for the team. The more games on free TV in Chicago, the better.

Key words there are, "in Chicago." I don't see how 10 games that are only shown in the Chicago area make that much of a difference.

oeo
04-25-2007, 09:43 PM

Key words there are, "in Chicago." I don't see how 10 games that are only shown in the Chicago area make that much of a difference. They would reach a broader audience by splitting those games between WGN and CSN.

IlliniSox4Life
04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Key words there are, "in Chicago." I don't see how 10 games that are only shown in the Chicago area make that much of a difference. They would reach a broader audience by splitting those games between WGN and CSN.

The difference is there are X amount of people in Chicago that don't have cable. Those people are much more likely to be/become Sox fans than people outside of Chicago. Every game helps.

Yeah, it would be great to have the games on WGN because it is free everywhere, but WGN has to sign off on that too. The Sox can't just demand WGN show the games.

edit: and from personal experience, my parents never used to have cable/CSN. I would watch EVERY game on WCIU/WGN, and hated when they were on CSN/ESPN. I'm sure I wasn't the only kid like that.

anewman35
04-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm not positive this is correct, but I'm pretty sure that the Sox actually have the contract with WGN, and it's WGN's choice to push some games onto WCIU. I know for sure that WGN produces the WCIU games, that's why the graphics look the same.

gosiu
04-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm not positive this is correct, but I'm pretty sure that the Sox actually have the contract with WGN, and it's WGN's choice to push some games onto WCIU. I know for sure that WGN produces the WCIU games, that's why the graphics look the same.
Exactly. Despite baseball's popularity, it doesn't bring in a lot of ad money on these cable networks. That's why there's less baseball in general on WGN and TBS.

gosiu
04-25-2007, 10:27 PM
The Sunday night games on ESPN are not blacked out though. Go figure.
It's the only active game playing.

Yay, I figured!

Madscout
04-25-2007, 10:56 PM
I've never understood this but down in Bloomington, IN we get all ESPN games during the week blacked out. And it's not like we are in the Chicago Comcast zone.:angry:

Unless, of course, the Yankees or the Red Sox are playing. Then the whole nation must see the glory of East Coast Baseball!

MrT27
04-25-2007, 11:07 PM
The game is now on ESPN, at least for me. Guess they just lifted it at 10