PDA

View Full Version : Another blowup for "Uncle Lou" ?

SOXPHILE
04-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Did anyone see or hear what happened after the Brewers-Cubs game last night ? After watching the Sox win their game (:bandance: )...I flipped over to that game, and saw the score was tied in the 9th. When that inning ended, and I saw it was going into extras, I didn't really care, and channel surfed for about 5 minutes before going to bed. Today, I've been listening sporadically to the radio at work, and they've been talking about how Pinella had some sort of meltdown, and was yelling at the umpires after the game ? What happened ? From what I heard, the Cubs lost the game, and he was pissed about one of their calls, and now, the last I heard, their hitting coach might be suspended ? Should be a fun summer at the Urinal....

kobo
04-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Did anyone see or hear what happened after the Brewers-Cubs game last night ? After watching the Sox win their game (:bandance: )...I flipped over to that game, and saw the score was tied in the 9th. When that inning ended, and I saw it was going into extras, I didn't really care, and channel surfed for about 5 minutes before going to bed. Today, I've been listening sporadically to the radio at work, and they've been talking about how Pinella had some sort of meltdown, and was yelling at the umpires after the game ? What happened ? From what I heard, the Cubs lost the game, and he was pissed about one of their calls, and now, the last I heard, their hitting coach might be suspended ? Should be a fun summer at the Urinal....
It was the hitting coach who got into it with the umpires after the game, not Lou. All Lou did was refuse to speak to the media after the game.

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Chicago dropped to 3-8 at the thus-far unfriendly confines. Manager Lou Piniella declined to meet with reporters after the game, and hitting coach Gerald Perry could be heard shouting at an umpire in the tunnel just after it ended. The coaching staff had a closed door meeting in Piniella's office.The game ended on a called third strike from Derrick Turnbow (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6420) to Mark DeRosa (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6094), who didn't like the call.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270423116

SOXPHILE
04-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys ! I just heard more about it on the Score too. So, it's the umpires' fault that the Cubs lost, because Jackass Zambrano and the bullpen blew a 4 run lead, and DeRosa, batting with 2 outs, took an 0-2 pitch for called strike 3 ?:?:

Bruizer
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys ! I just heard more about it on the Score too. So, it's the umpires' fault that the Cubs lost, because Jackass Zambrano and the bullpen blew a 4 run lead, and DeRosa, batting with 2 outs, took an 0-2 pitch for called strike 3 ?:?:

I watched the end of the game with my daugther - it was a pretty bad call. It looked like the ump had made up his mind in the middle of the pitch before it tailed off. Of course they didn't lose the game because of the call, but I'm sure it was pretty frustrating.

Bru

TDog
04-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series ended with a called third strike to pinch hitter Dale Mitchell, who didn't like the call. Lots of games ended with called third strikes, and I'll bet most of the hitters who took those pitches didn't like the call.

It's easy to blame umpires. When you fall five games out of first place, losing a game your "better-than-Buehrle" (that's what all the Cubs fans say) stud pitcher started against a team he trash talked earlier in the season. The umpires must be the reason the Cubs are in last place, because, as I understand it, Cubs fans seemed so sure management had bought themselves a World Series. As if getting to the World Series is that easy.

It's only April. The Cubs' season isn't on life support. But it's still not too early to blame the umpires.

maurice
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
The account I heard is that Perry was bitching to the umps after the game ended, so they told him to shut up. His genius response? "Come over here and make me."

If this account is correct, I don't think the league will be too happy with Perry.

Dick Allen
04-24-2007, 01:43 PM
The last called strike was pretty bad. DeRosa was probably hoping for a chance to get another cheap hit like the one that sent the game on Sunday into extra innings. Too bad.

CubKilla
04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Let's all conveniently forget the fact that strike 2, which DeRosa swung at and missed, was belt high down the middle of the plate.

All teams eventually have calls go against them..... even HR's that are called fouls :?: . Good teams rise above the bad calls and find a way to win.

SOXPHILE
04-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Now I see what happened. I've had a chance to listen to the radio some more, and right now, B & B are going over it, ripping on Lou for missing the press conference, and The Jackass for all his gesticulating, and sack grabbing after every pitch.

Palehose Pete
04-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Scott "Wow, look how far that ball is flying into the" Eyre blew that save faster than a... well, he blew it pretty fast is all I'm going to say.

Watching the Cubs lose is like watching a mathematical equation work itself out in real life. Like Ron Burgundy said, "It's science."

Yes, there are going to be fun times at Wiggley this summer.

PatK
04-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Let's all conveniently forget the fact that strike 2, which DeRosa swung at and missed, was belt high down the middle of the plate.

I want to say the first pitch of the at bat was shoulder high.

WSox597
04-24-2007, 04:54 PM
I wonder if Lou is having second thoughts yet.

"I was comfortable in the booth, no pressures, no worries. And then I had a weak moment, and now I'm herding these no-talent cats around. What was I thinking?!"

Or something like that.

"At least I'm not in the stands, so concrete can't fall on my head."

AZChiSoxFan
04-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I wonder if Lou is having second thoughts yet.

"I was comfortable in the booth, no pressures, no worries. And then I had a weak moment, and now I'm herding these no-talent cats around. What was I thinking?!"

Or something like that.

"At least I'm not in the stands, so concrete can't fall on my head."

You forgot to mention 40 foot curveballs. :D:

Domeshot17
04-24-2007, 06:36 PM
not defending the cubs too much here, but its not the derosa call as much as the call on Lee. Lee was "tagged out" at 3rd, but was never touched, like clearly never touched. After he was called out, Error-miss hit a homer. Ended up being a big call in a 1 run game

FedEx227
04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
not defending the cubs too much here, but its not the derosa call as much as the call on Lee. Lee was "tagged out" at 3rd, but was never touched, like clearly never touched. After he was called out, Error-miss hit a homer. Ended up being a big call in a 1 run game

But Lee should have never been in a position to get called out. Why are you stealing 3rd in that situation?! You have your big time power-hitter up, Lee doesn't have blazing speed and its early in the game. That's micromanaging small-ball way too much.

Domeshot17
04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
But Lee should have never been in a position to get called out. Why are you stealing 3rd in that situation?! You have your big time power-hitter up, Lee doesn't have blazing speed and its early in the game. That's micromanaging small-ball way too much.

Oh I completely 100000% agree. My point was that was what the whole blowup was about. The umps zone was huge all night, it was a horribly ump'd game, BOTH WAYS. I was just explaining about the Lee thing.

I also will say, Good teams over come bad calls, bad teams use them as an excuse.

Vernam
04-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Scott "Wow, look how far that ball is flying into the" Eyre blew that save faster than a... well, he blew it pretty fast is all I'm going to say. I usually hate Bermanisms, but in this case I'll make an exception. :rolling:

Vernam