PDA

View Full Version : Can the Jenks velocity worries finally be put to rest?

rdivaldi
04-23-2007, 11:12 PM
He was up to what? 96 tonight?

Corlose 15
04-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Hopefully he can keep improving to where he's consitently in the upper 90s and can touch 100 every now and then.

If he does that he's absolutely unhittable. Now he's just very good. :D:

kevingrt
04-23-2007, 11:14 PM

I think the velocity concerns can be put to rest but his performance tonight was very Billy Koch like.

Corlose 15
04-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I think the velocity concerns can be put to rest but his performance tonight was very Billy Koch like.

Except he actually got the save.:cool:

rdivaldi
04-23-2007, 11:16 PM

Very true, but at least we know that Bobby has superior secondary stuff. I was excited about our bullpen going into the season, but they've actually done better than I expected.

Soxfanspcu11
04-23-2007, 11:20 PM
I don't think so man!!!

He has not hit 102 yet this year, so the only logical conclusion that can be made is that he is DONE!!!

Time to start looking for another closer!!!

CLR01
04-23-2007, 11:30 PM
I love threads that are started for the purpose of asking people not to talk about something anymore. It ranks second behind the classic "if you don' like it, don't read it and don't respond to it" posts that are made whenever poster 1 doesn't like what poster 2 says about whatever topic poster 1 is discussing.

BanditJimmy
04-23-2007, 11:33 PM

whent he is back to 98-99 that's when I will put it to rest.

DJ hit it right on the head tonight when he said that hitters (DeJesus) are on Jenks Curveball because they no longer respect his fastball.

I agree 100%

itsnotrequired
04-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Jenks started slow last year. It took a few weeks to build up his arm strength.

I'm not worried about it.

The Dude
04-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I love threads that are started for the purpose of asking people not to talk about something anymore. It ranks second behind the classic "if you don' like it, don't read it and don't respond to it" posts that are made whenever poster 1 doesn't like what poster 2 says about whatever topic poster 1 is discussing.

Exactly....those are my favorite posts!:tongue:

rdivaldi
04-23-2007, 11:35 PM

:?:

thedudeabides
04-23-2007, 11:36 PM

DJ hit it right on the head tonight when he said that hitters (DeJesus) are on Jenks Curveball because they no longer respect his fastball.

I agree 100%

I think it has more to do with how predictable he is in the counts he throws his curveball.

champagne030
04-23-2007, 11:38 PM

I'm not worried about it.

He did gain his velocity back last season. I do wonder, though, why it takes him 3 months to get his speed back. Maybe he needs to adjust the training schedule?

oeo
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM

Bobby seems to pitch to the situation. If he has a three run cushion, he'll pitch for contact and hopefully get the outs. When he gets guys on, he can K the guy, or get them to ground into a double play, whatever.

One thing he will mostly do, is get you the save, though...and that's all that matters. I wouldn't care if he came into the 9th with a six run lead, gave up five runs, and then finished it off...as long as we leave the inning with the W.

oeo
04-23-2007, 11:41 PM

I agree 100%

Where were you during the 4-game winning streak? All you do is come here to complain.

BanditJimmy
04-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Where were you during the 4-game winning streak? All you do is come here to complain.

are you kidding me?

Thanks for checking up on me, Mom.

oeo
04-23-2007, 11:53 PM
are you kidding me?

Thanks for checking up on me, Mom.

Well, it's easy to notice when the whiners aren't around when the Sox are winning...or there's nothing to complain about. You guys sure do come out and make a name for yourself when you think there's a problem, though. I don't forget who ****s their pants all the time, so I don't need to 'check up on you'.

BanditJimmy
04-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Well, it's easy to notice when the whiners aren't around when the Sox are winning...or there's nothing to complain about. You guys sure do come out and make a name for yourself when you think there's a problem, though.

I didn't bring up this topic. Talk to the other guy.

I did make positive comments after the Buehrle No hitter and for today's game.

Sorry I didn't have my computer while I was on vacation over the weekend.

Please worry about what you post and don't worry about me.

itsnotrequired
04-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Can this thread get better? I think so.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20070328/2007_03_28t164431_450x352_us_americanidol_dialidol .jpg

FielderJones

Maybe Bobby can use the Zumaya workout system next winter and keep his fastball speed up all year round.

DaBears
FYI, Jenks was topping out at 98mph during his appearance at home on Thursday....granted the Cell probably adds 2+ mph to what he really pitched, but the radar gun was 'showing' 98...I wouldnt worry about his velocity, just his ability to stop these close calls he keeps having!

BanditJimmy
04-24-2007, 12:04 AM
FYI, Jenks was topping out at 98mph during his appearance at home on Thursday....granted the Cell probably adds 2+ mph to what he really pitched, but the radar gun was 'showing' 98...I wouldnt worry about his velocity, just his ability to stop these close calls he keeps having!

I think the good thing right now with Bobby is that he is throwing strikes and not getting killed by walks. It gives us fans a sicker feeling when your closer can't throw strikes.

By the way, anoyne know if Thornton is OK as far as health?

jabrch
04-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Can this thread get better? I think so.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20070328/2007_03_28t164431_450x352_us_americanidol_dialidol .jpg

Sure - Da Rev can preach. Fenway can tell us about some douchebag taxicab driver in boston. The usual suspects can complain about Erstad or Pods. Someone can tell us what a terrible GM Kenny is or how much better they'd manage than Ozzie. I'm sure it isn't out of the question that someone could complain about Rowand not being here.

This thread has a long way to go in a clockwise flushing direction.

oeo
04-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Please worry about what you post and don't worry about me.

:?:

I'm worried? Your whining is noticeable, that's all.

ChicagoG19
04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
This topic won't die until his fastball at a hundred consistently.

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Well, I'm not worried about his velocity but that was a pretty shaky outting today (though every hit they had was hit the other way). But I think part of that is when a closer is brought in with a big lead (like three runs) I think they tend to get a little careless until the tying run comes up. Jenks got the save pretty quick once that tying run came up and Coop had a word with him.

jabrch
04-24-2007, 12:28 AM
This topic won't die until his fastball at a hundred consistently.

That's ridiculous. He doesn't have to throw 100+ to be VERY effective if he is throwing strikes with his other pitches.

BanditJimmy
04-24-2007, 12:34 AM
That's ridiculous. He doesn't have to throw 100+ to be VERY effective if he is throwing strikes with his other pitches.

I thinkg 96-97 with the curve ball falling off the table is all he needs to be lights out.

But on night where he migh not get that curve to break or fail to throw strikes with it, those are the nights that 95-96 might not get it done.

Adding the cutter can only help him also. Not seen enough of it yet.

Carp
04-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Maybe Bobby can use the Zumaya workout system next winter and keep his fastball speed up all year round.

Guitar Hero?

Unless he starts blowing saves this should be a non-issue. Bobby has gotten the job done (except for that Oakland game) consistently so far. That's all you can ask for from your closer.

Jurr
04-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Guitar Hero?

Unless he starts blowing saves this should be a non-issue. Bobby has gotten the job done (except for that Oakland game) consistently so far. That's all you can ask for from your closer.

Nice.:cool:

What you said is very true. Right now, Bobby's reminding me of Shingo. When Shingo's breaking stuff wasn't locating the best, people could sit on his fastball and tee off. When Bobby is on, he can get his slider (or cutter, which is almost the same pitch) to locate the black. When that happens, the hitters know they're screwed, because they can't sit on the heater.

Now, when Bobby gets his velocity up to 99, then he can get back to challenging guys with the high fastball. Until then, he's gotta keep locating that offspeed stuff to accentuate his fastball.

Even with all of his "hittability" issues right now, he's only blown one save. Even the best closers can't get 'em all. The mere fact that our closer isn't going out there with his best stuff and is still getting it done is VERY encouraging.

krohnjw
04-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Nice.:cool:

What you said is very true. Right now, Bobby's reminding me of Shingo. When Shingo's breaking stuff wasn't locating the best, people could sit on his fastball and tee off. When Bobby is on, he can get his slider (or cutter, which is almost the same pitch) to locate the black. When that happens, the hitters know they're screwed, because they can't sit on the heater.

Now, when Bobby gets his velocity up to 99, then he can get back to challenging guys with the high fastball. Until then, he's gotta keep locating that offspeed stuff to accentuate his fastball.

Even with all of his "hittability" issues right now, he's only blown one save. Even the best closers can't get 'em all. The mere fact that our closer isn't going out there with his best stuff and is still getting it done is VERY encouraging.

Agreed. For the second year in a row Jenks is showing that he needs time to build up the arm strength. If he wasn't making progress I would be a bit more worried, but the velocity is ticking its way up there. In the meantime he is hopefully having to concentrate on and hone his offspeed pitches (cutter, slider, curve) so that he can locate when needed....this should only help for the rest of the season.

kevingrt
04-24-2007, 08:54 AM

This does rate as post of the season so far. Great one CLR

FedEx227
04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
He's making progress, so I'm no longer worried. For the first couple of week it seemed like he was dead-locked into 92-94 and missing his spots, but he is definitely getting it together now.