PDA

View Full Version : Yanks hitting the panic button; Call up Hughes

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Phil Hughes will be making his major league debut earlier than expected. A day after getting swept by the Boston Red Sox (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/red_sox), the New York Yankees (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/yankees) said Monday they plan on having their top pitching prospect start Thursday against Toronto.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/04/23/bc.bba.yankees.hughes.ap/index.html

Who would have ever guessed you needed solid pitching to win? :dunno:

soxfan13
04-24-2007, 02:47 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/04/23/bc.bba.yankees.hughes.ap/index.html

Who would have ever guessed you needed solid pitching to win? :dunno:

I think there is a bit of a difference between needing solid pitching and have over half your rotation go on the DL

oeo
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
I think there is a bit of a difference between needing solid pitching and have over have your rotation go on the DL

That's to be expected when your rotation consists of guys like Mussina and Pavano. And behind Mussina and Wang, I don't like their rotation at all.

They should have traded Sheffield for a pitcher that could contribute today...not a guy that may never contribute at the big league level (he's headed for Tommy John surgery).

The Yankees are not being a very smart organization. They spend all that money on offensive production, but they always seem to forget that they need a solid, healthy rotation to win. The offense may be able to tread water during the regular season, but you need pitching, pitching, pitching in the playoffs.

russ99
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd love to be listening in when Clemens tells the Yanks what to do with their $20 million...

Jjav829
04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
That's to be expected when your rotation consists of guys like Mussina and Pavano. And behind Mussina and Wang, I don't like their rotation at all.

They should have traded Sheffield for a pitcher that could contribute today...not a guy that may never contribute at the big league level (he's headed for Tommy John surgery).

The Yankees are not being a very smart organization. They spend all that money on offensive production, but they always seem to forget that they need a solid, healthy rotation to win. The offense may be able to tread water during the regular season, but you need pitching, pitching, pitching in the playoffs.

I completely disagree. The Yankees are actually going in the right direction. They could have traded Sheffield for some mediocre starter that will be decent for them for a few years and helped them now. But instead they decided to get a young pitcher who they could control for 6 years if he develops. The Yankees pitching problem for the past few years has come from their inability to bring along minor leaguers that can be valuable contributors to their rotation. Everytime they need a starter, they sign a Carl Pavano or trade for a Randy Johnson (or rely on some crappy minor leaguer with little potential.) In acquiring Sanchez, and keeping Hughes (instead of trading him for immediate rotation help), they finally seem to be making a committment to developing young pitching.

oeo
04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
I completely disagree. The Yankees are actually going in the right direction. They could have traded Sheffield for some mediocre starter that will be decent for them for a few years and helped them now. But instead they decided to get a young pitcher who they could control for 6 years if he develops. The Yankees pitching problem for the past few years has come from their inability to bring along minor leaguers that can be valuable contributors to their rotation. Everytime they need a starter, they sign a Carl Pavano or trade for a Randy Johnson (or rely on some crappy minor leaguer with little potential.) In acquiring Sanchez, and keeping Hughes (instead of trading him for immediate rotation help), they finally seem to be making a committment to developing young pitching.

They traded Sheffield for a huge injury risk (who is going under the knife now). It wasn't a secret that Sanchez was an injury risk, everyone and their mother knew it...which is probably why the Tigers traded him. I don't see this as a very smart move at all; they're being their typical stupid selves.

With a package centered around Sheffield, I'm sure they could have gotten a young pitcher that was major league ready. Now, I only say this because the Yankees are always about now. Well, if they're about now, they could have traded a couple of their great offensive pieces for a young starter that can help you now and in the future...or at least don't trade him for someone already known to have injury troubles. That's one thing I know Kenny wouldn't do, trade for an injury risk; that's stupid.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2007, 09:58 PM
How could :hughes save the Yankees??? Oh, I was just going by the title of the thread.

areilly
04-24-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd just like to point out that as of right now, the Yankees are in last place. True, it's only April...but that still looks weird.

Jjav829
04-24-2007, 10:42 PM
They traded Sheffield for a huge injury risk (who is going under the knife now). It wasn't a secret that Sanchez was an injury risk, everyone and their mother knew it...which is probably why the Tigers traded him. I don't see this as a very smart move at all; they're being their typical stupid selves.

With a package centered around Sheffield, I'm sure they could have gotten a young pitcher that was major league ready. Now, I only say this because the Yankees are always about now. Well, if they're about now, they could have traded a couple of their great offensive pieces for a young starter that can help you now and in the future...or at least don't trade him for someone already known to have injury troubles. That's one thing I know Kenny wouldn't do, trade for an injury risk; that's stupid.

Well, if you want to knock them for picking the wrong guy, fine. But you can't knock the approach. The Yankees absolutely need to begin to develop young pitching in their farm system. They've ignored it too long and now Cashman wants to focus on developing young pitching, which is the right move. He received 3 minor league pitchers for a 38-year-old outfielder coming off a season where he played only 39 games, who also wanted a contract extension. I doubt teams were lining up to throw good, young, major league ready starting pitchers at the Yankees. And Sanchez is only 23. It's not like he can't come back from this and still be a major league pitcher.

Yes, the Tigers were willing to trade Sanchez because of his injury risk. The Yankees felt it was worth the gamble for a guy with his upside. Maybe the other pitchers on the table didn't have as much potential as Sanchez, so they felt the higher reward was worthy of the higher risk. And all pitchers are risks in the end. Whether it's an injury risk like Sanchez, or a risk of just sucking like Gavin Floyd, it's still a risk. Sometimes you have to shoot high and hope the risk pays off.

churlish
04-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah, it's only April. The Yankees have the best offense in all of baseball. They're going to win a lot of games, as a result. Fortunately, the pitching will doom them again.

I love seeing them in last place, but, sadly, it's only April, and they'll be fighting for the division lead by the middle of May.

oeo
04-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, if you want to knock them for picking the wrong guy, fine. But you can't knock the approach. The Yankees absolutely need to begin to develop young pitching in their farm system. They've ignored it too long and now Cashman wants to focus on developing young pitching, which is the right move. He received 3 minor league pitchers for a 38-year-old outfielder coming off a season where he played only 39 games, who also wanted a contract extension. I doubt teams were lining up to throw good, young, major league ready starting pitchers at the Yankees. And Sanchez is only 23. It's not like he can't come back from this and still be a major league pitcher.

Yes, the Tigers were willing to trade Sanchez because of his injury risk. The Yankees felt it was worth the gamble for a guy with his upside. Maybe the other pitchers on the table didn't have as much potential as Sanchez, so they felt the higher reward was worthy of the higher risk. And all pitchers are risks in the end. Whether it's an injury risk like Sanchez, or a risk of just sucking like Gavin Floyd, it's still a risk. Sometimes you have to shoot high and hope the risk pays off.

Well, we agree then. I never said they should have traded Sheffield for a mediocre SP, just someone that could contribute now. Their rotation is pretty weak overall even with Mussina and Wang, I'm just saying they could have gotten a young guy that was ready to pitch in the bigs.

Scottiehaswheels
04-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Who was it that predicted 110 wins for them this year? They may wish to rethink that one... :D:

HomeFish
04-24-2007, 11:39 PM
The 21st century Yankees always suck in April. And May. And sometimes even June.

Then once late summer comes around, they smash their way back into first place and make a first-round playoff exit.

We've seen the exact same season from them year after year. I see no reason why this will be any different.

Deebs14
04-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Yeah, it's only April. The Yankees have the best offense in all of baseball. They're going to win a lot of games, as a result. Fortunately, the pitching will doom them again.

I love seeing them in last place, but, sadly, it's only April, and they'll be fighting for the division lead by the middle of May.

I feel ya, but since I know quite a few Yankees "fans" it's always nice to give them **** whenever teams like the D-Rays are looking down upon them in the standings...even if it's only April.

Until those jagoffs get some decent pitching they'll be nothing more than the Indians of the 90s...score ten runs but give up 12.

dcb56
04-25-2007, 01:07 AM
The 21st century Yankees always suck in April. And May. And sometimes even June.

Then once late summer comes around, they smash their way back into first place and make a first-round playoff exit.

We've seen the exact same season from them year after year. I see no reason why this will be any different.

You got it, though one of these years they are going to get off to a slow start and not recover. Will this be the year? I dunno, their pitching looks like dog**** and Toronto continues to imrpove, but it's hard to bet against a team with such a potent offense. Once we get into the dog days they'll score their share of runs for sure.

DumpJerry
04-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Yeah, it's only April. The Yankees have A-Rod. They're going to win a lot of games, as a result. Fortunately, the pitching will doom them again.

Fixed it for ya.

churlish
04-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Fixed it for ya.

The situation that will cause the most amusement for non-Yankees fans like myself, would be for ARod to go in a slump at the same time the rest of the team picks it up. Then, the Yankees fans can go on booing ARod because he hasn't been a part of the winning streak.

It'll show their extreme class.

palehozenychicty
04-25-2007, 10:28 AM
The situation that will cause the most amusement for non-Yankees fans like myself, would be for ARod to go in a slump at the same time the rest of the team picks it up. Then, the Yankees fans can go on booing ARod because he hasn't been a part of the winning streak.

It'll show their extreme class.

Just wait until June.

DSpivack
04-25-2007, 11:36 AM
You got it, though one of these years they are going to get off to a slow start and not recover. Will this be the year? I dunno, their pitching looks like dog**** and Toronto continues to imrpove, but it's hard to bet against a team with such a potent offense. Once we get into the dog days they'll score their share of runs for sure.

In this way they remind me of the Braves. Eventually it caught up to them, and they missed the playoffs last year.

Rockin Robin
04-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, i'm at least curious to see how this kid is going to do...i'll be tuned in