PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle signing chances?

LITTLE NELL
04-24-2007, 09:26 AM
This guy is our ace, what are the chances we will sign him? Based on the Sox track record with pitchers I say 20% we sign him 80% hes a Cardinal next year. It will break my heart but thats baseball.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I totally agree with you on this one.

DumpJerry
04-24-2007, 09:39 AM
He's a bum. Anyone who can't put together two no-hitters in a row is not worthy of wearing the White Sox uniform.

stl_sox_fan
04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm hoping he's still wearing a Sox jersey next year. But April 18th he pitches a no-no, April 19th he's calling into 590 here in St Louis to talk about it. Makes me a bit suspicious/cautious/anxious. My suggestion during the next rain delay at the Cell, let MARK SLIDE ON THE FRIGGIN TARP!!!!

oeo
04-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm hoping he's still wearing a Sox jersey next year. But April 18th he pitches a no-no, April 19th he's calling into 590 here in St Louis to talk about it. Makes me a bit suspicious/cautious/anxious. My suggestion during the next rain delay at the Cell, let MARK SLIDE ON THE FRIGGIN TARP!!!!

Why does that bother you? Buehrle has said time and time again that he wants to stay here, he loves the city, the team, and the fans. It's going to come down to whether the Sox offer the contract he's looking for, not him wanting to get out of here. Don't listen to the crap the media is spewing; I trust Buehrle's word. If the Sox offer him a fair contract, he will stay; if not, he deserves whatever fat contract he gets.

And not being able to slide on the tarp is not a reason to leave. You think the Cardinals would let him do that? They're one of the most uptight teams in the league; there's no way.

stl_sox_fan
04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Why does that bother you? Buehrle has said time and time again that he wants to stay here, he loves the city, the team, and the fans. It's going to come down to whether the Sox offer the contract he's looking for, not him wanting to get out of here. Don't listen to the crap the media is spewing; I trust Buehrle's word. If the Sox offer him a fair contract, he will stay; if not, he deserves whatever fat contract he gets.

And not being able to slide on the tarp is not a reason to leave. You think the Cardinals would let him do that? They're one of the most uptight teams in the league; there's no way.

Should've had my comment in teal.
You are on the $$$ with that comment though.

04-24-2007, 10:22 AM
If he accepts the typical 3 year deal he will be a Sox next year...but I'm certain someone will give him a 6-7 year deal...hell if Ted Lily got a 4 year and Gil Meche a 5, Bueherle will get a 6, and we don't offer 6 year deals to pitchers....next year is Garland last year too so we get to do it alllll over again.

oeo
04-24-2007, 10:25 AM
If he accepts the typical 3 year deal he will be a Sox next year...but I'm certain someone will give him a 6-7 year deal...hell if Ted Lily got a 4 year and Gil Meche a 5, Bueherle will get a 6, and we don't offer 6 year deals to pitchers....next year is Garland last year too so we get to do it alllll over again.

I think the Sox will make an exception for Buehrle and offer him 4 or 5 years.

If we sign Buehrle, I don't think we'll sign Garland...but we'll have the younger guys ready. If Buehrle is re-signed, I could see the Sox trading Garland over the offseason.

johnr1note
04-24-2007, 10:27 AM
My hope is the White Sox will make an exception with Mark. Maybe go to a 4 or 5 year deal that has some incentives to make it more interesting for him. The truth of the matter is, whatever offer the Sox make to Mark during or after the season has to be somewhere on the "fair market" level. Look at what happened with Konerko. He took a little less dough to stay put. I think Mark is the kind of guy who would go for a such an offer, provided its really fair. If the Sox are in the postseason again, it can help, for sure.

kevingrt
04-24-2007, 10:28 AM

I have to agree with you on that one. Watching Mark and Man Soo slide on the tarp is great rain delay theater. And if Mark fails to sign with us after the season and is on another team I will think the banning of tarp sliding did us in. Unfortunate.

But please Mark stay with the southsiders.

russ99
04-24-2007, 10:31 AM
This guy is our ace, what are the chances we will sign him? Based on the Sox track record with pitchers I say 20% we sign him 80% hes a Cardinal next year. It will break my heart but thats baseball.

I dunno, I think it's more like 60-40 against. I can see him taking a bit less to sign with the Sox, like Konerko, but I also think if he hits the open market he'll be way too expensive for the Cardinals. I'd give the Mets or Angels the inside track if the Sox don't give him a decent offer.

The Immigrant
04-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm convinced that the Sox will offer both Buehrle and Garland 4-5 year deals (with four years guaranteed and an option/buyout for the last year, which is a JR specialty), and I think both will be here for the long term. Contreras will ride off into the sunset when his current deal expires (he should be eligible for social security benefits at that point), but Buehrle, Garland and Vazquez will form the core of a young pitching stuff for years to come.

This is why stockpiling young arms was so important - because having two minimum salary "serfs" round out your pitching rotation allows you to spend $40 million/year on your veteran starters. This is also why Fields and Sweeney will be given every chance to succeed.

itsnotrequired
04-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I dunno, I think it's more like 60-40 against. I can see him taking a bit less to sign with the Sox, like Konerko, but I also think if he hits the open market he'll be way too expensive for the Cardinals. I'd give the Mets or Angels the inside track if the Sox don't give him a decent offer.

Bingo. Why are so many convinced that Buhrle will be a Cardinal? Because he said its his favorite team? Because he grew up there? Because he wears their hat? This isn't Roger Clemens we're talking about here. The guy can't just sit back and choose whatever team he wants.

SoxxoS
04-24-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm convinced that the Sox will offer both Buehrle and Garland 4-5 year deals (with four years guaranteed and an option/buyout for the last year, which is a JR specialty), and I think both will be here for the long term. Contreras will ride off into the sunset when his current deal expires (he should be eligible for social security benefits at that point), but Buehrle, Garland and Vazquez will form the core of a young pitching stuff for years to come.

This is why stockpiling young arms was so important - because having two minimum salary "serfs" round out your pitching rotation allows you to spend $40 million/year on your veteran starters. This is also why Fields and Sweeney will be given every chance to succeed.

Has JR EVER offered over a four year contract to a pitcher? I might be wrong, but I think the last was Jaime Navarro - Which makes me think he is going to be slightly hesitant to ever do that again.

INSox56
04-24-2007, 10:50 AM
You know, I think it'll come down to years. I think the yearly salary will be comparable to what other teams offer, I just think it'll come down to matching someone's length of contract. I'm usually in the camp that Jerry's right, too many years is a bad thing for pitchers...but in this case, I disagree. I think Mark is worth a long contract, with his age and his complete durability, I don't see him not being worth it and being able to play well throughout a long contract.

veeter
04-24-2007, 11:06 AM
The Sox will make Mark a great offer. It probably won't match the best offers in length, but will come close or match in dollars per year. Then Kenny will say, 'your either with us or against us.' Then it will be up to Mark; just like with Konerko. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Mark leaves, he will regret it.

Jurr
04-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm with veeter on this one.

Buehrle has to consider a legacy. Not too many guys get to spend their careers with the same team. Buehrle is not the type of guy to want some team to break the bank for him. All he talks about is how happy having land, hunting, family, etc. makes him. Then again, he has one chance to secure generations of his family in a financial sense with this last contract.

He grew up in the Sox system. He won a WS and now recorded a no-hitter with the team. The fans and players absolutely adore him. He'll have expectations in Chicago, but I'm not sure how happy he would be going into another organization on the coattails of some crazy contract, having to live up to that. Buehrle doesn't seem to enjoy too much of a fuss about him, and moving somewhere else would put him under intense scrutiny.

He's #1 in Sox fans' hearts, and if KW gives him a strong offer, he's gotta stay. All that said, I believe it's 55-45 against.

sox1970
04-24-2007, 11:14 AM
It'll be like the Konerko deal. He'll go out on the market, and the Sox will have to step up and give him the years that he deserves if he has a good season. It's not going to come down to annual salary. It'll come down to number of years. The Sox will concede to a 4 or 5 year deal if they're smart. I think there are exceptions to every rule, and Buehrle would certainly fall into that category. I say he stays.

veeter
04-24-2007, 11:24 AM
The legacy thing, as Jurr points out, is, or should be, important to heady guys like Buehrle. To be remembered throughout history, like the 'Big Red Machine', 'Bronx Bombers', or 'The Swingin' A's', is huge. Look, Mark is going to be filthy rich no matter what. I just think these White Sox are going to put together a dominant decade, that will be documented. The division will be remembered for a long time as well. The big question is, what will the Sox catch phrase be?

Jurr
04-24-2007, 11:26 AM
The legacy thing, as Jurr points out, is, or should be, important to heady guys like Buehrle. To be remembered throughout history, like the 'Big Red Machine', 'Bronx Bombers', or 'The Swingin' A's', is huge. Look, Mark is going to be filthy rich no matter what. I just think these White Sox are going to put together a dominant decade, that will be documented. The division will be remembered for a long time as well. The big question is, what will the Sox catch phrase be?

The team of the the Decade :

Why Sox Beizbol - Winning gains is fung.

TDog
04-24-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm with veeter on this one.

Buehrle has to consider a legacy. Not too many guys get to spend their careers with the same team. Buehrle is not the type of guy to want some team to break the bank for him. All he talks about is how happy having land, hunting, family, etc. makes him. Then again, he has one chance to secure generations of his family in a financial sense with this last contract.

He grew up in the Sox system. He won a WS and now recorded a no-hitter with the team. The fans and players absolutely adore him. He'll have expectations in Chicago, but I'm not sure how happy he would be going into another organization on the coattails of some crazy contract, having to live up to that. Buehrle doesn't seem to enjoy too much of a fuss about him, and moving somewhere else would put him under intense scrutiny.

He's #1 in Sox fans' hearts, and if KW gives him a strong offer, he's gotta stay. All that said, I believe it's 55-45 against.

I would hope Buehrle's place in White Sox history -- the possibility that his image could be on the outfield wall some day -- and the affection Sox fans feel for him count for something. What we know of his character seems to indicate it counts for something.

Tom Seaver is beloved in Mets history. The 1969 season looms large in his legend, but some feel it unfortunate (perhaps even Seaver, as none of his moves were voluntary) that he pitched his no-hitter with the Reds, won his 300th game with the White Sox and finished his career with the Red Sox. White Sox fans never loved Tom Seaver the way that Mets fans did.

I hope such considerations factor into Buehrle's thinking.

veeter
04-24-2007, 11:45 AM
The team of the the Decade :

Why Sox Beizbol - Winning gains is fung.Very nice.

veeter
04-24-2007, 11:48 AM
I would hope Buehrle's place in White Sox history -- the possibility that his image could be on the outfield wall some day -- and the affection Sox fans feel for him count for something. What we know of his character seems to indicate it counts for something.

Tom Seaver is beloved in Mets history. The 1969 season looms large in his legend, but some feel it unfortunate (perhaps even Seaver, as none of his moves were voluntary) that he pitched his no-hitter with the Reds, won his 300th game with the White Sox and finished his career with the Red Sox. White Sox fans never loved Tom Seaver the way that Mets fans did.

I hope such considerations factor into Buehrle's thinking.MB seems like the kind of guy that would consider these points.

hawkjt
04-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I would love for kenny to approach MB at the all-star break with a 4 year/50 million with another option year on it for 12-13 million.

If accepted it would mean that MB would have almost 100 million with the sox over a 12 year career- like many have said, he is not a greedy sob that would not consider 100 million a lot of money...

I just love our dynamic duo of mb and jonny garland... they are durable, dependable and so poised out on the mound... keep them both for the bulk of their careers and the sox will always be competitive.. with massett and danks and gio filling in the other spots eventually... they could be the sox version of maddux,glavin and the braves..

DumpJerry
04-24-2007, 12:34 PM

I'm with you on this one. The main reason why an owner has to be on Crack Cocaine to offer a starter more than 3 or 4 years is the injury factor. Mark has never been on the DL in 6+ years. I cannot recall if Garland has been there either. Contreras will ride off into the sunset after this contract is up or sign with us for one more year.

Bob G
04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I think it's all going to depend on the kind of year MB (and JG for that matter) have along with the team. Best case scenario is they both win 20+ games this season and we win the WS again. If this happens, KW will feel intense pressure to sign both to long term deals.

jabrch
04-24-2007, 01:11 PM
A lot also will depend on how Danks and Gio develop this year. Since Danks already looks like he will be able to stay in the rotation, that's 1 LHP. If Gio develops to project out to be a #3 or better, then we will have 2 LH SP. That lessens the need to spend big bucks to keep Mark and pay the LH premium that he might command over an equal skilled RHP.

INSox56
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I would love for kenny to approach MB at the all-star break with a 4 year/50 million with another option year on it for 12-13 million.

You're joking, right? Take 12.5 guaranteed for 4 years? Zito got 18 per, MB would laugh at 12.5, there's no way that gets him.

pythons007
04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I just hope the Sox make an offer to him no matter what. I'll be extremely pissed off if they don't make him a ligitimate offer to stay a Sox for possibly the rest of his career. The guy has shown that he can play, stay healthy, and eat up innings year in and year out. He is well above 500 in his career at 99 and 66 and had only 1/2 of a bad year. This is one guy I hope does not get away from the WhiteSox.

dcb56
04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Has JR EVER offered over a four year contract to a pitcher? I might be wrong, but I think the last was Jaime Navarro - Which makes me think he is going to be slightly hesitant to ever do that again.

KW gave Javy a 3 year extension before this season with one year left on his deal. That essentially makes it a four year deal, so the Sox are willing to bend their policy of 3 years' max on pitchers. They're going to have to do this regardless if they wish to remain competitve in the market.

You're joking, right? Take 12.5 guaranteed for 4 years? Zito got 18 per, MB would laugh at 12.5, there's no way that gets him.

I agree, 12.5/yr for four years would be a serious lowball offer. I'm thinking it'll take at least 5/75 to keep him around.

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
If the Sox make Mark a competitive offer, I think he will stay, but after what Kenny said (or was quoted as saying) during SoxFest Mark might be a bit sore and there is also just as good a chance that Kenny and the Sox won't make Mark a very competitive offer.

sox1970
04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
I'd say 4 years, $56 million gets it done. But let's win a championship first.

gobears1987
04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
If the Sox don't sign Buehrle, I think that would be the point I call for KW's head.

jabrch
04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
If the Sox don't sign Buehrle, I think that would be the point I call for KW's head.

That's ridiculous.

It all depends on the price - and it has little to do with KW.

spiffie
04-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I think you have to see what the market becomes for Mark before that sort of sentiment becomes valid. If the Cards or Yanks or Mets decide he is their guy, and throw 6/96 or something even more ludicrous out there, I think we have too many other options, and too many other guys to consider, to make that kind of investment in him. I want Buehrle resigned as much as anyone, but if the market goes nuts for him, I don't want the Sox getting tied to a deal that cripples them.

gobears1987
04-24-2007, 02:59 PM
That's ridiculous.

It all depends on the price - and it has little to do with KW.It does. If KW makes a competitive offer, Buehrle would stay. If KW doesn't, then we will see he doesn't give a rats ass about the fans and will **** on them.

spiffie
04-24-2007, 03:06 PM
It does. If KW makes a competitive offer, Buehrle would stay. If KW doesn't, then we will see he doesn't give a rats ass about the fans and will **** on them.
I assume you are hunting buddies with Mark, hence your knowledge of what he will and won't do.

What are you competing against? Your perception of what Mark should take? What the market says Mark ought to get? What Mark ends up being offered? Because if its either of the first two, that don't mean jack ****. The only thing that will decide this is how much Mark is offered. If we come in with some offer that sounds good now, like 4/56, and the Angels offer 6/102, he's not likely to stay, and I wouldn't want him to if that's what it takes. If I'm wrong and Mark is willing to take a huge hometown discount in that circumstance, then that's great. But since his current quoted stance was being willing to let the sox match anything offered to him, that doesn't sound likely.

BeeBeeRichard
04-24-2007, 03:09 PM
The Seaver talk made me look up the stats...

Who thinks Buehrle can win 300? 16 wins a year would get him there at age 40, and he's the type of pitcher who could last even longer if the wins don't come that quickly.

jabrch
04-24-2007, 03:17 PM
It does. If KW makes a competitive offer, Buehrle would stay. If KW doesn't, then we will see he doesn't give a rats ass about the fans and will **** on them.

That's completely ridiculous on each level.

1) I don't want KW making "a competitive offer" if the market is Zito-like.
2) You won't know what he does or doesn't offer anyhow.
3) There's no way to "see he doesn't give a rats ass" from what he offers
4) It depends on what else we spend money on
5) The GM doesn't make those calls alone anyhow
6) We have one of the highest payrolls in the majors already.
7) You have no idea what Mark will or won't do depending on what he's offered from whom
8) That guy who you said "will **** on them" brought them a WORLD FREAKING SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP.

Jurr
04-24-2007, 05:19 PM
That's completely ridiculous on each level.

1) I don't want KW making "a competitive offer" if the market is Zito-like.
2) You won't know what he does or doesn't offer anyhow.
3) There's no way to "see he doesn't give a rats ass" from what he offers
4) It depends on what else we spend money on
5) The GM doesn't make those calls alone anyhow
6) We have one of the highest payrolls in the majors already.
7) You have no idea what Mark will or won't do depending on what he's offered from whom
8) That guy who you said "will **** on them" brought them a WORLD FREAKING SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP.
Exactly.

Look, it sucks losing players that you have a huge spot in your heart for. Frank was a great example. Guess what? We're still rooting for the Sox. Not the A's. Not the Blue Jays. I have loved watching Buehrle. He's my favorite current Sox player. If signing Mark prevents the Sox from fielding a fiercely competitive ball club, sorry. I'm not going to be basking in the glow of having Mark Buehrle retire a Sox player if the team is losing 90 games a year.

Domeshot17
04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
It all depends on the market. The problem is, if the market comes down, KW is smart. If the market stays this way for 2 or 3 more years, then this is the market that is here and we just let our guys walk. Finding value and steals at the market is great, but sometimes they end up being JD, and sometimes they end up being Erstad. You really gamble with a teams chances to win when you try and beat the market every year. At some point you have to pony up and give the big offer.

Only time will tell how smart Kenny and Jerry are being with this. But the thing that really burns me, if there is 12 mil for Vazquez, there better be 15 for Burls

voodoochile
04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm with you on this one. The main reason why an owner has to be on Crack Cocaine to offer a starter more than 3 or 4 years is the injury factor. Mark has never been on the DL in 6+ years. I cannot recall if Garland has been there either. Contreras will ride off into the sunset after this contract is up or sign with us for one more year.

I really hope you are wrong. Burly-Mon's motion is not conducive to injuries, so I hope the Sox pony up a 5/$75M contract and get themselves in the neighborhood. JR has proven he will pay top dollar for local products who do right by the team for an extended period of time. The fact that Mark is a pitcher shouldn't factor into it, IMO.

Daver
04-24-2007, 06:33 PM

Walt Jocketty (sp) does not give long term big money contracts to pitchers.

Jurr
04-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, he might be a little gunshy after the Mulder fiasco.

The Immigrant
04-24-2007, 06:51 PM

He gave $65 million over 5 years to Carpenter, who promptly landed on the DL.

Martinigirl
04-24-2007, 08:16 PM
After hearing and reading repeatedly about the Yankees $185 million dollar payroll, and how they have absolutely no starting pitching, I have no doubt they will go after MB will an open checkbook next year.

I hope we match any offer, but logically, I don't think that will happen if it is a bidding war with the Yankees.

Jurr
04-24-2007, 08:17 PM
After hearing and reading repeatedly about the Yankees $185 million dollar payroll, and how they have absolutely no starting pitching, I have no doubt they will go after MB will an open checkbook next year.

I hope we match any offer, but logically, I don't think that will happen if it is a bidding war with the Yankees.
I may be wrong, but Sabathia and Santana are coming soon. I'd say NY money will go there first.

chitownhawkfan
04-25-2007, 01:43 AM

Worst Post Ever.

If Buehrle can get Zito money from Anaheim I would hope that KW wouldn't match it. This man has **** all over the fans to the tune of a world championship and a 90 win season last year. In addition his trades of McCarthy and Sweaty Freddie turned out great for us. Why do you doubt the wisdom of Kenny Williams.

crazyozzie02
04-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Worst Post Ever.

If Buehrle can get Zito money from Anaheim I would hope that KW wouldn't match it. This man has **** all over the fans to the tune of a world championship and a 90 win season last year. In addition his trades of McCarthy and Sweaty Freddie turned out great for us. Why do you doubt the wisdom of Kenny Williams.

i wouldnt say the freddy trade (at least so far) but the McCarthy trade has been great. i also agree with everything else that you said

shox6
04-25-2007, 02:45 AM
The best I can see the sox offering is 4 years. I just dont see more and that should make it happen. It will be interesting to see what pans out. I love Buehrle but Im a little sick of hearing people say how he deserves so much more, now, though. Sorry but throwing the no no shouldnt and wont have any affect on what the decision is.

oldcomiskey
04-25-2007, 08:34 AM

Lilly got 10 mil per year too. What does that make Mark's value?

SBSoxFan
04-25-2007, 09:24 AM
I may be wrong, but Sabathia and Santana are coming soon. I'd say NY money will go there first.

But Mark will be available next year, Sabathia and Santana not until later. So, why wouldn't the yankees make a run at all of them?

On a side note, Santana just lost his second straight game at home last night. Before then, he had won 17 straight decisions and the twins had won his last 24 starts at home. Last year he was 7-6 on the road. My question - is Santana really worth all the money people figure he'll get on the market when he can't make 17 starts in Minnesota's dome (which will be gone in a few years)?

eriqjaffe
04-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Lilly got 10 mil per year too. What does that make Mark's value?Probably something that only the Yankees could seriously consider. Well, that, and I can't imagine them not making a huge offer considering the state (and age) of their pitching staff.

ewokpelts
04-25-2007, 09:43 AM
This guy is our ace, what are the chances we will sign him? Based on the Sox track record with pitchers I say 20% we sign him 80% hes a Cardinal next year. It will break my heart but thats baseball.I thought contreras was our ace? he did start opening day, after all.

spiffie
04-25-2007, 09:51 AM
If they let Rodriguez go that frees up $20 million or so right there. Abreu is a free agent at the end of the year if the Yanks don't take his 16 million option. Posada has a 12 million club option. They get 9 million off the books as this is the last year they have to pay money towards Randy Johnson, Javy, and Jaret Wright. Then after 2008 Giambi's contract ends unless they take his 22 million option which seems unlikely. Petitte's $16 million comes off the books. Abreu becomes an FA after 2008 if he's optioned for 2008. Mussina's 11 million a year deal ends. Pavano is doubtful to have his 2009 option taken for 13 million a year. Farnsworth's 6 million a year deal ends after 2008. And Rivera's deal ends after this year, but I assume they will resign him.

So the Yanks are looking at a lot of turnover, and potentially having somewhere over $100 MILLION available. If they decide to go the pitching route they could just throw 6/96 at Buehrle, 7/112 at Sabathia, and 9/180 at Santana, and with Wang and Hughes earning barely anything have a rotation for 2009 of those five guys earning about what our rotation earned last year .

UserNameBlank
04-25-2007, 11:54 AM
A lot also will depend on how Danks and Gio develop this year. Since Danks already looks like he will be able to stay in the rotation, that's 1 LHP. If Gio develops to project out to be a #3 or better, then we will have 2 LH SP. That lessens the need to spend big bucks to keep Mark and pay the LH premium that he might command over an equal skilled RHP.
I agree. I think the Sox are going to make a respectable offer to Buehrle this offseason after watching him play this year. I don't want to jinx anything, but Mark looks like he could win 20 this year. I know it's early and he normally gets off to good starts anyway, but I can't ever recall him looking so sharp.

I think if the Sox do re-sign Buehrle they will trade Garland after this year though. Assuming Danks sticks around all year, which he will if he continues to attack hitters like he has been since ST started, between all the pitching the Sox have in Double A and Triple A someone should be ready to step in. If KW can do what he did this offseason after this year, he should add in another young arm or two to compete with what we already have for a new fifth starter with Danks moving to the 4th spot.

We could have gotten Hirsch (2-1, 3.16 so far in Coors of all places), Buchholz, Taveras, and maybe a little more for Jon this offseason, since reports were that the Sox were turned down when they also asked for a highly regarded OF prospect. With one year less on his deal, the Sox wouldn't be able to get that same type of package, but something similar to Hirsch + Tavares from another team would be a great move to further bolster a young rotation anchored by Buehrle and Vazquez.