PDA

View Full Version : So is it time to worry about Thornton yet?

White City
04-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I know he has had some productive appearances beside the three "blown save" outings, but it certainly seems like something could be wrong. I'm not calling "Just like Politte in 2006" or anything like that, but I don't think Sisco or Logan are ready to give us what we were expecting from #37 this season.

Please tell me why I shouldn't be worried.

jenn2080
04-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I know he has had some productive appearances beside the three "blown save" outings, but it certainly seems like something could be wrong. I'm not calling "Just like Politte in 2006" or anything like that, but I don't think Sisco or Logan are ready to give us what we were expecting from #37 this season.

Did you listen to Mike North this morning?

White City
04-25-2007, 08:34 AM
What channel in Georgia carries him?

jenn2080
04-25-2007, 08:38 AM
What channel in Georgia carries him?

:tealtutor:

They were actully talking about Thorton being the Cotts or Pollitte of 07.

DumpJerry
04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
It is April 25th and there has not been any real baseball weather yet.

Check back in June to see if worries are in order.

russ99
04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Did you listen to Mike North this morning?

Thornton has had good and bad outings this season. I certainly won't use last night as the case to get worried, as the conditions certainly affected both teams, especially as we caught a break with the rain in the 9th.

I also think Ozzie needs to define roles a bit better - he's shuttling guys in and out a bit too fast for my liking but I understand it's a feeling-out process at this point. Regardless, the Sox bullpen is vastly better than last year.

itsnotrequired
04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
I love threads that are started for the purpose of asking people not to talk about something anymore. It ranks second behind the classic "if you don' like it, don't read it and don't respond to it" posts that are made whenever poster 1 doesn't like what poster 2 says about whatever topic poster 1 is discussing.

rdivaldi
04-25-2007, 10:07 AM
I love threads that are started for the purpose of asking people not to talk about something anymore. It ranks second behind the classic "if you don' like it, don't read it and don't respond to it" posts that are made whenever poster 1 doesn't like what poster 2 says about whatever topic poster 1 is discussing.

"So is it time to worry about Thornton yet?"

I fail to see how the title of this thread is related to either of those two scenarios.

:?:

itsnotrequired
04-25-2007, 10:12 AM
"So is it time to worry about Thornton yet?"

I fail to see how the title of this thread is related to either of those two scenarios.

:?:

I'm not really CLR01 but I play him on WSI from time-to-time.

:redneck

Hitmen77
04-25-2007, 10:52 AM

I'm not worried - it's too early. Like you said, Matt had some good outings before his struggles the last 2 nights in KC. Almost every reliever is going to have times where they give up hits.

At this rate, we're going to have a new thread here titled "Is it time to worry about (fill in the blank)" every week. A few days ago, it was Jenks. Now it's Thornton. If Aardsma isn't lights out in his next outing, he'll get the next thread.

What I'd like to see is our starters pitch later into the game more often so that our bullpen doesn't get worn out. That's probably my biggest concern about the pen right now.

BanditJimmy
04-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Only reasons I could think somehting can be wrong with him:

1. Why Boone Logan was called up rather than an OF to replace Pods
2. Why Ozzie has been shy to go imediately to Thornton the last week or so.

His velocity looks OK at 93-95, last year was more like 95-97.

White City
04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Right -- the Boone Logan call-up is, I think, causing some of my discomfort. Maybe Boone was just the first reliever on the list. Or maybe the coaches are worried about having a Lefty hole soon.

I think Thornton is the key to the Sox bullpen; with him (in '06 form), they're arguably the best in the league. Without him, hmm. Still pretty good, but ...

Thornton's results prior to '06 are also a data point to consider. He wasn't very good for Seattle. His numbers thus far (albeit only 10% of a likely season's work) look more like Seattle Matt than Chicago Matt.

skottyj242
04-25-2007, 11:54 AM
It is April 25th and there has not been any real baseball weather yet.

Check back in June to see if worries are in order.

What exactly is "real baseball weather?" It's like this in late October, is that not real weather?

Tragg
04-25-2007, 11:58 AM
That's one reason to stockpile arms - for when middle relievers go bad, which, almost by definition, most will do.
If you could trust them long term, they wouldn't be.....

I have no idea whether he's going bad, but if he does, we should have ready replacements.

PatK
04-25-2007, 12:01 PM
I'll start worrying when the Sox go 1-6 instead of 6-1 in the last seven games.

It's early, don't let a couple of bad outings at the beginning of the season worry you. It's not like he's Scott Eyre

UserNameBlank
04-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Thornton has been falling behind early and coming back with high fastballs over the plate. I'm concerned about him right now, but I think he will settle down as I would imagine Ozzie will use him sparingly against lefties until his control improves. Aardsma, Masset, and MacDougal are all throwing the ball well so Thornton and Sisco both shouldn't have to work many full innings right away.

chitownhawkfan
04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I just really hope he doesn't struggle too much, because that could only lead to one thing.

MORE BOONE LOGAN!
:obligatory chunks pic:

ondafarm
04-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Thornton doesn't look like Scott Eyre yet, so I'm not really worried. A few bad outings, maybe I pick his spots a little more carefully and we'll see. A lot of relief pitchers have bad years following good ones.

Vernam
04-25-2007, 02:10 PM
The real question is whether Sisco is like Marte in 2005. :cool:

Vernam

Huisj
04-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Thornton's results prior to '06 are also a data point to consider. He wasn't very good for Seattle. His numbers thus far (albeit only 10% of a likely season's work) look more like Seattle Matt than Chicago Matt.

I don't know, his number don't really look much like his Seattle numbers. In Seattle his major problem was walks--he issued tons of them. He hasn't done that this year though. Instead, he's just giving up lots of hits, which is not something he ever really did with Seattle. He's also not striking guys out like he used to.

Then again, his hits problem could be control related, as someone else pointed out. He's falling behind, and instead of walking them like he did in Seattle, he's grooving fastballs and they are sitting on them.

peeonwrigley
04-25-2007, 04:44 PM
What exactly is "real baseball weather?" It's like this in late October, is that not real weather?

Opposite of Bear weather.

JB98
04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Matt says he's figured out the problem: Guys are sitting on first-pitch strike. He pointed out that he gave up three hits on first-pitch swings in KC. He needs to mix it up more early in the count.

We shall see his next time out. That HR by Sizemore the second game of the season was on the first pitch. Maybe he's on to something.

Bill Naharodny
04-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Matt says he's figured out the problem: Guys are sitting on first-pitch strike. He pointed out that he gave up three hits on first-pitch swings in KC. He needs to mix it up more early in the count.

We shall see his next time out. That HR by Sizemore the second game of the season was on the first pitch. Maybe he's on to something.

That could be, but most pitchers are trying to throw first pitch strikes, and hitters know it. But when the pitcher is throwing 97, those hitters can't do much about it. If, however, the velocity is lower, the pitcher has more of a problem. That's what may be the case with Thornton -- not location, but velocity. It bears watching, I guess.