PDA

View Full Version : pods out till mid May

Rowandws33
04-23-2007, 10:57 PM
according to sporting news " Don't look for Podsednik to return after just a two-week stint on the disabled list for a strained right adductor. Podsednik, who suffered the injury by slipping while working on speed and agility drills on the team's off day, said he won't even be running for two weeks." "The earliest Podsednik could figure to return is mid-May. But it very well could be longer than that, as the team wants to take things slowly with their speedster." thats not good news considering he was swing a very hot bat and looking like the 05 pods...

FielderJones
04-23-2007, 10:59 PM
And the smiley face indicating your happiness about this ... why? :angry:

balke
04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Why's this thread have a happy face on it? This really sucks. Its a good thing we've got pretty decent OF depth.

eriqjaffe
04-23-2007, 11:03 PM
And the smiley face indicating your happiness about this ... why?Because he can take advantage of Pods's status to move in on Lisa Dergan. :randy:

Rowandws33
04-23-2007, 11:03 PM
oops sorry guys click the wrong face...my bad

Rowandws33
04-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I'am sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry about the the face....iam not happy about this by any means...I got to much sun in Detroit this weekend....

oeo
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Take your time to get back Pods...we'll need you.

In the meantime, it looks like Erstad is heating up, so hopefully we'll be alright.

hi im skot
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I'am sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry about the the face....iam not happy about this by any means...I got to much sun in Detroit this weekend....

:club:

:tongue:

Seriously, a tough blow to the Sox, but I think they can handle it. Erstad has been solid as of late, and it'll be nice to see BA, Pablo, and Mackowiak pick up some playing time.

Here's to a healthy Pods next month!

BanditJimmy
04-23-2007, 11:12 PM
On a positive note:

We are 5 -2 since he went down .... so the team is picking it up.

WhiteSox5187
04-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Losing Pods is goign to hurt but ya know, I'd rather him take it slow and come back 100% and be in '05 form rather than rush it and come back in '06 form. We're five and two since he went down and the offense is starting to pick up the slack. Even Erstad is getting better at bats. I hope he comes back, because we do need him but I think a Pablo-Mack-Anderson platoon works too.

BanditJimmy
04-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Losing Pods is goign to hurt but ya know, I'd rather him take it slow and come back 100% and be in '05 form rather than rush it and come back in '06 form. We're five and two since he went down and the offense is starting to pick up the slack. Even Erstad is getting better at bats. I hope he comes back, because we do need him but I think a Pablo-Mack-Anderson platoon works too.

If Sweeney was ever looking for a window to get in here, here would have been his only shot to get here this year. But a poor spring and not so great start in AAA, it won't happen.

I love Pablo's approach at the plate and hustle but I duck anytime a ball is hit to him in LF.

I love Anderson's glove but has shown nothing as a hitter. He might need consistant ABs to ever get anywhere

Mackowiak has an OK glove in LF w/ a plus arm and his bat is just OK also. I guess he is the choice to go with for now.

CLR01
04-23-2007, 11:41 PM
and it'll be nice to see BA......pick up some playing time.

:lol:

hi im skot
04-23-2007, 11:55 PM
:lol:

I'll be here all night, folks!

But seriously, folks...the guy has got to develop somehow. Hopefully (not holding my breath) BA will find his swing in the next couple weeks.

AJ Hellraiser
04-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Send Anderson/Logan down and bring up Jerry Owens.. if for no other reason then he has a ton of speed which can come in handy off the bench as a pinch runner...

This team will be fine without Pods for now if the pitching continues as it has... That being said, if Pods can't come back healthy KW MUST look for a solution in the leadoff spot at some point before July 31

Craig Grebeck
04-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Owens has a 9/13 K/BB ratio this season. I've been pleased to see some development, but I seriously doubt he has a shot at doing anything in MLB.

Trade Haeger/Russell for Baldelli

chitownhawkfan
04-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Agreed. Send down Anderson and bring up Owens. Whether you like Anderson or not sitting on the bench isnt going to make him better and I for one am not ready to see him on a regular basis in the outfield.

whitesoxfan
04-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Owens has a 9/13 K/BB ratio this season. I've been pleased to see some development, but I seriously doubt he has a shot at doing anything in MLB.

Owens could be a great PR-only guy. He has blazing speed and is a great base stealer.

Other than that though, I agree with you. Probably not too much of a ML career for him.

Bucky F. Dent
04-24-2007, 04:12 AM
In light of this news, I'm even happier to have our newest grinder on the roster, Darin Erstad!

FireMariotti
04-24-2007, 04:26 AM
Owens could be a great PR-only guy. He has blazing speed and is a great base stealer.

Other than that though, I agree with you. Probably not too much of a ML career for him.

Who says he can't have a good ML career? He hasn't even been given a decent shot yet.

Even with Pods out, I don't think we'll be hurting too much. Most everybody on the bench can fill in at an outfield position, and we do have a good bench.

We need to lay off of Erstad at least until April is over. He may not have had a great start to the season, but the guy is a proven veteran. He hasn't forgotten how to hit the ball. Plus he's a grinder :redneck!

balke
04-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Mackowiak doesn't seem to be such a bad replacement out in LF right now. I think him and Anderson can handle it between the two of them.

DumpJerry
04-24-2007, 07:00 AM
I'm not surprised by the news. Big Al Secord was out about 3 months with the same injury.

Randar68
04-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Podsednik, who suffered the injury by slipping while working on speed and agility drills on the team's off day, said he won't even be running for two weeks." "The earliest Podsednik could figure to return is mid-May. But it very well could be longer than that, as the team wants to take things slowly with their speedster."

And yet somehow Ozzie will turn this into a reason to NOT play Brian Anderson in lieu of the 2 .200 hitting "veterans".

Ozzie is a freaking moron. Mack is a hack and Erstad is a utility player at this point. Neither deserves to be starting over Anderson. I still haven't figured out what Ozzie has against BA...

Randar68
04-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Agreed. Send down Anderson and bring up Owens. Whether you like Anderson or not sitting on the bench isnt going to make him better and I for one am not ready to see him on a regular basis in the outfield.

Please pass the hooch. Anderson was the only guy hitting the last 2 months last year, had a good spring, and is better defensively than any of the other OF's on this freaking team. What are you not ready for? The .186 hitting Mackowiak or the .206 hitting Erstad have shown soooo much for this team, right?

Sheeesh. *** is wrong with Ozzie in the first place? Mackowiak is NOT an everyday player, at least Anderson has the chance to be, and at this rate cannot be a worse option.

Now Ozzie has lots of excuses when Anderson get's his 2 AB's per week and doesn't do much... Like anybody can get 2 AB's per week and do ANYTHING.

Jerko
04-24-2007, 11:51 AM
On a positive note:

We are 5 -2 since he went down .... so the team is picking it up.

Do we move Iguchi down when Pods comes back? He's 8-21 in the 2 hole.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
BA should be getting alot more playing time than he is.. Lets see what BA can do in his second full season. I hope its not true but sometimes it feels like ozzie has something against BA.

credefan24
04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Rowand, I'm with ya! Play BA!

The only way BA will improve is if he gets the experience! He needs to be out there at the plate. He's such a good defensive player, it would be a shame to give up on him so early in his career. Not everyone bats .300 with 30HRs right out of the gate.

GET WELL SOON PODS!

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 12:04 PM
i really wish BA could get more than 2 or 3 at bat's a week..seems like it would be better for him to go to AAA than just sit on the bench. As much as it pains me to say it.

spiffie
04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Please pass the hooch. Anderson was the only guy hitting the last 2 months last year...
Brian Anderson:
Sept/Oct: 25G, 20GS, 72 PA, 69AB, 4R, 13H, 5 2B, 1HR, 1RBI, 2BB, 188/222/304

PatK
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not surprised by the news. Big Al Secord was out about 3 months with the same injury.

An Al Secord reference. That's old school stuff right there.

Although with Al, I thought it was an abdominal strain caused by misalignment in his hip.

pmck003
04-24-2007, 12:26 PM
In hindsight, it looks like maybe BA should of been out there more than Erstad. But I think you gotta give a plan some time to work itself out. If Erstad is still playing at the same level towards the beginning of June, then maybe its time to switch it up. If the team is playing well anyway, maybe wait a little longer so you can switch it up if the team goes into a funk.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
BA was swinging a pretty good bat the second-half of the season.

champagne030
04-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Please pass the hooch. Anderson was the only guy hitting the last 2 months last year, had a good spring, and is better defensively than any of the other OF's on this freaking team. What are you not ready for? The .186 hitting Mackowiak or the .206 hitting Erstad have shown soooo much for this team, right?

Sheeesh. *** is wrong with Ozzie in the first place? Mackowiak is NOT an everyday player, at least Anderson has the chance to be, and at this rate cannot be a worse option.

Now Ozzie has lots of excuses when Anderson get's his 2 AB's per week and doesn't do much... Like anybody can get 2 AB's per week and do ANYTHING.

How dare you question the Great Oswaldo!

chaerulez
04-24-2007, 01:16 PM

Not to mention this is an organization that stuck with Crede when he was having a few bad offensive seasons. Why can't they give BA at least a second full season to prove it at the plate when Crede got 3-4 years?

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Thats the million dollar question....

maurice
04-24-2007, 01:37 PM
BA was the Sox #1 prospect and earned a late-season callup with limited PT at the end of 2005. He had a good spring and opened the season in CF. After a 2-hit game against Cleveland on opening day, he was benched on the 2nd day of the season in favor of a non-CFer. This pattern continued through the year, resulting in much less than 400 ABs, at which point Ozzie complained that BA doesn't have enough ABs. BA was great defensively all year. His bat was very cold until about mid-June. At that point, he had only about 200 MLB ABs. Then, he caught fire and stayed hot from mid-June through the end of August, before finishing up cold again. He got sick in Venezuela but was awesome this spring, when he allegedly "lost" the battle for CF. Ozzie wanted to dump him off the roster in favor of Terrero but was convinced to keep him as a defensive replacement. When he failed to use BA as a defensive replacement for Podsednik, late-game wackiness ensued in LF, and he was convinced to change course and now uses him late defensively. However, he still refuses to give him significantly more ABs than Molina, arguably resulting in a predictable injury and declining production for certain veteran OFers.

Tragg
04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
That would be nice. But I think that's what we ultimately need to do - get an outfielder in here.

CLR01
04-24-2007, 02:14 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/basignal.jpg vs. http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/grindersignal.jpg

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Ozzie needs to play BA, thats the only way we will found out if BA is gonna make it in the Bigs.

SoxxoS
04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Brian Anderson - Thanks to WSI, you are so underrated, you are overrated.

jdm2662
04-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I personally don't care who plays as long as the team is winning and the players are producing. The Mack in CF was a joke last season. While I do agree Anderson didn't hit good enough to stay in the line-up, Mack's defense in CF hurt the team more than Anderson's bat. I was convinced Ozzie flat out doesn't like Anderson last season, and the final straw for me was the Friday night game at Oakland when Mack botched a ball that led to three runs. Ozzie letting his personal feelings getting in the way of the team was flat out wrong. Obviously, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but the only explanation I can come up with handling Anderson is that Ozzie just doesn't like him. I don't have a problem with Erstad playing CF because it appears he can actually play the position. He is starting to hit, so that is nice, too. As long as he produces, I'm ok with it. Anderson should be in AAA if he's not going to get regular playing time. Riding the bench is not going to help him.

spiffie
04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Brian Anderson - Thanks to WSI, you are so underrated, you are overrated.
Brian Anderson is proof that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Every day he's on the bench, he gets better in the opinion of some of the folks here. If they send him to AAA he'll become the greatest player in the history of all team sports, able to play all nine positions at once, hit for a batting average of 1.100 (that's right, he gets 11 hits every 10 at-bats) and able to beat up Chuck Norris in a roundhouse kicking contest.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 02:45 PM
nobody is saying that but th Sox got Rowand out because BA was gonna be the better of the two. So lets find out if BA is the players that the organization thinks he can be. Lets find out if BA is gonna come along like Lee,Crede and Rowand did.

CLR01
04-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Brian Anderson is proof that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Every day he's on the bench, he gets better in the opinion of some of the folks here. If they send him to AAA he'll become the greatest player in the history of all team sports, able to play all nine positions at once, hit for a batting average of 1.100 (that's right, he gets 11 hits every 10 at-bats) and able to beat up Chuck Norris in a roundhouse kicking contest.

Fo sho yo

People need to realize that Brian Anderson's hitting ~.200 with a sub-.300 OBP cost the Sox the playoffs last year and was perhaps the worst Major League performance with a bat ever. However Ersty is supergrinderrific and he has what may be the best ~.200 average with a sub-.300 OBP ever.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 02:53 PM
WOW BA is the reason we missed the playoffs ***pass the crunk juice man*** how many runs did the Sox score last year.. OOOOO how many homers did the Sox hit last year... The offense was clearly not the prob man...

Hitmen77
04-24-2007, 03:15 PM
according to sporting news " Don't look for Podsednik to return after just a two-week stint on the disabled list for a strained right adductor. Podsednik, who suffered the injury by slipping while working on speed and agility drills on the team's off day, said he won't even be running for two weeks." "The earliest Podsednik could figure to return is mid-May. But it very well could be longer than that, as the team wants to take things slowly with their speedster." thats not good news considering he was swing a very hot bat and looking like the 05 pods...

If Pods is indeed healthy and ready to play in mid to late May, then I'm not too worried. I just want him to be available and productive over the long haul of the season.

Am I right that this is the 2nd time he injured himself while working out this year?

CLR01
04-24-2007, 03:24 PM
WOW BA is the reason we missed the playoffs ***pass the crunk juice man*** how many runs did the Sox score last year.. OOOOO how many homers did the Sox hit last year... The offense was clearly not the prob man...

I don't know what team you were watching but Brian was the problem. All those runs, all those HR's and still it wasn't enough. Maybe if our rookie number 9 hitter wasn't hitting like he was playing for the other team we could have been celebrating in October again. He is also the reason they almost blew it in September of '05. Brian Anderson is poison man, take off the blinders.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 03:28 PM
WOW..do you watch the games or just the pretty pictures on the TV???

chaz171
04-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Question:

Will pods ever be healthy like the first half of 2005?

CLR01
04-24-2007, 03:34 PM
WOW..do you watch the games or just the pretty pictures on the TV???

I watch every game. Ando has easily cost the Sox 20 games over the last year and a month of '05. He isn't good enough to play beer league softball.

chisoxfanatic
04-24-2007, 03:40 PM

He came up constantly with RISP and either struck out or grounded out TOO MANY TIMES (too many to count, anyways) in dire scoring situations! Brian Anderson did directly effect the results of more than just a couple games. I'm glad Ozzie isn't playing him like he did last year. I'll take Macko or Ozuna over him (hey, Ozuna's actually looked halfway decent fielding so far this year).

Picking up Erstad certainly was a blessing. Hopefully Scotty will get well soon; but, it's a good thing he's not being rushed, least he get even more injured.

CHISOXFAN13
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
nobody is saying that but th Sox got Rowand out because BA was gonna be the better of the two. So lets find out if BA is the players that the organization thinks he can be. Lets find out if BA is gonna come along like Lee,Crede and Rowand did.

WRONG. The Sox got rid of Rowand because they were able to acquire a 40 homer, 100 RBI masher from the left side of the plate for him.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
WOW...do some research before posting your crazyness man. a little hint for you to dont drink the bong water anymore dude....

CHISOXFAN13
04-24-2007, 03:48 PM
WOW...do some research before posting your crazyness man. a little hint for you to dont drink the bong water anymore dude....

What research do you need? Everyone on here has posted numbers and reasons why BA is awful. You? Well, you have a cute picture of BA saying to play him.

Find me some research indicating why he SHOULD play. Maybe his pathetic effort in left turning a single into a double on Sunday is a good start.

russ99
04-24-2007, 03:50 PM
And yet another thread is hijacked for Anderson.

Get over it. I hope BA gets a start tonight in KC just to prove it to you Anderson-maniacs that he still can't hit major league pitching. Prove me wrong, Brian.

Mackowiak certainly isn't a hack, he's done a very good job in left so far. You guys are letting your blind thirst for BA justice get in the way.

CLR01
04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
WRONG. The Sox got rid of Rowand because they were able to acquire a 40 homer, 100 RBI masher from the left side of the plate for him.

And some decent prospects but its a lot of fun to pretend that trade was straight up.

Tell that to Ando. Willie Harris>>>>>>>>>Brian Anderson. You tell some fine fairy tales though.

ilsox7
04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I love the irony of one poster clearly using hyperbole in this thread, but then others come in and agree!

Meanwhile, what most people seem to be missing is that if you read between the lines, the reason Ozzie is not playing BA is b/c he does not like is work ethic/attitude.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 03:52 PM
i was not refering to you..i was refering to the crazy post saying that he was part of the reason for the dive in sept 05....The offense was no the prob last year. The bullpen could not hold a lead for one.. The starting pitching went down hill...

CLR01
04-24-2007, 03:53 PM
And yet another thread is hijacked for Anderson.

Get over it. I hope BA gets a start tonight in KC just to prove it to you Anderson-maniacs that he still can't hit major league pitching. Prove me wrong, Brian.

Mackowiak certainly isn't a hack, he's done a very good job in left so far. You guys are letting your blind thirst for BA justice get in the way.

Rooting against a member of the White Sox = Rooting for the Cubs. How long have you been a friend of the blue?

ilsox7
04-24-2007, 03:53 PM
i was not refering to you..i was refering to the crazy post saying that he was part of the reason for the dive in sept 05....The offense was no the prob last year. The bullpen could not hold a lead for one.. The starting pitching went down hill...

Do you really think that original poster was serious when he said the rookie 9th hitter cost the Sox 20 games last year? If you do, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you . . .

russ99
04-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Rooting against a member of the White Sox = Rooting for the Cubs. How long have you been a friend of the blue?

Maybe you should ask all those guys who are constantly ripping Erstad (and Pods for that matter) that question. My dad grew up in Bridgeport, so I've NEVER liked the Cubs, ever. In fact, Bartman was the funniest thing I ever saw on TV. :tongue:

I don't hate Anderson, I just don't think he belongs on a major-league roster. Ozzie should just send him down already, this is hurting his eventual development

spiffie
04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Fo sho yo

People need to realize that Brian Anderson's hitting ~.200 with a sub-.300 OBP cost the Sox the playoffs last year and was perhaps the worst Major League performance with a bat ever. However Ersty is supergrinderrific and he has what may be the best ~.200 average with a sub-.300 OBP ever.
I think the only hope for us all is to compromise, and bring Singleton back out of the booth and into CF.

AZChiSoxFan
04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Erstad has been solid as of late, and it'll be nice to see BA, Pablo, and Mackowiak pick up some playing time.

Here's to a healthy Pods next month!

BA will be getting some playing time?? Someone better let Ozzie know.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
true why would you root for a member of the Sox to fail..all and all it comes down to the W...BA is not the answer in CF fine. I can live with that but i think its time to find out....

AZChiSoxFan
04-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Fo sho yo

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In 2005 the Sox lead the AL in team ERA at 3.61. Their team batting avg was .262 and they scored 741 runs.

In 2006 the Sox had a team ERA of 4.61. The team batting avg was .280 and they scored 868 runs.

Silly me, I thought the sox missed the playoffs in 2006 due to the pitching staff giving up an extra run per game.

russ99
04-24-2007, 04:12 PM
true why would you root for a member of the Sox to fail..all and all it comes down to the W...BA is not the answer in CF fine. I can live with that but i think its time to find out....

I'm not rooting against Anderson per se, I'm just more in touch with reality than some of you posters:

Anderson looks completely lost at the plate and has more Ks than hits. He's in Ozzie's doghouse, obviously, so the potential for him to succeed at this point is minimal and unless he really busts out at the plate for one game, he won't get a chance to play every day.

Erstad and Mackowiak are major-league vets who hustle and work hard. They may not be the optimal solution in the OF right now, but Ozzie trusts them more than Anderson at this point and they do the little things to get wins, even though it doesn't show up in their stats right now.

Maybe McCarthy's statements this offseason were true, that the Sox clubhouse is not a great place for younger guys, but this isn't kindergarden. If Anderson has an attitude problem, he needs to wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late. Maybe a stint at AAA would help.

If BA eventually does turn out to be a good major-league player, he'll have my full and complete support, but this isn't a Crede situation - we're in a 1-2 year window of having a great chance to win another title, and prospect development shouldn't be the Sox main concern.

Finally, every single thread on WSI doesn't need to turn into a cry of "FREE BA!". Let it go already. I'm perfectly fine with the situation as long as the Sox keep doing well.

AZChiSoxFan
04-24-2007, 04:16 PM

Russ, it's nice to know that when you're watching the game tonight you will be cheering for one of the Sox starters to make outs every time he's up. We need more fans like you.

On to your main point.....sure, because if BA has a bad game tonight, this one game will prove that he has no business playing in the majors. :rolleyes:

If BA is truly as bad as you and Ozzie believe he is, why don't they just cut him???

CLR01
04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
What research do you need? Everyone on here has posted numbers and reasons why BA is awful. You? Well, you have a cute picture of BA saying to play him.

Find me some research indicating why he SHOULD play. Maybe his pathetic effort in left turning a single into a double on Sunday is a good start.

Sweet Sweet Ersty's number are so much better.

I think the only hope for us all is to compromise, and bring Singleton back out of the booth and into CF.

Best idea yet. You don't even need to take him out of the booth, just get him a wireless headset. That would be the ultimate in PBP.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In 2005 the Sox lead the AL in team ERA at 3.61. Their team batting avg was .262 and they scored 741 runs.

In 2006 the Sox had a team ERA of 4.61. The team batting avg was .280 and they scored 868 runs.

Silly me, I thought the sox missed the playoffs in 2006 due to the pitching staff giving up an extra run per game.

Someone wasn't paying attention in class.

russ99
04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Russ, it's nice to know that when you're watching the game tonight you will be cheering for one of the Sox starters to make outs every time he's up. We need more fans like you.

On to your main point.....sure, because if BA has a bad game tonight, this one game will prove that he has no business playing in the majors. :rolleyes:

If BA is truly as bad as you and Ozzie believe he is, why don't they just cut him???

Geez, I won't be cheering for him to fail, but I won't be calling out during every ground-out to the right side of the infield to cut Erstad either. This is a two-edged sword...

AZChiSoxFan
04-24-2007, 04:19 PM
If BA eventually does turn out to be a good major-league player, he'll have my full and complete support, but this isn't a Crede situation - we're in a 1-2 year window of having a great chance to win another title, and prospect development shouldn't be the Sox main concern.

So "prospect development" was alright in 2006 but not in 2007?

russ99
04-24-2007, 04:20 PM
So "prospect development" was alright in 2006 but not in 2007?

What was Ozzie's options? Bring Timo back?

I'd rather have had Big Jim Thome last year and Anderson in CF than not. Then Anderson lost his job and we had the horrors of Mackowiak in CF because of it. I think Kenny got Erstad simply because of that.

AZChiSoxFan
04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Someone wasn't paying attention in class.

thank you for at least admitting to that.

Edit: I'm such an idiot (blushing). Of course, most of you already knew that from reading my posts. Sorry!

russ99
04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Alright - I got rid of the silly (cheer for a Sox player to do badly) counter in my sig. I call on the rest of you to do the same.

I trust that Ozzie and Kenny are doing the right thing at this point, and that's my final comment on this matter.

Go Sox!

AZChiSoxFan
04-24-2007, 04:27 PM
What was Ozzie's options? Bring Timo back?

I'd rather have had Big Jim Thome last year and Anderson in CF than not.

Look, I just wish the sox organization would come up with a solution Re: BA. Something doesn't add up: In 2006, with virtually no ML experience, they hand him the job (seems like they like the guy). Like tons of other rookies in the history of this game, he struggled at the plate for the first 2.5 months of the season. He displayed a great glove and he hit very well for the next 2.5 months. At this point, I have to ask: what exactly did they expect him to do? Now, in 2006 the guy hardly ever plays. What did he do to fall out of favor so fast? I just wish they would either give him some regular AB's or trade/cut him so he can move on. Sending him down to AAA does no good for BA or the Sox.

ilsox7
04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Look, I just wish the sox organization would come up with a solution Re: BA. Something doesn't add up: In 2006, with virtually no ML experience, they hand him the job (seems like they like the guy). Like tons of other rookies in the history of this game, he struggled at the plate for the first 2.5 months of the season. He displayed a great glove and he hit very well for the next 2.5 months. At this point, I have to ask: what exactly did they expect him to do? Now, in 2006 the guy hardly ever plays. What did he do to fall out of favor so fast? I just wish they would either give him some regular AB's or trade/cut him so he can move on. Sending him down to AAA does no good for BA or the Sox.

Many things go on behind the scenes that no one here will ever know or hear about. Stats are not the only reason a player plays or not. At least to me, it's been made pretty obvious by the Sox why BA isn't playing. The circumstantial evidence seems rather convincing.

Rowandws33
04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
i started this thread before but it seems like as soon as the Sox signed Erstad he was the starter in CF...BA its seems did not even have a chance in the spring to win the job...

credefan24
04-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't think people want BA to start because they think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think people want BA to get some playing time just TO SEE, if he is good. We will never know, unless Anderson gets some at bats. Otherwise, it's a waste. I for one, want to see BA play, to find out if he can finally hit. If not, then hey, the Sox tried, move on. But if they give up on him, it's just another failure in a long list of first round draft pick busts.

champagne030
04-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I
Meanwhile, what most people seem to be missing is that if you read between the lines, the reason Ozzie is not playing BA is b/c he does not like is work ethic/attitude.

Actually, if you read between the lines, the reason Ozzie is not playing BA has nothing to do with work ethic or attitude. He just doesn't like him for non-baseball related reasons.

CLR01
04-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe you should ask all those guys who are constantly ripping Erstad (and Pods for that matter) that question.

Why do I need to do that? You already get accused of not being a Sox fan if you even mention the name Brian Anderson and question his playing time.

Then Anderson lost his job and we had the horrors of Mackowiak in CF because of it.

Yeah, that opening game last year was the pits for Anderson....

ilsox7
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Actually, if you read between the lines, the reason Ozzie is not playing BA has nothing to do with work ethic or attitude. He just doesn't like him for non-baseball related reasons.

Consider the numerous pieces of evidence pointing toward BA's work ethic and attitude that have slipped out over the last few months, I'd say it very much has to do with that.

1. BA hesitantly went to winter ball. Not his fault he got sick, but the reports were that he didn't want to go in the first place.

2. The whole McCarthy saga and his interview about the clubhouse. Also, the fact that they even traded McCarthy (even though I make that trade every time whether they liked or disliked McCarthy).

3. The constant reminders from everyone in the Sox organization about how they love guys who "grind" it out. "Grinding" it out is simply playing hard.

4. The report only a week or two ago about Sox coaches being baffled that two young players (pitcher and position player) were sitting on the couch watching a TV show before a game instead of preparing and watching film on the opposing team. This is probably the strongest and most direct evidence.

Again, it's all circumstantial. So you can of course go through every point and say there is no proof. But given his lack of playing time and the above, I think it's pretty clear that the Sox (specifically Ozzie) are not pleased with the way BA carries himself. No one here knows the answer 100%, but the above is a preponderance of evidence IMO. I understand those who won't buy into any of the above, but I feel like it's a pretty solid case.

thomas35forever
04-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm not that worried about Pods. We seem to be doing fine without him (at least for now). However, get well soon!

maurice
04-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Do you really think that original poster was serious when he said the rookie 9th hitter cost the Sox 20 games last year? If you do, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you . . .

CLR is crazy. BA actually cost the 2005 club a MINIMUM of 20 wins. It wasn't his bat so much as his inferior defense. Thank God we had Mackowiak's Gold Glove to fill the gap, or we never would have won 90 games.

maurice
04-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Actually, the fact that Sox dumped McCarthy and Harris and Jimenez and Rauch and CLee and other supposedly bad attitude / work-ethic players is very strong evidence that KW believes that Anderson's attitude and work-ethic are fine. After all, KW didn't trade him. In fact, it appears that KW insisted that Ozzie keep him on the 25-man roster over Terrero.

Toward the end of last season, KW expressed total confusion re. the BA / Mackowiak playing time issue. During the offseason, KW laid down the law, causing Ozzie to joke, "I won't play Mack in CF because I want to keep my job."

KW recently was quoted as saying that Ozzie had essentially no experience developing younger players, that he is improving in this area, and that he has additional room to improve. By contrast, KW came up in the Sox org in player development, so he's got a totally different perspective on Anderson, Logan, etc.

Hitmen77
04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm not that worried about Pods. We seem to be doing fine without him (at least for now). However, get well soon!

How dare you try to un-hijack this thread!

Randar68
04-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Brian Anderson:
Sept/Oct: 25G, 20GS, 72 PA, 69AB, 4R, 13H, 5 2B, 1HR, 1RBI, 2BB, 188/222/304

OCT? :rolleyes: How many meaningful games were played in October? 1

He hit .257 after the All-Star break last year, including .313 in 22 July games and .296 in 26 August games, posting an .800 OPS in those 2 months.

Randar68
04-25-2007, 10:46 AM

We know Mackowiak is not an everyday player. W know Erstad is injury-prone. We know Anderson is the best defensive option...

*** is wrong with wanting to see the best option play? He's not Andruw Jones, but he's the best we have. And it has nothing to do with absense. Having seen the kid play many times in the minors, I know he is an everyday player at this level, even if Ozzie refuses to play him.

Mack is not an everyday player and Erstad has not been one that could stay healthy over the past few seasons.

Playing Mack in CF after preaching defense last year for a meager upgrade in batting average at the bottom of your order tells you all you need to know about Ozzie. He says and does whatever the **** he wants, but rarely do the 2 correspond.

Randar68
04-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't think people want BA to start because they think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think people want BA to get some playing time just TO SEE, if he is good. We will never know, unless Anderson gets some at bats. Otherwise, it's a waste. I for one, want to see BA play, to find out if he can finally hit. If not, then hey, the Sox tried, move on. But if they give up on him, it's just another failure in a long list of first round draft pick busts.

The conundrum we are now in, is that Ozzie has banished Anderson to the bench for an entire month, and then will play him a couple days and send him back to the bench if he doesn't hit right away. The kid played very well the second half of last year, had a great spring, and then Ozzie gives him 10 AB's in the first 3 weeks of the season... I'm amazed he made contact last night. Hell, he looked like he hadn't seen live pitching in a year in those first 2 AB's, getting out of the way of pitches over the inner half of the plate!

He's got to play every day, as evidenced by his defense last night. Put Erstad in LF and Anderson in CF and be done with it already. Mackowiak is not an every day player.

spiffie
04-25-2007, 10:58 AM
OCT? :rolleyes: How many meaningful games were played in October? 1

He hit .257 after the All-Star break last year, including .313 in 22 July games and .296 in 26 August games, posting an .800 OPS in those 2 months.
And if I had just said Sept. and he had a single hit in that October game people would bitch that I was trying to fix the numbers to make Anderson look bad.

The point is that for all that supposed improvement, and the fact that people keep tossing around this idea that he was one of our best hitters at the end of last year, he absolutely tanked in Sept. If he had a strong September I'd be more apt to say "okay, he progressed as the year went on." But as it is his stats make it look more like he caught a good hot streak rather than having made any systemic changes that might bode well for future improvement. The fact that this year he more often than not looks lost at the plate seems to back that idea up so far.

Lip Man 1
04-25-2007, 12:38 PM
From the Daily Southtown Wednesday:

A minor matter

Though Scott Podsednik (strained right adductor) initially made it sound as if he could be on the disabled list for a while, Guillen expects the left fielder back not much later than his scheduled May 1 return.

"When I see him recover so fast during spring training, we expect the same recovery," Guillen said.

Guillen said he wants Podsednik to rehab in the minors before returning to the Sox.

"Get at-bats, see how he's running and we'll take it from there," Guillen said.

:?: June 1st? May 1st??

Lip

maurice
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
his stats make it look more like he caught a good hot streak rather than having made any systemic changes that might bode well for future improvement.

He was hot for 2-and-a-half months (mid-June through August). He was cold for about 1 month. He was hot again in the Spring. So that's 3-and-a-half productive months with 1-month of bad in between. In other words, it doesn't look like "he caught a good hot streak." It looks like he made some adjustments in June 2006, caught a bad cold streak in September, bounced back in the Spring, and then got benched.

The fact that this year he more often than not looks lost at the plate seems to back that idea up so far.

Actually, the fact is that this year he more often than not looks fine at the plate.

He hit very well in Spring Training this year.

During the month of April this year, Ozzie let him bat in only 8 games. Usually, he only gets 1 plate appearance. On opening day, he was 1-1 with a 2B and a run scored. Then, he didn't get to bat at all until April 11th and went 0-for-his-next-7. On 4/18, he walked in his only plate appearance. On 4/22, he was 0-1. On 4/23, he walked in his only plate appearance. Yesterday, he was 1-4 with a hard single up the middle and a run scored.

There are no other games to look at this year, because Ozzie hasn't played him.

Rowandws33
04-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Maurice i could not agree with you more:bandance:

RCWHITESOX
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Send this guy down. The more I see of this guy he could'nt hit beachball let alone major league pitching. Package him and some minor league talent to either Tampa Bay for Badelli or the LA Angels for Figgins and get what the Sox really need a leadoff hitter who can play in the OF. I don't now about you but lifes to short to wait from 1959 to 2005 to get in the World Series. Also Erstad is a proven gold glove on the OF or 1st Base. Enough of B Anderson aka J Reed . I firmly believe O Guillen can evaluate talent better than any of us.

Grzegorz
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
"When I see him recover so fast during spring training, we expect the same recovery," Guillen said.
Lip

With logic like that Ozzie has a bright future in medical school.

RockJock07
04-26-2007, 03:50 PM

I would mind seeing owens up here and as far as your trade, i'd rather have Crawford. KW needs to find a way to get CC here now!

esbrechtel
04-26-2007, 11:30 PM
the white sox will never get Carl Crawford why would tampa get rid of him? quote me as saying that and I will promptly insert my foot in my mouth if they do get him (probably after he is in his late 30s and still "grinding it out"):rolleyes:

SBSoxFan
04-27-2007, 09:38 AM
the white sox will never get Carl Crawford why would tampa get rid of him? quote me as saying that and I will promptly insert my foot in my mouth if they do get him (probably after he is in his late 30s and still "grinding it out"):rolleyes:

Before coming here, he has to be able to run the bases with his head up!

AZChiSoxFan
04-30-2007, 01:10 PM
BA was the Sox #1 prospect and earned a late-season callup with limited PT at the end of 2005. He had a good spring and opened the season in CF. After a 2-hit game against Cleveland on opening day, he was benched on the 2nd day of the season in favor of a non-CFer. This pattern continued through the year, resulting in much less than 400 ABs, at which point Ozzie complained that BA doesn't have enough ABs. BA was great defensively all year. His bat was very cold until about mid-June. At that point, he had only about 200 MLB ABs. Then, he caught fire and stayed hot from mid-June through the end of August, before finishing up cold again. He got sick in Venezuela but was awesome this spring, when he allegedly "lost" the battle for CF. Ozzie wanted to dump him off the roster in favor of Terrero but was convinced to keep him as a defensive replacement. When he failed to use BA as a defensive replacement for Podsednik, late-game wackiness ensued in LF, and he was convinced to change course and now uses him late defensively. However, he still refuses to give him significantly more ABs than Molina, arguably resulting in a predictable injury and declining production for certain veteran OFers.

This is the best post I've read in quite some time.

Thanks Maurice.