PDA

View Full Version : *official* Kc Masterpiece Part I/ Paulie Ends Slump!!! 4/23/2007 Post Game Thread

MCHSoxFan
04-23-2007, 11:08 PM
This game was just more of what we know the White Sox CAN do. Clutch and timely hitting, good pitching, and great defense. If I actually had to pick something NEGATIVE about this game, it would be how Andrew Sisco pitched today. It might have been the fact that he was pitching against his old team. Don't get me wrong, if this is true, that is no exuse. At least David Riske did that exact thing to us!!! Also, Bobby got me worried. Mark did good and kept us in the game. Oh, and another thing. 2, 2-RUN HOME RUNS FOR PAULIE!!! AND A SAC-FLY AND A GREAT DEFENSIVE!!! WHAT A GREAT WAY TO END A SLUMP AND HELP HIS TEAM GET A WIN!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!

Navarro's Talent
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Awesome job by Konerko tonight. Let's hope he keeps this going and gets on a roll.

Brian26
Wow, you're a fast typer.

A paragraph synopsis of the game is posted before Konerko catches the throw from Iguchi.

whitesoxfan
I was a little nervous there, but Paulie showed up when we needed him.

I wonder who the PTC is tonight.

NoShoesJoe
Yeah Paulie!!!

Pods4455
04-23-2007, 11:11 PM
YAY PAULIE!!! About time he got outta it!!! :bandance:

MCHSoxFan
Wow, you're a fast typer.

I got Pod's speed in my fingers!!! :D:

cheeses_h_rice
Good to see PK rebound in a big way tonight and carry the team offensively.

Also nice to see Ozzie using our closer in the 9th. :cool:

voodoochile
Another solid victory. Sox are just really looking good right now. Even yesterday's game though disappointing had a lot of good effort and they came within a pitch or two of winning it.

PK nice way to make up for that IEDP from yesterday when a flyball might have sealed the deal in the ninth...

:winner

:supernana:

ShoelessJoeS
Good effort by Buehrle tonight, as well as Paulie. Bullpen was a little shaky, but pulled it out.

Jurr
04-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Paulie's offensive approach was awesome. By the way, another game where the Sox kept battling back from deficits.

Play of the game: Paulie's catch in the ninth. Could've been big trouble. :bandance:

soxinthecity
Way to go Paulie!! Nice to see Paulie pull out of his slump.

MarySwiss
I'm just going to refrain from expressing my opinion here. Wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Way to go, Paulie! I'm sure glad they didn't...er....uh..."B" word. :D:

kevingrt
Not the prettiest win but a win is a win.

And it is oh so nice to see PK breaking out of his slump right when the team needs him too.

Etownsox13
04-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Good Ballgame...the 2 we picked up in the top 9 were key

DickAllen72
Very important win. :bandance:

Glad to see Paulie break out of it. :gulp:

ilsox7
Lots of good to go around tonight. Another great starting pitching performance and hats off to PK! I probably would have rested him yesterday or today (as we were discussing over the weekend), but it's great to see him bust out tonight. A hot PK with Thome continually on base means lots of runs!

slobes
04-23-2007, 11:14 PM
One huge overlooked part of the game was Mackowiak moving Crede to second base to set up the tying run for us. Great job just as a team today, glad to see Paulie bust outta that slump.

Fuller_Schettman
04-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Another solid victory. Sox are just really looking good right now. Even yesterday's game though disappointing had a lot of good effort and they came within a pitch or two of winning it.

PK nice way to make up for that IEDP from yesterday when a flyball might have sealed the deal in the ninth...

:winner

:supernana:

Yeah, to think we are 2 strikes from being 12-6! But this team is really coming together nicely. And built for October, unlike last year's model...

MarySwiss
Lots of good to go around tonight. Another great starting pitching performance and hats off to PK! I probably would have rested him yesterday or today (as we were discussing over the weekend), but it's great to see him bust out tonight. a hot PK with Thome continually on base means lots of runs!
Yep! :D:

MCHSoxFan
One huge overlooked part of the game was Mackowiak moving Crede to second base to set up the tying run for us. Great job just as a team today, glad to see Paulie bust outta that slump.

Good point. That was a nice thing to see.

White_Sock
04-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Us being able to be beat the crappy teams this year is huge. This game is a sign of good things to come.

BoysMom3
04-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Way to go, Paulie!!! That bat has warmed up! :cool:

Tragg
04-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Nice win.

I'd forgotten about ole riske.

ilsox7
04-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Nice win.

I'd forgotten about ole riske.

Yea. Good old Riske. I was actually a fan of the trade last year b/c we gave up absolutely nothing for a guy who I thought could be a decent 5th or 6th option out of the bullpen. But man, he has really sucked as of late. It ended up being a garbage in-garbage out trade.

DickAllen72
04-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Erstad had a very good game today as well, on both sides. Big RBI single and a very nice catch in deep center.

thomas35forever
04-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Another game that shouldn't have been close in the ninth inning, but we got the job done. Very encouraging game for Paulie. This is one he can build on.

The Dude
04-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Nice W. We need to win all of these games against KC.:bandance:

Hendu
04-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Welcome back, Mr. Konerko. Nice game all around, except for Sisco. I hope this is the start of another winning streak.

Frontman
04-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Welcome back Paulie. I knew you'd come out of it. (And hell, I almost benched him on my fantasy team. Maybe I should consider it [not do it, but consider it] more often!)

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Ah, that was refreshing to see. This team keeps coming back after losses with 4-5 wins, we're going to be sitting REAL pretty in the division.

:putitontheboard

DickAllen72
04-23-2007, 11:27 PM
I have to admit that I got nervous when I saw Ross Gload coming out to pinch hit.

ilsox7
04-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Welcome back, Mr. Konerko. Nice game all around, except for Sisco. I hope this is the start of another winning streak.

With the schedule the way it is over the next couple of weeks, this team could really rip off a nice streak if it plays like it did tonight.

Tragg
04-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Erstad had a very good game today as well, on both sides. Big RBI single and a very nice catch in deep center.

PUt him in the 8 hole, and I'll shut up and accept the reality; or do that when Pods comes back.

DickAllen72
04-23-2007, 11:31 PM
PUt him in the 8 hole, and I'll shut up and accept the reality; or do that when Pods comes back.
Sounds good to me.

peelwonder
04-23-2007, 11:36 PM
And we Get Floyd's son tomorrow night.

BanditJimmy
04-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Kudos to Ozzie because 9 of 10 managers would have bench Paulie tonight to take a breathe after a miserable weekend.

Now let's get Ozzie to remember that Thornton is his LH 8th inning man and not Sisco.

Sisco and Aardsma will be solid 6-7th inning guys for us this year. Asking them to come in and get big outs in the 8th & 9th innings is a bid of stretch right now.

Every game is huge in this division, makes this win even a better feeling for me to be able to rebound from yesterday's heartbreaker.

Vernam
04-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Somehow, that felt like a game we would've lost last year. The 2007 Sox are looking like a team that doesn't beat themselves very often.

What a shame we won't find out how Paulie would've looked in the 5-hole. :cool:

Vernam

ilsox7
04-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Somehow, that felt like a game we would've lost last year. The 2007 Sox are looking like a team that doesn't beat themselves very often.

Besides the obvious (great pitching), the thing I like most about this team thus far is its ability to come back. They've been down in many ballgames in the last week, but never panicked and scratched their way back into the game.

HotelWhiteSox
04-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Konerko tells the haters to **** off :bandance:

TDog
04-24-2007, 12:01 AM
I just got home to see, happily from the line score, that Konerko didn't sit today as many WSI posters seemed to be demanding. It looked like a great game, even Mark Buehrle gave up a few runs.

balke
04-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I was very happy about Konerko hitting, but about equally as happy to see us have an inning of scoring that wasn't all HR induced.

hi im skot
04-24-2007, 12:06 AM
We've missed you, Paulie!

Glad we were able to get Buehrle the win.

jabrch
04-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Konerko tells the haters to **** off :bandance:

For the record, there are no PK "haters".

There are people unhappy with the performance PK has had up until today, and rightfully so.

peeonwrigley
04-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Um... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1548003#post1548003)

:dumbass:

FielderJones
04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Kudos to Ozzie because 9 of 10 managers would have bench Paulie tonight to take a breath after a miserable weekend.

And yet no kudos in the thread so far to Greg Walker. He's the cause of Paulie's slow start but he had no hand in fixing things for tonight.
:rolleyes:

BanditJimmy
04-24-2007, 12:18 AM

There are people unhappy with the performance PK has had up until today, and rightfully so.

So how does this work, you say one bad thing about a player in disgust to his performance on a given night and then you are considered a hater?

BanditJimmy
04-24-2007, 12:20 AM
And yet no kudos in the thread so far to Greg Walker. He's the cause of Paulie's slow start but he had no hand in fixing things for tonight.

Highly doubt any of the 3-4-5 hitters are looking for Walker's input on how to get off their own slump. Walker's work should be dedicated to the 1-2, 6-9 hitters and the rest of the bench.

FielderJones
04-24-2007, 12:22 AM
So how does this work, you say one bad thing about a player in disgust to his performance on a given night and then you are considered a hater?

No, it has to be fairly obsessive, like shoota for Joe Crede in 2005, and some of the Erstad hate this year. One comment doesn't make you a hater. You have to keep it up.

FielderJones
04-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Highly doubt any of the 3-4-5 hitters are looking for Walker's input on how to get off their own slump. Walker's work should be dedicated to the 1-2, 6-9 hitters and the rest of the bench.

Right, because they can always detect swing flaws on their own and have no need of another pair of eyes. :rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
04-24-2007, 12:35 AM

No. Walker will get kudos when he shows that his primarily right handed hitting team can consistantly hit lefties at least as well as righties, can hit pitchers who throw slower than 90, and aren't prone to prolonged slumps.

Good game tonight. The only bad part was Sisco. He can be frustrating with the BB at times. I expect him to have a rougher road the first half of the season, but to really click in the second half and be lights out.

BanditJimmy
04-24-2007, 12:45 AM
The only bad part was Sisco. He can be frustrating with the BB at times. I expect him to have a rougher road the first half of the season, but to really click in the second half and be lights out.

I don't like is wildness either, especially versus LH hitters. Makes no sense to me.

With is tendancy to get wild, not sure how he can be a candidate for a rotation spot in the future. Pitch counts will kill him.

ilsox7
04-24-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't like is wildness either, especially versus LH hitters. Makes no sense to me.

With is tendancy to get wild, not sure how he can be a candidate for a rotation spot in the future. Pitch counts will kill him.

Well, he could overcome his control issues. If he does that, then he has a shot at being a very good reliever or starting pitcher. If he doesn't overcome those problems, then he will be a journeyman MLB relief pitcher.

oeo
04-24-2007, 01:21 AM
The Sox had, "Wheel in the Sky," blaring in the clubhouse after the game.:?::o::cool::D:

HotelWhiteSox
04-24-2007, 02:04 AM

Yes, there were some idiots (it doesn't all have to be on this board) that think some small sample will be representative of the whole season, and it was embarrasing when I heard them say it out loud

HotelWhiteSox
04-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Great point earlier that we would have lost this game last year. Doesn't matter how it looks, you have to get a win from these crappy teams. The defending AL champ Tigers blew chunks against the 'big boys' in the regular season, but beat up on the KCs

Jurr
04-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Yes, there were some idiots (it doesn't all have to be on this board) that think some small sample will be representative of the whole season, and it was embarrasing when I heard them say it out loud
Yeah, really. I read a great book called The Psychology of Baseball. I think a lot of these people would be well served by reading it. There's a great part about slumps and streaks and how most stats progress/regress to the mean. A guy will slump and have bad numbers over a certain span in the same way that guys can come out of the gates blazing. Over time, though, the exact opposite trend will happen to each player, and it all balances out to the average.

Paulie, AJ, Crede, and Dye will begin to hit and get their numbers between .250 and .300. There is some variance, as some of these guys will have breakout years or down years, but you have to let a chunk of the season play out before making huge blanket statements.

FedEx227
04-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Yeah, really. I read a great book called The Psychology of Baseball. I think a lot of these people would be well served by reading it. There's a great part about slumps and streaks and how most stats progress/regress to the mean. A guy will slump and have bad numbers over a certain span in the same way that guys can come out of the gates blazing. Over time, though, the exact opposite trend will happen to each player, and it all balances out to the average.

Odd, I just started reading that book yesterday. So far I love it.

soxfan13
04-24-2007, 09:59 AM

No not at all, but some people were calling for Paulie to be benched as if he was some first year player that didnt have a history of eventually producing his 30+ home runs and 100 + RBI's

stl_sox_fan
04-24-2007, 10:47 AM
No. Walker will get kudos when he shows that his primarily right handed hitting team can consistantly hit lefties at least as well as righties, can hit pitchers who throw slower than 90, and aren't prone to prolonged slumps.

I cringe every time they go up against the "soft tossin" lefties(Maroth, Moyer, Rogers). I can only hope and pray Maddux never comes to the AL.

INSox56
04-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Besides the obvious (great pitching), the thing I like most about this team thus far is its ability to come back. They've been down in many ballgames in the last week, but never panicked and scratched their way back into the game.Agreed. That was one feeling I really really remember having in 05. If we were within 3 runs towards the end of the game, I ALWAYS had confidence that we could come back. Not like last year where my feeling was, uh oh we're done now. Right or wrong, it's how I felt and I'm really getting a good feeling about getting to teams' pens.

Good to see Paulie back. Looks like the KC mojo had Sisco all kinds of screwed up, hope he comes back better next time. Let's get this next one guys!

Jurr
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I cringe every time they go up against the "soft tossin" lefties(Maroth, Moyer, Rogers). I can only hope and pray Maddux never comes to the AL.
The Sox own Moyer. Maddux has never been that good against the Sox, either.

Anyway, I really don't feel too bad about the Sox going up against these players with the approach they're taking. To start the year, it seemed like everybody was looking to get their power game established. LOOONG swings. Cheating on everything.

The last handful of games, the team has been doing a tremendous job of taking pitches the other way or up the middle, including breaking stuff. That's what happens when you're more concerned with making contact than gearing up for homers. The Sox have kept the line moving, and that's what has led to the rallying ability of the offense. If they can keep up this approach, they're going to be dangerous, because good contact often leads to power numbers as a result. You can hit for contact and still get your homers if you have natural power, and we all know the Sox lineup has that. It's when they force the power that they run into trouble.

stl_sox_fan
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Agreed. That was one feeling I really really remember having in 05. If we were within 3 runs towards the end of the game, I ALWAYS had confidence that we could come back. Not like last year where my feeling was, uh oh we're done now. Right or wrong, it's how I felt and I'm really getting a good feeling about getting to teams' pens.

Good to see Paulie back. Looks like the KC mojo had Sisco all kinds of screwed up, hope he comes back better next time. Let's get this next one guys!

That or the fact of pitching again in a stadium that was barely 20% full. Crickets can get to you man!