PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 4-25

Lip Man 1
04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
April 25, 1951 - Sox slugger Eddie Robinson hits the first rooftop home run by a Sox player at the original Comiskey Park. Robinson’s blast is off the Browns Al Widmar. The Sox won this one 8 - 6.

April 25, 2004 - One of the best front office moves ever made by current ownership. Brooks Boyer is named vice president of marketing replacing the taciturn and aloof Rob Gallas. Boyer immediately institutes a series of great ad campaigns including ‘Sox Pride,’ and ‘Win Or Die Trying’ that keys interest, tweaks the Cubs and generates excitement among the fan base as the Sox would win the 2005 World Series title.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/exe_mugs/boyer.jpg

Lip

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2007, 02:46 PM
I love Brooks, but Rob Gallas is a good man too from what I hear. But Brooks is better at this job.

stl_sox_fan
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Gallas came up with "The Kids Can Play" campain right? I like that slogan when the Sox were such a young team with tons of promise.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2007, 03:04 PM
White Sox:

I'm not saying he isn't but the fact that he had difficulty coming across as an accessable and positive force in his position to the general public and the media was a real handicap to the organization.

Many have told me that he was basically given a 'leave or big fired,' edict.

Lip

chisox77
04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I would have to agree with Lip. And it's no disrespect to Rob Gallas, who probably has very good personal qualities. He did have the job for a long while and may have done some great things.

But an execuative PR position requires accessability, energy, and the ability to translate ideas into strong and positive perceptions about the organization. In a very short time, Brooks has accomplished much. It seems there is always something fresh and proactive coming out of his office.

:cool: