PDA

View Full Version : Prior To Have Surgery On Shoulder

Dibbs
04-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet...looks like he is having exploratory surgery on the ol' shoulder.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2847076

eastchicagosoxfan
04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
For Prior's sake he better hope they find something.

daveeym
04-23-2007, 09:13 PM
For Prior's sake he better hope they find something. I'd imagine at a minimum they'll find quite a bit of scar tissue, now whether it's bad enough to explain his problems we'll have to see.

FedEx227
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
For Prior's sake he better hope they find something.

Count me as one who believes he's nothing but a head-case.

Btw, fun fact I learned this is actually his FIRST surgery. So hes missed a majority of his career without ever having surgery.

NoShoesJoe
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Btw, fun fact I learned this is actually his FIRST surgery. So hes missed a majority of his career without ever having surgery.

Right on!

soxinthecity
04-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I heard A report saying he could be out for the rest of the season.
For the rest of the season?, He's never been in.

Soxfanspcu11
04-23-2007, 11:16 PM
This guy must be like a total ******** of a person or something.

The reason that I say that is because he has had the WORST KARMA!!!

Now I know that a lot of people don't believe in that, but personally, I do.

I think that what goes around comes around and that if you treat people like crap and do bad things, bad things will happen to you.

I'm just trying to find a reason why this guy has been totally crapped on by the heavens.

So much talent, so much potential. It really is a shame what has happened to him.

My friend told me today that he saw a bet that just started today involving whether or not Prior would ever pitch in the majors EVER again.

At this point, I would say that he is finished, just my 2 cents.

Unless, the surgery turns out to give him an arm like that kid in Rookie of the Year. lol.

If that does not happen, my guess is that he will never take the mound at the urinal again.

The Dude
04-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet...looks like he is having exploratory surgery on the ol' shoulder.

http://www.facade.com/celebrity/photo/Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg
"That's a shame."

TDog
04-24-2007, 12:20 AM
It's a good thing he set himself up for life when he signed with the Cubs.

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Boy, four years ago the kid had Cy Young written all over him now his career is over. What a shame...I think he might have been on some "stuff" earlier in his career.

AJ Hellraiser
04-24-2007, 01:28 AM

HE IS A HEADCASE... every little pain he thinks is something serious and removes himself from a game or bullpen session....

While interning for Comcast SportsNet last summer, I covered the Cubs a few times.... a member of the team (who will remain nameless) said that it's normal for all pitchers to feel some pain during the year but they don't go crying about it.. Prior feels the same pain any other pitcher feels and he freaks out... (the player did not say this word for word)

pagansoxfan
04-24-2007, 01:35 AM
prior and wood should be in prison for fraud. i personally think prior had zero intention of ever playing for the flubs. i bet as soon as he leaves them, he'll magically be healthy.

IndianWhiteSox
04-24-2007, 02:04 AM

Truer words couldn't have been said.
:cool:

Although then again, would you really want to pitch for the sCrUBS?
:tongue:

dcb56
04-24-2007, 03:02 AM
prior and wood should be in prison for fraud. i personally think prior had zero intention of ever playing for the flubs. i bet as soon as he leaves them, he'll magically be healthy.

That makes no sense. Had he continued to pitch the way he in 2003 he'd be getting Barry Zitoesque number$ right now. I don't know what the deal is with this guy, but to suggest he's dogging it or not pitching becuase of a premeditated plan seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Although then again, would you really want to pitch for the sCrUBS?
:tongue:

What's the major league minimum this year? If I could find that kind of work I'd sign up for it in a heartbeat reagardless the team.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-24-2007, 07:58 AM
It is a weird situation, but IMHO, the Cubs needed to kick him in the ass a long time ago, tell him to suck it up and send his ass out there to pitch. There have been more than a few reports since his first "injuries" about tightness, slight aches and pains in the arm of every pitcher throughout the season. But the Cubs, looking at the POSSIBILITY of the future, handled him with kid gloves and allowed this to happen.

This is Rothchild's (sp?), Hendry's and McFail's bag of **** to deal with. As far as I am concerned, couldn't happen to a better team.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Considering all the diagnostic and imagining equipment medicine has at its disposal, it's bad news when it's time for "exploratory" surgery. I'm sure they'll find "something", but nothing that would explain his problems. But the doc will probably tighten the shoulder ligaments since they're in there. In that case, he'll be gone at least for the rest of the year until it heals and he can get it stretched back out, if ever.

rdwj
04-24-2007, 08:37 AM
They should check to see if he has an overactive sissy gland. He has all the symptoms

Jose.Contreras
04-24-2007, 09:04 AM

I have TWO inside sources that have confirmed with me that Jim hendry will only address Mark Prior as MRS. PRIOR! Hendry referes to him as Mrs. Prior to everyone in the Cubs organization. HAHAHA. Hendry absolutley loathes him. Let's just say that Hendry feels as though Mark Prior is the biggest "you know what" that he has ever come across in the game of baseball. Man, it makes things really easy being a Cub hater. Mark Prior....what a joke that guy is.

Luke
04-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Considering all the diagnostic and imagining equipment medicine has at its disposal, it's bad news when it's time for "exploratory" surgery. I'm sure they'll find "something", but nothing that would explain his problems. But the doc will probably tighten the shoulder ligaments since they're in there. In that case, he'll be gone at least for the rest of the year until it heals and he can get it stretched back out, if ever.

I had my shoulder scoped in February. Here's what I can tell you;

I had an MRI with contrast (which is about the best diagnostic out there) and two doctors couldn't agree if I had a torn rotator or possibly a labral tear. It's really, really hard to diagnose that stuff. It turns out I just had a bad impingement that needed minor work. You just ca't tell till you scope it. If impingement is the case, he might be back this year (I'm throwing at about 85% right now) If it's anything more, yeah, he's done for the year.

As far as tightening the ligaments, I don't think they can do that. There's a capsular shrinkage that they did a few years ago, but I think it had a very low success rate.

Lastly (and most entertaining) I was talking to my physical therapist about this (he used to play ball at UIC) and his educated guess was that it's all mental, and it's most likely that Prior is done...forever. He'll just never be what he was even if he keeps pitching.

Jerko
04-24-2007, 10:00 AM
No matter what the injury is, I think he's done for a while, if not for good. He was overly cautious BEFORE he had surgery; I'm sure every twinge he feels afterwards will be at least a month off. I'll wait to say that I think it's all in his head until the results of this scope come back; guy could have had this injury for a few years now for all we know. I doubt it though.

daveeym
04-24-2007, 10:15 AM

I had an MRI with contrast (which is about the best diagnostic out there) and two doctors couldn't agree if I had a torn rotator or possibly a labral tear. It's really, really hard to diagnose that stuff. It turns out I just had a bad impingement that needed minor work. You just ca't tell till you scope it. If impingement is the case, he might be back this year (I'm throwing at about 85% right now) If it's anything more, yeah, he's done for the year.

As far as tightening the ligaments, I don't think they can do that. There's a capsular shrinkage that they did a few years ago, but I think it had a very low success rate.

Lastly (and most entertaining) I was talking to my physical therapist about this (he used to play ball at UIC) and his educated guess was that it's all mental, and it's most likely that Prior is done...forever. He'll just never be what he was even if he keeps pitching.
I hear that, these idiots above have no clue. Same deal with me in college. MRI's didn't really show much.

They passed them around and around on up to experts who finally said they thought they saw something there.

Ended up having Tommy John surgery 1st. The doctors, plural, said that the ligament was in the worst shape they've ever seen one, without it actually snapping. Just a mass of mush and no definition to it when there should have been 3 distinct bands.

Same deal happened with the shoulder after the elbow. Passed around MRI's until an MRI expert said there was enough reason to go in look. Had a shredded labrum that needed cleaning up, they shaved off some bone and removed the bursa sac.

Odds are alot of people are going to look like fools when it comes to their armchair doctoring. Now whether Prior plays again or plays for the Cubs again, that's another story.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-24-2007, 10:15 AM
I have TWO inside sources that have confirmed with me that Jim hendry will only address Mark Prior as MRS. PRIOR! Hendry referes to him as Mrs. Prior to everyone in the Cubs organization. HAHAHA. Hendry absolutley loathes him. Let's just say that Hendry feels as though Mark Prior is the biggest "you know what" that he has ever come across in the game of baseball. Man, it makes things really easy being a Cub hater. Mark Prior....what a joke that guy is.

Do these sources also live in Phoenix and hang around at the airport baggage claim areas?

Luke
04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I hear that, these idiots above have no clue. Same deal with me in college. MRI's didn't really show much.

They passed them around and around on up to experts who finally said they thought they saw something there.

Ended up having Tommy John surgery 1st. The doctors, plural, said that the ligament was in the worst shape they've ever seen one, without it actually snapping. Just a mass of mush and no definition to it when there should have been 3 distinct bands.

Same deal happened with the shoulder after the elbow. Passed around MRI's until an MRI expert said there was enough reason to go in look. Had a shredded labrum that needed cleaning up, they shaved off some bone and removed the bursa sac.

Odds are alot of people are going to look like fools when it comes to their armchair doctoring. Now whether Prior plays again or plays for the Cubs again, that's another story.

Ouch man. The second doctor I went to, who happens to be one of the Sox team doctors at Rush, said that if you look hard enough, you can find some damage in just about everyone's shoulder. They can probably find some damage in Prior's shoulder if they look, but I think what the guy really needs is a CAT scan...that's the area of the body where they'll find the damage.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the update. I hope you are recovering well. The last time I had joint work I was dealing with 1985 technology. It sounds like, however, that there was agreement that you had some physical issue, they just weren't sure what. Fair enough, but, beyond the loose capsule, has anyone, via test or examination, ever found anything remotely wrong with Prior's shoulder?

I've heard one story of a hockey player who had ligament tightening to try to prevent constantly dislocating his shoulder.

I agree with your therapist.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I hear that, these idiots above have no clue.

:rolleyes: Nice. There's no need to call people names. How do you know none of these people aren't doctors, therapists, trainers, or biomedical engineers who might have some professional insight? The last thing you want to do is let someone cut on you if they don't know what they're looking for. I work with a guy who went in for back surgery because the doctors thought he had a tumor on his spine although nothing was apparent from the MRI. Now he's in a wheelchair.

They'll probably find a little something, due a token clean up, and declare everything ok. Prior will feel a placebo affect from the surgery, but he'll still need his head fixed.

daveeym
04-24-2007, 11:24 AM
:rolleyes: Nice. There's no need to call people names. How do you know none of these people aren't doctors, therapists, trainers, or biomedical engineers who might have some professional insight? The last thing you want to do is let someone cut on you if they don't know what they're looking for. I work with a guy who went in for back surgery because the doctors thought he had a tumor on his spine although nothing was apparent from the MRI. Now he's in a wheelchair.

They'll probably find a little something, due a token clean up, and declare everything ok. Prior will feel a placebo affect from the surgery, but he'll still need his head fixed. You shouldn't be offended, you're not one of em just hating since he's a Cub and the Messiah.
:wink:

soxfanatlanta
04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
They'll probably find a little something, due a token clean up, and declare everything ok. Prior will feel a placebo affect from the surgery, but he'll still need his head fixed.

Perhaps they could give him a lobotomy. :tongue:

I was listening to XM yesterday afternoon and they interviewed Mike Marshall during the show. He was quite adamant that Prior did not need surgery; the pain was "normal" wear and tear. All I could think was that this guy probably never even met Prior, and somehow he knows the exact remedy needed. I don't want to discredit Marshall, but the truth is that neither he nor anybody on this message board does; it's all armchair doctoring. Yes it's fun to guess what the deal is, but the bottom line is that we won't know until they go in and have a looksy.

Personally, I hope Prior gets better and does something...hell anything to salvage his career.

Luke
04-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the update. I hope you are recovering well. The last time I had joint work I was dealing with 1985 technology. It sounds like, however, that there was agreement that you had some physical issue, they just weren't sure what. Fair enough, but, beyond the loose capsule, has anyone, via test or examination, ever found anything remotely wrong with Prior's shoulder?

I've heard one story of a hockey player who had ligament tightening to try to prevent constantly dislocating his shoulder.

I know there's a shrinkage procedure, but maybe any docs here could talk about tightening. I always assumed it was more a repair of a SLAP lesion.

I should have clarified. You're right, the docs I saw both said I had really bad bursitis, and a hooked acromion. There were some images that might have been tears as well. They went in certain that the bursa would be fixed, and if there was anything else, they would take care of that.

They didn't go in there poking around hoping to find something, which is what it sounds like they're doing here.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2007, 11:47 AM
You shouldn't be offended, you're not one of em just hating since he's a Cub and the Messiah.
:wink:

Ok, thanks. I have no problem with you offending other people. :D:

FedEx227
04-24-2007, 12:25 PM

I was listening to XM yesterday afternoon and they interviewed Mike Marshall during the show. He was quite adamant that Prior did not need surgery; the pain was "normal" wear and tear. All I could think was that this guy probably never even met Prior, and somehow he knows the exact remedy needed. I don't want to discredit Marshall, but the truth is that neither he nor anybody on this message board does; it's all armchair doctoring. Yes it's fun to guess what the deal is, but the bottom line is that we won't know until they go in and have a looksy.

Personally, I hope Prior gets better and does something...hell anything to salvage his career.

Please. The man has been on the DL 9 times and has required surgery not once until now.

soxfanatlanta
04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Please. The man has been on the DL 9 times and has required surgery not once until now.

So the lobotomy is a valid treatment! :smile:

daveeym
04-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Marshall also has now become a pitching mechanics expert and hocks his own line of products or camps, he better hope he's right or he's going to look bad.

BlackAndWhite
04-24-2007, 03:48 PM
looks like he is having exploratory surgery

Apparently, they're searching for his career.:D:

(Stolen shamelessly from Fark.com)

veeter
04-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Prior just needs Dr. Nick Rivera. Then he could have a leg for an arm, and an arm for a leg. He could throw 110 mph with those calves.

Soxfanspcu11
04-25-2007, 05:11 AM
I work with a guy who went in for back surgery because the doctors thought he had a tumor on his spine although nothing was apparent from the MRI. Now he's in a wheelchair.

:?:
I am VERY SORRY for what happened to your co-worker, that is incredibly unfortunate.

However, I must ask, who was your co-worker's doctor?? Dr. Nick Riviera??

It is 2007. The fact that a mistake of monumental proportions such as this could take place in this day and age is sickenining and unacceptable.

Let me put it this way....

A very close family member of mine has bad 2 anueryisms(sp) in his lifetime.

The first in 1981 and the 2nd in 2006. The doctors told us that the technology that exists now (2006) compared to then, is night and day.

The medical field is just so much more advanced. We know SOOOOOO much more now and how to treat it then we did then.

A mistake of this magnitude should NEVER happen in 2007. I don't even know how this could happen!!!

But as far as Mark Prior goes, at least he will have plenty of time now to play around on Myspace.:rolleyes:

SBSoxFan
04-25-2007, 10:57 AM
:?:
I am VERY SORRY for what happened to your co-worker, that is incredibly unfortunate.

However, I must ask, who was your co-worker's doctor?? Dr. Nick Riviera??

It is 2007. The fact that a mistake of monumental proportions such as this could take place in this day and age is sickenining and unacceptable.

Let me put it this way....

A very close family member of mine has bad 2 anueryisms(sp) in his lifetime.

The first in 1981 and the 2nd in 2006. The doctors told us that the technology that exists now (2006) compared to then, is night and day.

The medical field is just so much more advanced. We know SOOOOOO much more now and how to treat it then we did then.

A mistake of this magnitude should NEVER happen in 2007. I don't even know how this could happen!!!

But as far as Mark Prior goes, at least he will have plenty of time now to play around on Myspace.:rolleyes:

Thanks. He has an amazingly good attitude about it. Better then mine would be anyway! I'm just not a real big fan of "western" medicine. It works best in acute trauma cases, IMO. Other than that, I think we over medicate and over "surgerize". Having said that, we've put doctors in a bad position. They're expected to know everything, on the spot, about the most complicated system you could imagine. And when they don't, or they screw up, they get sued. It's a bad situation all around.

So, who the heck is Dr. Nick Riviera?

whitesoxfan1986
04-25-2007, 11:05 AM
So, who the heck is Dr. Nick Riviera?
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7PrB0dO9VJupDM:http://www.24-7simpsons.com/dr.nick_pic1.jpg (http://www.24-7simpsons.com/dr.nick_pic1.jpg)
Hi everybody!

gobears1987
04-25-2007, 11:32 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7PrB0dO9VJupDM:http://www.24-7simpsons.com/dr.nick_pic1.jpg (http://www.24-7simpsons.com/dr.nick_pic1.jpg)
Hi everybody!
Hi Dr. Nick!

SBSoxFan
04-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi everybody!

d'oh! :redface:

cws05champ
04-25-2007, 11:40 AM
UPDATE: The results of Prior's surgery just came in. Here is the quote from Dr. James Andrews:

" The procedure went well, however we found some odd things in the shoulder. There were these two lumps, round in shape and very sensitive to the touch. We removed these lumps and had to perform another surgury in the groin area to place these in the proper place. Mrs. err... Mr. Prior should be ready to go in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. We expect him to make a full recovery"

:D: :D:

veeter
04-25-2007, 01:10 PM
UPDATE: The results of Prior's surgery just came in. Here is the quote from Dr. James Andrews:

" The procedure went well, however we found some odd things in the shoulder. There were these two lumps, round in shape and very sensitive to the touch. We removed these lumps and had to perform another surgury in the groin area to place these in the proper place. Mrs. err... Mr. Prior should be ready to go in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. We expect him to make a full recovery"

:D: :D:I love it.

twsoxfan5
04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
My buddy who works at ESPN just told me that he will be out for about a year and a half. I don't have the details of what they found yet but I will let you know when I do.

thedudeabides
04-25-2007, 01:55 PM

:D: :D:

I can't stop laughing. :D:

SBSoxFan
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
The actual (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070425cubsprior,1,3484011.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)results.

FedEx227
04-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Shocking, absolutely shocking. I don't know how I'm suppose to take this news, I'm in a complete world of shock. Are you sure its MARK Prior? THE MARK PRIOR?

No....way....

Beer Can Chicken
04-25-2007, 04:48 PM
The actual (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070425cubsprior,1,3484011.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)results.

Notice how they say his ERA in 2003 was 4.24 when it was actually 2.43?? At least it isn't SOX stats they consistently screw up.

SBSoxFan
04-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Notice how they say his ERA in 2003 was 4.24 when it was actually 2.43?? At least it isn't SOX stats they consistently screw up.

Ha. I did not notice that.

Dibbs
04-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I still don't understand what is wrong with Prior??? Look what Hendry says....this is classic stuff. It explains nothing.

"It stayed in the arthroscopic stage. But I think he had some touch up work in a lot of places," Hendry said. "But at the same time there didn't seem to be anything so significant that it would require more than the scope. It didn't have to be opened up and have extensive surgery."

Jerome
04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
out for the year?? damn

I knew he wasn't gonna pitch much this year but i just assumed on his usual routine of few starts here and there with occasional trips to the DL / minors for rehab

daveeym
04-25-2007, 06:29 PM
I still don't understand what is wrong with Prior??? Look what Hendry says....this is classic stuff. It explains nothing.

"It stayed in the arthroscopic stage. But I think he had some touch up work in a lot of places," Hendry said. "But at the same time there didn't seem to be anything so significant that it would require more than the scope. It didn't have to be opened up and have extensive surgery."That's Hendry starting to show Prior the door and throwing him under the bus. Maybe he's a bit uninformed, but I doubt it. They don't often "open up" a shoulder. Even if he had a full torn labrum they'd probably scope it.

thomas35forever
04-25-2007, 11:45 PM
If Prior pitches with another team and becomes a Cy Young candidate, well...that just says a lot about the Cubs organization.

Soxfanspcu11
04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi everybody!

Hi Dr. Nick!

Did you guys go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical Collegel too?? :D:

SBSoxFan
04-26-2007, 10:59 AM

"It stayed in the arthroscopic stage. But I think he had some touch up work in a lot of places," Hendry said. "But at the same time there didn't seem to be anything so significant that it would require more than the scope. It didn't have to be opened up and have extensive surgery."

I was curious about this too. The report was blatantly nondescript. I'm wondering if you looked at any pitchers shoulder if they would have similar damage too. I'm happy to admit to being an armchair doctor, but not based on this.

Vernam
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
What's up with Hendry still trying to pretend Prior isn't actually hurt?! Even after the 'scope, he kept emphasizing that what they found and cleaned up "wasn't different from what you'd find if you went into any other major-league pitcher's shoulder." :?: Either he's trying to reinforce the suspicion that Prior's a head case, or he's trying to rationalize the fact that the team has been blatantly lying about his condition since the phony Achilles Tendon in Spring 2004.

Vernam

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-26-2007, 12:54 PM
But I think he had some touch up work in a lot of places," Hendry said.....

What is he, a Buick at Earl Scheib?

Oh well, at least the towels can get a year off from their training regiment.

Luke
04-26-2007, 01:34 PM
I was curious about this too. The report was blatantly nondescript. I'm wondering if you looked at any pitchers shoulder if they would have similar damage too. I'm happy to admit to being an armchair doctor, but not based on this.

You could probably find rotator cuff, or labral damage in most MLB pitcher's shoulders. As a matter of fact you could probably find nominal RC damage in a fair amount of the general population.

chaerulez
04-26-2007, 05:58 PM
What's up with Hendry still trying to pretend Prior isn't actually hurt?! Even after the 'scope, he kept emphasizing that what they found and cleaned up "wasn't different from what you'd find if you went into any other major-league pitcher's shoulder." :?: Either he's trying to reinforce the suspicion that Prior's a head case, or he's trying to rationalize the fact that the team has been blatantly lying about his condition since the phony Achilles Tendon in Spring 2004.

Vernam

The Cubs since I think 2005 have basically hinted at the fact that there never has been anything seriously wrong with Prior. Most of the organization believes he just doesn't know how to or won't play through the pain.

StillMissOzzie
04-26-2007, 07:13 PM
That makes no sense. Had he continued to pitch the way he in 2003 he'd be getting Barry Zitoesque number$ right now. I don't know what the deal is with this guy, but to suggest he's dogging it or not pitching becuase of a premeditated plan seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Well, yes and no. While he did dupe the Cubs out of $3.5M after exercising an out clause in his contract to allow for arbitration AND asking for a raise for 2007 following his stellar performance in 2006, I was somewhat delighted to learn that his demotion to AAA to start this year means that he will get NO MLB credit for service in 2007, pushing his free agency back another year.

On the other hand, speculation now is that the Cubs non-tender him for 2008, so maybe Boras will find a new sucker for his client after all.

Edit: I just saw in the Cubune that Prior is now represented by John Boggs and not the evil Scott Boras. SMO regrets the error.

SMO
:gulp: